Dairy-free Probiotics without FOS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had an appointment with the nutritionist today and got back results of my stool test. Apparently I have no good bacteria in my gut so she says I need to add some probiotic supplements (in addition to fermented foods). But we think DD may be sensitive to FOS and I know she reacts to dairy (and she previously reacted to dairy-based probiotics). Does anyone know of a dairy-free probiotic supplement that does not have FOS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 AM

We need a sticky somewhere for this, to compile the list of ALL the probiotics, which ones have or don't have FOS, dairy, corn, etc. We have enough experience here. I practically have a full health food store shelf of probiotics in my fridge.

The ones I know that are dairy and FOS-free:

Pharmax HLC Intensive has no dairy and no FOS/inulin.

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC...le_p_0-63.html

They have some that have FOS and some that don't. I know that one has no FOS. They are super helpful if you call them.

Custom Probiotics also has dairy-free and FOS/inulin-free.

http://www.customprobiotics.com/pricing.htm

They have some already formulated, or you can also ask them to formulate one for you with just the strains you want in it.

Those are the only two I know for sure.

I have not actually talked to these people, but these Biogaia probiotic drops look dairy-free and FOS-free to me at first glance. You might want to call first and be sure.

http://www.colichelp.com/shop/biogai...tic-drops.html
#3 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Pharmax HLC Intensive has no dairy and no FOS/inulin.
But the Pharmax HLC High Potency do have FOS... so be careful. They have like a million varieties with really similar names.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!
#5 of 19 Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I just had an appointment with the nutritionist today and got back results of my stool test. Apparently I have no good bacteria in my gut so she says I need to add some probiotic supplements (in addition to fermented foods). But we think DD may be sensitive to FOS and I know she reacts to dairy (and she previously reacted to dairy-based probiotics). Does anyone know of a dairy-free probiotic supplement that does not have FOS?

Water kefir.

Kombucha.

Bubbies sauerkraut and dill pickles.

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 19 Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have another question on this. I was considering the Custom Priobitics capsules (http://www.customprobiotics.com/acid...us-pricing.htm), but it says "Each capsule also contains microcrystalline cellulose, a non-digestible, completely hypoallergenic fiber which is used as a carrier." I have no idea what this is. I sent them an email asking what it was derived from and they said it was cellulose and very inert. They also said I could get one of the powders which did not contain the microcrystalline cellulose. I think I would feel more comfortable with the powder so I'm thinking of buying this:

Custom probiotic blend of six cultures, 260 billion cfu per gram. It consists of L. Acidophilus, L. Salivarius, L. Plantarum, L. Rhamnosus, B. Lactis and B. Bifidum.

It is really expensive so I thought I would check here for comments before I splurge on it. Also, do you think this would work for DD also (she is 8 mo)? Alternatively I could get her the B. Infantis or this blend:

D-Lactate free probiotic formulation, most specific for autistic children. It consists of L. Salivarius, L. Rhamnosus, B. Bifidum and B. Infantis at 250 billion cfu's/gram.

What do you think?
#7 of 19 Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM

Sorry, what's FOS again? Can someone add that to the abbreviations thread?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Custom Probiotics is good. As for the strains, I have no idea, other than that the bifidus is supposed to the main one in infants an toddlers. But I think Calm on the CSS thread said something good about rhamnosus, and she used that for her ds babe with eczema. I wold go very slow with the probiotics and don't change anything else while you introduce them. You might try starting with just you first.

FOS means Fructooligosaccharides, and there are a lot of people who say they are good and only feed the god bacteria. And then there are a lot of people who say they are not good and that they also can feed the bad bacteria. I am in the camp that they are not good, and you are better off avoiding them. I think we were sensitive and had negative reactions to the probiotics with FOS.
#9 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 AM

We had trouble with both FOS and dairy too. I was able to use the HMF Intensive with good success. My DD used the HMF Powder. We're currently both using Kirkman Bifido Complex. My daughters poop has become TOTALLY normal since starting this one.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#10 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
We had trouble with both FOS and dairy too. I was able to use the HMF Intensive with good success. My DD used the HMF Powder. We're currently both using Kirkman Bifido Complex. My daughters poop has become TOTALLY normal since starting this one.
I thought Kirkman Labs had FOS in it. Is that incorrect? That would be great because I already have that one, but I do think DD reacted to it (although it has been months since I last tried it).
#11 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Really? That is awesome! I am trying to figure out what probiotic to try next. We started the SCD and actually stopped all probiotics, and now that things are going well, I am thinking about trying one again. We aren't getting any from food or supps right now, and I feel like they must need some at least.

Do you think the HMF powder helped, and then the Kirkman Bifido helped even more? Like, do you think it was because of both that now her poops are normal? Or do you think it was just the Kirkman Bifido?

What about the VSL3, did you guys wind up ever trying that?

SO many probiotic choices! Thank you for sharing.
#12 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I thought Kirkman Labs had FOS in it. Is that incorrect? That would be great because I already have that one, but I do think DD reacted to it (although it has been months since I last tried it).
Oh yeah, I just looked it up and it does. It has inulin.
#13 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 03:50 PM

The Kirkman Bifido Complex that I have says Inulin, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-07), Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-04), Silicon Dioxide, Plant Cellulose Capsule. No FOS.

The HMF Neuro Powder helped until DD sensitized to it. But the Kirkman Bifido has really done wonders for DD.

I used the VSL3# for awhile and didn't really notice anything wonderful in myself. I never started DD on it because of corn.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#14 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Klaire probiotics?

http://www.klaire.com/probioticleader.htm

Ds's nutraeval test showed he had no lactobacillus at all and that he has some yeast overgrowth.

Klaire has a lot of different types of probiotics, I think one that is SCD approved. The choices are just overwhelming though. Ds can't of dairy either.
#15 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The Kirkman Bifido Complex that I have says Inulin, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-07), Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-04), Silicon Dioxide, Plant Cellulose Capsule. No FOS.
Inulin is a type of FOS.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#16 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Klaire probiotics?

http://www.klaire.com/probioticleader.htm

Ds's nutraeval test showed he had no lactobacillus at all and that he has some yeast overgrowth.

Klaire has a lot of different types of probiotics, I think one that is SCD approved. The choices are just overwhelming though. Ds can't of dairy either.
I think that there are only two that are SCD compliant. This one is okay because it is only plain L acidophilus, which is technically the only legal strain, and doesn't have any FOS. And then they also have an S Boulardii that is okay for SCD, because they say you can also do that particular yeast, and the one by Klaire doesn't have any illegals.

I think almost all the other Klaire probiotics have FOS or inulin. We did the Ther Biotic Complete over the summer, and they helped some to firm up the stools at first (we were having D and loose mushy stools that fell apart in the water) but over time I think they actually caused more problems, because then we wound up with more problems, like blood and mucus in the stools, and severe yeast issues, like a very bad diaper rash (even without diapers), itchy bottom, etc. I think either we were sensitive to the FOS, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Inulin is a type of FOS.

Here's a link about inulin and FOS. Scroll down a bit to the heading that says "Making a Case Against FOS and Inulin". There are people both for and against it.
#17 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

I think almost all the other Klaire probiotics have FOS or inulin. We did the Ther Biotic Complete over the summer, and they helped some to firm up the stools at first (we were having D and loose mushy stools that fell apart in the water) but over time I think they actually caused more problems, because then we wound up with more problems, like blood and mucus in the stools, and severe yeast issues, like a very bad diaper rash (even without diapers), itchy bottom, etc. I think either we were sensitive to the FOS, or something.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
#18 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. So maybe we were just intolerant of HMF's brand of FOS? Or perhaps we outgrew it?

#19 of 19 Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM

There might also be a difference in the amount. I think if it has inulin, that's what they have probably used to grow the probiotic on. When they have FOS, they have added FOS as an additional supplement to the product because some people believe it functions as a "prebiotic" and helps the good bacteria to proliferate. This is just a thought, I don't know this for sure.

User Tag List