can you be allergic to oranges but not tangerines?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, thats probably a dumb question, but I was off all citrus almost this whole time until a month or so ago my grandpa brought over a huge bag of tangerines from his tree so I ate some and DD was fine. However, I got a little too confident in the fact that we passed corn (: even her face totally cleared so I knew it was unrelated!) and decided to eat an orange the other day, thinking "all citrus is the same", and now DD has a diaper rash. So I know that appears to answer my question, but the real question here is: do I eat more tangerines or not risk it? I think she may also be reactive to lemon but I haven't trialed it and don't intend to. And on the other hand shes intolerant to all nightshades EXCEPT potato, so it wouldn't be a first, though I see citrus as closer related that nightshades for some reason...

I hope everyone is doing well, my computer has been acting up so I haven't been active here lately.

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yup, it's possible to be allergic to one kind of food but not to another, very similar food- or you can be allergic to a whole group of similar foods, or to most foods in a category except for one.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 4 Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Yes, I think it's possible. My dd has been eating oranges/drinking orange juice just fine for a while, but when she ate some tangerines recently, she broke out. Go figure.

ETA: She also tolerates grapefruit and lemon juice, so it's definitely just a tangerine thing.
#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Allergic reactions usually do not become evident until the 2nd exposure, then exposure to that particular substance, food, etc, whatever it is, gets worst with every exposure. Hence, while she may have a rash now, centralized to one portion of the body, the next time she eats tangerine, she may get a rash all over her body, and the next time after that perhaps something worst.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page