eczema on neck and butt cheeks?(neck pics in post 4) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm really starting to wonder if DD's rashes are weather related and not food intolerance issues. she's had a rash on her neck since Oct. i've tried several natural eczema creams/lotions with no luck. i can't seem to find a pattern with food intake and flare ups. we are back on a ED but it's slow going. in just the last day or two her butt cheeks have gotten very red and dry. it look just like her neck. she is pants free when we're home so her tush gets cold and come in contact many things. she can use the potty with no assistance this way. i don't know what to think. she's not showing many signs of food intolerances other then the rash. could she just have really, really sensitive skin or should i keep looking for food issues? should i try to get some pictures of her neck to show you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 AM

Pictures help. The rash on the neck could be shampoo?

The butt rash sounds topical. What about some loose panties, so they are easier to get on/off when she needs to go.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

she doesn't get shampoo'd and only a drop of soap on her tush once or twice a week. she's not letting me take pictures tonight. i'll try to get something in the morning.

i've tried putting her in loose pants and undies but she will not pull them down on her own. she calls for me but sometimes i can't get to her in time.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

DD wouldn't let me take really good pics but i took these about a week ago. the skin is like leather and flakes off.

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/4...104/211837.jpg

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/4...104/211904.jpg

this one is really blurry but you can see how red it gets
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/4...104/211911.jpg

her tush looks very similar. i had her in pants as much as possible the last two days and it hasn't improved much.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 AM

Looks like eczema to me. Probably secondary to some food intolerance, in that location.

What about a pet allergy? But, it looks like a food reaction. Have you tried a food journal, or avoiding the heavy allergens for a week and see if it clears?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

i went on a TED about a year ago. never got to a baseline. i just(two weeks ago) went off dairy, soy, citrus, tomatoes. i'll be pulling wheat/gluten this week. we had muscle testing last July and it only showed positive for dairy and citrus. we tested almost 60 foods/subsistences including the top 8. she shows no signs of intestinal issues now, just the rash. it was suggested by another MDC that i get scratch testing down on her. i'm going to make an appointment for a referral for an allergist. i've tried the natural route but i think it's time for a little western medicine help.

this is a random thought, if she reacted to her Fuzzi Bunz, nearly blistering rash, could she be reacting to other synthetic fibers? she mostly sleeps in a polyester body suit.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Is there something different in the collar of the pjs from the rest of the fabric? Some elastic, zipper, buttons, embroidery, design, iron on, glue, Velcro, ties, ribbons, bows, ...

I gather that you all are nursing. The muscle testing was done on *her* reactivity to foods, correct? When nursing, the child is generally responding to undigested proteins and the histamine reaction of the mother. So, the muscle testing would need to be on your food intolerances, imo.

We do classical homeopathy, it has the benefit of healing, not just "testing for" intolerances. The concern with an allopathic approach is that it only addresses the symptoms; and the treatment often has other side-effects. At the moment, she just has a rash, it is merely a cue of an underlying imbalance. If the rash is suppressed, the imbalance remains. The imbalance results in *other* immunity problems, generally asthma.

What it sounds like you'd like, is a diagnosis. Unfortunately, western medicine hasn't created a very accurate diagnostic measure for food intolerances, especially in young (nursing) children. The rash may not be an IgE "allergy" (anaphlactic). However, food intolerances (IgG) when consumed, lead to leaky gut, and thus auto-immune issues. The gut is 70% of our immune system.

The key, imo, would be to do the testing on yourself AND to heal your gut. Add gut healing measures, such as coconut oil, cod liver oil, magnesium, zinc, vit A, B, C, D, E, bone broths, fermented vegetables (Bubbies sauerkraut and dill pickles), whole food probiotics, etc.

Hope that helps. If this is confusing, please do ask more questions. You can do both, diagnostic approaches and natural healing. The more you understand about the reacting/healing process, the more empowered you are to seek the answers you need. It is frustrating! The "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet" is a wonderful resource to start: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 PM

meg, i just wanted to bump this up and see how your gluten-free time has been going? my son's rash looks just like your daughters and we are stumped too.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 AM

Hi. Our 4 month old little one has newly acquired and awful eczema on her neck, elbows, knees, and splotches on her back. The first bad flare-up happened about 10 days ago after she wore (a gift) polyester fleece sweatshirt without a cotton shirt under it--we felt awful! I can definitely vouch for the help of all-natural 100% cotton for eczema babies. If your little one is toileting, I'd definitely advocate cotton training pants for sleeping (organic, untreated wool soakers can be great for sleep pants that will still let her skin breathe).

Our ped said today (in for check-up, not eczema) that he'd like to medicate with a topical steroid cream and I'm so hesitant to start that. Have you found anything yet that seems to help your DD feel more comfortable? (We're also dairy, citrus, soy, wheat, and many other-foods free and nursing!)
Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Pat- thanks for your post. i think i missed it the first time. i agree that i need to sort out my issues. i'm having such a hard time with all this i can barely cope with DD issues and put myself on the back burner.

riomidwife- the WF/GF is going slow. i haven't been able to afford to restock my pantry but i'm keeping DD and i off as much as possible. another paycheck or two and i should be able to be WF/GF.

about 2 weeks ago i stopped using the poly jammies. we also started seeing a chiro around that time. i'm not sure if they have anything to do with each other but her neck looked like it was healing up. it was not nearly as red and stopped spreading.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM

The neck rash looks exactly like DS's when we've been out somewhere.
We've left several parties/functions and his face and neck will be bright red.
I don't know if it's due to food particles and people touching him, or something environmental. It has only happened a couple of times at home, and I think I narrowed it down to something DH was eating, then touched DS without washing his hands first.

It's a frustrating process - good luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWMontessoriMommy View Post
The first bad flare-up happened about 10 days ago after she wore (a gift) polyester fleece sweatshirt without a cotton shirt under it--we felt awful! I can definitely vouch for the help of all-natural 100% cotton for eczema babies.(We're also dairy, citrus, soy, wheat, and many other-foods free and nursing!)
This is interesting! My son's eczema started up right after he started getting attached to a polyester blanket. I was convinced it was coincidental, but DP is convinced it's synthetic fibers. We've been dairy/gluten/soy/corn for three+ weeks now, and I really wasn't seeing any improvement, in fact some of the flare ups seemed worse. We took away all polyesters and the blanket though, and since we've been clearing up for the most part! Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
i'm having such a hard time with all this i can barely cope with DD issues and put myself on the back burner.

riomidwife- the WF/GF is going slow. i haven't been able to afford to restock my pantry but i'm keeping DD and i off as much as possible. another paycheck or two and i should be able to be WF/GF.
Meg, I have been having a hard time too with all this. Some days I just throw my head in my lap and sob. Will I ever figure this all out? I can't DO this for year?!?!? And I hear you on the $$$$$$ Gluten-free "replacement" foods are expensive and can easily double your grocery bill. We've been doing a LOT of rice, beans, and veggies.

User Tag List