RANT! Nutrition Now PB8 Vegetarian "dairy-free" probiotics NOT dairy-free!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arg!!!!!!! So mad. :

The label states:
Quote:
"This product contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Contains no wheat (gluten), eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy or salt. Dairy Free."
Their reply via email (excerpt):
Quote:
The Vegetarian PB8 is cultured(grown)using a combination of vitamins, minerals and dairy proteins. However, there is a proprietary method used to remove all the medium prior to encapsulation.
Me = hopping mad. That is SO not dairy-free. I asked for my money back. Lily got hives up and down her arms, neck, ears, etc after we tried them. So angry, mamas. Seeing RED.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#2 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I am hopping mad with you. That frustrates me beyond belief. Why bother going to the trouble of putting "dairy free" on the label if it's frickin grown on DAIRY. Why don't people get it? They have to realize that people can still react to it, even after their stupid "proprietary process" of removing the proteins.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM

I wish there was more that we could do than just request our money back. One of these days, someone is going to *die* thanks to crap like this.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM

I think actually that they're required to take a report about the allergic reaction (if you tell them). I don't know what happens with it beyond that.... can you report it to the FDA or something?

#5 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#6 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I would love it if they would be financially responsible for any care my daughter might need related to exposure to a known allergen. But how do you assess that?

At least I know why she had a #2 accident the other day. (She's been using the toilet for almost 14m with exactly two accidents - allergy related - up to now.)

ETA: I told them the product gave her hives and that she has a known allergy. Is that enough? Any one else I can/should contact? I'm going to tell the co-op I bought them from that the labels are mis-leading.

#7 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
ETA: I told them the product gave her hives and that she has a known allergy. Is that enough? Any one else I can/should contact? I'm going to tell the co-op I bought them from that the labels are mis-leading.
I'm not sure who to contact. When I told the company about my reaction to their enzymes (and I just mentioned it because I was trying to find out about ingredients, not because I was calling to complain about the reaction.), they asked me all sorts of questions, emailed me a form to fill out... said that they were required to file a report about it.

#8 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM

I'd consider a governmental product protection organization, either in your state or in the state they're based in. Something along the lines of a state attorney's general office or something--it's just a flat-out lie to say dairy-free when it's clearly not.
#9 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

They (Nutrition Now) are issuing me a refund. No mention of reporting adverse/allergic response.

/nak

#10 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM

They are required to fill out a form and do a follow-up investigation and it has to be submitted to the FDA. I can't remember the name of the form... something like Adverse Event Reporting... Ugggh. You know, I used to do this for a living. But since then my brain has turned to mush. But they're required to do it for drugs. They did it when I called about the Acidophilus that I'd been giving DD2 that caused the "folliculitis".

And not to say they're not idiots, but they are working under the assumptions of the regular medical establishment who believes in IgE allergies, and not intolerances. So they "think" they're doing the right thing. They're clueless until it happens to them or someone they know. Ignorance is bliss.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
And not to say they're not idiots, but they are working under the assumptions of the regular medical establishment who believes in IgE allergies, and not intolerances. So they "think" they're doing the right thing. They're clueless until it happens to them or someone they know. Ignorance is bliss.
So there are no children with IgE allergies who would react to the leftover dairy proteins they're claiming are not in their supplement?
Not trying to be adversarial, just seriously wondering. If I gave them to ds1, would he react, seeing as he has an IgE allergy to dairy? If he did, would it "only" be an IgG reaction (since he has both IgE and IgG antibodies to dairy)?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#12 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
They are required to fill out a form and do a follow-up investigation and it has to be submitted to the FDA. I can't remember the name of the form... something like Adverse Event Reporting...
See, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
So there are no children with IgE allergies who would react to the leftover dairy proteins they're claiming are not in their supplement?
Not trying to be adversarial, just seriously wondering. If I gave them to ds1, would he react, seeing as he has an IgE allergy to dairy? If he did, would it "only" be an IgG reaction (since he has both IgE and IgG antibodies to dairy)?
Well, DD sure does, and she's IgE. She got the start of some hives on her back a few months back when I trialed ghee. And it was Purity Farms too, which is supposed to be tested and completely free of milk proteins. Of course, she is probably IgG to dairy too... but it was definitely more of a hives reaction than her usual eczema, so I am pretty sure it was an IgE reaction.

#13 of 21 Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, DD1 definitely is IgE allergic to dairy. Possibly IgG, too, though, so I don't know.

I don't think they're purposely callous and trying to be tricky and sneaky. I think it's important that they hear that people are having issues with products they claim are 'safe'.

#14 of 21 Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 AM

I would send a written letter, with some type of confirmation that it was received. "Certified and Registered" letter with "Signature Confirmation", enclose dates, photos, physician name, etc. http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendm...ailservice.htm

The goal is Safety; thus they need to change their label. I would insist that they do so and to recall the product already on the shelf.

Do you know the CEO, customer service, marketing contacts for the company? We could help to find that info.

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 21 Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 AM

Here is information for notifying the FDA of nutritional supplement labeling concerns: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/onplds.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 21 Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the links, pat. you are such a great resource around here!

i went to the co-op today. i told them what happened and they pulled the product from their shelves. she was really disappointed that the labeling was misleading and sad that we had a rxn to a product they sold.

#17 of 21 Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 AM

I saw this on FB. Poor Lily! I would be furious too. How stupid & irresponsible. Grrrr....

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#18 of 21 Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
I saw this on FB. Poor Lily! I would be furious too. How stupid & irresponsible. Grrrr....
Wait a minute... You're on FB and you didn't tell me, menomena?! I'm so hurt!

#19 of 21 Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

awww. yeah, i'm on FB. PM me (anyone! lol) if you want my email and we can add as friends.

ETA: I know Elizabeth/Betsy Page in real life, too.

#20 of 21 Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 AM

oops sorry nessa, for outing you! now everyone will want to be friends with you. totally understandable since you're awesome though.

question though... what is the best truly dairy-free probiotic, not cultured on dairy etc out there? (i know someone who might be dealing with a casein allergy/sensitivy with her newborn, and this has me paranoid for her if she starts taking a probiotic or giving baby any...)

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#21 of 21 Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

we were using solaray's multidophilus for many a month there, with seemingly good results, but we never did get to baseline on them so i don't know. we have 8,000 other sensitivities than just dairy, though, so who knows. i did call the company and they affirmed no dairy and no soy, i believe. but when we first went on it and i called, we weren't everything else free. she did clarify that the maltodextrin was 'either rice or corn'. but i didn't ask for the specifics on what the growth medium was. solaray is super helpful over the phone, so another call would probably be no biggie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page