Big headed baby means? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I read something somewhere in another thread that having a big headed baby meant something about allergies, but now I can't find it. Anyone?

I've had 2 100th percentile head babies, one who only weighed 6 lbs (he was all head!) & am now pregnant with #3. Big heads run in our families, but then again, so do allergies. Are big heads related to allergies? Wonder if there's anything I can do to have a 90th or so percentile head? Head size was a factor in Baby 2's birth because he was posterior, I couldn't get him to flip or descend, and I eventually ended up with a section. I have of course learned much about spinning babies since then and will be working on that, but I'm just curious about the big head.
#2 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard that, but now I'm subbing because DS had a big head (3rd degree laceration for me, broken collarbone for him) and he's the worst one with the food intolerances. DD2 has intolerances, but they seem to be healing and she had a very normal sized head, but was csection because she was breech and wouldn't flip for anything. I want grant money to prove/disprove all these theories!!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM

I don't know if this is relevant, but Weston Price's work mentioned one of the skeletal deformities caused by maternal and paternal subnutrition is a larger skull. I don't have the reference for that though. Perhaps it was something you read in the TF forum? Nutritional deficiencies can be a factor in developing allergies.

<>< Alison
#4 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 PM

DS1's nickname from my friends as an infant was "baby big head" and he was the butt of many jokes about his head unbalancing him when he was learning to walk. I've never heard anything about it being related to allergies, but I'm subbing in case someone does know.
And OUCH, Kathy.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 PM

DS had/has a big head and he is my only one with allergies...he just developed what I am pretty sure is eczema about 1-2 mos. ago. Both my dd's had/have average sized heads and they have no problems with allergies.

Although I have to add that dh had eczema as a child...so I am leaning towards it being in the genes. But this is kind of interesting.
#6 of 9 Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, but Weston Price's work mentioned one of the skeletal deformities caused by maternal and paternal subnutrition is a larger skull. I don't have the reference for that though. Perhaps it was something you read in the TF forum? Nutritional deficiencies can be a factor in developing allergies.
Well, if that's what I'm remembering, maybe some of my TF/gut healing efforts will pay off & I will have a smaller headed baby!
#7 of 9 Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 AM

I don't know what's causing what for us, but my son has both a big head and the shape of his head is clearly in the bad category using WAP criteria--big at the top, then narrowing down with a pointy chin. I can see the shape problems, and it seems like they correspond to the tongue tie problems we've discussed before--narrowing top palate/high palate (and likely posterior tt) and then lower jaw that's even smaller (his teeth make a V pointing toward his tongue which has a nice anterior tie too). But I've always thought the big head thing, for us (can't be for everyone, I wouldn't think, and big heads don't run in my family) was more tied to the mercury toxicity thing, it's one of the things that sort of fit together after I realized what was going on health-wise with me. My daughter, kiddo #1 who got somewhat fewer nutritional deficiencies being my firstborn, doesn't have a big head, and her overall head shape is different (also a high palate, makes me wonder about whether her sinuses have enough room, future sleep apnea-type things based on concerns about my husband) but she doesn't have an anterior tt and the pointiness to her chin is much less. And although she's also got a high toxic load, she takes after my husband and it doesn't express at all the same as my son (very subtle).

Both kids have some allergies, fewer than most on this board, but my son has more and has stronger reactions than my daughter (vomiting with a few bites of ice cream, vs my daughter occasionally drank cow's milk without any immediate reaction).
#8 of 9 Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM

I swear I didn't mean to kill the thread with the ASD/mercury connection. Most surveys I've seen on ASD kids whose parents are doing biomed-type stuff (somewhat pre-selected already) have food allergies, but I really don't think most people with food allergies (intolerances, whatever) have heavy metal or ASD issues.
#9 of 9 Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM

I never responded because my allergic kids do not have big heads, in fact, they seem smaller than most kid of the same age.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page