Mothering Forum banner

Another Eczema ? - 5 month old

669 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  KendraH 
#1 ·
Hi! My 5 month old has eczema on her face (around her chin and cheeks). She has a small oval shaped area on her bottom that flares up if she's wet for too long. No where else on her body seems affected. I've done a search on Mothering, and visited multiple websites to try to figure out how to help her. But I am still confused!!

Here's some background: Rash appeared as little red bumps about 2 months ago. At that time (and still) she was drooling a lot so we thought it was just drool rash. It got worse and worse to the point of peeling, so we went to the pediatrician who gave us an antifungal and said it was yeast. This cream made the rash so much worse! So we tried hydrocortisone, which seemed to clear it up in a few days.

Both of my older children have food allergies (dairy, egg, sensitive to soy). I've been on a completely milk and soy free diet since Ella was born. There have only been a few instances where I've had cheese or a little egg. None for the past month at least.

I've been on a very strict elimination diet (no soy, wheat, egg, dairy, tomatoes, peanuts, peas, citrus, chocolate) for almost a week and have seen no improvement in her rash. How long should it take to see at least a little improvement if this was food related? We don't eat refined sugar (only unrefined cane sugar for baking and fruit sweetened snacks)

We have discontinued use of aquaphor and most other creams because they contain lanolin which I am sensitive to. I've been using coconut oil on Ella's face to offer her a little relief. It just looks so raw! And, we use gentle detergent and no fabric softener since everyone else in our house is sensitive to perfumes and dyes.

Oh, and she's exclusively bf. I take flax oil and acidophilus supplements every day.

Any advice or suggestions for a desperate mama? I am trying so hard to do everything right and some days I just feel like crying because nothing seems to work!

Thanks so much!

Jenica - AP, homeschooling mama to Emily, Josiah and Ella

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow that's alot of stuff not to eat, but of course I will thow a few more that could be culpits-bananas, pork, peppers or eggs which you said. My mom found this doctor in South America and sent my dh's picture to him for skin problems. Skin problems on dh of course-could be totally different on babe. Same peeling though and didn't respond to anything eventually. He also recomended passion flower supplement.

Hope you figure it out. Hate rashes. Everyone gets them. And everyone feels like you sometimes, too. Ahhh! Its a sign of some one who loves their babes

P.S. Do you do a little vinegar in the bath? And dry with the hair drier not too hot of course. Just keep dry to heal the bumper. Sounds so much like yeast...but I always say that. I am the YeastFighter!!! Nystatin is so mild and works-at least is for the moment on ds3?? We have to be so careful with sesitivities also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.