Worried--just saw blood in baby's diaper - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to be posting so much lately. Every day it seems like there's a new challenge, and it is up and down constantly.

DS (9mo) had trouble falling asleep, and wound up playing around, dancing, acting goofy, then stopped to poop. It was lime green, mucusy, and for the first time I actually saw a couple streaks of blood.

A couple hours earlier, his poop was very liquidy and a golden brown color. During his afternoon nap, he awoke screaming and crying, and could not easily be consoled until nursed, and even then, he continued to cry until he fell asleep. I worked today, the only day I work each week, and he was given thawed breastmilk. Last week, he kind of did the same thing, but I never saw blood in his diaper. The milk was from 2 days ago, so not that long ago.

I keep a good journal, but I am not sure because we had a playdate yesterday and I am scared he may have accidentally gotten some cookie crumbs off of another baby's hands? (Yes, the baby was eating cookies!! 9 months old...)

I also accidentally ate some deli turkey without thinking! Don't know what was in it, but afraid of soy or gluten, both of which we are avoiding, along with the other top 8, tomatoes, etc. Also worried recent green beans affecting him. Or that it's not even related to his food at all.

I guess, moving forward, what would you do? See a doctor? I don't know if that's just a waste of time and money. Take out all solids? (I had been trying very few, all failing, except, I *thought* the green beans.) I give probiotics...I'm just a little thrown off right now because I've never actually seen blood in his diaper.

Does wheat cause blood in stool? Everywhere I read, it's mostly just dairy and soy that are said to cause it. I also got bummed out in my search, reading that only 7 out of 12 moms were successful in healing their allergic baby from dairy and soy allergies...but I don't know who's writing that article and if the moms really knew to avoid everything.

All right, sorry for the ramble. Thank you, thank you for any information you may be able to provide. This forum has been such a help to our family and my sanity!
#2 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 AM

For us, dairy was the only thing that caused blood. But really, enough irritation from anything could cause some blood.

The deli meat most likely did have dairy in it though, and maybe that combined with a couple cookie crumbs was enough to irritate his gut. Also- are your probiotics dairy-free?

I know it's frustrating... but there are a lot of mamas here to help you. Don't give up. I think that those statistics in the article are probably true, but only because moms give up trying because they don't have a good support system and people who believe that they are doing what is best for their baby.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, right --- of course there would be dairy in deli meats...especially if they are used with the same slicer, huh? Thanks for that idea.

I checked his probiotics -- Kyo-Dophilus. I bought them at a time when I was mainly restricting top 8 stuff, and it seems like there really isn't any dairy. It was the best I could find at Whole Foods, and I was looking for Kirkman. BUT I just saw dextrose and cornstarch --- stuff I've been avoiding in my own diet! *Sigh* so much to keep track of, and I thought I was actually becoming more aware. Glad you helped me catch that, though.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am really learning a lot from all of the ladies here. So, so different from the few moms I hang out with IRL. It probably explains why I accidentally ate that turkey ... "You never eat anything! You sure Nate can't try the canteloupe? I mean, just a little!" And I don't feel like it's "in my head" the way my in laws say. Sorry for the mini rant. Anyway, I appreciate all of the support here, really.
#4 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 01:36 AM

Rant away! We all know how it feels to have people thinking that you're a crazy, overprotective mom.

The deli meats can have dairy not only from x-con from the slicer, but many have a dairy-derived preservative in them, like sodium lactate or something.

#5 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 AM

Turkey very very often has milk injected into the meat to make it moister.

You CAN do this. The support on this forum is likely better than you will find anywhere. Lean on us, we'll help you brainstorm, and you'll make it through.

If you're unsure of what he's reacting to, I would pull all solids to give his system a break. Then restart with something soothing like bone broth.

Good luck!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#6 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I once thought my baby had blood in her stool, but I had just started feeding her solids, and she passed some tomato skins.....
#7 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Sounds like you probiotic has diary in it - most due, it's harder to find ones that don't. Kirkman's is a good brand though, you can order it online.

There could be a number of factors contributing to the blood.

I know it's hard, and very overwhelming at times - we've all been there (and still are!) There's lot's of wonderful support and knowledge here, so keep asking questions!

I'll have to agree to back of the solids for a bit, and continue to play detective with the food, you can do it!

To share - my 8.5 month old has reacted to every thing I have given him directly, but I'm not sure if it's the actual food or that his gut is still irritated. I've stopped all solids for now, and am focusing on trialing things in my diet.

good luck!
#8 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. Good advice, again. I have another question, though --- With the possible dairy in my system, is it worse to continue BFing him? I hate the thought of any kind of formula, hydrolyzed or no, though, but my nurse mom keeps insisting I do something like Neocate (ugh.) ...I think that's how DS became sensitized to begin with at the hospital thanks to the nurses who didn't listen to us...

I breastfed DS this morning, and immediately afterwards his chin and cheeks got red and chapped looking -- a usual fail sign for us when we trial solids...Definitely laying off solids for a while, too.
#9 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsgirl08 View Post
Thanks, everyone. Good advice, again. I have another question, though --- With the possible dairy in my system, is it worse to continue BFing him? I hate the thought of any kind of formula, hydrolyzed or no, though, but my nurse mom keeps insisting I do something like Neocate (ugh.) ...I think that's how DS became sensitized to begin with at the hospital thanks to the nurses who didn't listen to us...

I breastfed DS this morning, and immediately afterwards his chin and cheeks got red and chapped looking -- a usual fail sign for us when we trial solids...Definitely laying off solids for a while, too.
No no no no no!! BM is always best, even if you have a little dairy in your system. Your BM naturally contains probiotics and all sorts of other health benefits that outweigh any irritation the dairy is causing. It should be out of your system within a week or so, but most likely will only bother him for a few days.

If it would help to placate your mom, you can tell her that many babies with food intolerances will not even tolerate the elemental formulas (my DD included.) So why risk hurting your milk supply, causing grief (for him, and you) over refusing to nurse him, and possibly a reaction to the formula?

#10 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
No no no no no!! BM is always best, even if you have a little dairy in your system. Your BM naturally contains probiotics and all sorts of other health benefits that outweigh any irritation the dairy is causing. It should be out of your system within a week or so, but most likely will only bother him for a few days.

If it would help to placate your mom, you can tell her that many babies with food intolerances will not even tolerate the elemental formulas (my DD included.) So why risk hurting your milk supply, causing grief (for him, and you) over refusing to nurse him, and possibly a reaction to the formula?
Definitely agree! The dairy will be out of your system soon enough, so keep on bfing.

A girlfriend of mine switched her baby to elemental formula because the baby was reacting to soy and dairy in her diet and she wasn't willing to cut those foods. Well now the baby is doing very poorly with lots of GI problems, ultra-fussy behavior and newly developing skin issues. It's just not worth the risk, especially with all the benefits of bm. For example, my whole family is sick right now, except the baby. My older kids have been all over him as usual, but he is perfectly happy and healthy thanks to my breastmilk
#11 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Breast milk has so much more that nutriants and amino acids (which is all thats in the elecare). So many things to help protect his gut and help it heal.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T021600.asp

Keep breastfeeding!!!!! I am and have seen blood everyday for more than a month but fortuanetly my DS is still on his growth curve. And we are still trying different things.
#12 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM

FYI for anyone. Blood and/or mucus in diapers can be a result of ANY food that is causing inflammation to the gut, not just dairy. Elimination diets and food journals can help you figure it out.
#13 of 16 Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Still BFing --- pretty much what I felt anyway, but my mom's been drinking the koolaid after being a nurse so long and it starts to affect me, blegh. Going to the next LLL meeting around here, too, to see if there are anyother moms of FA babies! So excited!
#14 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 AM

I think our probiotics caused blood in stools for us, not necessarily that it was the probiotics that caused it, but that the probiotics caused more inflammation and irritation at the time, causing more blood in stool. I have still seen blood occasionally since stopping the probiotics, but not as often and not as much.

I am so glad you didn't stop BFing!

I would stop the probiotics, stop all supplements and do an elimination diet and everything back in one at a time, including trialing the probiotics just like you do a food. And, a 9 mo does not "need" solids just yet, so you have time to play around.
#15 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM

it can be hard to figure out what is causing the blood. I think you may be on the right tract with thinking that ds got into something ie the cookie. my 16 mo. ds does that from time to time with friends and 2 older ds. we go for a day or 2 not knowing and trying to keep all other variables down.

keeping a good journal is a must so keep up the good work!
#16 of 16 Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
FYI for anyone. Blood and/or mucus in diapers can be a result of ANY food that is causing inflammation to the gut, not just dairy. Elimination diets and food journals can help you figure it out.
Very true.
DS2 got blood in his stool from strawberries, peanuts and coconut (hence them being out of my diet).
Glad to hear you're going to LLL and that you're still bfing.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page