Butt Dimples (aka mid line issues - spun off from tongue-tie thread) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 173 Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
What is TF? Learning as I go here!
New mama PM me sometime! More than happy to chat!
Traditional Foods.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#122 of 173 Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Traditional Foods.
Look at the Traditional Foods sub-forum for ideas. You'll see references to Weston Price, a guy who wrote a book called Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, great book, I think it's available online. Price and TF aren't synonymous but there's a lot of overlap. It's supposed to be about ways that traditional groups of people have had to make nutrients more bio-available. So lots of different foods, and diets that look very different, are involved--so it's the method rather than the particular food that makes something traditional.
#123 of 173 Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Thank you!! SOunds like something I would love!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#124 of 173 Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 AM

I have a dimple, and allergies and a narrow palate and had a gap between my front teeth (had braces twice and still have crooked teeth). Hm. And I'm left handed even though nobody else in the family is. My palate has a ridge in it. I have some allergies and intolerances.
DH has a flat tongue and a gap between his teeth, and numerous allergies. No butt dimple though.
DS has a dimple, too, and had reflux as a baby and has some allergies and intolerances now. Hm.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#125 of 173 Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM

bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#126 of 173 Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 AM

Just re-found this thread! Taking DS in to an ENT tomorrow to see about a posterior TT...my pendulum says he will be clipped then and there with no fight from me! I will let y'all know.
#127 of 173 Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM

: :
#128 of 173 Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM

:

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#129 of 173 Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 AM

I have an issue and wasn't sure where to put it so I'm bumping up this thread. Ellie's sacral cleve is having issues - it splits open. It looks horribly uncomfortable and she screams whenever we have to go anywhere in the car. I think the carseat causes pressure to her sacrum and worsens the pain, because her little butt is REALLY red when I change her diaper right after a car ride. But the main immediate issue is healing up the cleve. I've been putting oil on it but that's been several days now with no improvement. I'm also not sure why it's splitting. We go through phases where its fine for awhile and then starts splitting again.

Is anyone else dealing with this issue? Thoughts on healing it, preventing it, why it might be doing this?

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#130 of 173 Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#131 of 173 Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM

My ds has a deep "V" above his "cleave". Is that considered a dimple? He seems to have lots of allergies or intolerances.
#132 of 173 Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Pat

I have a blog.
#133 of 173 Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Ok. Ds2 has a mild hypospadia, and dd (my 3rd born) has a mild butt dimple. Ds1 has no known mid-line defects, but was just diagnosed (via Asyra) with a mild gluten sensitivity (which a year ago he tested negative for any food issues). I'm aware of the gene defect and we haven't tested any of us for it, but obviously something is going on. We eat/live extremely simple, healthy lives so this is just depressing for me. Ugh, but instead of drowning in self-loathing guilt, where do I go from here so that my kids don't carry this on to their children or develop conditions later on from vitamin imbalances?
You know, I keep beating myself up over all of this 'cause "I know better" (I'm an herbalist, this wasn't supposed to happen! ), but my sis's oldest had an umbilical hernia, colic and multi food allergies as a nursling that she claims he outgrew since he can eat those foods now (although the poor kid has many emotional issues...which is the only reason I had my ds tested in the first place!). People are just walking around with food intolerances aren't they?

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
#134 of 173 Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Start reading here...
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

For us, the lack of family history and the lack of severity of our issues, given what I know is going on, is enough for me to assume MTHFR is not an issue for us.

But if it is likely an issue for you, then it seems like the things you work on are getting a lot more folate from food, and maybe supplementing a bit of B12, so that the presumed backlog of methylation can start catching up. Eventually you may want to supplement folate to get more than 800 mcg/day--that 800 is enough for daily use, but to make progress on the backlog, you would need more.

For us (me and the kids) lack of pre-formed vitamin A is probably at least half the issue, just to mention it. May not be your issue, my health wasn't good, and I'm sure I wasn't converting any of the beta-carotene I consumed, and my diet was pathetic.

And yeah, don't do the guilt thing. Everyone on the thread could, but let's all skip it.
#135 of 173 Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Is anyone else dealing with this issue? Thoughts on healing it, preventing it, why it might be doing this?
i think vitamin E and vitamin A would both be useful. you might be able to do vitamin E topically if there aren't any soy allergies. i haven't seen vitamin E capsules that didn't have soy in them but i haven't looked either. vitamin A you can get through cod liver oil.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#136 of 173 Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM

BUMPING!

Guess what I found on Junah this week, a lip tie! AWESOME!! it just keeps making more and more sense!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#137 of 173 Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Don't know how I missed this thread! I usually look at any threads that have anything to do with midline defects.

So, I'm stirring up some old posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
I apologize, my intentions were not to make light of serious health matters. I was just uncomfortable asking such graphic questions about a subject I had no knowledge about and that was my attempt at some misplaced humour...I didn't mean to offend anyone....
I think we humans find it funny whenever anyone talks about anything that is culturally inappropriate. The reason "House, M.D." is so popular is because Dr House says and does things that are very inappropriate.

Talking about butts feels inappropriate in our culture, so it is funny. Having a midline birth defect is not funny, but asking people to look at their butts is.

---

Now, onto the meat of the thread...

Tongue-tie runs in my family.

But none of us have allergies. DS and I have no unusual markings on our butts. I don't know about the others in the family. But as far as I know, other than the narrow mouth and arched pallet and compressed sinuses and limited tongue mobility, we don't have any other things. Basically, it is all localized to that small range of the body around the actual mouth.

-------

I have KP, but it goes away when I get more fat-soluble vitamins. I can get rid of it really fast with vitamin A lotion put directly on it. So I don't think it is particularly genetic or a birth defect, but simply a result of nutritional deficiency in the here and now.

I don't think that I have any condition in my body that makes me need more fat-soluble vitamins than others, but that until recently I ate too low-fat of a diet for my whole life.

------

Then you guys changed the subject to roof ridges. I have tongue-tie, but no roof ridge.

Dr Coryllos tested us by having us open our mouths all the way, and then try to touch the roof of our mouths with our tongues without closing our jaws at all. (Most of the people were closing theirs a little without realizing it, so try it in front of a mirror or with a partner to watch for that.)

My tongue goes nowhere near the roof of my mouth. Like, I can fit a whole finger in between. So that, what, a little more than a centimeter.

Dr Coryllos said that the tied tongue causes the pallet to form too high. Something about the tongue supposed to be pressing on the pallet, and then it forms in that spot, but with the tongue too low to meet it, it forms higher instead.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#138 of 173 Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Lady Lilya, I just did your tongue/roof of the mouth test and could't get anywhere near it! I do have a sacral dimple (as do my kiddos) and we all have multiple food sensitivities, yeast/thrush, and eczema! I have also been diagnosed with low B levels and adrenal issues.

I have never heard of these problems and the mid-line connection until today. Wow, it's making sense... Love MDC!

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#139 of 173 Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Wow, there is some great information in here! My 8-yo daughter has the "butt dimple". It's pretty small and she's been on regular well-child checks since birth and we've never had a doctor question it or order further testing. So she has never had any further genetic testing.

However, she is only the of my children to have it. She is GF/CF and takes Super-Nu-Thera (balanced for B6 and Mg) to help with headaches.

I never made the connection between the food intolerance and headahes (hence need for B6/Mg) and the "butt dimple"

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#140 of 173 Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Oh my!!! I just found this post and am truly astonished! DD has the dimple, which was u/s at around 3 months and showed no further issues. However, we have been seeing a GI for months trying to pinpoint apparent multiple food allergies/intolerance. She is currently 5 mos.

She had terrible weight gain in the beginning due to major bf-ing issues (improper latch/suck) which also left me in extreme agony, and eventually killed my milk supply. I pumped my supply back up and turned to exclusively pumping for her, which I've been doing for the past 4 months. I was on a total elimination diet, and between the allergies and the incredible insanity of pumping around the clock, I've just weaned from the pump and transitioned her to formula. (Any zealous bf-ing advocates, please do not lecture me on what I might have been able to do to avoid this!!! I tried EVERYTHING from bf-ing through a screaming baby and fiery hot nipples, LLL meetings, spending crazy amounts of money on LCs and trying nipple shields, nursing supplementers, etc.!!! I have enough mommy-guilt and need to leave that behind!) This whole experience has been just awful

ANYWAY, one of the hardest things is trying to understand what exactly the problem was that caused poor latch. We looked for tongue tie and were told that was not the problem. To find this post and at least realize that there very well may have been a physiological reason for our difficulties makes me relieved and worried at the same time. So that means this is very likely to happen when LO #2 comes around? Don't think I can handle it!

So, is there something we can do during pregnancy nutritionally and/or supplements that may prevent these midline issues??? Interestingly, I had horrible morning sickness and ate TERRIBLY for the first half of the pregnancy. I could not even stomach whole white bread!!! It was cheerios and plain bagels for a looooong time
#141 of 173 Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 AM

mamma2j!
The nutrients that get thrown around the most for midline issues are to make sure you have plenty of folate (food form, not folic acid) and vitamin A (again, food form, not synthetic). If you poke around this allergy forum, we've been digging up a bunch of nutritional connections to food sensitivities - both to heal existing ones and to prevent them in future kids. It's quite a journey, this motherhood stuff, isn't it?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#142 of 173 Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM

FYI

Today's headline -

Gastric Surgery in Teens Boosts Risk of Birth Defects

Rates of spina bifida are higher in offspring of girls who have had gastric surgery, via nutritional deficits, mainly folic acid, they suspect.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#143 of 173 Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM

New to this thread...I went back and scanned most of it and have a couple questions. DS has a dimple but it's inside his cleave. You can only see it if you spread his cheeks. It's just a slight indentation but it has some peach-fuzz, darkish hair in it. Is that a sacral dimple or something else? I'd say it was about 1 inch, maybe less north of his anus. I have showed the dr and he says it's nothing to worry about. I go back and forth between worrying and ignoring. DS doesn't seem to have any allergy/intolerance issues though he is a very restless sleeper. I tried the roof of the mouth test and couldn't get near it, though I can stick my tongue out pretty far, it's spear-shaped etc. DS's tongue isn't heart-shaped, it's more round and he can easily stick it out. I guess I'm just wondering if any of your DC's dimples are inside, rather than at the top of the cleave. TIA! And this really is fascinating stuff!

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#144 of 173 Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Here's more tongue tie info:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z9X...%20tie&f=false

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#145 of 173 Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM

amazed.  This is all I can say.  And grateful to God for leading me to these posts!!  I just found out I have mthfr....which I requested blood tests for after reading all these posts and wondering if there might be a connection!!  Any other mthfr girls out there...what can be done to avoid all these issues for subsequent kiddos???

Now we will be seeing Dr. Dahl (ENT recommended on other forums) to reevaluate for posterior tongue tie.  With DDs sacral dimple and allergies, and all the problems we had bf-ing, I'm interested to see the results!

What a shame that the medical profession is so clueless. greensad.gif  Every single doctor (my gyno, endo, and variuos peds) told us there was no cause of the dimple, "it just happens."  My eye!  The MTHFR is undoubtedly the cause. greensad.gif

#146 of 173 Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM

re: avoiding issues for future kids, like other issues, this seems to be related to getting nutritionally depleted by pregnancy and nursing and not eating enough nutrients to replenish yourself.  I think it's been mentioned in this thread, Thorne makes multivits with real folate, so that's something to consider.  And maybe supplemental B12 to work with the new influx of folate, Mega B12 drops from holisticheal are expensive up-front but have a very high number of doses per bottle--but maybe you want to try a smaller bottle of something you can get locally first.

You may want to also consider whether you have food intolerances (if you haven't already figured that out), it seems like getting nutritionally rundown makes it more likely to develop intolerances even if you don't have digestive symptoms, and removing foods you're intolerant of makes it a lot easier to rebuild nutritionally.

Preformed vitamin A is also involved with midline issues but it seems harder to figure out whether that's definitely an issue for someone--then again, probably all of us should think about that and try to incorporate really good sources of actual vitamin A (vs beta carotene in veggies), maybe along with vitamin D just because they interact a lot and vitamin D deficiency is just so common. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma2j View Post

amazed.  This is all I can say.  And grateful to God for leading me to these posts!!  I just found out I have mthfr....which I requested blood tests for after reading all these posts and wondering if there might be a connection!!  Any other mthfr girls out there...what can be done to avoid all these issues for subsequent kiddos???

What a shame that the medical profession is so clueless. greensad.gif  Every single doctor (my gyno, endo, and variuos peds) told us there was no cause of the dimple, "it just happens."  My eye!  The MTHFR is undoubtedly the cause. greensad.gif

#147 of 173 Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Tanya, if I have been taking lots of folate, could that have been driving my B12 down?  How does that work, exactly?

Had an ultrasound today.  The 20 week anatomical one.  When the doc came in afterwards to review the work the technician did, she and I got into a chat about MTHFR.  I was surprised she had heard of it and knew the up-to-date info.

#148 of 173 Old 11-12-2010, 10:34 AM

The other folks, mamafish9 and Theloose, will know better.  I can say that with other nutrients, when I've supplemented quite a bit of one, I've seen that I've depleted others.  Calcium can do that for mag with DS, I think I did it with the A in cod liver oil depleting the kids' already low D.  It seems plausible that it works the same for methylation--all the nutrients do multiple things in the body, and if you add in a lot of X, one of the cycles can go faster, but then if there's not plenty of the things that X interacts with--that are used up as the chemical reaction happens--the supply of the others gets a bit skimpy, so maybe that cycle slows down, or maybe another reaction is slowed. 

That's my best guess anyway.  But the thing is, there's a noticeable subset of people here with metals issues, and those place demands on B12 that aren't normally happening--I mean, I don't think DS has any odd B12-related genes, but I'm still giving him 3,000 mcg of B12, and working up to more (missing doses, sigh) but even great food sources like a 3-ounce serving of beef liver only have about 60 mcg (988% of the RDA according to nutritiondata.com).  So something is going on with some of us that doesn't apply to you.  So I'm not sure how to translate the things I'd expect with DS to your situation. 

Was the doc a perinatologist?  I've only talked with one, he was really nice and very pro homebirth. 

#149 of 173 Old 11-12-2010, 11:47 AM

I guess she was an OB.  

I'm pretty certain I don't have a heavy metals problem.  I am pretty sure I don't have any food allergies.  There is definitely stuff going on with the rest of you that doesn't apply to me.  But a lot of what you ladies talk about really applies to everybody, to some degree.  We all have all of these chemical reactions going on in our bodies all the time.

#150 of 173 Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

I'm pretty certain I don't have a heavy metals problem.  I am pretty sure I don't have any food allergies.  There is definitely stuff going on with the rest of you that doesn't apply to me.  But a lot of what you ladies talk about really applies to everybody, to some degree.  We all have all of these chemical reactions going on in our bodies all the time.

Mwahahahaha.... that's what all of us thought when we started this journey.  (Ok, maybe not all of us... but I bet a good majority of us.) 

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page