Frustrated.... help me, Nancy Drews. - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Most people get a lot more copper than zinc, things like liver (which admittedly most people don't eat), but also nuts, sesame seeds, dried beans, and chocolate are all high in copper, and there are fewer concentrated sources of zinc. But barely any of that applies to you, but for in the future, when it does, I thought I'd mention it.
Don't be dissing my liver!

1 ounce =
172% of the RDA for B12.
152% of the RDA for vit A.
112% of the RDA for copper.
54% of the RDA for folate.

Or my nuts, one quarter cup of almonds, peanuts, walnuts and pumpkin seeds only have about 20% of the RDA for copper. One quarter cup of Sesame seeds, Cashews and Sunflower seeds ARE high in copper though.

Soybeans, garbanzo beans and navy beans are higher in copper.

Or my chocolate! Them's fightin' words. :

The copper content of dark chocolate is significantly greater than milk chocolate. A 3-ounce bar of dark chocolate can contain 0.75 milligrams of copper. This is more than 100 per cent of the RDA for children and over 80 per cent of the RDA for teens and adults. A 3-ounce bar of milk chocolate can contain 0.18 milligrams of copper. This is equivalent to 20 per cent of the RDA for teens and adults. 3-ounce bar is a HUGE amount of chocolate, even to me, though!

Copper absorption may be decreased by excess dietary iron or zinc. Conversely, too much copper may cause an iron deficiency. Vitamin C supplementation results in decreased copper status. In rats, large doses of vitamin C can lead to copper deficiency.

Copper sources:
http://www.vitamin-update.com/definition.cfm/id/25.html

Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Just FYI, when I added Nori into my diet recently, I had detox symptoms for awhile. I was just eating one sheet of Nori per day, with brown rice.
OT: So, you buy the nori and it is soft, or do you have to heat it to soften it? Where does one buy nori, anyway?

Pat

I have a blog.
#423 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I think it was a flaring of her eczema and she slept like crap... but it was a couple months ago, so I would have to go look in her food journal. (I'm nak right now.)
Here's the thread about it. All you mentioned ("all") was a serious and sudden flaring of her eczema.

ETA: Although I do seem to remember you posting in other threads around the same time about her sleep being mucked after the nori trial.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#424 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, look at that- there was a whole thread about it.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#425 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, look at that- there was a whole thread about it.
Yeah, I can't believe I remembered that.
Maybe I'm not such a bad stalker after all.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#426 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Don't be dissing my liver!

1 ounce =
172% of the RDA for B12.
152% of the RDA for vit A.
112% of the RDA for copper.
54% of the RDA for folate.

Or my nuts, one quarter cup of almonds, peanuts, walnuts and pumpkin seeds only have about 20% of the RDA for copper. One quarter cup of Sesame seeds, Cashews and Sunflower seeds ARE high in copper though.

Soybeans, garbanzo beans and navy beans are higher in copper.

Or my chocolate! Them's fightin' words. :

The copper content of dark chocolate is significantly greater than milk chocolate. A 3-ounce bar of dark chocolate can contain 0.75 milligrams of copper. This is more than 100 per cent of the RDA for children and over 80 per cent of the RDA for teens and adults. A 3-ounce bar of milk chocolate can contain 0.18 milligrams of copper. This is equivalent to 20 per cent of the RDA for teens and adults. 3-ounce bar is a HUGE amount of chocolate, even to me, though!

Copper absorption may be decreased by excess dietary iron or zinc. Conversely, too much copper may cause an iron deficiency. Vitamin C supplementation results in decreased copper status. In rats, large doses of vitamin C can lead to copper deficiency.

Copper sources:
http://www.vitamin-update.com/definition.cfm/id/25.html

Pat
I know! I feel so bad telling chlobo "Don't eat all this really healthy stuff," I mean, it's just so wrong. But more really for her than CS (that was just as an example of how there are so many great copper sources and it's harder to find great zinc sources, especially if one is not eating oysters).
#427 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yeah, I can't believe I remembered that.
Maybe I'm not such a bad stalker after all.
You are officially re-hired.

I'm on my way out to DD's CST appointment... but I've started my research on molybdenum and have found a couple interesting things so far. Looks like no studies have been done on humans, but on animals:
Quote:
Subchronic and chronic oral exposures can result in gastrointestinal disturbances, growth retardation, anemia, hypothyroidism, bone and joint deformities, sterility, liver and kidney abnormalities, and death
Quote:
The vast majority of molybdenum is used in metallurgical applications (stainless steel, cast-iron alloys
hmmm... I switched out all my nonstick cookware for stainless steel and cast iron. : Thoughts about this?

#428 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Seaweeds are usually considered high in iodine content, and can cause problems for thyroid patients. However there are many types of seaweed. Korea, and Japan have over 60 species of seaweed. Food preparation can effect iodine content of seaweed. Nori the flat sheets used for sushi has a small amount of iodine, compared to Miso soup. Kelp flavored stock is used to make miso soup. The soup then has over 1000 mcgs of iodine! The cooking in water releases the iodine into the broth.This level of iodine can cause progression of thyroid disease in susceptable thyroid patients. All seaweeds are not equal in causing problems. Ground kelp has 8000 mcg/gram, Kelp 2500, Dulse 72, and Nori has 16. Young seaweed, and floating seaweed have higher iodine than sundried seaweed.Review the article by Braverman before you decide what type of seaweed you should eat. Thyroid vol.14 number 10 2004, page 836-841.
http://thyroid.blogspot.com/2004/11/...ered-high.html

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#429 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM

The copper/zinc ratio is supposed to be really important. I made a table once, of the foods we could eat and what their copper/zinc ratio was. Pretty much all the animal products were better zinc sources, and most of the plant sources were better copper sources. Pumpkin seeds were an exception (higher in zinc) and liver (higher in copper).

But I think it's more complicated for liver. Some things can push the zinc/copper balance around in your body, and basically the liver is the storage site. So if you raise your serum zinc, you might also be raising your liver copper. Which makes me wonder if the zinc/copper content of liver is pretty variable, depending on what the animal was eating/it's health status. And there's not much way to tell that from the nutrition data that's out there...

All that to say, I wonder if some liver is significantly higher in copper than other liver.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#430 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I've had kale just recently. Oh wait- I think DD did have a sip of my kale smoothie too. She seemed ok with it, and I seemed to react a little. I just made sauerkraut and have had a few tiny bites, but otherwise no cabbage in quite some time. It's been a while since we've tried cauliflower too. And none of the other ones.
Back to this... (not to distract you or anything...)

tuberose says the brassica family is a powerful inducer of both phase 1 and glutathione detox. Whenever you're ready to go back and look at this again, I'd try to figure out how dd does on those systems. Wait. Broccoli. Sulfur. Glutathione. That's that connection. I bet she has a slow phase 1 detox system?

Stimulate phase 1: (is she ok with these?)
Quote:
Foods: cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts; charcoal-broiled meats; high-protein diet; oranges and tangerines (but not grapefruits)
Nutrients: niacin; vitamin B1; vitamin C
Herbs: caraway and dill seeds
Inhibit phase 1: (are these issues?)
Quote:
Drugs: benzodiazepines; antihistamines; cimetidine and other stomach-acid secretion blocking drugs; ketoconazole; sulfaphenazole
Foods: naringenin from grapefruit juice; curcumin from turmeric; capsaicin form chili pepper; eugenol from clove oil; quercetin from onions
Botanicals: curcuma longa (curcumin); capsicum frutescens (capsaicin); eugenia caryophyllus (eugenol); calendula officianalis
Other: aging; toxins from inappropriate bacteria in the intestines

#431 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
OT: So, you buy the nori and it is soft, or do you have to heat it to soften it? Where does one buy nori, anyway?

Pat
I buy it at my HFS. I think it's Eden Foods brand. 10 sheets in a package. The directions say to toast it in a dry skillet (or I've done in the oven before, too) but I usually just use it straight from the package. It's a crisp sheet and I put warm rice on it and roll it up; the warmth of the rice softens the sheet a bit.
#432 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Pretty much all the animal products were better zinc sources, and most of the plant sources were better copper sources. Pumpkin seeds were an exception (higher in zinc) and liver (higher in copper).
<snip>

All that to say, I wonder if some liver is significantly higher in copper than other liver.
Interesting. So, grass-fed liver might be higher in copper? But, animals fed animal byproducts might be lower in copper???

Pat

I have a blog.
#433 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting. So, grass-fed liver might be higher in copper? But, animals fed animal byproducts might be lower in copper???
No, that's not what I meant, though I guess it looks like that. For example, salicylates move your serum/liver copper/zinc around, regardless of how much you're getting in your diet. There are probably other things that do that as well.

I'm saying that there are lots of factors that determine what their copper/zinc balance looks like. Actual intake, food chemicals, and what their body is needing at the time they are butchered are probably all going to play a big role. When they collect the nutrition data, we have no clue what *that* animal was doing/eating. We also don't know that much about the animals we're actually eating. So things like the calcium content of bone or the protein content of muscle are going to be really stable, but I'm thinking that copper and zinc in the liver are much more variable.

Yeah?

#434 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Back to this... (not to distract you or anything...)

tuberose says the brassica family is a powerful inducer of both phase 1 and glutathione detox. Whenever you're ready to go back and look at this again, I'd try to figure out how dd does on those systems. Wait. Broccoli. Sulfur. Glutathione. That's that connection. I bet she has a slow phase 1 detox system?

Stimulate phase 1: (is she ok with these?)
Quote:
Foods: cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts; charcoal-broiled meats; high-protein diet; oranges and tangerines (but not grapefruits)
Nutrients: niacin; vitamin B1; vitamin C
Herbs: caraway and dill seeds
Inhibit phase 1: (are these issues?)
Quote:
Drugs: benzodiazepines; antihistamines; cimetidine and other stomach-acid secretion blocking drugs; ketoconazole; sulfaphenazole
Foods: naringenin from grapefruit juice; curcumin from turmeric; capsaicin form chili pepper; eugenol from clove oil; quercetin from onions
Botanicals: curcuma longa (curcumin); capsicum frutescens (capsaicin); eugenia caryophyllus (eugenol); calendula officianalis
Other: aging; toxins from inappropriate bacteria in the intestines
Well, I just had another blueberry/kale smoothie, and DD was all over it... so I guess we'll see how she does with that. And coincidentally I just bought some brussel sprouts that I will probably cook tomorrow. (I started a milk thistle tincture today too, so any reaction will be confusing enough without adding one more food today.)

She is ok with broccoli, and seems to be fine with me eating cabbage... I don't think she's had any yet. She's also fine with vitamin C, and I think she did ok when we had oranges.

I don't think that anything in the inhibit box are issues for us, except obviously bad bacteria in the gut.

#435 of 441 Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
For example, salicylates move your serum/liver copper/zinc around, regardless of how much you're getting in your diet. There are probably other things that do that as well.

<snip>

but I'm thinking that copper and zinc in the liver are much more variable.
I see about the variability.

I'm curious about the salicylates and copper/zinc levels. Never heard of this. Is it due to increased utilization of the detox pathway for salicylates?

Pat

I have a blog.
#436 of 441 Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 PM

CS, I know you can't do wheat. But, have you ever tried wheat bran, specially? Especially, if it is not an IgE allergen. It binds with copper. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...192e0daf4303dc

ETA: I realize, I think I have your metals mixed up with chlobo.

Pat

I have a blog.
#437 of 441 Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Nope... no safe vinegars.
how do you mean? sorry...just learning.
#438 of 441 Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post
how do you mean? sorry...just learning.
She or her daughter reacts to every vinegar she has tried.

#439 of 441 Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
She or her daughter reacts to every vinegar she has tried.
Oh I got it. thought she meant there was some level of a metal in vinegar that i was clueless to (since balsamic v. has some levels of lead) anyway...duh on me.
#440 of 441 Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post
Oh I got it. thought she meant there was some level of a metal in vinegar that i was clueless to (since balsamic v. has some levels of lead) anyway...duh on me.
Don't feel badly. It's really difficult to wrap your mind around how limited changing season's diet really is. Up until not long ago, she and her daugher had a diet of 8 safe foods. They've recently been adding some ( and I'm not certain how many they have now, but it's still mind boggling to try to comprehend.

#441 of 441 Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

It is mind boggling. I think we might be up to like 15 foods now or something crazy like that!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page