Frustrated.... help me, Nancy Drews. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
It's a bumpy, pin-prick rash. It's worst on her labia, but it's also in her leg cracks a little, and on her butt (but no so much in the crease, more on the cheeks.) And it's VERY itchy.

She gets this rash every time she reacts to a food, but never this bad... and it always goes away as soon as I stop the food.
This sounds like the same rash that my DD2 used to get from apples and pears. But I never thought hers was yeast (and neither did the doctor). It seemed more like it was a contact rash from her urine.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
I wonder if a vinegar bath might help. Is there any vinegar that would agree with her...distilled white?
Nope... no safe vinegars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Try baking soda in the bath water.

Pat
Will do. I'm already doing epsom salt... should I do both, or alternate?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#123 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well... after CST yesterday, DD started scratching her face, and this morning it's flared up a little. It often flares after CST though, so I'm going to ignore it and hope it's gone tomorrow. She slept a little better last night...

And.... I looked back at my food journal and realized that I started the new bone broth (from the Azure lamb bones) on the same day as the carrots AND the Azure lamb. I thought that I had started it earlier. SO- I'm thinking a combination of the lamb + the bone broth were the big problem. I didn't give her any broth last night, but I drank some (because I had just heated it up when I made this realization, and didn't want to waste it )... and she slept better last night, and I slept like crap.

So that's what I decided. We already had a rice fail, a sweet potato fail, and a banana fail in the last month. I refuse to let carrots fail.

#124 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So that's what I decided. We already had a rice fail, a sweet potato fail, and a banana fail in the last month. I refuse to let carrots fail.
It certainly sounds like it could be the lamb. And I like the positive thinking! Sending you good vibes that the carrots continue to be good :
#125 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I refuse to let carrots fail.
awesome. Now just make it totally positive. Instead you could continue to know that carrots are safe. take the fear and negativity out of the equation!
#126 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Carrots are good. Carrots are safe. Carrots are healthy. I love carrots.

#127 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Carrots are good. Carrots are safe. Carrots are healthy. I love carrots.
YAY! Such great news.

The rash you described is how dd reacts now. She got it from bananas and buckwheat in the last little while (so glad we've got more foods to avoid now).
#128 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
What *I* would do is a mineral assay (Doctor's Data does a good one and it's around $50) and see the actual levels. Low hydrochloric acid pretty much is a sure trigger for food intolerances. Low zinc means you aren't going to produce HCl the way you should. So, with a reactive kid....I'd pay attention. If the first major part of digestion is missed proteins that are too large pass into the intestines where they have no business being. When proteins that are too large sit in the gut they don't get broken down properly and there is a MUCH higher likelihood of them passing into the bloodstream thereby causing a reaction.
Grrrr... I just called the ped (homeopath) and left a message, asking if they could order this test for us. The assistant called back and said no, they won't, because they don't know how to interpret it. I said that's fine, I can have someone else interpret it for me, I just want to have it done. She said no, they can't do that. And then she said she talked to the ped who said there's absolutely no reason to test DD for metals. They wouldn't do that unless there was like a serious lack of growth or something. Um YEAH- DD was almost falling off the growth charts until last month! : WTF? Did you even look at our chart? I am seriously annoyed now. AND- I asked the chiro who does DD's CST about it the other day, and she wanted me to ask the ped to do it. She didn't seem comfortable ordering it herself- I think she didn't want to step on any toes (she works with the ped.)

The ped said that they could refer me to an ND here that does that test, but of course our insurance won't cover an ND and we're already going to have to pay for the test out of pocket (which is $109, btw)... so that would be 2 visits- one to order the test, one to interpret, that we just can't afford. What's more annoying is that they HAVE an ND in our ped's office, and she would be covered under our insurance (because she's also a RN), but apparantly she doesn't know how to read test results either.

So... any ideas?

#129 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM

1. I really dislike when they add on money. It's a $45 test. Personal prejudice.
2. I don't care if they can't interpret it. It comes with ALOT of info and if they would just DO IT then you can ask someone else to actually interpret it.
3. Did you tell them that the CST was for it?
4. Why does it matter if they generally wouldn't recommend it to you if you are asking for it?
5. I'm having a moment because a child I have worked with is CLEARLY metal toxic and I talked to the practitioner about it who kinda blew me off. There was no reason to test (except that she's developmentally delayed, has multiple food intolerances, has the metal look, delayed dentition and isn't gaining weight.) Her "routine" lead test came back off the charts. It would have been really nice if the test had just been run when it was asked for.

CS...don't misunderstand. I'm not saying this will happen to you, just that I'm personally frustrated today. :
#130 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
5. I'm having a moment because a child I have worked with is CLEARLY metal toxic and I talked to the practitioner about it who kinda blew me off. There was no reason to test (except that she's developmentally delayed, has multiple food intolerances, has the metal look, delayed dentition and isn't gaining weight.) Her "routine" lead test came back off the charts. It would have been really nice if the test had just been run when it was asked for.

CS...don't misunderstand. I'm not saying this will happen to you, just that I'm personally frustrated today. :
That sounds like an incredibly frustrating day. I can empathize with not getting the treatment I know a child whom I care for needs and I'm sorry.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#131 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

CS - I'm so sorry you are going through this! Is there any other doctor covered by insurance that you could try?

Quote:
PB - Can you explain more about the symptoms of metal toxicity (e.g., the metal look and delayed dentition)?
#132 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Sigh. Well ultimately it's not about me. There's only so much I can do. One of the things I help clients with is how to navigate the system and advocate for themselves. I told mama not to ask, to simply inform the doc she wanted to test. There's a different energy there. It's like saying you're not sure you want vaccinations in the office, or you don't *think* so. It ain't gonna fly and you are not going to walk away happy.

She didn't. She asked the doc if SHE thought it was worth it and *even after I voiced my concern directly to the doc* she blew it off. I think things may have gone differently if mom had said, "I'm noticing these things and see that they are consistent with heavy metal toxicity. I'd like to test to rule it out."

You can lead a horse to water....
#133 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
PB - Can you explain more about the symptoms of metal toxicity (e.g., the metal look and delayed dentition)?
I'm not sure you'd see it if you didn't know what to look for...and even then it takes practice (I think.) It's similar to allergies or gut dysbiosis where you would have the circles or wrinkles under the eyes but the main difference (and where I start thinking metals) is if the child if puffy. You'll see it a bit along the cheekbones, but they will just have a look of almost edema. It's not that they are chubby, it's that there is very little muscle definition even if they are strong and thin. You can't *see* muscle.

Metal toxic adults will be the same. No matter how much they work out or how much weight they lose they will never look "cut." They can be overweight or underweight but they will look puffy.

Metals often cause delayed dentition as they interfere with nutrient uptake. I have a hunch this is more when toxicity is passed through mom rather than when it's environmental but I have nothing to back that up. What is true is that metal toxic kids often teeth late and with difficulty.
#134 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
And then she said she talked to the ped who said there's absolutely no reason to test DD for metals. They wouldn't do that unless there was like a serious lack of growth or something.
Argh! How many kids are they missing? My kids are typical to big, they have metal problems--and gluten problems (I hear some are hesitant to suggest gluten's problematic if the kid's gaining weight)!

We ordered through Direct Lab Services, the Hair Elements test, for $93. We don't have any doctor-type person who could do that for us.

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx?TabId=55

You'll see the test if you type hair elements in the search box.

eta--and they send the results via email if you want, and fairly quickly.
#135 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 PM

duplicate post...but I will add on the heels of the last one that I know of one child that is chelating now. She was three and didn't have most of her teeth. Literally within a month of starting gentle chelation (just liquid chlorophyll and tautopathy) she had her teeth come in. I think it was like 7 in that month. Pretty neat.
#136 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
duplicate post...but I will add on the heels of the last one that I know of one child that is chelating now. She was three and didn't have most of her teeth. Literally within a month of starting gentle chelation (just liquid chlorophyll and tautopathy) she had her teeth come in. I think it was like 7 in that month. Pretty neat.
Wow, that's amazing! So at what point do I get concerned about DD not having any teeth? She is 8 1/2 months. She is also more puffy even though her weight is very low for her height.
#137 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 PM

That's cool.

I wonder if it's a matter of degree of toxicity, or some family quirk, or a combination for the delayed dentition--my son's teeth came in really early (4 teeth at 4mos, 8 by 8mos, 12 by a year, like that) but when you said difficulty--yes. Yes yes yes, none of us were happy with this process.
#138 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
1. I really dislike when they add on money. It's a $45 test. Personal prejudice.
2. I don't care if they can't interpret it. It comes with ALOT of info and if they would just DO IT then you can ask someone else to actually interpret it.
3. Did you tell them that the CST was for it?
4. Why does it matter if they generally wouldn't recommend it to you if you are asking for it?

Actually, I called Doctor's Data to ask about the process, and they told me it was $109. Oh- or are you saying that Doctor's Data is jacking up the price?

I'm going to call the CST on Monday and ask her to do it. I'm fairly confident that she would do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
CS - I'm so sorry you are going through this! Is there any other doctor covered by insurance that you could try?
Nope.... it took forever to find this ped.

Quote:
I'm not sure you'd see it if you didn't know what to look for...and even then it takes practice (I think.) It's similar to allergies or gut dysbiosis where you would have the circles or wrinkles under the eyes but the main difference (and where I start thinking metals) is if the child if puffy. You'll see it a bit along the cheekbones, but they will just have a look of almost edema. It's not that they are chubby, it's that there is very little muscle definition even if they are strong and thin. You can't *see* muscle.

Metal toxic adults will be the same. No matter how much they work out or how much weight they lose they will never look "cut." They can be overweight or underweight but they will look puffy.

Metals often cause delayed dentition as they interfere with nutrient uptake. I have a hunch this is more when toxicity is passed through mom rather than when it's environmental but I have nothing to back that up. What is true is that metal toxic kids often teeth late and with difficulty.
Ok- couple things. DD is quite puffy. The CST noticed immediately the puffy cheekbones (just under the dark circles under her eyes), and said that it was from a stagnant lymphatic system (I think... it was a while ago.) Is that the kind of puffy that you're talking about? But on the flip side, DP is Alaskan Native, and he is quite puffy naturally- wide, round face with full puffy cheeks. So I know that it's partly genetic...

And the teeth- DD got her first 8 teeth pretty early. And none since. According to teeth charts, she should have like 6-8 more by now, including 1-year molars. Is that a concern?

I am so annoyed with the ped right now. She actually has been the only allie that I've found yet- she fully admits that I have much more knowledge in this area than her, and she respects my decisions. I just gave her the name of Kenneth Bock's book for her to read, and she said she'd look into it. That's why I'm especially annoyed that she flat out refused to order this test.

#139 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Actually, I called Doctor's Data to ask about the process, and they told me it was $109. Oh- or are you saying that Doctor's Data is jacking up the price?

I'm going to call the CST on Monday and ask her to do it. I'm fairly confident that she would do it for me.
I hope your CST can/will do it. I realized, belatedly, I wasn't clear above--Direct Lab Services will act as a doctor to order from Doctor's Data. It seems like a pseudo-doctor thing, because Doctor's Data needs a doc to do the ordering. You don't get a doctor at Direct Lab Services to actually talk to, but a name goes on the form (and it's a big company, a very well-established process, so although this seems like a loophole, it's been done for a long, long time). That's where the $93 came from, DLS will send you the test from Doctor's Data for that price. I'm sorry it's this difficult to get basic things done.
#140 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I hope your CST can/will do it. I realized, belatedly, I wasn't clear above--Direct Lab Services will act as a doctor to order from Doctor's Data. It seems like a pseudo-doctor thing, because Doctor's Data needs a doc to do the ordering. You don't get a doctor at Direct Lab Services to actually talk to, but a name goes on the form (and it's a big company, a very well-established process, so although this seems like a loophole, it's been done for a long, long time). That's where the $93 came from, DLS will send you the test from Doctor's Data for that price. I'm sorry it's this difficult to get basic things done.
No way- is it the same test? And it's actually cheaper than going directly through Doctor's Data?

#141 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM

I had no idea there was any way to actually order directly from Doctor's Data. But yeah, ordering through Direct Lab Services to get the Doctor's Data test (DLS really acts just like a doctor, it's Doctor's Data stuff that you get in the mail) is the standard way for those of us without doctors who know about this stuff. I think doctors need an account to order through Doctor's Data (it's easy and I think free to set up, but many probably just don't have any motivation to do it).

I know PB knows more about using the results to look at all the minerals and what they mean. I did it to look for mercury and other heavy metals (used Andy Cutler's rules for mercury, my daughter showed mercury even though the mercury in her hair was quite low). I understand that part somewhat (the mercury-related stuff) but not as much for the regular minerals.
#142 of 441 Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Hey, and I just remembered something else. If you phone DLS to order the test and mention that you got the recommendation from the autism-mercury yahoo group, they'll give you an additional discount, I think in the mid-70s (I learned too late to help us, later this year maybe we'll test again).
#143 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tanya!! Screw the ped, I will order it myself.

#144 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 AM

It costs me (because my doc also doesn't jack the prices up) $45 each time I do it. That is through DDI. Some doctors mark up the tests. I take issue with that. I guess it wouldn't bother me if they didn't charge you for the visit to go over the results. I dunno. I just think you should pay for the cost of the test and then for your practitioners time afterwards in the appointment.
#145 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Ok- couple things. DD is quite puffy. The CST noticed immediately the puffy cheekbones (just under the dark circles under her eyes), and said that it was from a stagnant lymphatic system (I think... it was a while ago.) Is that the kind of puffy that you're talking about?
probably, yes. metals do create stagnation in the lymphatic system and impede detoxification.

But on the flip side, DP is Alaskan Native, and he is quite puffy naturally- wide, round face with full puffy cheeks. So I know that it's partly genetic...
round cheeks isn't quite the same thing as puffiness. This you would see in the arms and legs as well.

And the teeth- DD got her first 8 teeth pretty early. And none since. According to teeth charts, she should have like 6-8 more by now, including 1-year molars. Is that a concern?
It's an indication that something is up. I would just personally want the metals checked.

I am so annoyed with the ped right now. She actually has been the only allie that I've found yet- she fully admits that I have much more knowledge in this area than her, and she respects my decisions. I just gave her the name of Kenneth Bock's book for her to read, and she said she'd look into it. That's why I'm especially annoyed that she flat out refused to order this test.
It is annoying, but perhaps this is just one more way you will teach her. Or perhaps (better yet) it will come back with no issues. The good part is that you can check one more thing off your list.
#146 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It's an indication that something is up. I would just personally want the metals checked.
huh, my dd only has 5 teeth and they take forever to come down when they do. i was trying not to think about that as being a possible problem but i suppose i should chuck it on the pile.
cs, i feel like we have the same kid sometimes ( but yours doesnt make pee pees by the french door)
#147 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 AM

well, it and of itself isn't a problem....but it is a sign that something is off.
#148 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 AM

PB - Would you suggest testing both mom and baby for metals? And would you say no teeth at 8 1/2 months is concerning (I've heard various things about whether this can be considered normal)?
#149 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
well, it and of itself isn't a problem....but it is a sign that something is off.
i told dh that i thought her body isnt bothering with the teeth so much because it is so focused on gut/immune issues. i guess maybe there's something to that.
#150 of 441 Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It costs me (because my doc also doesn't jack the prices up) $45 each time I do it. That is through DDI. Some doctors mark up the tests. I take issue with that. I guess it wouldn't bother me if they didn't charge you for the visit to go over the results. I dunno. I just think you should pay for the cost of the test and then for your practitioners time afterwards in the appointment.
Ok, this is where I'm getting confused. I called Doctor's Data directly (before calling my ped), and THEY are the ones that gave me a price of $109. It wasn't the doctor. And she said that's been the price for 6 or 7 years. It's this test, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
cs, i feel like we have the same kid sometimes ( but yours doesnt make pee pees by the french door)
Well, she sure would if we had a french door.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page