Chat thread: Feb 7-13 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I really need to try some beet sugar. Has anyone used it? Is it yummy? Would it work in my muffins? (I can use honey... but they're just not as good as with cane sugar.)

Yeah- I can mail you some for sure. PM me your address. Just keep in mind that they've been in my fridge for a few weeks, so it will take a few batches to get them going again.

Any other allergy mamas want some grains? I seriously have a ton.
It's just like cane sugar, only the source is different. I had never used cane sugar in my life, prior to moving to the US. If you run across the border, you can probably find beet sugar in any Canadian grocery store under the brand name "Roger's". Their icing sugar uses corn starch, though, and they mix their brown/yellow sugar with cane sugar molasses. You might be better off ordering it from Amazon, or someplace though... There's apparently only 1 facility that produces beet sugar, the other 2 produce cane, from what I just read on their site. I guess I just lived in a lucky province that we always got beet.
I'd love some grains, but I don't know what to do with them or anything, so I'll pass for now.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#62 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
Also - I bet you could use beet sugar for it... $3/3lbs on amazon.
Yikes- I just went to look at this.... and it's only $9.99 for shipping.

Maybe I will see if my HFS can order some.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#63 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM

I'd love some water kefir grains. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#64 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'd love some water kefir grains. :

Pat
You got it. PM me your address.

I'm glad these will go to good homes. I put a post on the "got kefir grains & scobies" thread (that seemed to have disappeared from the TF forum) that I would give them to anyone local, but I was too lazy to mail them. Of course no one has responded...

And for you ladies- I will gladly get over my laziness to share my grains. Plus, DD and I have been getting out for a walk almost every day (thanks to my remedy!) and the post office is just a short walk away.

Ok, done rambling...

#65 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just emailed Roger's (Lantic) to see if I can find out more information about how to know which processing plant (you'd be looking for the Taber plant) their sugar is from. Hopefully, I will hear back soon.
I'm not even sure if you'd be willing to go into Victoria to get the silly stuff but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#66 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Oh snap!

One of my HFS carries other stuff by that same brand. I was going to see if they could order me some. If they do, I will totally ship a bag to you 1st class mail.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#67 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM

ooh, i want to try beet sugar too. i wonder if that would work for us.
cs, you just throw your grains in succanat water and they triple like that? i havent trialed succanat yet. i have been using organic cane sugar and mine barely do anything. i might be leaving them too long though, i do 3 days cause i want them to eat up all the sugar so dd doesnt have issues.

if we get together for a picnic, can kathy cook and can cs make some rum and blueberry drinks?
#68 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM

I second the fatigue/anxiety/depression/sleep issues - adrenal/thyroid connection!

I'm getting so confused with all my MTHFR research... My head is swimming with methylation and sulfur amino acids and salicylates and how everything says I should have high homocysteine but I don't and...

eta: my attempt to keep organized

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#69 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using ridiculously expensive local, raw honey. But I tried another honey once (not raw), and it seemed like DD reacted, so I've been too scared to try another one.
This thread is crazy!

CS... this is TOTALLY consistent with what I was reading today! I wonder.....
#70 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
This thread is crazy!

Crazy how?

whoMe, I seriously need to start doing that on one of my blogs. (Yes, ONE of my poor, neglected blogs.)

#71 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 PM

crazy fast moving!!!!
#72 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

I'm getting so confused with all my MTHFR research... My head is swimming with methylation and sulfur amino acids and salicylates and how everything says I should have high homocysteine but I don't and...

hugs, mama. It is ALOT.
#73 of 425 Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
cs, you just throw your grains in succanat water and they triple like that? i havent trialed succanat yet. i have been using organic cane sugar and mine barely do anything. i might be leaving them too long though, i do 3 days cause i want them to eat up all the sugar so dd doesnt have issues.
Yep, they LOVE the sucanat. And it's made from sugar cane too, so if you're good with cane sugar you should be fine with sucanat. It's just less processed than cane sugar. Mine don't do much in just the organic cane sugar either.

On another note- I finally (after seeing the suggestion on another thread) put my kefir on my water heater to brew, and they are finally REALLY working. Like bubbly just overnight, where in my kitchen it would take 2 full days to start seeing bubbles. So if yours aren't doing much, I would try to find a warmer spot. And get some sucanat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
This thread is crazy!

Ooh- what were you reading? How is that consistent?? Waiting eagerly to soak up some of your knowledge.

#74 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I second the fatigue/anxiety/depression/sleep issues - adrenal/thyroid connection!

Cool site. Would love to read more about how salicylates could interfere with vitamin K. My personal theory, that I just came to relatively recently, was that the symptoms I'm seeing in my family that I view as related to vitamin K are also consistent with the mildest version of von Willebrand's disease. The serious types of VWD are pretty serious, and that's not us, but the mild type is usually missed--but my interpretation (instead of this being a chronic and/or weird/bad genetic "disease") is that it's an inefficiency we have in being able to use K, so we need more than most people, but VWD varies a lot in severity, so I'm wondering if good nutrition and homeopathy could lower our K need (maybe next kiddo) so that we could get it from food--right now it's WAY more than we could get from food, even great food. Wow, horrible run-on sentence. But so it was interesting to get an alternate vitamin K theory right now, it's worth looking into (I need to look specifically into salicylates because looking at the site removing all food chemicals, the fats are problematic and I'm not sure I am willing to do the work on the meats for the amines).

And obviously I'm onboard with the fatigue/anxiety/depression/sleep issues adrenal/thyroid stuff, I've done it all! But it seems like, for each of us, there's a combination of supportive "stuff" now, dietary modifications/supplements/lifestyle things, what-have-you, but then also figuring out what the bigger root causes were and addressing those.
#75 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Ooh- what were you reading? How is that consistent?? Waiting eagerly to soak up some of your knowledge.
it was about phenolytic compounds and pollen. I dont' know that I'll get to post tonight but I will try.
#76 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
i have been using organic cane sugar and mine barely do anything.
I just thought of something else- when I use cane sugar, I put in about 1 T. of molasses and the grains love it.

But alas.... it seems that I am reacting to the cane sugar in the water kefir. I was hoping I wouldn't since I'm letting it brew for 2 days. Oh well. Back to making really expensive honey water kefir.

#77 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

PB, the information you're sharing regarding phenolytic compounds, homeopathic remedies, etc... Has there been a study published on it yet? I'm asking because it sounds suspiciously like what my allergist said he was researching and said he was hoping to publish within the next year (that was in April).

#78 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yep, they LOVE the sucanat. And it's made from sugar cane too, so if you're good with cane sugar you should be fine with sucanat. It's just less processed than cane sugar. Mine don't do much in just the organic cane sugar either.

Just wanted to 2nd the sucanant (thanks to CS recommendation!)
I'm on my 4th brew with this batch of grains, and it was fizzy/bubbly on my second batch after 24 hrs, and has been consistent like this each time.
I haven't brewed for exactly 48hours yet, I'm still experimenting with the times.
I'm still undecided wether it's a pass too, DS sleep has improved slightly (to a normal person of course they think the amount of times he gets up to eat is insane, but to us, it's an improvement!) I'm just waiting for the poop report to know for sure....
#79 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 AM

re: local, raw honey.

We can ONLY do raw honey. Even local & filtered is not okay. Although, there is one local guy who does "starthistle" honey that no matter what (raw, filtered, etc) we seem to react to.

So, if we want the kind we don't react to, it's something like $10 for a tiny jar (8 or 10oz maybe?). Honey is truly a delicacy around here.

#80 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Can I join your party?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#81 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM

man, I feel so inadequate. I can't even understand what all this stuff means. I'm still trying to figure out what we're reacting to, and include a couple TF healing measures. I don't get all this other HCl, phenolytic compounds, etc. business. :

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#82 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Can I join your party?
Sure! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
man, I feel so inadequate. I can't even understand what all this stuff means. I'm still trying to figure out what we're reacting to, and include a couple TF healing measures. I don't get all this other HCl, phenolytic compounds, etc. business. :

Some of us are just further along the road than you. You are essentially where I was in Nov 2007. I feel for ya mama. In case it's unclear, all I'm saying is that I've had 15m to experiment, observe, read, research, and post here.

Please lean on us, ask questions, etc. We are here for you! (all of you: we are all here for each other. i.e. delurk, lurkers!!)

#83 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Changingseasons I would love some grains.

I thought my son was sleeping better but he was up at 4am talking in his sleep, laying on me, wanting to get up. I finally got up with him at 5:30. GAH! I'm about to go wake up my DH and go back to bed.

The only thing I can think of is corn. We haven't cut that out and it didn't show up on the IgG test, but he had a bunch of corn chips yesterday.

#84 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM

We're doing a peanut butter trial today; wish us luck!

DD1 just told me the following after her first bite of PB in over a year... "It tastes like 100 miles of yum!"

#85 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
PB, the information you're sharing regarding phenolytic compounds, homeopathic remedies, etc... Has there been a study published on it yet? I'm asking because it sounds suspiciously like what my allergist said he was researching and said he was hoping to publish within the next year (that was in April).
yes, there's been a book published as well as research. There was at least 100 trials done by one doctor. I talked about it in the "Nancy Drew" thread. There is a company that has dedicated their research to it. I'd guess he's seen that.
#86 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I just thought of something else- when I use cane sugar, I put in about 1 T. of molasses and the grains love it.

This is what I do.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#87 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
re: local, raw honey.

We can ONLY do raw honey. Even local & filtered is not okay. Although, there is one local guy who does "starthistle" honey that no matter what (raw, filtered, etc) we seem to react to.

So, if we want the kind we don't react to, it's something like $10 for a tiny jar (8 or 10oz maybe?). Honey is truly a delicacy around here.
Ugh. That's what I'm afraid of. I really want to order a gallon from Azure, but what if DD reacts? Then I have a gallon of honey and nothing to do with it. But she's definitely reacting to the cane sugar in my kefir- she slept like sh!t last night... The other reason why I need a cheaper honey is because it is like crack to me. I eat it by the spoonful. But I don't think it's a you're-allergic-to-what-you-crave thing, at least I hope not... I don't show any symptoms from it, and DD doesn't either.

Quote:
Changingseasons I would love some grains.
PM me your address. Same disclaimer as above... they tend to get yeasty being cooped up in a plastic bag while they're mailed, plus they've been in my fridge for a while. So give them a good few batches before expecting anything to happen.

Quote:
We're doing a peanut butter trial today; wish us luck!

DD1 just told me the following after her first bite of PB in over a year... "It tastes like 100 miles of yum!"
WOW. I can't even imagine how exciting and yummy that is. I'm quite afraid that peanut butter is something that I will never taste again.

#88 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 PM

So forgive a newbie, but what is it about cane sugar that would cause a problem? The sugar itself or something it might be contaminated with?

#89 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
So forgive a newbie, but what is it about cane sugar that would cause a problem? The sugar itself or something it might be contaminated with?
Could be a couple things. First, just a plain ol' allergy to sugar cane. It comes from a plant, so just like any other plant, can be allergenic. Not a very common allergy, but it's possible.

The other thing is that if you have candida overgrowth, it could be feeding the yeast and the yeast could be causing symptoms.

#90 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I really need to try some beet sugar. Has anyone used it? Is it yummy? Would it work in my muffins? (I can use honey... but they're just not as good as with cane sugar.)

Yeah- I can mail you some for sure. PM me your address. Just keep in mind that they've been in my fridge for a few weeks, so it will take a few batches to get them going again.

Any other allergy mamas want some grains? I seriously have a ton.
beet sugar tastes just like cane sugar. It does look more sparkly though. I haven't tried making it into confectioners sugar yet though, but I will. DS can have it (DD2 can't) so I only use it in stuff that's only for him so far.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page