Chat thread: Feb 7-13 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
What other minerals would I be getting from filtered tap water?
I'm not positive about this, but I think that only the reverse osmosis systems are the ones that filter out minerals. They filter out everything, and so if you have an RO system, you have to supplement with minerals over time.

I did a lot of research on this a while back, and that's why we chose the Aquasana. (That kinda sounds like a commercial .) It doesn't filter out as much as the RO, but close to it, and it leaves in the minerals, or I guess most of them, maybe some are filtered out. I doubt that the Brita filter would filter out much if any of the minerals.
#122 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Hmm... (we need a little smoking head smilie to connote thinking hard )

ETA: It doesn't decrease the blood levels of calcium by any chance, does it?
Yeah, really! According to Page, who, as far as I can tell, didn't publish his info in a peer reviewed journal, but rather a book, and I can't find anything to corroborate it on google scholar (though I might just have the wrong search terms) - how's that for a disclaimer? - It initially raises your calcium and depresses phosphorus, then it does the opposite, eventually getting back to normal 30-36 HOURS later. So presumably it's leeching calcium from your bones, then dumping it
Quote:
After doing a little further digging on Tuberose (I still haven't managed to actually *finish* reading the minerals article ), I found a couple of things that might be interesting to you, whoMe.

For some reason, your post made me think of diabetes, so I started wondering about the effects on the kidneys (my foster mom is a diabetic currently in kidney dialysis).
It turns out that excess dietary fructose causes urinary loss of phosphorus and is more pronounced if the diet is low in magnesium. As phosphorus levels drop, so do calcium levels (they help to regulate each other). A drop in calcium levels causes an increase in parathyroid hormone (PTH) which tells the kidneys to convert vitamin D into calcitrol, which tells the intestines to try to absorb more calcium and phosphorus. PTH and calcitrol also tell the body to resorb bone material (resulting in a loss of bone density).
This leads me to believe (even more) that HFCS is from the devil. It may be "the thing" to blame for the dramatic rise in osteoporosis, as well as the vitamin D deficiency plaguing North America, among other varied illnesses- possibly including "leaky gut".
Interesting! We learned about PTH and Ca/P balance in my anatomy and physiology class. One major halt in the system is that it assumes adequate vitamin D. Which I know I don't have.

HFCS is on my 'not food' list, but I didn't know about fructose and phosphorus! Isn't honey pretty high in fructose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
WhoMe, just from the nutrition standpoint, I think sugar in all its forms is problematic, but I'm sitting here drinking a soda while I write that. And it seems to have other systemic effects that are also quite problematic, but it's so darned hard to give up, and I always fall back on it when I'm feeling stressed. Old eating patterns are so hard to kick.
Page also talks about WHY people are eating sugar. Someone in TF recommended the book 'The Yoga of Eating' a while back, and I liked it a lot. Basically, you eat sugar because that's what your body needs RIGHT NOW, and so you shouldn't fault yourself for eating it. If you don't want to be eating it, you should figure out why your body needs it, and address that. Kinda like how I like to parent dd... It really does all tie in together, doesn't it?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#123 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I'm sorry I haven't been around. I'm feeling overwhelmed right now, I guess. My mental bucket is full Anyway, I'm sure this isn't the chat you're all looking for, but if you could send a hug or good vibes my way, I'd appreciate it.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#124 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm going to throw this into this thread, I don't think it's worthy of a new topic yet...

Over in Vaccinations, someone shared this link

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

It's a very heavy article on Th1/Th2, but the link above goes straight to page 16 that discusses nutrition and Th1/Th2 (though pages 14 and 15 discuss oxidative stress and mercury and Th2 dominance). I found most of the article really dense and difficult, but it seemed to be concluding that allergies and many of the things we're dealing with here _are_ about Th1/Th2 imbalance, but it seems like the data is more mixed for a lot of other health concerns. A few things mentioned were: melatonin (the honey->melatonin thing is interesting, though that's not in the article, just from other discussions), DHEA/adrenal hormones, selenium, zinc, probiotics.
On the topic of organization and full mental buckets, this link is now opened in a new tab that will be ignored until the next time I want to read something interesting. I love that the latest firefox saves your windows when you quit!

#125 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I don't know... I knew about the enzymes, but then Pat was all excited one day (a month or two ago) and posted a bunch of links and said that honey also had probiotics in it. I didn't look at the links, I just took her word for it.

Different varietals of honey possess a large amount of friendly bacteria (6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria), which may explain many of the "mysterious therapeutic properties of honey."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=96
http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/Use...m%20Report.pdf

Clinical studies have shown that honey enhances the growth of healthful bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. The effect of honey was similar to that of commercial FOS, GOS and inulin. Sweeteners other than honey did not appear to have an effect on stimulating bifidobacteria growth.
1. Honey can enhance the growth of acid production of human Bifidobacterium ss. Journal of Food Protection. 2002; 65(1); 214-8
2. Honey enhances the production of lactic acid from Bifidobacteria, Journal of Food Science, 2001;66(3): 478-481
http://www.weebeehoney.net/honey_for_health.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#126 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Aha! I knew you'd show up with your links in hand.

#127 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Maybe this is why honey is like crack to me right now- my liver really needs it! (from the whfoods link)

Quote:
Proper fueling of the liver is central to optimal glucose metabolism during sleep and exercise. Honey is the ideal liver fuel because it contains a nearly 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose. Fructose "unlocks" the enzyme from the liver cell's nucleus that is necessary for the incorporation of glucose into glycogen (the form in which sugar is stored in the liver and muscle cells). An adequate glycogen store in the liver is essential to supply the brain with fuel when we are sleeping and during prolonged exercise. When glycogen stores are insufficient, the brain triggers the release of stress hormones - adrenalin and cortisol - in order to convert muscle protein into glucose. Repeated metabolic stress from cortisol produced when less than optimal liver glycogen stores are available during sleep, leads over time, to impaired glucose metabolism, insulin resistance, diabetes, and increased risk for cardiovascular disease and obesity.

#128 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Different varietals of honey possess a large amount of friendly bacteria (6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria), which may explain many of the "mysterious therapeutic properties of honey."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=96
http://www.prohoneyandhealth.com/Use...m%20Report.pdf

Clinical studies have shown that honey enhances the growth of healthful bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. The effect of honey was similar to that of commercial FOS, GOS and inulin. Sweeteners other than honey did not appear to have an effect on stimulating bifidobacteria growth.
1. Honey can enhance the growth of acid production of human Bifidobacterium ss. Journal of Food Protection. 2002; 65(1); 214-8
2. Honey enhances the production of lactic acid from Bifidobacteria, Journal of Food Science, 2001;66(3): 478-481
http://www.weebeehoney.net/honey_for_health.html

Pat
OK, *this* is something I can get into
In my religion, honey is considered to be the TOP healer/remedy (as well as black seed/nigella sativa). And I believe it wholeheartedly, with or without proof, but when I see science back it up it just strengthens my faith.

I'm definitely goin to read those and try to incorporate more honey in my diet.
Thanks!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#129 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I decided to go old school. I am cutting and pasting relevant discussions, printing them out and puuting them in a binder. I feel like I'm back at university. I considering myself to be unschooling, so I am giving it the seriousness it deserves.

Already I am finding it to reduce my anxiety (which I have a tendancy for) I no longer need to keep all info inthe front of my brain. I just read an research article about homocysteine which was over my head, by underlining and going back I now understand better.
Now I need to understand Mthrfr. Heehee
I've started printing out the stuff that I really like and keeping it all in one binder so that I don't have to go searching later...

Ok, let's see if I can explain MTHFR in a nutshell (as it relates to me, of course )

There's been a lot of talk about midline issues being related to sensitivities. I interpret midline issues to basically be really mild neural tube defects. One (the?) way to prevent NTDs is to have normal levels of homocysteine. One enzyme responsible for that is MTHFR. Some people have a mutation in MTHFR that makes it work not-so-well. And so you need more (2x) folate available to get it to do it's job right. Alternatively, salicylates slow down the production of homocysteine in the first place, at the cost of methylation, resulting in who-knows-what, epigenetics-wise, and lowered detox ability (I think). Some people have a mutation in a different spot that (essentially) results in low production of dopamine. Dopamine is important for proper gut function, but I haven't gotten the specifics of that yet.

Then, of course, there are more enzymes and mutations to look at in terms of dopamine regulation. And it's all related to ADD, Autism, amine sensitivity, heavy metal toxicity... Yeah. My insomnia for the past two nights has been my brain swimming and processing, NOT because of my adrenals for once

#130 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM

"Honey mainly consists of a mixture of sugars, together with various trace elements. The sugars are glucose, fructose and sucrose. All brands of honey contain fructose at higher levels than glucose. Over the past 10 years, information has been accumulating to suggest that many people have problems digesting fructose adequately. Fructose that isn't absorbed from the small intestine into the bloodstream passes on into the large intestine, where it is consumed by the resident bacteria."
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0044.htm

"Some nutrition experts say honey, unlike table sugar, contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals and that honey can aid in digestion. Researchers are currently looking into antioxidant levels of honey to see if they also can improve one's health."

"The vitamins present in honey are B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. The minerals found in honey include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc."

"recommend not more than 10 teaspoons of honey (which is about 50ml)"

Pat

I have a blog.
#131 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Chinese Pistache, I'm sorry you are struggling. Sending you strength and healing energy and some sleep. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#132 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
On the topic of organization and full mental buckets, this link is now opened in a new tab that will be ignored until the next time I want to read something interesting. I love that the latest firefox saves your windows when you quit!
Wow, that's a great tip! I tried installing firefox on my computer and for some reason it didn't work. Where can I go to try again? And do I need to take off the firefox that is on there? It seemed like it installed, and an icon appeared for it, but I couldn't get it to work. Should I go to add/remove programs and remove and try all over again?

I've been using Google Chrome actually, and like it a lot.
#133 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM

I finally used the crystal, and it really was amazing! But I have a question. I used it to ask which practitioner I should take my older ds to, the chiro, the new CST person, or a family friend that does healing massage. I wrote the three on pieces of paper, out the paper in his hand, and asked it over his wrist. One said a clear no, very strong. One said a clear yes, again strong, and one just was perfectly still. When I went to read the papers, I looked at the yes first, and before I even opened it, I just knew what it was, and I was right, it was the family friend.

But does being still mean just maybe or neutral? Or does it mean not sure yet? The chiro was the one that was still. (We have an appt tomorrow.) And then I asked if I should do both (the chiro and the family friend) and it said a clear yes again.

It was pretty amazing. I also asked some questions about myself. I was skeptical, and thought for sure it was the way I was holding the string and had it tied, but then I tried asking things again and being sure to hold the string and crystal starting in the same direction, and it still clearly said yes or no.
#134 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I've started printing out the stuff that I really like and keeping it all in one binder so that I don't have to go searching later...

Ok, let's see if I can explain MTHFR in a nutshell (as it relates to me, of course )

There's been a lot of talk about midline issues being related to sensitivities. I interpret midline issues to basically be really mild neural tube defects. One (the?) way to prevent NTDs is to have normal levels of homocysteine. One enzyme responsible for that is MTHFR. Some people have a mutation in MTHFR that makes it work not-so-well. And so you need more (2x) folate available to get it to do it's job right. Alternatively, salicylates slow down the production of homocysteine in the first place, at the cost of methylation, resulting in who-knows-what, epigenetics-wise, and lowered detox ability (I think). Some people have a mutation in a different spot that (essentially) results in low production of dopamine. Dopamine is important for proper gut function, but I haven't gotten the specifics of that yet.

Then, of course, there are more enzymes and mutations to look at in terms of dopamine regulation. And it's all related to ADD, Autism, amine sensitivity, heavy metal toxicity... Yeah. My insomnia for the past two nights has been my brain swimming and processing, NOT because of my adrenals for once

This is really depressing. Thanks for explaining it. Do you have any favorite links about this? We hit each of your too.

You all are WELCOME to post links in any fashion you'd like on the "Heal Thyself" site. I'd love to see all of your combined knowledge in one place for folks to reference. Or perhaps, we could start a "links" thread and organize it in some fashion.

Pat

I have a blog.
#135 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Seriously
Went to look for links asked for in another thread and found out that DH apparently thought they were unnecessary (for the 6th time in as many months) and has deleted all of my bookmarks.
I'm seriously starting to think that I'm just a non-person to him. So sick of this.
Too ticked to even read anything anyone else wrote right now. Sorry for being a UAV. Going to go make supper and cry.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#136 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Ok. Seriously
Went to look for links asked for in another thread and found out that DH apparently thought they were unnecessary (for the 6th time in as many months) and has deleted all of my bookmarks.
I'm seriously starting to think that I'm just a non-person to him. So sick of this.
Too ticked to even read anything anyone else wrote right now. Sorry for being a UAV. Going to go make supper and cry.
Don't do anything brash. You just took your remedy. Tomorrow you will realize that you didn't need those links and you will find exactly what you need, exactly when you need it.

Pat

I have a blog.
#137 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Ok. Seriously
Why would he delete all your bookmarks? I would ask him to please not do this anymore, this is important information you need.

Sorry,
#138 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Don't do anything brash. You just took your remedy. Tomorrow you will realize that you didn't need those links and you will find exactly what you need, exactly when you need it.

Pat
You have such a great perspective Pat!
#139 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Ok. Seriously
oh, I would just . I'm sorry- that sucks.

#140 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Pat
Think this is just an aggravation?
I'm just so MAD. I've been mad lately, on the verge of telling him where to shove it, but I could just freaking HIT him right now.
I *hope* this is just an aggravation from my remedy. ARRRGHH.

I don't know why he does it, momofmine. The thing that ticks me even more about it is that he'll ask "Do you still need these?" before he does it too. Sort of like how I was asked about our new room mates 2 days before they moved in (today). I told him this morning I needed one more day to think about it and, next thing I know, they're unpacking downstairs.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#141 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Ok. Seriously
can you check your browser history? If you're lucky, it would have stuff for the past month, but it can be a pain to sort through. I think google also has some way of storing links?

For whoever asked, you can go to firefox.org to download a copy and it'll tell you if you need to delete the old copy first or not (probably not)

#142 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I haven't been around. I'm feeling overwhelmed right now, I guess. My mental bucket is full Anyway, I'm sure this isn't the chat you're all looking for, but if you could send a hug or good vibes my way, I'd appreciate it.
I hope things become more peaceful for you again soon....sending all good things your way ~~~~
#143 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'm just so MAD. I've been mad lately, on the verge of telling him where to shove it, but I could just freaking HIT him right now.
That's me exactly, with unhappy adrenals (specifically, low pantothenic acid)

#144 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Not an aggravation, just a heightening of emotions. mama, it sounds like you are having a rough time! That is alot to handle. Hopefully though very soon you will feel more centered.
#145 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I don't know why he does it, momofmine. The thing that ticks me even more about it is that he'll ask "Do you still need these?" before he does it too. Sort of like how I was asked about our new room mates 2 days before they moved in (today). I told him this morning I needed one more day to think about it and, next thing I know, they're unpacking downstairs.
Oh Jacqueline... I don't blame you at all for being livid. He bought a house without talking to you about it, and now he brought in roommates without letting you have a say in the decision... I don't know how I would deal with that.

I think you should let him make dinner, and you sit down with a good book and a bowl of ice cream or something (or something just as sinful, but safe. )

#146 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I think you should let him make dinner, and you sit down with a good book and a bowl of ice cream or something (or something just as sinful, but safe. )

Oh, that's some good comedy relief.
He's not home (he's been out a lot lately, probably because I'm mad at him a lot of the time lately). He's apparently getting me a Valentine's present, which he's never done before in the 5 years we've been together.
He doesn't know how to cook anyway.
As for what I found funny, we had an argument last Sunday and I went and hid in the kitchen after the kids went to sleep and ate half a quart of ice cream. Maybe that's how I gained 8 pounds?

ETA: Which reminds me (the eating ice cream part), I felt really great after eating all that ice cream... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the caseo-something you were talking about in another thread, CS.

Quote:
The partial proteins can create caseomorphins that cause an opiod effect- intoxication, contentment, pleasure.
From this thread.

#147 of 425 Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh, that's some good comedy relief.
He's not home (he's been out a lot lately, probably because I'm mad at him a lot of the time lately). He's apparently getting me a Valentine's present, which he's never done before in the 5 years we've been together.
He doesn't know how to cook anyway.
As for what I found funny, we had an argument last Sunday and I went and hid in the kitchen after the kids went to sleep and ate half a quart of ice cream. Maybe that's how I gained 8 pounds?
We never do anything for Valentine's either. I'm sitting down here online because I'm irritated at DH. I wish I had some ice cream to binge on (no I don't; that coconut milk stuff is too expensive to binge on). I wish I had something to binge on though!
Hopefully things will be looking better. Two roommates? Do you have the room? And are they paying? At least, if they help with the money it might not be so bad (if you don't have to cook for them).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#148 of 425 Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
We never do anything for Valentine's either. I'm sitting down here online because I'm irritated at DH. I wish I had some ice cream to binge on (no I don't; that coconut milk stuff is too expensive to binge on). I wish I had something to binge on though!
Hopefully things will be looking better. Two roommates? Do you have the room? And are they paying? At least, if they help with the money it might not be so bad (if you don't have to cook for them).
I was eating regular ice cream. My only other option is Rice Dream ice cream.
We have room. There is what is supposed to be commercial space on the bottom floor. The payment arrangements are something I'm not going into. Let's just say that it won't actually benefit us in any way, except indirectly (has to do with the whole house situation). I also won't go into why it irritates me that we have room mates at all, since that has to do with the whole house situation again and I'm trying not to get more ticked right now. :

#149 of 425 Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was eating regular ice cream. My only other option is Rice Dream ice cream.
We have room. There is what is supposed to be commercial space on the bottom floor. The payment arrangements are something I'm not going into. Let's just say that it won't actually benefit us in any way, except indirectly (has to do with the whole house situation). I also won't go into why it irritates me that we have room mates at all, since that has to do with the whole house situation again and I'm trying not to get more ticked right now. :

Sorry. I'd be irritated too.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#150 of 425 Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
understood. i often have to go away for awhile. take a mental break from the obsessing and thinking about everything so hard. we've been having way more good days than bad lately, so i am full of optimism. hence, i'm all over the damn place here lately.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page