detox pathway guinea pig - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 829 Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
What kind of lentils are you using? I need to try them again and see if I can get with them.
I am sprouting some lentils right now (per NT instructions) hoping to digest othem better..plus it increases the nutrients I love them in bone broth with some little meatballs, carrots, garlic, onions.... so I am hoping the 3 day process will decrease the gas effect

I am also soaking/sprouting some pumpkin seeds to make some dip out of--YUM! Great idea WuWei

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 829 Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

My latest journey is taking me to my kidneys. I'm thinking they're a major part of all this. Why?

I've always had microscopic hematuria (first tested (and positive) at age 13, first negative test last year) (they did a bunch of tests, but couldn't figure out why)

tuberose article

A few years ago, I think I probably passed kidney stones. The years before that (college) are pretty much described by the "Non-specific Symptoms" section at tuberose. And I thought it was all adrenal fatigue. Probably all related somehow (aldosterone?)

So now I'm on the lookout for what to do for my kidneys. Any leads?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#363 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe kidney stones are triggered by oxidative damage? Possibly from free radicals from overactive phase 1 liver detox?

Quote:
Renal stone disease is associated with high oxidative stress and damage to renal tubular cells. (Tungsanga et al, 2003)
How do calcium and oxalates and acid/alkaline stuff fit in?

#364 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM

i'm still reading the (kidney) tuberose article. but, i'd always heard that excess calcium --> kidney stones.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#365 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 AM

from the link you posted:

Quote:
When people eat acid-forming foods–such as protein (especially animal protein), grains, coffee, sugar, phosphoric acid in sodas, etc.–they must donate alkaline minerals (especially calcium) to buffer the acids. If you’re not replacing these from your diet in the form of fruit and vegetables, the body will rob these from your teeth and bones. This creates a condition called hyper-calcium urea, which means too much calcium is in the urine. Not only do you eliminate calcium from your body’s physiology, but it will precipitate out in the kidneys and bladder in the form of crystals, corals, stones, gravel, etc. Your bones end up in your kidneys! Often, by the time this condition is detected, the kidneys have been infiltrated to such a degree that there’s barely anything left. They remove the kidneys and put the patient on renal dialysis.

#366 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 AM

Thank you for the feedback!!!

How much B6 do you take everyday? DO you take any B6 b/f bed ?

Is there any thread for seasonal allergies my 11 son is really sick this spring. He has hay fever can't eat eggs, carrots, apples and the list goes on and on.

Thanks a bunch!!!
#367 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl View Post
Thank you for the feedback!!!

How much B6 do you take everyday? DO you take any B6 b/f bed ?

Is there any thread for seasonal allergies my 11 son is really sick this spring. He has hay fever can't eat eggs, carrots, apples and the list goes on and on.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Why don't you start a thread, and then you can get a bunch of info all in one place

#368 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
i'm still reading the (kidney) tuberose article. but, i'd always heard that excess calcium --> kidney stones.
I seem to remember Pat saying something about taking one supplement at the same time as calcium being a cause for stones of some kind...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#369 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 AM

more from the posted link:

Quote:
Magnesium and vitamin B6 is used by the body to convert oxalate into other substances, so these supplements reduce the risk of kidney stones. Cranberry juice has been shown to reduce the amount of ionized calcium in the urine by over 50 percent in patients with recurrent kidney stones. Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate may also play a role in reducing the risk the kidney stone formation.

#370 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I seem to remember Pat saying something about taking one supplement at the same time as calcium being a cause for stones of some kind...
Epsom salts orally plus calcium concurrently could lead to kidney stones, I read.

Pat

I have a blog.
#371 of 829 Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I think I have an ACE upregulation, and high angiotensin II.

I think that's the cause of my adrenal fatigue, because it stimulates release of aldosterone. When I was little, salt was

It also promotes release of ADH, which makes you retain water/not so thirsty. I barely drink anything, and I don't have to pee much. I get a little thirsty, but not much at all.

It reduces circulation to extremities (I always have cold hands/feet) and increases norepinephrine.

It generally increases blood pressure. Mine was low when I started paying attention - while pg and after, but is more normal now. My mom and her dad and his mom all had/have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. People with ACE upregulations and high cholesterol often respond to statins, and my mom's on statins now.

Slow production of urine is a result of all of the above, and is a risk factor for kidney stones.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. All I can come up with is drink more water. When I was pg, water was one of the few things that made me sick, especially if I'd just eaten sugar. Pretty much the only other thing was greens. So what was the water throwing out of balance? Why was it making me sick? And what do I need to be careful of now, with increasing water intake?

#372 of 829 Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 AM

on an MSM reading kick right now:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post13349703

anyone try it?
#373 of 829 Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

anyone try it?
Yup. I love MSM. One of my favorite supplements.
#374 of 829 Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:

anyone try it?
I me my MSM. I started taking it because of some discussion on The Thyroid Thread (I think) about sulfur foods or something... which made me think about the fact that I craved eating burnt match heads as a kid (yeah, gross I know)... I started taking it and couldn't believe the difference. My feet stopped hurting and a whole bunch of other things (the feet stopping hurting is big for me right now since my feet are killing me... I need to get back on my MSM, but I have other supps to add first).
I've never tried it for IC (I don't have it that I'm aware of).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#375 of 829 Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

anyone try it?
Interesting thread... That could possibly explain dd's pee issues... Though failsafe didn't help at all. Maybe I should get some the next time we're at the store and try it out.

#376 of 829 Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to update on the hairy tongue. Cause my oh my is it complicated

The patch that was white got better by dropping the NAC, but then moved and got worse. I definitely think it's cysteine related. I've also been experimenting with dropping my B vits and getting them from food. Yesterday was a tough day, dd seemed to be reacting, I had a tummyache, all around not fun. My theory was that the lack of B6 broke the sulfation pathway, which messed with hormone levels (sulfation detoxes steroid hormones). So yesterday I took all those individual B's again, and last night, low and behold, the tongue is super hairy Despite not taking the NAC at all.

B6 and magnesium make cysteine.

So now my issue isn't necessarily too much cysteine, it's too much demand for the cysteine in keratin formation. Possibly at the cost of coA and glutathione (though I've been sleeping really well, so *something* is working there). Other factors in keratin? I think, high blood calcium. What influences blood calcium? Vitamin D (raises it, I was taking a bunch, maybe I overshot) and vitamin A (inhibits D, I've just been doing butter, which also has D in it).

So on today's shopping list is liver as a vit A source without vit D. And possibly MSM, if I can find it, just for fun.

And on the to do is still to drink lots and lots of water.

#377 of 829 Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

Bumping so it doesn't get lost. I want to read this whole thing again. In my spare time.

Pat

I have a blog.
#378 of 829 Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Bumping so it doesn't get lost. I want to read this whole thing again. In my spare time.

Pat
You have spare time?
(seriously, where do you find spare time?!)

#379 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

An update...

keratin - I OD'd on the cysteine initially, and gave myself a hairy tongue. I've stopped it completely, and was just doing B5 again, but I was able to drop it down to just 2-3 caps instead of the 4-5 I needed before : And then the chocolate cravings came back : So I'm interpreting this as, I need more cysteine for the amount of B5 I'm taking. I can either supp cysteine directly, or supp magnesium to make my own. OR. I can free up the cysteine that is going useless paces (like my tongue) by lowering blood calcium with vit A, OR I can skip the whole process by eating more cholesterol. So now I'm on the lookout for foods high in cholesterol and vit A. I think it's time to find a good liver pate recipe...

BH4 - I'm having a lot of trouble keeping protein low, partly because I need to go and calculate what exactly I mean by low, but second, there are just so many habits and fallbacks I need to break, and get dh to break. Used to, if we didn't know what to do for dinner, we'd thaw a pound (or two) of ground beef, and mix in a few veggies. That's no good any more.

butter - I think dd reacts to it, slightly, if her stores are low. So if we eat a ton while not staying up on nutrients, she starts to react, or if we go to the indian buffet (!!) and decide to trial potatoes (!?!) and she reacts () then the butter becomes more of an issue. I, on the other hand, can't get enough of the stuff, and the people at trader joes are giving me funny looks. Today I went in and bought a case of kerrygold (20 sticks) plus 4 more, and nothing else

overall - I feel like every time I figure out a deficiency and fix it, I discover a new one. By the time I'm done with this process, and with converting the supps to foods, I'm going to be on a bonafide traditional foods diet (high in A, D, K2, minerals, fat, low in protein, moderate on carbs, eating lots of shellfish and organ meats). The problem right now is in keeping up with it all! It's like there's no room for slip-ups or laziness! I have a feeling routine is going to be my best friend, and variety will no longer be the spice of life. And then I wonder how this all ties in to my former foodie, variety seeking self.

#380 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
An update...

Today I went in and bought a case of kerrygold (20 sticks) plus 4 more, and nothing else

overall - I feel like every time I figure out a deficiency and fix it, I discover a new one. By the time I'm done with this process, and with converting the supps to foods, I'm going to be on a bonafide traditional foods diet (high in A, D, K2, minerals, fat, low in protein, moderate on carbs, eating lots of shellfish and organ meats). The problem right now is in keeping up with it all! It's like there's no room for slip-ups or laziness! I have a feeling routine is going to be my best friend, and variety will no longer be the spice of life. And then I wonder how this all ties in to my former foodie, variety seeking self.
Kerrygold butter A woman after my own heart..I just picked up 4 yesterday..Good to know you can buy it by the case!

I am figuring out the same thing you said! I was just taking about this with my husband yesterday. I have been into traditional foods for a few years but now I am really seeing the importance of going the extra mile with organ meats, ferments, proper prep of grains, food quality ect...Routine seriouly helps me as I get more into it.

Jen (JenniferS)

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#381 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I am figuring out the same thing you said! I was just taking about this with my husband yesterday. I have been into traditional foods for a few years but now I am really seeing the importance of going the extra mile with oergan meats, ferments, proper prep of grains, food quality ect...Routine seriouly helps me as I get more into it.

Jen (JenniferS)
Understanding the 'why' really helps, doesn't it?

Another update... I just got out the chocolate chips for dd and had a couple myself. They're back to tasting bad! I never used to like choocolate very much - like I'd half the chocolate chips in a batch of cookies, and refused to eat dark chocolate. Lately chocolate has been nummy. Today, yuck :

The difference is an extra mag supp last night, for a total of 400mg. But that's still a big deal, a few months ago I was taking 800mg and still wanted chocolate.

#382 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM

wait.. what? if chocolate tastes good, that means there's a magnesium deficiency? I bought a bag of chocolate chips awhile ago and I've been munching on them here and there.. I wouldn't say craving, but eating them because they're around and I'm always hungry... and they definitely taste good!
#383 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
wait.. what? if chocolate tastes good, that means there's a magnesium deficiency? I bought a bag of chocolate chips awhile ago and I've been munching on them here and there.. I wouldn't say craving, but eating them because they're around and I'm always hungry... and they definitely taste good!
chocolate cravings tend to correlate with magnesium deficiencies - cocoa is a rich source of magnesium. I grew up not liking chocolate much, but since dd was born, I've enjoyed it a lot more.

#384 of 829 Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM

hmm, interesting. for YEARS, almost everyday I had a kitkat and lemonade or cranberry juice. It was my daily treat.

When I got pregnant with dd1, the ONE thing that made me want to vomit, was chocolate. Even thinking about it could cause me to gag.
If I recall, during all my pregnancies, chocolate was no big deal to me.

Fast forward, 6 years later, and I really really really want a kitkat so bad I could literally cry.

I wonder if it's the prenatals. I was much more consistent with them while pregnant, but never any other time in my life.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#385 of 829 Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

So things are going pretty well with me. I'm focusing on figuring out what foods to eat. With this shift from meat to lentils/beans, I think I'm throwing my copper/zinc balance out of whack. I'm trying to fine tune how much protein to eat in a day. I switched from 50mg PLP to 100mg B6, and that was baaan.

Dd's doing pretty well, but I think I need to work extra hard on the folate for her to avoid constipation. I think lentils are better for us than black beans. Bedtime has been getting worse - I'm wondering if her adrenals are finally taking a hit and it's messing with her sleep/wake cycles. 9pm is her favorite playtime.

And here's my latest puzzle. Ever since she was little, when dd is having poop reactions, she's in a GREAT mood. Why on earth would that be?

#386 of 829 Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Just wondering ... how are you sleeping at night??
#387 of 829 Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl View Post
Just wondering ... how are you sleeping at night??
Hmm... My sleep... I could write a book! Actually, sleep would probably make a good thread on its own!

I've been sleeping well lately, and the nights that I haven't been able to fall back asleep, I can point to why. It's been a change in either B6 or Mg, and honey in the middle of the night (or last night, a sip of mag water) fixes. Which is amazing, because before this detox stuff, once I was up, I was up and no taking anything in the middle of the night would change it.

#388 of 829 Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
9pm is her favorite playtime.
I don't recall your dd's age; but somewhere around age 3, ds lost a nap, or else we'd be up really late.

Pat

I have a blog.
#389 of 829 Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I don't recall your dd's age; but somewhere around age 3, ds lost a nap, or else we'd be up really late.

Pat
She's 2y3m, and this isn't really a new thing... It's just particularly extreme right now. At least she's having fun, right?

good thought though!

#390 of 829 Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
9pm is her favorite playtime.
My DS gets a bit hyper just before bed too (9pm is his bed time.) He gets giggly and silly with us. When we leave his room we can hear him playing for a few minutes by himself before he is asleep.

We create our own reality.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page