detox pathway guinea pig - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 829 Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I think methionine is supposed to be a pretty common amino acid. So if you're getting enough protein, chances are you're getting enough methionine.
Which would point to needing more B vitamins for conversion of glutathione back into methionine...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 829 Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Which would point to needing more B vitamins for conversion of glutathione back into methionine...
right. but homocysteine into methionine, unless you've already gone full circle and have totally passed me?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#123 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
right. but homocysteine into methionine, unless you've already gone full circle and have totally passed me?
No, you're right, that's what I meant.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#124 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Our latest update:

Dd is back to watching videos, but not quite as bad as before. Poop is pretty good, considering how many foods we've brought back in the past week. Eczema on her face is pretty much gone : but it's our newest symptom, so it's not as big of a deal as it seems. Sleep is good, though bedtime is atrocious - but that's been the case her whole life.

But our latest breakthrough? She's telling us she needs to go potty *before* there's a wet spot. This has been our most frustrating symptom because 1) dh doesn't want to count it as a symptom and 2) it's soooooo sloooow to change. She'll have weeks on, then months of misses. It's part of why we tried failsafe in the first place. And now, magically, the first dd-initiated dry day since November

I think I'm in love with biochemistry and detox pathways.

#125 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sleep is good, though bedtime is atrocious - but that's been the case her whole life.
ok, as I wrote that, dd nursed to sleep in my lap, in the rocking chair, in the living room. I think she's done that like twice since she was a newborn. Course she also didn't have a nap today...

#126 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
And now, magically, the first dd-initiated dry day since November

I think I'm in love with biochemistry and detox pathways.
That's awesome! I love dry days. We did not have one today... (not surprising since DD slept horrible last night and was all tantrum-y today; she's definitely reacting to something)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#127 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 AM

My head is spinning. Is there a primer for this thread somewhere? We have food intolerances (gluten, maybe casein, though I'm not sure yet; we eliminated all dairy for six weeks and just brought it back. I see amped hyperactivity in ds#2, my most sensitive one, and I think it might be why I feel I crashed again immune wise and my recurring bladder infection came back, my yeast seems to be flaring up, and my evening "I feel like I'm getting a cold" is back : ). We have chemical intolerances (any and all artificial ingredients). I am very sensitive to caffeine, though I don't think chocolate affects me. What's interesting is that I have never noticed big differences in me when we eliminate things, but oh boy do I notice differences in my boys. The behavior is night and day. But, I would also love to end our sensitivities once and for all (I would love to no longer have to worry about food and what we eat).

So ... where do we even start? Dh and I are defnitely dealing with adrenal fatigue. I highly suspect hypothyroidism in me (have for years, but MD tests always were "fine"). I know my boys have underlying issues in terms of adrenal stuff.

I want to supplement them with b vitamins, but only my oldest can swallow pills. We are all getting back into our routines of cod liver oil (for omega 3's and D) and magnesium.

I need a step-by-step. What do we do?

ETA: Can I supplement with glutathione? Does it help? (I got confused above or on a different page about needing to supplement with something else to get to glutathione.) I have some in the cupboard.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#128 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm waiting for the cheat sheet too. I'm not with it enough to get through the denser material.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#129 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
.I highly suspect hypothyroidism in me (have for years, but MD tests always were "fine").

How many of us have heard that? That's what I was told too... Too bad they never tested thyroid antibodies or I might not be in as much of a mess as I am. :
Come join us on The Thyroid Thread, if you're not already there. There's also an Adrenal Fatigue thread, if you didn't know (I think I saw you at one of them, but I've been dreaming of MDC- among other weird things- lately).

#130 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My head is spinning. Is there a primer for this thread somewhere?

I need a step-by-step. What do we do?

ETA: Can I supplement with glutathione? Does it help? (I got confused above or on a different page about needing to supplement with something else to get to glutathione.) I have some in the cupboard.
I'm going to see if I can come up with some sort of a flow chart today. Dd's in a good mood :

glutathione straight up is usually broken down during digestions, but cysteine is typically the limiting factor on making it - so people suggest supp'ing cysteine instead of glutathione. (Hmm... if your digestion were messed up, maybe glutathione wouldn't get broken down, so might be helpful?) The other amino acids are glutamic acid and glycine, both of which should be in bone broth. In any case, the glutathione probably wouldn't hurt.

#131 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

How many of us have heard that? That's what I was told too... Too bad they never tested thyroid antibodies or I might not be in as much of a mess as I am. :
Come join us on The Thyroid Thread, if you're not already there. There's also an Adrenal Fatigue thread, if you didn't know (I think I saw you at one of them, but I've been dreaming of MDC- among other weird things- lately).
I'm on the adrenal thread; I didn't realize there was a thyroid one too. I'll have to subscribe. I'm thinking of testing my thyroid in late spring/early summer when we retest our adrenals to see if we are making *any* progress. For now, I'm thinking of getting some brazil nuts at the HFS and seeing if I like them.

Quote:
I'm going to see if I can come up with some sort of a flow chart today. Dd's in a good mood :

glutathione straight up is usually broken down during digestions, but cysteine is typically the limiting factor on making it - so people suggest supp'ing cysteine instead of glutathione. (Hmm... if your digestion were messed up, maybe glutathione wouldn't get broken down, so might be helpful?) The other amino acids are glutamic acid and glycine, both of which should be in bone broth. In any case, the glutathione probably wouldn't hurt.
I look forward to a flow chart! And YAY for children being in good moods! That is a biggie around here too.

I might add the glutathione into my regimine. I'm not thrilled about taking more stuff, but there you go. What's interesting is two years ago, we had our amino acids tested. I was super low in almost every single one (essential and essential derivatives). I supplemented with custom blended ones but honestly never saw much difference and so we stopped (it was costly for the supplementation plus for the additional testing that would need to be done periodically to reassess). But, except for Lysine (which I had been super supplementing prior to the test because I had cold sores at the time) and citrulline, I was in the 1st quintile on all (a couple were in the VERY low 2nd quintile). Yea, I was really not utilizing any of the food I was eating (which if you look at what you should be eating to naturally receive all the essential amino acids, I was eating it. We have had a diet high in dairy, eggs, meat/poultry for quite a while (as well as fruits/veggies). But for some reason, my body doesn't seem to utilize any of it. I still think I'm having those issues as I take a lot of supplements now (and overall, have a fairly healthy/whole food diet) and yet see very little results. I'm not sure what's up with me. I'm not heavy metal toxic (had that test done a year ago). But, my ASI test was very low on almost all levels. I would LOVE to figure out what is going on with me. Maybe it's time for the beet test. I've never eaten beats (I have juiced them only). How do you prepare beets so you can eat them to see if you have pink urine?

#132 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'm waiting for the cheat sheet too.
If one system (digesting proteins with HCl in the stomach) doesn't work, then the next system addresses the problem, if it is functioning. If the HCl is present with zinc and B1 and B6, then the proteins are digested!!

DO THE PINK PEE TEST!

If you don't have enough HCl, easy to address! This is a terrific diagram of chemical "Pathways to Happiness and Sleep" (Serotonin and Melatonin). http://www.understand-andcure-anxiet...Melatonin.html

Quote from 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride.

"Hypochlorhydria
People with abnormal gut flora almost without exception have low stomach acid production. Toxins produced by overgrowth of Candida species, Clostridia and other pathogens have a strong ability to reduce secretion of stomach acid.

What does it mean and why is it important?

The stomach is the place where protein digestion begins. Hydrochloric acid produced by the stomach walls activates pepsin, a protein-digesting enzyme, which starts breaking down the very complex structure of dietary proteins into peptides and amino acids. To do its work properly pepsin needs the pH of the stomach to be 3 or below. In Hypochlorhydria not enough acid is produced, so the pH in the stomach is not low enough for pepsin to do its job properly."

"As a result of low stomach acid production the whole process of protein digestion in the body goes wrong from the very beginning.
The maldigested protein then passes through to the small intestine. The intestinal wall and pancreatic enzymes, which accomplish further steps in the protein digestion, expect the protein to arrive from the stomach in a particular form in order to do their job properly. It is like a conveyer belt or an assembly line in a factory. If the first person does a poor job, then no matter how well the rest of the people in the line may work, the end product is likely to be of a poor quality. However, what happens in the body is even worse. The problem is that in the body 'the rest of the line' cannot work properly either, because it is regulated by the first person. This first person is the stomach acid."

A lack of stomach acid raises further and more serious implications. It is a barrier against harmful microbes from anything we put in our mouth. Without that protection, those pathogens can get through to the intestines and set up home. Once they are in there they can trigger symptoms in any part of the body. As Natasha continues...

Normally the stomach is the least populated area of the digestive system due to its extremely acid environment. However, in a person with Hypochlorhydria all sorts of pathogenic and opportunistic bacteria and fungi can grow on the stomach wall, such as Helicobacter Pylori, Campylobacter pylori, Enterobacteria, Candida, Salmonella, E.Coli, Streptococci, etc. The most research in this area has been done in stomach cancer patients, the majority of which show low levels of stomach acid production. Microbes, which populate low acid stomach play a very important role in causing stomach cancer, ulcers and gastritis.

Of course, most of these microbes love to eat carbohydrates, particularly the processed kind. The digestion of carbohydrates starts in the mouth with the action of saliva. When the food arrives in the stomach in the normal situation stomach acid stops this digestion. So, carbohydrates have to wait until they arrive in the duodenum to be digested. But in the stomach with low acidity overgrowing microbes start fermenting dietary carbohydrates, often with the production of various toxins and gas, which can make it very uncomfortable..... "
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/in...howtopic=53628

So, then with abnormal gut flora, and undigested proteins, you end up with Leaky Gut!

If you have functional detox pathways, the toxins get excreted through urine, stool, skin, and breastmilk.

From the "Health Benefits of Fermenting Foods":
"Ever since people have been eating food, they have been using these friendly critters to ferment at least some of them. From meat and milk to grains and vegetables, lacto-fermenting (or fermenting using lactic acid producing bacterium) has promoted thorough digestion and good health for centuries.

Fermenting a food increases it’s digestibility in several ways.
First it pre-digests the food making for less work for your body. Second it adds to its enzyme content. Third it adds lactic acid and lactic acid producing bacteria to the intestinal tract where they continue their digestive properties as well as controlling pathogens such as parasites and Candida albicans. They promote formation of B vitamins and enzymes in the intestines. They can neutralize cancer causing substances and protect you from their effects. The presence of lactic acid is vital to proper digestion, but in this day of antibiotics and fake foods, our own population of lactobacilli are often lacking."

Eat some sauerkraut! Drink some kefir!!

I have a blog.
#133 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Ok, so I'm buying some beets today (can you eat them raw? do you cook them? seriously, I have only ever juiced them). If I can figure out if they taste good, I might have the boys try too. They are usually up for a science experiment, and the idea of pink urine might make beets palatable to them! It makes a lot of sense since it seems that I'm having issues even utilizing the protein I eat (and I do my best to eat high quality forms).

We do love Bubbies sauerkraut; I also have made my own and will probably start again. I guess I just need to munch on some during the day instead of just serving it with a meal.

Pat, the kefir expert, I have a question. When we went dairy free, I put my kefir grains in the freezer. I have frozen them and revived them before; they seem very hardy (I've had them for 3-4 years). We just reintroduced dairy for the boys and I (and the jury is still out on whether we should be having it or not). I was thinking of making kefir again for my smoothies, but am not sure I want to buy raw milk for it (we used to have our milk delivered, but now I get it at the HFS and if we get there too late on Wednesdays (delivery day), there might not be any or just one half gallon). Is it okay to use organic pasteurized milk? Or what about using goat milk (pasteurized)?

#134 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Oh, and to add a question: which is better for liver detox/healing? Fresh lemon juice in water or raw apple cider vinegar in water? (I think my tastebuds do much better with ACV plus raw honey, but I could do lemon juice with raw honey if need be, though I need to stock up on organic lemons as we don't have a tree anymore.)

I have this phantom pain/discomfort in my lower right abdomen/right side/under the rib cage (it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is). My doctor of Oriental medicine thinks it might be an overproliferation of bad bacteria in the gut, but the more I'm reading here, I'm wondering if it is my liver (especially if my stomach isn't doing what its supposed to be doing and my gut is leaky).

#135 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Is there a primer for this thread somewhere?
There are many gut healing measures, detox alternatives, probiotics and nutritive foods which will help with chemical toxicity from foods which are related to "leaky gut".

Start here with the "Detox Obstacle Course: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...bstacle-course

And here with the "Nutrient Dense Foods": http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...nt-dense-foods

And here with the videos about Biochemistry of detox pathways: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/video/video

Then here, the threads linked at the top will help you to understand more about identifying your family's detox pathways: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1045391

And here: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...-gut-with-food

Pat

I have a blog.
#136 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Is it okay to use organic pasteurized milk? Or what about using goat milk (pasteurized)?
You can just juice the beets, or cook them, or eat them raw. Fermented beets, we've found, won't allow the Pink Pee test to report accurately.

You can use any animal milk with milk kefir grains. They would probably be healthier grains, if received new from someone. But, you about can't kill them, even with freezing. You'll get more benefits, I believe, from fresh kefir grains though.

Skim, whole, homogenized, pasteurized, non-organic, cow, goat, etc milk is fine. Basically, homemade kefir is best, raw is next priority, goat is next priority, IMO. But, commercial, pasteurized cow's milk kefir is better than no kefir.

Pat

I have a blog.
#137 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, and to add a question: which is better for liver detox/healing? Fresh lemon juice in water or raw apple cider vinegar in water? (I think my tastebuds do much better with ACV plus raw honey, but I could do lemon juice with raw honey if need be, though I need to stock up on organic lemons as we don't have a tree anymore.)

I have this phantom pain/discomfort in my lower right abdomen/right side/under the rib cage (it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is). My doctor of Oriental medicine thinks it might be an overproliferation of bad bacteria in the gut, but the more I'm reading here, I'm wondering if it is my liver (especially if my stomach isn't doing what its supposed to be doing and my gut is leaky).
My understanding is that lemon juice is better for alkalizing the body. The ACV actually acidifies (there is debate about this!), but the probiotics in raw ACV outweighs the acid issue.

Lemons are not high on the pesticide list. We buy non-organic and wash with the Veggie Wash. They are about 25% of the cost, when you buy in bulk.

If you add just a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 16 oz water, it isn't bitter, without honey, imo.

TMI: if your stool is pale brown, the pain in the side probably has to do with too little bile. Bile makes stool dark brown. JaneS is the Poop Police and knows more about this than I. Too little bile is some detox thing, I don't recall exactly. Had to do with excess estrogen too, iirc. Do you eat meat and eggs?

Pat

I have a blog.
#138 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks Pat! I've always been "pleased" with their performance (tend to kefir my milk within 12-18 hours depending on weather to a great consistency). I think I might try goat milk since then I can buy a 1/2 gallon of raw milk for the boys to drink during the week and I get a quart of goat milk to use for kefir.

#139 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
My understanding is that lemon juice is better for alkalizing the body. The ACV actually acidifies (there is debate about this!), but the probiotics in raw ACV outweighs the acid issue.

Lemons are not high on the pesticide list. We buy non-organic and wash with the Veggie Wash. They are about 25% of the cost, when you buy in bulk.

If you add just a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 16 oz water, it isn't bitter, without honey, imo.

TMI: if your stool is pale brown, the pain in the side probably has to do with too little bile. Bile makes stool dark brown. JaneS is the Poop Police and knows more about this than I. Too little bile is some detox thing, I don't recall exactly. Had to do with excess estrogen too, iirc. Do you eat meat and eggs?

Pat
Interestingly enough, my stool is pretty "healthy" looking; dark brown, usually pretty consistent (had constipation issues the first few weeks of going dairy free, I think, because of the lack of consistent probiotics).

I've thought about estrogen dominance; my ND said she would want to wait to test my hormones because with the adrenal issues, my hormones are probably out of whack anyway, and healing the adrenals *should* regulate my hormones. (Actually, before I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, I thought I was starting perimenopause. Now I realize the symptoms were all from adrenal issues.)

I just had a small glass of water, raw ACV, and raw honey. It was good. But I think I'll do lemon water from now on. We have some Meyer lemons we bought in bulk at Costco. I'll just start using them.

Oh, and thanks for the links above. More reading to do (though tonight I think I'll go to bed way before it hits midnight - being up too late, even when learning how to heal, is a bit counter-productive to health!).

#140 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Can I ask for how much of these various B vitamins should be taken? Here is what I'm currently taking in terms of B5, B6, B12 and folate:

B5 - 350 mg altogether (I'm getting it from 3 different supplements)

B6 - 105 mg altogether (This time from 5 different supplements, most all in the form of P5P)

B12 - 1700 mcg altogether (From 5 different supplements)

Folate - 3000 mcg altogether

Does that sound like a good amount? I'm also taking in the course of those supplements 250 mg of trimethylglycine. You'd think something would be working, wouldn't you?

Oh, I also supplement about 3000 IU of straight Vit. D plus another 3000 IU from cod liver oil. (Granted, I haven't been terribly consistent with the CLO, though I have vowed starting last night to take it every day.) Oh, and I probably take about 200 mg of magnesium citrate each day, plus another 250 mg from my multi. Maybe I should do two 200 mg of magnesium citrate each day? (And maybe I need to be much more consistent taking all of these things!

And ah shoot, I just realized that the above totals are based on if I take 8 of my multi a day rather than the 6 I usually take. Hmm ... maybe I need to take 8 instead?

#141 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Read the Detox obstacle course and watch the videos about Detox pathways. There are many more *essential* amino acids and nutrients to open the pathways properly. I'm not a fan of individual supplements. They are all interconnected and to do one without the others is both expensive and may be detrimental.

You didn't mention zinc, betaine, B1, vit C, Choline, molybdenum, taurine, Phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine, methionine, inositol, cysteine, calcium D-glucarate, tyrosine, Glutathione, glycine- Vitamin B-15, selenium, etc. which are many of the important amino acids and nutrients essential for the detox to function properly.

You can read more about each here: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...nt-dense-foods

Someone on another thread was just retelling how they increased vit A, only to find out that you need vit D also. And then about vit K and then about B-vitamins...

Pat

I have a blog.
#142 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MyLittleWonders, how did you test for heavy metals? I always have to ask, it's a rule or something. I always worry people will rule it out based on bloodwork.
#143 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Read the Detox obstacle course and watch the videos about Detox pathways. There are many more *essential* amino acids and nutrients to open the pathways properly. I'm not a fan of individual supplements. They are all interconnected and to do one without the others is both expensive and may be detrimental.

You didn't mention zinc, betaine, B1, vit C, Choline, molybdenum, taurine, Phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine, methionine, inositol, cysteine, calcium D-glucarate, tyrosine, Glutathione, glycine- Vitamin B-15, selenium, etc. which are many of the important amino acids and nutrients essential for the detox to function properly.

You can read more about each here: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...nt-dense-foods

Someone on another thread was just retelling how they increased vit A, only to find out that you need vit D also. And then about vit K and then about B-vitamins...

Pat
Oh, I hear you on all that Pat. I was just simply putting what I was taking in terms of those B's as that was part of what I was reading. I just was hoping to get a ballpark for what people are taking of those specifically. Most every else you listed, we are taking. The only one I'm completely unsure about is the phosphatydilcholine. That I have to check. I am a big believer in overall making sure you take what needs to be taken in conjunction with their co-factors. That is why we are big on cod liver oil, for instance, and prefer whole, raw milk if we drink it.

#144 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can I ask for how much of these various B vitamins should be taken? Here is what I'm currently taking in terms of B5, B6, B12 and folate:

B5 - 350 mg altogether (I'm getting it from 3 different supplements)

B6 - 105 mg altogether (This time from 5 different supplements, most all in the form of P5P)

B12 - 1700 mcg altogether (From 5 different supplements)

Folate - 3000 mcg altogether
That's a LOT of folate. 800mcg of the active form is the most I've ever seen recommended. If you have MTHFR mutations, folic acid will be a bad thing, and that much could do some serious damage. If your B6 is too high, it can inhibit sulfation. I'm a B5 junkie, so I like way more than that, but I don't think it's necessary once the detox stuff is working right. B12, I think 1000 mcg is a lot, but the form matters here. Are you getting methyl-B12 or hydroxy-B12, and is it sublingual?

#145 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM

It's hard to say with this stuff. I mean--my kids are each taking more B6 than that, I know it works with zinc (and I supp that too, and my son's still always borderline it seems)--you've got a lot going on (hypo, adrenal issues, etc). It's hard to second-guess what your HCP (did you get your supps from a HCP, or is it a collection you've put together) is doing.
#146 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 PM

She has given them to me, though I'm not sure if we ever sat together and added it all up (it looked very high when I typed all that out). Currently the folate and B12 are a bit lower as we ran out of the B12/folate supplement we were taking. Without that, the folate goes down to 2200 and the B12 goes down to 1200. Other than that, though, they are all grouped in multi-supplement supplements.

An option would be to take the B-complex, supplement a bit of each if needed, and take the other items in the multi-supplement things separately (like 5HTP, trimethylglycine, SAMe, etc.). I don't want to take too much as I know that can be at least as bad if not worse than not enough. That is why I posted the question because I was curious what levels would be good/therapeutic without causing any possible harm.

So, if I were to start from scratch, and speaking only of the B's right now, where is a good level to aim for in terms of B5, B6, B12 and folate? Oh, and aside from getting the B6 as P5P, what forms should I aim to take?

#147 of 829 Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So, if I were to start from scratch, and speaking only of the B's right now, where is a good level to aim for in terms of B5, B6, B12 and folate? Oh, and aside from getting the B6 as P5P, what forms should I aim to take?
I can tell you what I'm doing that's working for me, with the caveat that I haven't tried reducing anything yet with the detox stuff, and that obviously, my needs are probably completely different than yours. And that this is tweaked a bit, but there are a lot of guesses and assumptions mixed in.

B1 - 100mg
B2 - 20mg (you can't absorb more than this much per day, so anything more is wasted)
B3 - 50mg
B5 - 2000mg (that's a TON, taken apart from everything else)
B6 - 50mg PLP (more than 100mg can cause sulfate issues in some people)
biotin - 5mg
folate - ~600-800mcg from foods (my latest increase)
B12 - 1000mcg every other day or so (but I don't think I need this much)

#148 of 829 Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I can tell you what I'm doing that's working for me, with the caveat that I haven't tried reducing anything yet with the detox stuff, and that obviously, my needs are probably completely different than yours. And that this is tweaked a bit, but there are a lot of guesses and assumptions mixed in.

B1 - 100mg
B2 - 20mg (you can't absorb more than this much per day, so anything more is wasted)
B3 - 50mg
B5 - 2000mg (that's a TON, taken apart from everything else)
B6 - 50mg PLP (more than 100mg can cause sulfate issues in some people)
biotin - 5mg
folate - ~600-800mcg from foods (my latest increase)
B12 - 1000mcg every other day or so (but I don't think I need this much)
Thank you! I'm going to see what I would be getting if I only did a B-complex and my multi (which I found a new one that I'm trying that is whole food based). The combo things I'm taking that are either B6 or B12/folate plus things like 5-HTP can be taken as separate pieces if I'm getting enough of the B's through just the multi and B-complex.

#149 of 829 Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
(which I found a new one that I'm trying that is whole food based).

Please share.

Pat

I have a blog.
#150 of 829 Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 AM

re: histamine and painting various foods on our skin to watch for reddening....

I just finished wiping off raw egg white and strawberries (frozen, not cooked) from my skin and my husband's. I may be showing a very light patch of red under part of the egg whites, and it took a while, but I'm realizing that the whole area under the egg whites is somewhat reddish for my husband. Now I need to figure out / decide if that's a histamine reaction or an actual food intolerance reaction (I've wondered if he might have a long list of food intolerances, I think his gut is leaky and imbalanced and all sorts of stuff). Maybe I need to buy a tomato to check the histamine thing--or do you think the strawberry was enough? Neither of us showed any red with that (after I wiped off the juice).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page