detox pathway guinea pig - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Pasteurized dairy and high salicylate loading is associated with pee misses here. Interestingly, ds has been eating many more fruits high in salicylates without an issue, with more zinc and magnesium intake.

Pat
Do you think the increase in zinc and magnesium might be helping? I want to get back to making sure the boys have magnesium and clo each night before bed. They aren't low in zinc that I know (actually, when we heavy metal tested, they were on the higher end of zinc).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Pasteurized dairy and high salicylate loading is associated with pee misses here. Interestingly, ds has been eating many more fruits high in salicylates without an issue, with more zinc and magnesium intake.
So what pathway is zinc and magnesium?

This was pasteurized butter (kerrygold) so I'm still going to hold out hope for raw goat kefir!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Answering my own question...

I think zinc and magnesium are both indicated with glutamate/GABA imbalance. Does that ring true for you? Can that cause pee issues?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

I remembered that I'd been putting a pinch of Epsom salt in his water last week, when he ate a bunch of strawberries and blueberries. And I added pumpkin seeds to cookies I made. We'd run out of Natural Calm for quite a while. So, it could be the magnesium, zinc, or sulfate. Or the combination. But, the delta, with all of the salicylates was significant. Oh, and he ate a bunch of spinach salads...

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
so I'm still going to hold out hope for raw goat kefir!
:

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I remembered that I'd been putting a pinch of Epsom salt in his water last week, when he ate a bunch of strawberries and blueberries. And I added pumpkin seeds to cookies I made. We'd run out of Natural Calm for quite a while. So, it could be the magnesium, zinc, or sulfate. Or the combination. But, the delta, with all of the salicylates was significant. Oh, and he ate a bunch of spinach salads...

Pat
Is it okay to drink water with Epsom salts? I always thought those were for bathing/soaking and other forms of magnesium were for drinking. I'm confused. (Which seems to be an easy state to reach lately! )

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Is it okay to drink water with Epsom salts? I always thought those were for bathing/soaking and other forms of magnesium were for drinking. I'm confused. (Which seems to be an easy state to reach lately! )
Depends on who you ask. I add it to my water and to my son's water. You CAN get too much and it could be fatal. I add a small pinch to his water, a bigger pinch to my water. Less than 1/4 tsp, a couple of times a day.

Soaking in Epsom salts, perhaps, has more benefits. But, is not as doable for us on a daily basis.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM

so what does adding the epsom salts to water do? increase mag levels?

K is not into taking daily baths- or weekly baths sometimes!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
so what does adding the epsom salts to water do? increase mag levels?

K is not into taking daily baths- or weekly baths sometimes!
Provides magnesium and sulfate. Sulfate is important to one of the detox pathways. Do not give a child more than 1/8 tsp, twice a day though, imo. And not alongside calcium food or supplement.

Read the back of the package for dosing instructions. It is available at any pharmacy.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM

thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM

I have been lurking here for a while without posting. Right now I am completely confused. I think I missed something somewhere in the beginning. Whome, am I understanding it right that you are giving your dd the foods that she is craving, trusting that her body knows what she needs?
If this is right, does that mean that cravings could be indicative of what detox pathways are off?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I have been lurking here for a while without posting. Right now I am completely confused. I think I missed something somewhere in the beginning. Whome, am I understanding it right that you are giving your dd the foods that she is craving, trusting that her body knows what she needs?
If this is right, does that mean that cravings could be indicative of what detox pathways are off?
I'm looking at her personality and the foods she loves and will eat tons of, and interpreting that to try to figure out how her detox pathways work. So yeah, I think that cravings can tell us what our bodies need. HOWEVER, she's the best eater I've ever seen. I was trying to think of a food that she didn't like this afternoon, and all I could come up with was 'spicy sauce.' She's never eaten gluten directly, ghee and the occasional butter trial are the only dairy, and while she loves the *idea* of cupcakes, she doesn't actually eat them. I think she's special. I think that it's easy for things to cloud the interpretation of cravings - like carb cravings could mean gluten sensitivity or high cortisol or low serotonin or all sorts of things besides 'carbs are good for me.'

I do think that chocolate cravings mean you need more magnesium, though.

ETA: My guesses based on her foods totally match dh's symptoms, so that's helping my confidence, too.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at her personality and the foods she loves and will eat tons of, and interpreting that to try to figure out how her detox pathways work. So yeah, I think that cravings can tell us what our bodies need. HOWEVER, she's the best eater I've ever seen. I was trying to think of a food that she didn't like this afternoon, and all I could come up with was 'spicy sauce.' She's never eaten gluten directly, ghee and the occasional butter trial are the only dairy, and while she loves the *idea* of cupcakes, she doesn't actually eat them. I think she's special. I think that it's easy for things to cloud the interpretation of cravings - like carb cravings could mean gluten sensitivity or high cortisol or low serotonin or all sorts of things besides 'carbs are good for me.'

I do think that chocolate cravings mean you need more magnesium, though.

ETA: My guesses based on her foods totally match dh's symptoms, so that's helping my confidence, too.
Thanks!
Is there an easy way to figure out what personality says about detox pathways, like a list or something? We are traveling right now and will be for almost another month, so I don't have hardly any time to get on the computer, but would like to start looking into this more
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Thanks!
Is there an easy way to figure out what personality says about detox pathways, like a list or something? We are traveling right now and will be for almost another month, so I don't have hardly any time to get on the computer, but would like to start looking into this more
I'm not supposed to be on the computer right now, but...

www.eatingcultures.com/tikiwiki-2.2 is my best link so far (I wrote it)

Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Our latest can't-get-enough food is tomatoes.

I think there's a connection here, but I don't know what it is. I love tomatoes. My sister never liked them growing up and I thought she was weird. My aunt has never in her life liked them. And I have friends that are fanatical about them. It seems really reminiscent of chocolate cravings/aversions.

What's the tomato connection? Any guesses?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM

I would love to know the tomato connection too. Tomato products are the ONE and only food intolerance that I had prior to pregnancy. Although I can eat raw tomatoes- just not cooked/concentrated. My cousin has the same issues with tomatoes. weird.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM

I don't know about tomatoes, but it's another split between DH and I.

Me: LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate, tomatoes, garlic, fish & seafood. My sweet tooth is always up for dessert. Caffeine makes me jittery and feeling manic after only one strong cup.

DH: prefers fruit flavors over chocolate; tomatoes tolerated only in marinara; can't deal with too much garlic; HAAATES fish & seafood - like gags on it. Also doesn't have a sweet tooth but is a salt hound. Caffeine doesn't affect him, can drink it before bed.

I wonder if it's truly just "taste preferences" or if it goes deeper to biochemical processing/nutritional needs. I vote for the latter.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I saw you posting and I was going to say...
Aren't you supposed to be visiting or studying or something?
Although it's nice to know you just can't get enough of us.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Thank you! I started looking at it and what I have read in the threads make a bit more sense now. And it feels possible to figure this out. You're great!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

We ate butter (instead of ghee) again today. We both had quite a bit with breakfast. It would appear that dd's reaction to butter is to skip her nap. But she doesn't get cranky, she stays in a cute/good mood, and she goes to sleep early without a fuss. Normal bedtime starts around 8 or 9, and takes about an hour, start to asleep and involves about 4 wet diapers/trips to the bathroom. Tonight, she nursed to sleep in my lap downstairs again. At 6:30.

So is butter a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
We ate butter (instead of ghee) again today. We both had quite a bit with breakfast. It would appear that dd's reaction to butter is to skip her nap. But she doesn't get cranky, she stays in a cute/good mood, and she goes to sleep early without a fuss. Normal bedtime starts around 8 or 9, and takes about an hour, start to asleep and involves about 4 wet diapers/trips to the bathroom. Tonight, she nursed to sleep in my lap downstairs again. At 6:30.

So is butter a good thing or a bad thing?
I read that and had the exact same thought. What time does she wake up at?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 AM

i think it can be hard to tell. what else has been going on food/emotional/physically?

i mean... tonight, lily's kind of being weird and wiggly in her sleep. making her random "squeals" (sign of a mild rxn). i was going to try bean sprouts today but didn't make it to the store before company came. if we had tried bean sprouts, would i be attributing her behavior now to them, when it was something else? was it the non-local/free range, but amish chicken from the regular grocery store (77 cents/lb; couldn't pass up)? was it the fact that we've had peanuts and chocolate every day for a few days (amine build up? -- i'm guessing yes, here)? was it the chinese herbs we started up again this morning?

do you see what i mean?

unless you have a(nother) reason to suspect otherwise, i would keep it in, but not every day... rotate it and keep a food journal and see if there are correlations. although, we all know that dairy (and gluten) are the foods that linger, so i don't know how much space to put between "rotations" to yield a clear result.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

she wakes up pretty consistently sometime in the 8 o'clock hour. late nights will be closer to 9, and sometimes she'll be up as early as 7:30...

Thing is, this is our 3rd-ish trial of butter recently, and it seems to be the theme. I think it's telling me it's time to trial goat milk kefir.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

if that is the only "side effect" of butter, perhaps she is getting nutrients that give her body extra energy and vitality, thereby not needing a nap? i've forgotten the age of your dd so maybe that is crazy talk coming out of my mouth, but just a thought. :P
Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM

How old is she? Is she old enough to not nap? Maybe that's what she should be doing in reality but the rxns were causing poor sleep & the need for a nap?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

She's a young 2yo. 26mo. She's always been a great napper, despite the fact that *all* naps are on me, even still. Her nighttime sleep isn't that great, but lately it's been doing a lot better (including last night. She woke up at 7:30 this AM, saying "I want a cracker!")

Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Who wants to figure this out for me? I'm having a low day, though not bad at all, considering where I've been in the past year. I'm stuck on trying to figure out the pantothenic acid thing, and I got my biochem textbook, but I can't focus on what I'm reading/how it connects/what my original question was long enough to put it together

And then I get mad that there's nobody who can help me on all this. Who do I turn to? And then I get motivated to figure it out so *I* can be that person for other people...

But yeah. Why do I need so much pantothenic acid?

And who wants to hold my hand?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
But yeah. Why do I need so much pantothenic acid?

And who wants to hold my hand?
To make cholesterol, maybe?
Pantothenic acid = B5, right?
I'll hold your hand, but I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...ntothenic-acid

yeah, pantothenic acid=B5, and basically, is a precursor to coenzyme A

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 AM

Are you taking something else that might be increasing your need for B5?

We create our own reality.

User Tag List