Cradle cap, dry forehead - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have heard that cradle cap and eczema can be linked to food allergies.

Here's is my situation:
DS started getting very mild cradle cap on the top of his head and a little on the sides a couple weeks ago(he is 13 weeks old) and his forehead is rough like sandpaper, a little flaky and occassionally red. I do not use soap on him and only bathe maybe 2x/week. I have put Mother's Special Blend on his head and gently exfoliate with a fingernail brush. And it stays clear for a couple of days. I put jojoba and lanolin on his forehead to soften and keep hydrated, but doesn't totally work that well. He is ebf. Could this be allergies? If so, should I try an elimination diet?

Can eczema be hereditary? DH has very dry patches on his face that he treats with some kind of prescription cream that his derm. gave him. DH does not have any food allergies, he is mildly allergic to grass. His sister is allergic to tree nuts. Now, I am starting to wonder if DH has a food allergy or a sensitivity. Any thoughts?

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#2 of 9 Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that when he was about 1 week old, he had diaper rash with small red dots of blood near his anus. It cleared up once he stopped pooping so much.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#3 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Bumping to the top.
I'd suggest a food journal and possibly ED. I'd probably start with dairy, though some would say gluten.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I heard it takes 3-4 weeks for dairy to be out of your system. What about gluten?

#5 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM

when I cut gluten I noticed a difference within a day or so, and seemed "better" within 5 days or so...but that was just me. Not real sure what the norm is, I'm sure someone can give you a more difinative answer! Be encouraged though...G/DF really isn't that hard once you get used to it, and totally worth it!
#6 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM

While you may see improvements within a few days (think pp said 5) when removing gluten, I believe that the general consensus is about 3 months for gluten to fully leave the system.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
While you may see improvements within a few days (think pp said 5) when removing gluten, I believe that the general consensus is about 3 months for gluten to fully leave the system.
Haha...that is why I said "better" I am still not better...oh the fun of food trials!
#8 of 9 Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2be View Post
Haha...that is why I said "better" I am still not better...oh the fun of food trials!
I understood. Just making sure the op did.

#9 of 9 Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke with my dd's Waldorf K teacher this morning about this and she suggested taking Omega 3's. Which I was doing right after birth then unintentionally stopped. I started taking them again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page