3-wk-old losing weight... dr took us off the breast. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
In need of advice/ideas/encouragement/success stories...

My 3-week-old LO had been having weird green poo and had been irritable, but when I called the dr's office and got her sub (she was out of town) they told me not to worry. (IOW - got the brush-ff) Today, though, we went in for his regular checkup and found that he has continued to lose weight since birth. Birth weight was 8lb11oz, and now he's down to 7lb 5oz.

I am just sick to death knowing that he has lost this much weight. Dr says that she thinks he's been getting enough breastmilk, since he's been having 5-6 wet diapers a day and he's not showing any signs of dehydration, but that he hasn't been able to get nutrition for some reason.

Dr told me to stop nursing him for 2 days and give him Nutramigen formula, while pumping and storing "in the hope that we can get him back on the breast." She's coming into her office on Sat so we can get another weight check and see how he's doing at that point.

I went to the appt thinking that perhaps he has a milk sensitivity, since it kind of runs in the family and I had actually eliminated dairy from my diet with DD and it really helped with her irritability, but I didn't expect this drastic weight loss. That couldn't be just an allergy, right?

Anyone had a similar experience? Right now I have no idea what is causing this, and I'm worried sick. I'm posting this in both the breastfeeding and allergies forums in hopes that someone will be able to identify with my story and give me some clues.

Thanks for listening.
#2 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 PM

That's so extreme and quite a jump to conclusions on the part of your doctor, honestly.

Are the 5-6 diapers sopping wet? What are his poops like? Is having them regularly and with most feeds? Have you had an LC evaluate his suck? It would be very useful to meet with an LC to do a weight check before and after a feeding to make sure he's transferring milk properly. Is this a first baby?

I would go to the breastfeeding forums on here and post this question. Those ladies know their stuff and can point you toward an LC in your area. I'm sorry your baby's not gaining weight. We had a very rough start due to a traumatic labor and my baby was losing weight for 2 1/2 wks. It's scary and demands immediate attention, but I don't think weaning is the way to go.

Yes, allergies can cause weight gain problems, but I've never heard of them happening to a baby so young. Good luck, mama.
#3 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Looking at that weight drop, that's not sooo bad. I mean, it's not good, but most babies lose weight at first and regain it by one week old.
#4 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM

i would NOT stop breastfeeding. breastmilk i so much better than formula. i would eliminate dairy and soy from your diet though, and give it a full two weeks to see results. good luck mama, check out the breastfeeding forums here.

DS 5-11-06
#5 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM

Not a similar experience with the weight loss but I was also pushed to supplement early on and I really think it screwed things up for DS even worse. I would not stop BFing either, it makes no sense to me, but I am no dr.
Could you try and eliminate dairy/soy? Maybe its just passing thru him too fast. My DS did not have weight loss but he was pooping a lot, a real lot when he was having his reactions. I'm surprised he did not lose weight. Stopping the BFing just makes no sense. I'd ask some more questions as to why?
#6 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, everyone...

This is not a first baby, this is my 3rd, and the other 2 were EBF, so I know my breasts "know what to do!" The thing is that at 5 days old he was at 7 lb 13 oz, and now at 3 weeks old he's at 7 lb 5 oz... we haven't seen any positive numbers on the scale yet.

I have eliminated dairy, but only 3 days ago, so we'll see what effect that has. In reading more around here I think I'll get rid of soy as well.

Tomorrow I'll get on the phone with the local LC and see if I can get some more answers...
#7 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM

Not a lot of time to post, so I'm sorry if I seem short.

At this point, green poo would say to me a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Getting too much foremilk. If you google it (or check kellymom), you can decide if this might be affecting you. A quick solution might be to pump first, then let the infant nurse so s/he gets the hindmilk.

My best memory is that foremilk is high in sugars, but not fats, and that it will be rapidly digested, resulting in possibly fussy baby (discomfort) and green diapers.

Giving up dairy probably won't hurt; might help. But I'd start with fore-hind imbalance.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM

It doesn't sound like an allergy from anything I've really ever seen or heard, not that I'm an expert. I hope you're getting a lot of answers in the breastfeeding forum. Dairy, soy, and maybe gluten would be the top allergens to consider though if you're eliminating. I guess it's worth a shot. Make sure you're eating well despite the stress.

I would get a new Dr. right away. Also, see an LC as was recommended.

And this is a total guess, I don't know if it's ever done, but if you've been pumping and storing, can you take the fat off the top of the refrigerated milk and try to feed more concentrated, fatty milk?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#9 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Not a lot of time to post, so I'm sorry if I seem short.

At this point, green poo would say to me a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Getting too much foremilk. If you google it (or check kellymom), you can decide if this might be affecting you. A quick solution might be to pump first, then let the infant nurse so s/he gets the hindmilk.

My best memory is that foremilk is high in sugars, but not fats, and that it will be rapidly digested, resulting in possibly fussy baby (discomfort) and green diapers.

Giving up dairy probably won't hurt; might help. But I'd start with fore-hind imbalance.

YES, YES, YES!!!

THERE IS NO REASON TO TAKE THE BABY FROM THE BREAST. oops, sorry, caps off now heehee

if you felt the need to supp, just add formula to a SNS and keep LO on the breast. doctors...:

please try pumping til letdown before letting LO latch on. i bet it turns right around!

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Northwoodsmom, how's it going?
#11 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Bump!

Just wanted to see how it was going.

my LO has issues with gluten and was vary cranky and had poor weight gain.

I 2nd the supplemental nursing system , you should be able to get a finger feeder at an lactation consultants and use it the same way on your breast.

Hope all is going well!
#12 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM

Are you sure about the scale's accuracy? Obviously you'd expect gaining at this stage, but it might be that the scale is way off too.

Hope that you can get back to the breast if that is what's best for baby.

I'm about to eliminate dairy too. DS had good weight gain the first few weeks, but now the poops are getting bad and he's fussing at the breast and such.....
#13 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 AM

keep in mind he may be below what he should be, but if you didnt weight him between 5 days and 3 weeks, what if he dropped lower after 5 days and is now actually gaining but you dont have a lowest point to judge it from?

Everything else I was going to say re foremilk/hindmilk and skimming fat from pumped has already been said. Hope things work out
#14 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM

could celiac effect someone that young, in terms of malabsorption? and through breastmilk? Just a question for celiacs out there, since I'm not any sort of expert on it. Just something else to look at.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#15 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Hope your little one is well. I agree with PP who mentioned foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can cause the greenish stools, and the foremilk does not have the same nutrient-dense fats as the hindmilk. It's possible you have overactive letdown which can cause similar symptoms, although with two previous kids that's less likely...it sounds like you are pretty confident with your BF skills.

I did have an allergic infant, and we saw green stools and a raw, irritated peri-rectal rash associated with my consumption of allergens. I took the dramatic step of a total elimination diet (living on baked chicken, brown rice, and steamed veggies for several weeks, then slowly re-introducing foods one at a time) and his symptoms disappeared within a couple of days. Dairy takes 1-2 weeks to fully clear your system, most other allergens clear much faster. DS turned out to have celiac disease, although not diagnosed until he weaned and the symptoms fully manifested.

It would be very premature to recommend weaning, based on the information you have shared here.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page