Vitamin K2 protocol or methylation cycle (or both)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm struggling to understand the methylation stuff because it all falls out of my head rather quickly and I don't have the information to connect it all. That actually ties in to my question though. I'm low in vitamin D and I'm supplementing with D3. I'm also low in zinc. My DS and I have trouble with oxalates. I'm thinking I should be doing the K2 protocol (at least parts of it) before I start messing with figuring out what part of my methylation is off since my D is low. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm so hopeful and overwhelmed that I'm not even sure where to begin...

Has anyone here done the K2 protocol for reasons other than a spectrum disorder?

<>< Alison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Not sure what K2 protocol is... but we supp with Thorne liquid K2, because its the WAPF X-factor and my daughter has horrid tooth enamel.

ETA: we also do Pure Encapsulations liquid D3 and WaterOz liquid zinc.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Are you talking about the K2 yahoo group run by Susan ------?

Her protocol calls for very high amounts of K2. I would be wary of this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

That being said, DS and I also have an oxalate problem. We supplement with vitamins A & D, K2 (im pregnant right now so I only take the RDA). VSL 3 (probiotics) is immensely helpful in breaking down oxalates. We stay away from high oxalate foods (chocolate, spinach.)

Epsom salt baths help break down oxalates also.

We create our own reality.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've lurked for a long time on the vitamin k yahoo group, but we don't have oxalate issues, I just needed to learn more about K2 because we've got odd issues with K and D. I'd guess that some parts would be very helpful regardless of whether you do the whole thing, like VSL#3 for bacteria that break down oxalates. I'm less worried about the high amounts of K2, but I guess that's because that's the part that we need. It seems pretty involved to get all of the protocol up and running, and it seems like you could work on methylation at the same time--went back to re-read and yeah, getting your D up first seems better.

Sorry I can't really help, but you could probably ask on the list whether people have seen incremental improvement (or people less affected by oxalates) with just partial implementation. Don't know if you've posted there, I have a couple times, and my questions have been even less on-topic (still vitamin k related, but not oxalates at all).
Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hesitant to ask questions there because I haven't slogged through all of the info over there yet. I'm weird like that. I think I might just try the K2. We're taking Kirkman's Pro Bio which apparently breaks down the oxalates as well, so I'll just switch it to after meals. Then I can move onto the methylation cycle...:

<>< Alison
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 AM

Are you already doing CLO? K2 works in conjunction with other fat soluble vitamins.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I take a tsp of fermented CLO a day, but my D level was STILL only 27. That's why I think I need the K2.

<>< Alison
Old 02-21-2009, 01:01 AM

You might mainly need more D. I think it's possible, and maybe likely, to be more D deficient than A deficient and need more D than you're getting from CLO. That's my plan, though I'm still at the beginning, so I can't say whether it's going to actually work or not.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 AM

I agree with TL, have you tried higher doses of D3? It is also possible that you are not absorbing the D3 from the fish oil. You could try a different D3 such as Dr.Weil, or there is a twinlabs D3+K2(a small amount compared to the thorne K2)

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also taking 20,000 IUs of Biotics D3 once a week. I haven't been retested since I've started doing that.

<>< Alison
Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM

I think it's possible that taking some K2 will help with D absorption, I actually need to fiddle around with K2 in order to not get some odd dry skin and bruising when I take CLO, and I'm just starting to take D3 separately, so I think it all fits together, it just needs some experimentation.

User Tag List