The anti-allergenic properties of milk kefir - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oral administration of milk kefir and soymilk kefir for 28 days significantly increased the fecal populations of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli, while it significantly decreased those of Clostridium perfringens.

Milk kefir and soymilk kefir also significantly decreased the serum OVA-specific IgE and IgG1 levels for both groups, but not those of the IgG2a analogues. Consumption of milk kefir and soymilk kefir suppressed the IgE and IgG1 responses and altered the intestinal microflora in our supplemented group, suggesting that milk kefir and soymilk kefir may be considered among the more promising food components in terms of preventing food allergy and enhancement of mucosal resistance to gastrointestinal pathogen infection.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...90958/abstract

Research published by the Society of Chemical Industry reports kefir contains bacteria which could help reduce allergic responses. The research indicated that feeding babies kefir may help to protect against some food allergies.
http://stanford.wellsphere.com/diges...lergies/370766

Pat- the kefir advocacy foundation.

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 PM

What do you think of giving it to a baby or toddler who is already allergic or sensitive to dairy?
#3 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
What do you think of giving it to a baby or toddler who is already allergic or sensitive to dairy?
I wouldn't give it to anyone with an IgE allergy, or with sudden rash, or vomiting as the symptom.

But, I'd have given homemade RAW goat's milk kefir to my son, if I had known then, what I know now. He was "dairy intolerant" and we avoided all dairy until about age four.

With an "intolerance" to commercial pasteurized dairy, of green mucusy stool, not bloody, I'd consider commercial, pasteurized goat's milk kefir. But, I wouldn't do commercial pasteurized cow's milk kefir, personally. The casein is A1 which is more allergenic than goat's milk casein.

I'd do homemade raw gurnsey cow's milk kefir, maybe. But, I'd MUCH rather homemade, raw goat's milk kefir! And probably even try homemade, pasteurized cow or goat's milk kefir.

Basically, homemade is best, raw is next priority, goat is next priority, IMO.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
How about raw coconut cream kefir?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
How about raw coconut cream kefir?

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 41 Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM

thank you for posting this, it makes me feel good to read something like this! sometimes i worry that im doing the wrong thing giving her the gm kefir, but i know in my heart she is much better with it than without! it def helps her stool without a shadow of a doubt.
#7 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Pat- the kefir advocacy foundation.
You and your kefir...

You know, I gave DD a sip of my water kefir (made with honey) the other day, and now she won't stop yelling until I give her some when she sees the bottle. She loves it!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#8 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Such cool info Pat

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#9 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 AM

I really need to make some damn kefir already!
Once I get over the unknown I'm sure we'll have it all the time.
Great info, oh queen of kefir promotion.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#10 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pat, you are an excellent kefir-pusher. And it's making me think that a goat's milk kefir could be good for my daughter. I don't think my son or I could do it, but her gut is a lot more sensitive than ours, maybe I need to think about adding this in somehow for her. I think we needed to all be dairy-free for a while, but it's been a year and a half and hey, sometimes the next good thing just jumps out at me.

Quick question--flavor-wise, how is it? I've never had kefir, neither has my daughter, and I don't know what to expect. She drank goat's milk (from powder) without issue a couple years ago, and she used to eat store-bought yogurt (with sweeteners, I was slowly transitioning to plain with fruit when we cut out dairy), so how will that first sip of kefir go?
#11 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 AM

the one that i get (redwood hills farms plain goat milk kefir - no other ingredients) is pretty good. its got that strong kinda goat-cheesey mixed with yogurt flavor, but i blend it with a banana and dd likes to drink it with a straw. she needed a little while to get used to it, but the banana def helps!
#12 of 41 Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

My husband makes faces about drinking the kefir. The water kefir is yummy, imo. Dh says 'it is ok'. But, you only need 1 Tbls to get *significant* benefits from the homemade kefir. The store bought kefir has many fewer beneficial probiotics. Definitely easy and worth it though!!

Did you see the "Got Kefir?" thread? It has a bunch of recipes. However, all the recipes which cook the kefir, kills the probiotic benefits. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282

I also just put a tablespoon of kefir into ds's rice milk, when he has that on cereal or drinks it.

You can make some juice/kefir popsicles too. Any no-bake recipe for cookies or goodies can have a tablespoon of kefir added. Or to frosting, if you do a topping.

Those chocolate coconut balls with the coconut oil, rolled in chocolate are fabulous too. And you can just add a bit of kefir to the mix.

Ds won't drink it straight. I make a chocolate milkshake with almonds, kefir and raw milk for dh and me. But, coconut milk will work as well, with or without the nuts.

Add the kefir and some maple syrup to already prepared oatmeal. Or make a coconut syrup for pancakes with coconut milk kefir.

You can do the same without coconut milk, just use whatever "milk" you use. Or make juice kefir.

I make grape juice kefir with a portion of my milk kefir grains. That is simple. I just put the grains in 100% grape juice and it ferments for 24 hours. It is delicous. Ds drinks that straight or diluted with some juice/water. It isn't tart, it is not sweet. Adding a bit of juice sweetens it. But, I still dilute it a bit with water.

Same with smoothies, add a bit of juice kefir. Freeze the excess for popsicles.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 41 Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

My favorite subject. :

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 41 Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Kefir in every cupboard!

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Ok, so what I need to make coconut milk kefir?

My daughter is allergic (hives) to dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, nuts and sesame. She is almost 3.

Can I get dairy free kefir starter?

Then how do I make it? Please? I would love to make it for her (and the rest of us).

Thanks,
Leela

Quote:

Pat
#16 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM

What the heck is water kefir anyway? I've had regular milk kefir a few times when I was a kid, but I've never seen water kefir.
#17 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Leela, I don't know, but I betcha Pat does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
What the heck is water kefir anyway? I've had regular milk kefir a few times when I was a kid, but I've never seen water kefir.
You need water kefir grains (mostly you buy those, they're slightly different than milk kefir grains, and they'll keep growing in a sugar-water solution, whereas the milk kefir grains will live for a while but stop growing, and maybe eventually die), and water, and a type of sugar (people use different types, some plain white, some rapadura-type stuff, along those lines, honey is questionable given its anti-bacterial properties), and then optional fruit flavorings.

To me, it seemed like there was some sugar remaining, but much of it is consumed by the bacteria. Some people add flavorings (lemon wedges and dried figs are popular) right away, some add them after the grains have been strained out.
#18 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Water kefir is dairy-free.

To make coconut water kefir. Take coconut water (clear liquid from a coconut or canned coconut water) plus water kefir grains, set in cupboard for 24-48 hours. Strain and drink. Start with small amounts.

You can get water kefir grains for the asking on the Allergies forum, Traditional Foods forum, or in Swaps.

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM

You can also buy water kefir grains, one of the users, dogmom (with some numbers at the end) sells them. It can be hard to find people with extra water kefir grains IME.
#20 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

dogmom327: kefir grains

Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 41 Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM

I finally started making water kefir and my girls are loving it, so am I. Well it took about a week or so to get used to the flavor and get over the headache (which was I'm assuming a die-off reaction).

My question is what is the difference between water kefir and say raw goats milk kefir?

Should I be looking to do a milk type kefir too or is just getting the water kefir everyday ok?
#22 of 41 Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

There are more beneficial microbials in raw goat's milk kefir and more nutrients. But, water kefir has a lot more than yogurt.

Just one kefir is fine, or a bit of both. I do a bit of both.

Pat

I have a blog.
#23 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 AM

Thanks everyone.

Can I use coconut water bought from a store? I've never looked at it so I'm wondering if it might have additives to it that I need to avoid.

When you say allergy forums, could you point me to some? I am looking for some new ones.

Thanks again,
Leela

Quote:
Water kefir is dairy-free.

To make coconut water kefir. Take coconut water (clear liquid from a coconut or canned coconut water) plus water kefir grains, set in cupboard for 24-48 hours. Strain and drink. Start with small amounts.

You can get water kefir grains for the asking on the Allergies forum, Traditional Foods forum, or in Swaps.

Pat
#24 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 AM

So she is talking about yogurt cultures containing milk, not kefir grains. Was I supposed to read something else to this pointer? Just wondering if I missed something.

Thanks,
Leela
#25 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobilichetti View Post
Thanks everyone.

Can I use coconut water bought from a store? I've never looked at it so I'm wondering if it might have additives to it that I need to avoid.

When you say allergy forums, could you point me to some? I am looking for some new ones.

Thanks again,
Leela
Yes, canned coconut water is ok, if no additives.

This is the most useful Allergies forum, imo. Just post a thread looking for kefir grains or on the Chat thread here, or in Swaps.

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobilichetti View Post
So she is talking about yogurt cultures containing milk, not kefir grains. Was I supposed to read something else to this pointer? Just wondering if I missed something.

Thanks,
Leela
Sorry, here are water kefir grains the fast and easy route: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/zen...8f88bddd7ad408

Pat

I have a blog.
#27 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Cultures for Health is where I got my water kefir grains from. I received them very fast after ordering - very happy with their customer service.

Pat - can you use water kefir grains to culture the coconut water? Beyond taste and any leftover sugar being an issue with regular water kefir - what would be the difference using coconut water? Would you need to be concerned about the grains at all? Can you switch back and forth with the same grains?

What about coconut milk - would you need milk kefir grains? Would goat's milk still be better than coconut milk? I am very intolerant of cow's milk in any form - but I haven't yet tried goat's milk and I think I may have a source for raw close to me. Would it be better for me given my intolerance to try homemade vrs store bought goat's milk kefir?

Ok so now that I pelted you with a million questions - sorry but you are just so knowledgeable and helpful - Thanks for all you information and help. Little by little we are walking the path towards optimal health the natural way.
#28 of 41 Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig_Fly View Post
What about coconut milk - would you need milk kefir grains?
I used my water grains in coconut milk and they worked fine (although I didn't really care for the taste.) But I only made a few batches before the grains got tossed (oops!) during our recent move, so I don't know how they would hold up with continued use in coconut milk. You might put them back into some sugar water every so often to get them rebalanced or whatever.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#29 of 41 Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Pat, do you need a poster child for your Kefir Advocacy Foundation? I recently took the cutest pics of DS drinking kefir from a glass and having a very big kefir-mustache.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#30 of 41 Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig_Fly View Post
Pat - can you use water kefir grains to culture the coconut water? Beyond taste and any leftover sugar being an issue with regular water kefir - what would be the difference using coconut water? Would you need to be concerned about the grains at all? Can you switch back and forth with the same grains?
From my understanding, you can use water kefir grains or milk kefir grains. The milk grains won't keep growing in just coconut water. There is plenty of sugar and MANY nutrients in coconut water though. Let me find the link.

You can buy coconut water in a can, also. http://www.goya.com/english/products...38&prodCatID=5 It doesn't have all the enzymes of raw coconut water. But, is tons more nutritious than plain water. Here is an organic version: http://sales3mfp.en.ec21.com/GC01013349/CA01264838/Organic_Coconut_Water.html

Here are two links to info on many of the health benefits of coconut water:
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/coconutwater.html
http://www.cocotap.com/nutrition.htm

Quote:
What about coconut milk - would you need milk kefir grains? Would goat's milk still be better than coconut milk? I am very intolerant of cow's milk in any form - but I haven't yet tried goat's milk and I think I may have a source for raw close to me. Would it be better for me given my intolerance to try homemade vrs store bought goat's milk kefir?
I haven't used coconut milk, yet, myself. Goat's milk has more nutrients and protein, less fat, more allergenic than coconut water. So, depends if IgE- no goat; if IgG, I'd try homemade RAW goat's milk kefir with REAL kefir grains.

Any kefir is better than no kefir. But, raw and homemade have many more beneficial microbials.

Here is the mega-kefir thread of all time: Got Kefir? (has many recipes for increasing kefir utilization)

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page