Staph on top of eczema - treatment suggestions? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi allergy mamas,

Sorry to pull you away from your detox discussions, but can any of you suggest a home treatment for what appears to be a staph infection? DS's right hand - and now his ear - have fluid-filled pustules on them. They just appeared today. I had him play in Epsom salt water in the sink for 20 minutes, and they looked better. Then he started bailing out the toilet with his shoe while I was getting a diaper, so into the Epsom salt tub he went! But when I put him down for nap, I noticed a pustule next to his ear, which he has been scratching. (He gets eczema spots where the top and bottom of his ear connect to his head.)

The thing is, we have had very few eczema issues in the past few weeks. Friday night, he scratched his hands like mad. BUT, I/we (DH and I) think it had more to do with DH being out of town (first time in DS's life), and DS expresses his anxiety through scratching. He was awake every hour Friday night, lunging toward DH's side of the bed, flopping back onto me, and scratching. Now, his hand has the pustules.

The earliest one of us can take him to the doctor is Tuesday, and, of course, I want to avoid antibiotics. So, any natural treatment suggestions, at least until then?

Thanks!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tea Tree Oil and keep it covered, is what worked for us. Reapply the TTO a few times a day, is what our ND said to do.
TTO is not to be ingested though, so make sure it's not where he can get it in his mouth.
Extra Vit C to help boost his immune system as well.
#3 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Could it be dyshidrotic eczema?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

#4 of 13 Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Coconut oil, lavender, baking soda each (individually) could help it to heal.

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 13 Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 PM

Our son last year ended up on oral antibiotics 5 times for staph infections due to his eczema. I finally had a "terms of endearment" moment for them to culture the staph (very important these days!) and it turns out it was mrsa. I'll share what we did naturally to get rid of the mrsa. BTW, he is also 95% eczema free due to nutritional supplements to clear his liver, gallbladder, and spleen and also Sequential Homeopathy. Will post that info at the end also.

MRSA/Staph:

Antibiotics don't work and make the MRSA stronger sorry to say. Important to also take a really really good probiotic. This is the one we take:

Probiotic: http://www.livingstreamsmission.com/

Internally take grapefruit seed extract- http://www.nutribiotic.com/

GSE could aslo help by putting in humidifier/nebulizer perhaps- worth a shot

super potent garlic- http://optimalhealthusa.com/Allimed.html

super vigron- http://www.baselinenutritionals.com/...ucts&view=list)

also consider blood support from baseline nutritionals

Externally to decolonize (staph tends to hang out in nose, under arms, and in genital area)- take clay baths- www.NaturesCleansingClay.com or www.magneticclay.com

put GSE (grapefruit seed extract in your soap, etc), and use olive leaf nasal spray in nose or OZONE gel. We got ours from England: http://www.activatedoxygen.co.uk/mrsa.asp

Ozone gel also will help surface skin infections that are mrsa or not healing completely clear up and heal (my infant son had eczema and 4 months, 5 oral antibiotics, and tons of bactroban later- it did nothing to get rid of the mrsa. One week of ozone applied and garlic taken internally and the infection was gone.

olive leaf extract nsal spray: http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive...sal-spray.html

We also use the GSE (20-30 drops in every rinse cycle of laundrt) and use it to clean everything around the house.

Also- have manuka honey on hand in the house. This is one brand but there are others:

http://www.umfactivemanukahoney.com/

I hope all this helps...now after 7 months we are 100% mrsa free- without antibiotics: 2 adults and 2 young children. It took a lot of time and a lot of research so please keep this list of resources and share with everyone you know who may benefit.

Health and blessings to you all,

N

Nutritional Supplements Healing:
Dr. Cynthia Tait
Whole Health Associates
http://www.wholehealthassoc.com/
ALL CONSULTS DONE OVER PHONE, this clear up eczema 90%!!!

Sequential Homeopathy:
http://www.homeopathy.com/sequential/
http://www.homeopathy.com/clinic/
This is also done long distance, getting rid of remaining eczema AND healing food intolerances and sensitivities- this treatment is AMAZING!!!
#6 of 13 Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Also- the ozone gel is what I have on hand now at all times if the kids get a scatch, etc to put on topically. It was what I used only while my son's skin was still flaring and opening up during the healing process. I will never be without it in the house!

I also noticed the eczema and staph infections do an about face once we started the Allimed- it was like his whole sysyem was probably overrun with staph...
#7 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Austinmom, the website that you linked for the probiotics is impressive and informative. However, I could find no disclosure about which probiotics in what amount were actually in the "liquid probiotic" bottles. I'm curious if the bottles that you received display the specific probiotic strains and the quantities in cfu.

Also, if you all were on 5 rounds of antibiotics and have eczema, I'd welcome you to read more about the detox pathway discussions and gut healing in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1044707

And the links in the first post of this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1045391

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 AM

Hi Pat-

if you call the company- they will let you know what the strains are....

Also- sequential homeopathy actually addresses clearing toxins out of the body- antibiotics, vaccinations, surgery, emotional trauma, etc. Some people have completely resolved their food allergies after sequential homeopathy treatment. Autistic children are actually recovering fully with this treatment protocol as well!

Thanks for the links though!
#9 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Did you see the article in today's Mothering email? It has a section on essential oils for staph.
Quote:
Staph Infections
In a 2004 study, the biology department at the Manchester Metropolitan University researched patchouli, tea tree, geranium, and lavender essential oils as well as Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract). These oils and extracts were used alone and in combination to assess their anti-bacterial activity against three strains of Staphylococcus aureus. A combination of Citricidal and geranium oil showed the greatest anti-bacterial effects against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), while a combination of geranium and tea tree oil was most active against the methicillin-sensitive S. aureus (Oxford strain). The researchers concluded that the study demonstrated the potential of essential oils and essential oil vapors as antibacterial agents and for use in the treatment of MRSA infection.17

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#10 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 PM

My vote is definitely homeopathy....it's the ONLY thing that cleared my staph infection and that was in under a day. The downside is, you really need a homeopath (a worthwhile investment any day of the week if you ask me!)
#11 of 13 Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I thought I should update our situation. Background = DH is VERY pro-Western medicine, so anything I do naturally has to be suggested by the doctor(!) or something a family member would do. Homeopathy would have to be done surreptitiously, and I'm not sure I am willing to do that. I do use some homeopathic remedies on myself, though.

Took DS to the walk-in hours at his fam doc yesterday and saw the NP. Diagnosed impetigo, which can be staph or strep. We haven't had it cultured (yet), but I'm thinking strep because he had an exposure late last week at daycare to strep throat. (I'm assuming they're the same germ - and I started with a sore throat yesterday which I'm treating with Kali Mur.) The NP initially wanted to start oral antibiotics, but said we could go with aggressive topical for 48 hours first. She also suggested Thieves Oil. She suggested it orally (a few drops in his mouth), but the bottle I bought (another brand of Thieves Oil - Medieval Mix) says not to take it internally.

I *did* go to walmart last night and stock up on antibacterial soap and a pump Cetaphil lotion (we use Cetaphil from a tub after baths, but I didn't think that was a good idea at this time). We didn't have any antibacterial soap in the house, and while I know it's bad and natural things can work just as well, I do think there is a time and place for it. DH won't do the effort it takes for natural things, and generally doesn't agree with them. I'm going out of town for 5 days on Thursday, so if I don't get things cleared up soon, I may come back to a son who is on oral antibiotics with no probiotics or other nutritional support. I detest the smell of dial soap.

I made a mist of water and the Medieval Mix which I"m liberally spraying about, including DS's hands. I also made a mist of TTO and water, which I'm using in out shower, bed. I put ACV in his bath yesterday (said that my mom suggested it, and will do TTO in tonight's bath if he doesn't seem to react to it today) We wash the crusties with saline and a cloth, which goes right into the hot washing machine. I then put on antibiotic ointment with a cotton swab, a new tip for each spot.

So, we're home today so he doesn't spread it around daycare and so I can aggressively implement the ointment and sprays.

I know we're not 100% (or even 50%?) natural - we're natural-lite (and I also dislike spelling light, "lite" but it was called for here), but here we are.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 13 Old 12-02-2016, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Hi allergy mamas,

Sorry to pull you away from your detox discussions, but can any of you suggest a home treatment for what appears to be a staph infection? DS's right hand - and now his ear - have fluid-filled pustules on them. They just appeared today. I had him play in Epsom salt water in the sink for 20 minutes, and they looked better. Then he started bailing out the toilet with his shoe while I was getting a diaper, so into the Epsom salt tub he went! But when I put him down for nap, I noticed a pustule next to his ear, which he has been scratching. (He gets eczema spots where the top and bottom of his ear connect to his head.)

The thing is, we have had very few eczema issues in the past few weeks. Friday night, he scratched his hands like mad. BUT, I/we (DH and I) think it had more to do with DH being out of town (first time in DS's life), and DS expresses his anxiety through scratching. He was awake every hour Friday night, lunging toward DH's side of the bed, flopping back onto me, and scratching. Now, his hand has the pustules.

The earliest one of us can take him to the doctor is Tuesday, and, of course, I want to avoid antibiotics. So, any natural treatment suggestions, at least until then?

Thanks!
Antibiotics can cause side effects and I also want to avoid them as much as possible. For staph infection, I often use makula honey by directly applying on the affected area. Then clean it of after several hours.
You may find more natural treatments at: https://authorityremedies.com/home-r...aph-infection/
This is my favorite source of home remedies.
#13 of 13 Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Proceed with Caution with Infections

I'd be really careful and would recommend getting an appointment with a doctor when there is an infection as they can quickly take a dangerous turn. But for mild infections or if your child is under the care of a doctor, then I'd recommend this post: Manuka Honey Heals Eczema Naturally - it talks about how great Manuka is for infections, wound healing and hence eczema.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page