Mothering Forum banner

delay or don't delay: totally annoyed

494 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nalo 
#1 ·
I'm looking for your opinion on whether or not to delay introduction of possible allergens. DH has a casien/lactose allergy. I decided to avoid all dairy until DS turns 2. Then I started reading that delaying can have zero effect, or even make allergies/intolerances worse! I am very frustrated. All things being equal, I'd love to be able to give DS some yogurt and cheese. What do you think? Is delaying worthwhile?

#2 ·
I assume you were eating dairy when you were nursing him??? If he didn't react through you and you have no reason to believe he is allergic then of course you can give him dairy. You many want to start with yogurt for a while, then cheese, then milk. Just so you know, just because your DH has a dairy allergy does not increase your LO's risk for being allergic to dairy also. It DOES increase the chance he'll have allergic tendencies but there is no direct coorelation when you're talking specific foods.

#3 ·
How old is your child?

I do believe it is worthwhile to delay the introduction of any solids until at least 6 months. Personally, I also am delaying the introduction of the top 8-10 as DD's sib has multiple food allergies.

#5 ·
oooohhhh. from your OP it sounded as if he was already 2. if it makes you more comfortable then waiting until age 2 seems perfectly appropriate. i thought you had already waited until age 2 and were considering delaying even longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.