What, Enriched Rice Dream has corn? Seriously??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this in another thread. Please tell me this isn't true. I drink this and will give it to the baby if it is in a smoothie w/flax oil and protein powder. No, this can't be true.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I saw this in another thread. Please tell me this isn't true. I drink this and will give it to the baby if it is in a smoothie w/flax oil and protein powder. No, this can't be true.

~Tracy

Anything "enriched" with vitamins potentially has corn, because the vitamins have to be grown on some kind of medium--usually corn or wheat.

I'm sorry.

Let me look on the corn-free foods list and see if there's another rice milk that is safe. I'll come back and post.

ETA: These are the ones on the safe list, but you might want to call the companies to confirm as the list hasn't been updated for awhile. OR come over to Delphi forums Avoiding Corn and ask what people there are safely using.

EdenBlend – rice/soy milk (unenriched) CC
Imagine Original Rice Dream (unenriched) CC (contains gluten)
WestSoy Rice Milk (used to be Westbrae) unenriched only ??
#3 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Tracy, the enrichments usually contain corn. HOWEVER, my corn allergic dd tolerates it just fine (as well as citric acid and a few other derivatives). They do make "unenriched classic" rice milk though.
#4 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

We can't do soy.

I have heard before that rice dream contains gluten, but their website denies it, and I'm on the phone now w/the company and they reconfirmed that their rice milk is gluten free. They use a barely enzyme to get something out of the rice but then remove the enzyme, and test to some parts per million and find that the product is gluten free.

I was told that there is no corn. I insisted she find out where the vitamins come from and she has me on hold and is trying to check out w/her supervisor because I told her on the online allergy group I visit they are saying the enriched versions have corn.

I feel like sometimes there is a "urban legend" type of info that goes on here about certain products. I get that it is better safe than sorry, but when you have cut out so much already and depend on a certain product, you don't want to give it up for no good reason.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#5 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am so worked up now. The rep helping me just got back on the phone and wanted to know where I read that their product contained corn. So I told her it was an online allergy forum. So she asked which one. So I told here there are several and I've seen it on more than one. So she said she needed a name because if people are saying things about their products that aren't true...

I just pretty much lost it. She couldn't even tell me if the product for sure was absent of corn. I just lost it. Yes, I had to bring up the bloody socks, and how I was on the phone to Hain recently because my baby was getting worse on their brown rice and peas babyfood and how they claimed it was gluten free, but then told me that yes, it is processed on the same equipement as wheat, and how she can eat peas, and she can eat brown rice, but when she eats their "gluten free" product she breaks out. And that there are many products, like their baby food, that have hidden crap in them and that we online have to try to figure out the best we can and help each other, and that case in point she couldn't even tell me for sure if there was no corn in their product. Then she had the audacity to say that is because it isn't a major allergen, and then I just lost it all over again. And went on and on about the corn lobbyists and how Hain won't have the corn info forthcoming even though it is common knowledge that it is a very, very common allergen, just because they aren't legally mandated to, and it is their customers who suffer, like my baby, and she wants to know the name of the website?!?!?!?!?! ::::::

#6 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM

i'd be PO'd too
I've called the rice dream company too and they always dance around it saying they use an enzyme found in barley, but "our final product tests as gluten-free" (ie. Just because the FDA considers it gluten-free)

fwiw, my girls and I did react to rice dream milk, I know others say they don't:

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#7 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

Anything enriched, as well as most vitamin supplements, are sourced from corn in the United States.

Period.

It just plain sucks.

Whenever you see vitamin C, or B vitamins, or citric acid, or ascorbic acid, or iodized salt, or caramel color... run the other way!

Its not worth the time, frustration and agony of trying to pry answers from companies who want your money more than your safety.

Hugs!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#8 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

FWIW, the vitamins that are listed do not usually come from corn. At least not from what I could tell reading up on them on the wikipedia.

Quote:
vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.
~Tracy

#9 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post

i'd be PO'd too
I've called the rice dream company too and they always dance around it saying they use an enzyme found in barley, but "our final product tests as gluten-free" (ie. Just because the FDA considers it gluten-free)

fwiw, my girls and I did react to rice dream milk, I know others say they don't:
DS1 reacts to Rice Dream too. I didn't understand why for the longest time until someone here told me that it "may contain gluten". :

I'm sorry that they were less than forthcoming (to be polite), Tracy.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#10 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD2 does NOT react to the Enriched Rice Dream Vanilla, which she has lots of every day. She is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and corn is her WORST offender, so if there was some little insidious corn in it, believe me, she'd be reacting.

Though if the lady can't tell you that it "doesn't" contain corn then it seems pretty belligerant of her to be saying that people are saying "untrue" things about them. How weird!

I almost bought canola oil again just to have something different from olive oil, and I looked at the label "just in case" and sure enough, citric acid is added to that too (at least the one that Costco sells).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
DD2 does NOT react to the Enriched Rice Dream Vanilla, which she has lots of every day. She is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and corn is her WORST offender, so if there was some little insidious corn in it, believe me, she'd be reacting.

Though if the lady can't tell you that it "doesn't" contain corn then it seems pretty belligerant of her to be saying that people are saying "untrue" things about them. How weird!

I almost bought canola oil again just to have something different from olive oil, and I looked at the label "just in case" and sure enough, citric acid is added to that too (at least the one that Costco sells).
what about original kind? (not vanilla?) does she react to that? I'm sure she's had it right?
#12 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, she's had the original enriched too, though not as often. I only use that one for my scalloped potatoes... sooooooo good. And I use their Almond Dream in pancakes and neither kid has reacted to that one either (though I know alot of people can't use that one because of the nuts). It's the only carageenan-free brand I can find for any of the alternative milks (that also don't have soy or potato or corn in them).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#13 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
FWIW, the vitamins that are listed do not usually come from corn. At least not from what I could tell reading up on them on the wikipedia.

vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, vitamin B12.

~Tracy
Personally, I had problems with a sublingual Vit B12 and in conversations with the manufacturer found out it was grown on fermented corn. Not to say all B12 is, just that it's good to check (assuming you can get straight answers from a company!)
#14 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Just wondering if any of you ladies have tried this recipe.
Its very frugal, and you are in control of the ingredients.

Rice Milk
Ingredients
4 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked rice (white or brown may be used) or 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown may be used)
1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1Cook rice, vanilla bean or extract and water until very soft.
2Let cool, remove vanilla bean (if using) and put mixture into blender or food processor.
3Blend until very smooth.
4Let stand for at least 45 minutes, then strain through cheese cloth.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#15 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Yes I have tried lots of rice milk recipes (including one that claimed to be "just like Rice Dream" -- it wasn't). I also had a SoyQuik that I used to make rice milk for a while, but DD2 wouldn't drink it. It would separate, and it was a very strange consistency. Not smooth. Not to dissuade you from trying it yourself, just telling you to lower your expectations if you think it's going to taste like Rice Dream. Not sure if any of that came out right.

#16 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Tracy,
Have I mentioned that I think it's awesome that you give it to them when they give you the run around? Seriously. I just bite my tongue, stuff my anger and continue on my not-so-merry way with no answers and no satisfaction. I wish I had the guts you do.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#17 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wish I had the guts you do.
Thanks. But I'm just a run of the mill psycho.

~Tracy

#18 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Yes I have tried lots of rice milk recipes (including one that claimed to be "just like Rice Dream" -- it wasn't). I also had a SoyQuik that I used to make rice milk for a while, but DD2 wouldn't drink it. It would separate, and it was a very strange consistency. Not smooth. Not to dissuade you from trying it yourself, just telling you to lower your expectations if you think it's going to taste like Rice Dream. Not sure if any of that came out right.
Yeah, DS1 won't drink homemade rice milk either. I'm still not sure what milk to use for him... Maybe WestSoy's Rice milk. That's no help for you, though, Kathy, since it has carrageenan...
What's Vitamin A Palmitate from again?

#19 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yeah, DS1 won't drink homemade rice milk either. I'm still not sure what milk to use for him... Maybe WestSoy's Rice milk. That's no help for you, though, Kathy, since it has carrageenan...
What's Vitamin A Palmitate from again?
At the rate we go through Rice Dream, I should have bought stock in it (though it wouldn't be worth anything now anyway).

#20 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Description of Vitamin A Palmitate Production

1. Vitamin A acetate is prepared synthetically by treatment of pseudoionone with sulfuric acid, and by condensation of the resulting β-ionone with methyl chloroacetate to the “glycidic ester” intermediate, which is decarboxylated to β-C14-aldehyde.
2. Grignard reaction of β-C14-aldehyde with 3-methyl-2-penten-4-yn-1-ol gives the C20-alkynediol, which is catalytically hydrogenated to C20-alkenediol.
3. Reaction of C20-alkenediol with acetic anhydride and subsequent dehydration with hydrobromic acid gives then vitamin A acetate. The resulting crude product is purified by crystallization from methanol, dried, and then filled into containers.
4. Vitamin A acetate reacts with methyl palmitate in the presence of sodium methoxide (or alternatively sodium hydroxide) in a suitable solvent to give Vitamin A Palmitate, which is isolated by extraction. The product is isolated by vacuum-concentration of the organic phase and then filled into containers.

That blurb is from http://www.dairy-house.com/index.php?p=67

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#21 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

• Description of Vitamin D3 Production

1. Starting material is lanolin from Australian and/or New Zealand living sheep’s wool.
2. Wool is washed to remove water-soluble material.
3. Lanolin is extracted by solvents and purified by distillation.
4. Sodium hydroxide treatment converts the lanolin to cholesterol.
5. Further chemical treatment yields dehydrocholesterol.
6. This is exposed to additional chemical treatment and ultraviolet irradiation to produce Vitamin D3, Cholecalciferol.

And this blurb is from the same source as above.

#22 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Description of Vitamin A Palmitate Production

1. Vitamin A acetate is prepared synthetically by treatment of pseudoionone with sulfuric acid, and by condensation of the resulting β-ionone with methyl chloroacetate to the “glycidic ester” intermediate, which is decarboxylated to β-C14-aldehyde.
2. Grignard reaction of β-C14-aldehyde with 3-methyl-2-penten-4-yn-1-ol gives the C20-alkynediol, which is catalytically hydrogenated to C20-alkenediol.
3. Reaction of C20-alkenediol with acetic anhydride and subsequent dehydration with hydrobromic acid gives then vitamin A acetate. The resulting crude product is purified by crystallization from methanol, dried, and then filled into containers.
4. Vitamin A acetate reacts with methyl palmitate in the presence of sodium methoxide (or alternatively sodium hydroxide) in a suitable solvent to give Vitamin A Palmitate, which is isolated by extraction. The product is isolated by vacuum-concentration of the organic phase and then filled into containers.

That blurb is from http://www.dairy-house.com/index.php?p=67

#23 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Yeah really. That's what I thought. And they call this food. Not only food, but necessary to the equation of health. Yikes.

#24 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Um wow. I didn't know it had corn or even where vits are derived from. This is good to know. I'm thinking of getting a Vitamix and making our own rice milk.

Are there ways to get those vitamins, especially calcium, that I can add to our rice milk? My 3 yr old is GF/Casein free, and he needs the extra calcium.
#25 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM

BTW, Hi Lisa! Why didn't you tell me this when I was touting the enriched rice milk? :
#26 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got an email back from Hain. The woman on the phone who insisted she MUST know which website dared to insinuate their product contained corn emailed me this:

Quote:
Dear Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Enriched Original Rice Dream Beverage. We apologize for the delay in our reply and appreciate your patience. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and we appreciate your patronage.

This is what I found out:

All of the Taste The Dream flavored products may contain ethyl alcohol, which is derived from corn. In addition, they may contain protein at very low levels which should not cause an allergic reaction.

The following products are corn-free:

Rice Dream Non-Dairy Beverages

Original (non-enriched)
Soy Dream Non-Dairy Beverages

Original (non-enriched)

Thank you for your continued support. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Sincerely,

Jessica
Consumer Relations Representative

Ref # 1829458

#27 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I finally got an email back from Hain. The woman on the phone who insisted she MUST know which website dared to insinuate their product contained corn emailed me this:
So it sounds like the Rice Dream stuff is really corn free. I don't know what the "Taste the Dream" stuff is unless it's their chai blah blah and other flavored ones which we can't have because of other ingredients anyway. I know my DD2 doesn't react to it and she's pretty sensitive. And can I say that I HATE when they say that they don't contain the "proteins" so it won't cause an allergic reaction? If it contains ANY part of the food, it can cause a reaction to those sensitive enough.

#28 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

I think she means that the Enriched can contain corn, but the originals don't. I know - she was very unclear.

Yeah, about the "should not cause an allergic reaction"... I'll probably wait until I'm really in a bad mood about something else then write my response to her - use it as a catharsis. She deserves it. Irresponsible idiot.

~Tracy

#29 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
From reading that email, I would assume that Rice Dream Original (not enriched) and Soy Dream Original (not enriched) are the only two corn-free products their company makes; it sounds like all the "enriched" versions contain corn, as well as the vanilla and carob flavors of the "not enriched" version.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#30 of 40 Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Hmmm... I guess I missed that. I thought she meant all the Rice Dream and then it was the Soy Dream that was bad. But I guess you're right. Well, so far my DD2 hasn't had a reaction to it and she drinks gallons of the stuff. We use the enriched stuff, otherwise what's the point since it's just water otherwise.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page