pimples on baby's bottom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
both of my kids are broken out with pimples/abscesses all over their bum. My 2year old never had diaper rash and the month she turned two broke out with this "acne" all over her bottom. It seemed to clear up when I tried potty training and she was in mostly underwear. Now same thing is happening to my 6 month old. All of a sudden over night he has 8 pimples around his bottom and genital area. I'm talking raised, red, swollen, white head pimples and one of them is an abscess. These are the same things my daughter gets. Is this an allergy to diapers? is this a food allergy because I recently started my son on solids? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my DD2 got "pimples" on her butt (very red around the base with a definite "head), and they wouldn't go away (and she was waking up at night and telling me her butt hurt - she is 3yo), I took her to the pediatrician and he said she had folliculitis, and put her on abx for 10 days. They went away. About a week after the abx stopped, they came back. I waited a week again, hoping they'd go away on their own. Back to the pediatrician. More abx. I was banging my head against the wall because I had a gut feel that it was a food intolerance (she already had food intolerances and I felt like I was missing something). Someone (on this board, I might add) suggested that something she was getting must contain one of her triggers. So I looked at everything again. Sure enough, there was citric acid (corn) in the probiotics I was giving her every day (and corn is one of her worst triggers). I stopped the probiotics, and no new "pimples" appeared, and the ones that were there started disappearing. So TWO rounds of abx for something that was a food intolerance. I could have kicked myself.

So I'm not saying that it is definitely a food intolerance, but it definitely is possible. And if you just started him on solids, than it's probable. Now you have to figure out the food (start a food journal).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List