Forum Jump: 

#121 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
chlobo, how old is your ds?
I was JUST coming to post about my ds' congestion/gasping/reflux and see what 'alternative' therapies helped the most. It seems this last chiro appt made it worse than it has been in weeks :

Have you been to a GP or any other health care practitioner, what have they said? i'm looking for ideas..i was up with him until 4 am last night and then he woke up at 6am, all the while he's alternating between screaming, fussing, gurglin/gasping in his throat, needing to burp and falling asleep for 1/2 hour at a time.
DS is 19 months. He's had congestion all his life. Right now its not that bad. But he still mouth breathes a lot. Just frustrating that I don't know what to do about it.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM

My ds has been congested pretty much his whole life too but he's only 4.5 months.
Are you/him off eggs? Just curious, because the ND mentioned in passing that eggs are a 'big one for congestion'

I went off it for a bit, but I just started eating eggs again a few days ago, as well as red pepper/cayenne/paprika. I'm too exhausted to even look in my food journal to piece it together. I'm 99% sure it started up again without any new changes in my diet, though.

I know his congestion did reduce quite a bit a couple days after stopping eggs and started up within hours when I 'tested' it out.

It really is frustrating. I'm goin to go off eggs again and see if it clears up. for us the more bothersome thing is the gasping at the back of the throat/difficulty burping/refluxi-ness (yes i made that word up). It keeps him (and us) up all night. My sitter is here, but i only got a 20 min nap because, you guessed it, ds woke up needing to burp/can't get back to sleep :

It got better when we started seeing the chiro, but like i mentioned this last visit seemed to make it flare up again.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#123 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Pat- cover your ears for a minute.

I went to the HFS today to buy some of my favorite honey because I needed a treat. They were out of it. So I decided to buy some raw cacao nibs. DD initially passed my allergen-free chocolate chip trial, but then ended up failing it weeks later... and I'm pretty sure it was the cane sugar, but I thought this would be a good way to test it.

So I'm googling right now, trying to figure out what exactly you DO with raw cacao... and I found this page, which has all this info:
Quote:
  • No animal in nature will eat it unless tricked into it with milk or sugar.
  • If you can convince an animal to eat it then it greatly shortens their life span if it doesn’t kill them immediately.
  • The native people who ate it only ate the fruit of the theobroma (which contains all the benefits and none of the detriments) and only used the cacao seed as an addition to their psychedelic brew ahyuwasca and as a medicine in emergencies.
  • Native people did not eat it as a food nor as a supplement, only for sacred use.
  • Cacao is one of the most addictive substances known
  • Cacao is super toxic to the liver
  • It acts as a stimulant and agitates the kidneys and adrenal glands. This can cause: insomnia, nightmares, waking up in the middle of the night, shakes, and extreme energy shifts
  • It is extremely clogging due to the toxins carried in the oils contained within. Plus the fat chains are highly complex and require tons of work to break down.
  • The result of long term use is a high level of liver and blood toxicity which can cause extreme mood swings, angry outbursts, violence, depression, paranoia, & dizziness.
  • In some cases of long term use, there are also psychological effects that range from addictive tendencies, sexual dysfunction, violent outbursts, lack of reasoning, and decreased will.
  • At mega does of 40 plus beans, it acts as a hallucinogen and can cause many effects attributed to LSD or Hashish
Well, crap. Is this true? I just bought milk thistle because I'm trying to SUPPORT my liver, and this says that cacao is toxic to the liver. And I certainly don't need any irritation to my adrenal glands.

So tell me ladies- is this just a load of crap? : And second, WTH do you do with raw cacao nibs to make them tasty?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#124 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, crap. Is this true? I just bought milk thistle because I'm trying to SUPPORT my liver, and this says that cacao is toxic to the liver. And I certainly don't need any irritation to my adrenal glands.

So tell me ladies- is this just a load of crap? : And second, WTH do you do with raw cacao nibs to make them tasty?

All I can add is that I heard a rumor a few years ago that raw cacao was the 'drug of choice' at raves...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#125 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM

No way! Cacao Anonymous, anyone?

All the other websites I found claim it to be a superfood, so I just don't know.

I just need to figure out how to make these things taste like chocolate... with just the addition of honey. Is it possible??

#126 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Have you considered getting some cacao butter to mix them with? It would probably give you better results.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#127 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:

All the other websites I found claim it to be a superfood, so I just don't know.

I just need to figure out how to make these things taste like chocolate... with just the addition of honey. Is it possible??
I found a great cacao bar at a local HFS that had only raw cacao and agave. It was delicious. I don't see why you couldn't make something similar with honey. Maybe you could melt it and make cacao-covered blueberries
#128 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Have you considered getting some cacao butter to mix them with? It would probably give you better results.
Well, I thought about buying the cacao butter instead... until I saw the price. It was $30-something for a little tub of it! : So I went for the $10 nibs instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I found a great cacao bar at a local HFS that had only raw cacao and agave. It was delicious. I don't see why you couldn't make something similar with honey. Maybe you could melt it and make cacao-covered blueberries
yummmmmm. But I don't think they melt... do they? I think they're just bits of the raw seeds/nuts/whatever cacao is.

I think I need to get a mortal & pestle so that I can grind them up or something. Then I could mix them in some honey... mmmmm.

#129 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I thought about buying the cacao butter instead... until I saw the price. It was $30-something for a little tub of it! : So I went for the $10 nibs instead.
I think I need to get a mortal & pestle so that I can grind them up or something. Then I could mix them in some honey... mmmmm.
Yeah, I understand that issue.
I'd offer to lend you mine, but a) it's a long way to Seattle and I doubt DH could the time off work and b) it sucks. (It's just not the kind I wanted/needed but I didn't know that when I bought it.)

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#130 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
yummmmmm. But I don't think they melt... do they? I think they're just bits of the raw seeds/nuts/whatever cacao is.

Hmm, good point about not melting. I've never cooked with it, only ate it. I also had a great drink at a raw vegan restaurant that was cacao, almond milk, and dates. It was delicious too - but not sure what you would use for milk. I did see a recipe in one of the allergy cookbooks for zucchini milk - not sure how that would taste

Let us know how it turns out!
#131 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Most vitamin c supps are corn. You could also try camu-camu for C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Susannah- TwinLab Allergy C is neither citrus nor corn- its sourced from sago palm. http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Allergy-C
Seriously? Now I feel really dumb. How do they get them to taste like orange without citrus?

Quote:
DP would sure need to join.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#132 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
Seriously? Now I feel really dumb. How do they get them to taste like orange without citrus?
I had no idea either until the corn-allergic mamas in this forum informed me. I thought citrus too.

#133 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Well, I put some in my coffee grinder (which I will now have to wash out before dinner... blah), and mixed it up with some buckwheat flour, honey, and palm shortening and threw it in a pan (didn't want to wait for the oven to heat up)... made a sort of cacao pancake sweetbread thing. It was interesting. Not fabulous, but not too bad. Still doesn't taste a thing like chocolate.

#134 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
My ds has been congested pretty much his whole life too but he's only 4.5 months.
Are you/him off eggs? Just curious, because the ND mentioned in passing that eggs are a 'big one for congestion'
I remembered that there was some amino acid or something that affected mucus production. It appears to be Quercetin. It is a phytochemical in that is part of the coloring found in the skins of apples and red onions, and in tea, nuts, berries, cauliflower and cabbage, capers, tea, red grapes, citrus, tomato, broccoli, leafy green vegetables, cherry, raspberry, cranberry,

"Quercetin has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects. All these activities are caused by the strong antioxidant action of quercetin. It will help to combat free radicals molecules, which can damage cells.
As many other flavonoids, quercetin prevents the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol.

The anti-inflammatory action of quercetin is caused by the inhibition of enzymes, such as lipoxygenase, and the inhibition of inflammatory mediators. Quercetin also inhibits the release of histamine, which causes congestion, by basophils and mast cells.

Studies have shown that quercetin reduces the cancer risk of prostate, ovary, breast, gastric and colon cells.

Quercetin also seems to reduce the production of uric acid, by inhibiting the xanthine oxidase, thereby easing gout symptoms.

Studies have shown an improved lung function and lower risk of certain respiratory diseases (asthma and bronchitis) for people with high apple (rich in quercetin) intake. "

http://www.phytochemicals.info/phyto.../quercetin.php

Pat

I have a blog.
#135 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I remembered that there was some amino acid or something that affected mucus production. It appears to be Quercetin.

Pat
Actually, I kept reading about N-Acetyl-cysteine and mucus during this detox stuff...
From here:
Quote:
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid supplement to support healthy lung tissue and the body’s natural defenses including immune response and cellular health.

It is most commonly used to help:

* Break down mucus in the respiratory tract
* Rebuild lung tissue
* Activate immune cells
Obviously that's not where I read about it, but that *is* what I kept seeing.

#136 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, I kept reading about N-Acetyl-cysteine and mucus during this detox stuff...
From here:

Obviously that's not where I read about it, but that *is* what I kept seeing.
So you are saying my kids need NAC & quercitin? Or at least that it might help?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#137 of 414 Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 PM

hmm, WEIRD>
I just looked up NAC in food sources, and said that cysteine is an altered form of the amino acid cysteine, which is commonly found in food like poultry, wheat, broccoli, eggs as well as garlic, onions and red peppers.

Ds is (was?) sensitive to wheat (I'm Celiac), eggs and red peppers. I wonder if cysteine itself can be a problem in certain individuals? off to research...

hmm, back to ponder a bit...I wonder if the symptoms I was seeing were actually detox symptoms rather than food intolerance reactions...I just read that cysteine detoxifies...
I know I'm slow. I've stopped reading all the biochem stuff when I stopped getting any kind of sleep and right now I'm 'functioning' on just 2 unrestful hours of sleep..work with me here :P

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#138 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hmm, WEIRD>
I just looked up NAC in food sources, and said that cysteine is an altered form of the amino acid cysteine, which is commonly found in food like poultry, wheat, broccoli, eggs as well as garlic, onions and red peppers.

Ds is (was?) sensitive to wheat (I'm Celiac), eggs and red peppers. I wonder if cysteine itself can be a problem in certain individuals? off to research...

hmm, back to ponder a bit...I wonder if the symptoms I was seeing were actually detox symptoms rather than food intolerance reactions...I just read that cysteine detoxifies...
I know I'm slow. I've stopped reading all the biochem stuff when I stopped getting any kind of sleep and right now I'm 'functioning' on just 2 unrestful hours of sleep..work with me here :P
Yes, it does- it's a building block for glutathione and coA. How are your magnesium, folate and B5? Magnesium and B5 are used to make coA (for cholesterol and a bunch of other things that whoMe can elaborate on I hope) and folate is used to make BH4, which detoxes the ammonia produced in the production of cysteine from methionine (and other processes).

#139 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I just remembered that glutathione is the chemical used in phase I detox... so if you added cysteine and had a "reaction" it's possibly because a phase II pathway was closed.

#140 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, it does- it's a building block for glutathione and coA. How are your magnesium, folate and B5? Magnesium and B5 are used to make coA (for cholesterol and a bunch of other things that whoMe can elaborate on I hope) and folate is used to make BH4, which detoxes the ammonia produced in the production of cysteine from methionine (and other processes).
:

I'll come back to this once I get some sleep. I'm sure it's some important stuff, but i'm in a fog at the moment.

remember me, thyroid buddy?

all i can tell you is i'm taking a very high multi-b and it has folic acid in it too and i eat lots of lentils, and epsom salt baths are mag, right? not sure which foods are high in mag. either

THANKS so much for helping me put the pieces together! (even if i can't understand it at this point)

#141 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 AM

oh and a quick recap of what foods help open up phase II pathways?

nevermind, i have the tuberose page up..i see there is no such thing as a quick recap

#142 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM

I think phase 1 detox needs to be my next research topic... It's all still voodoo to me.

What was the cysteine reaction? Cysteine is used for cholesterol/adrenals, detox/antioxidant/glutathione, and it's a component in keratin, which is hair and nails and keratosis pilaris, and skin and acne. Cysteine is also made from homocysteine with magnesium and B6.

#143 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

I can't list phase II detox foods, but from tuberose's Liver detox article (again):
Quote:
Nutrients needed by phase II detoxification enzymes

Glutathione conjugation: Glutathione Precursors (Cysteine, Glycine, Glutamic Acid, and co-factors), Essential Fatty Acids (Black Currant Seed Oil, Flax Seed Oil, EPA), Parathyroid Tissue

Amino acid conjugation: Glycine

Methylation: Methionine, Co-factors (Magnesium, Folic Acid, B-12, Methyl Donors)

Sulfation: Molybdenum, Cysteine and precursor (Methionine), Co-factors (B-12, Folic Acid, Methyl Donors, Magnesium, B-6/P-5-P), MSM

Acetylation: Acetyl-CoA, Molybdenum, Iron, Niacinamide, B-2

Glucuronidation: Glucuronic acid, Magnesium

Glycination: Arginase Enzyme, Glycine, Gly Co-factors (Folic Acid, Manganese, B-2, B-6/P-5-P)

#144 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I think phase 1 detox needs to be my next research topic... It's all still voodoo to me.

What was the cysteine reaction? Cysteine is used for cholesterol/adrenals, detox/antioxidant/glutathione, and it's a component in keratin, which is hair and nails and keratosis pilaris, and skin and acne. Cysteine is also made from homocysteine with magnesium and B6.
nak

wheat made him scream in pain, GI upset, dry itchy rashes (i believe DH associated with celiac--i get it too)
red pepper family, same as above, but with red rashes on face/neck
eggs, congestion, reflux

#145 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Sleeping, I am.

Phase I and Phase II Detox Foods: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...4160Comment655

Pat

I have a blog.
#146 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Hey guys,
I have been so, so busy, caring for my grandmother who needs a lot of extra help right now, plus feed and not completely neglect my family, so I haven't had much time to read MDC.

But, I hopped on tonight and happened to see this thread about finding grocery deals on amazon, and it looked like there were a lot of good deals on some packaged stuff that I now some of you are able to buy. Thought I'd pass it along.

I am going to try to catch up or just jump in again soon!
#147 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 AM

I think I am getting closer to figuring this out...

he is reacting to high sulfur foods "Patients who react to these foods may have true
sulfur sensitivity with severe molybdenum need."

Molybdenum is needed for sulfation which is a phase II detox pathway (and a deficiency in molybdenum inhibits that pathway--from the tuberose link)

:
A missing link!

Foods high in molybdenum: (sorry no links. I had them and something ate my post)
Pinto Beans
Chick Peas
Bell Pepper :
Cucumbers with peel
Lentils (again)
Romaine lettuce
Kidney Beans

#148 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
wheat made him scream in pain, GI upset, dry itchy rashes (i believe DH associated with celiac--i get it too)
red pepper family, same as above, but with red rashes on face/neck
eggs, congestion, reflux
Since the egg reaction is totally different than the others, I bet it's a different reaction mechanism. Which is probably good, since cysteine should be your friend!

#149 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I think I am getting closer to figuring this out...

he is reacting to high sulfur foods "Patients who react to these foods may have true
sulfur sensitivity with severe molybdenum need."

Molybdenum is needed for sulfation which is a phase II detox pathway (and a deficiency in molybdenum inhibits that pathway--from the tuberose link)

:
A missing link!
Yay, that's a major clue! High molybdenum or B6 can also cause trouble there (you need some, but not too much). Also, you can have issues there if transsulfuration is going too fast. How are the chocolate cravings? And epsom salt baths might be helpful?

#150 of 414 Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 AM

hmm I didn't realize i am craving chocolatey things (since I'm off dairy..to me chocolate = sugary mainstream chocolate bars)...but yes I have been craving (and eating!) the gfcf treats and they ALL have cocoa in them.

Is this a mag deficiency? what else is goin on in ur head right now

I'm taking epsom salt baths daily, and have only a couple times so far for ds as well..

I've never gone off onion/garlic (high sulfur) and honestly can't imagine life without them (you know what that means )
We eat them every.single.day without exception. I wonder if that would be a reason why we never seemed to reach baseline...

I think I need a couple days to think it over and I'll try going off of them to test out the theory. If you don't hear from me in a few days, know I've gone off the deep-end without my precious garlic/onion.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page