Chat thread March 7 - 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's that time again and I have no energy.
If you're looking for any of the detox threads, I believe they're all listed here except for a few new ones:
ellasmama's bile thread
mtn. mama's Keratosis Pilaris discussion

Check out the great results WildIris is having with JMT/NAET too.
If you haven't checked out Wugmama's thread on Lowering grocery costs with allergies, check it out and share your ideas, or maybe get a few.
If you're in a similar boat to changing seasons and ellasmama, you may also find something of interest in ellasmama's EG thread. (Is that the right abbreviation? Or is it supposed to be EE?)
Again, if you haven't already (I haven't, so I'm putting it here in hopes to actually make it there this week), go weigh in on kortner's supplements thread.

As always, if I've missed anything, feel free to add.
Welcome to all our newcomers. Jump right in at any time. We'll try to answer any questions you may have.
The old chat thread is here.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Jacqueline, you rock! :

I want to add a most important post announcement by Pat concerning FF/PB/SB.
#3 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, kortner. I still can't figure out how to link to single posts.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM

We know you're tired after a long day in the city with your MIL, so you're awesome for coming home and providing us with all the links. I would have done it for you but ... I don't know how.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

We actually didn't go to the city today. SIL took her yesterday. Thank goodness, or I'd be really sacked.
DS1 brought something home from school and DS2 caught it. It didn't show a fever in DS1 but it did in DS2, so I've been up the last few nights sponging him down so he could sleep. He seems all better today though.

#6 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM

And another week flies past. Thanks JR for putting this together for us AGAIN.

Let's see... good news first: I trimmed Taslyn's nails today and they look better than they have in 7 months! No visible peeling, only one toenail torn. Woohoo! And all that's left of the trunk rash is several white, flat, used-to-be-hives-turned-eczema bumps.

Bad news? No bad news. We're DEEP in snow here and Honey Pie is taking off for the states until the 17th. We'll see what the weather brings, but if it keeps dumping at this frequency then we'll be snowed in during his trip. Yippee!

I'm struggling to get all the backed up paperwork done so I can file our business taxes by the 15th. And I must get the bunkhouse ready for my Mom's visit. Ack! Wish me luck...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Jacqueline, wow on the being organized with the new thread! Love the links at the beginning.
#8 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Yay Lisa for all the good news!

And thanks once again JR for being so organized.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Well, we had idlis for dinner, and I'm going to call it a success even though they weren't as fluffy and soft as the pictures I've seen online. Using brown rice is probably part of that, but I think I need to grind the rice more. But my husband thinks they're great (he's been yearning for bread for, well, 20 months, and I don't make regular gfcf bread very often) so this is neat. They turned out more like cornbread than anything else, but a good start.
#10 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:12 PM

JR!!!!!! Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Well, we had idlis for dinner, and I'm going to call it a success even though they weren't as fluffy and soft as the pictures I've seen online. Using brown rice is probably part of that, but I think I need to grind the rice more. But my husband thinks they're great (he's been yearning for bread for, well, 20 months, and I don't make regular gfcf bread very often) so this is neat. They turned out more like cornbread than anything else, but a good start.
Idlis? Do you have a recipe/link? (Did we already talk about this and I missed it?)

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#11 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
That sounds lovely. i'd love the link too. I still want to try the ethiopian bread.

Tonight I made sourdough pizza (no cheese). I totally screwed up the recipe using way more of the starter dough than I should have. I totally thought I was screwed but it actually turned out really good. It rose and everything. And my meat sauce was fabulous.

Bad news is that DD (she's 5) got a mysterious rash today. We think it was kiwi. I gave her vit c & clay and I"m hoping we don't have to resort to benadryl.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#12 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM

Hi - I'm joining your chat thread - hope it's OK!

I am trialing corn with DD the last 2 days. Well, more yesterday - I didn't get much in her today. I think she got a rash from corn syrup in the past, so we've been avoiding all corn for a few months.

So far, she has not developed a rash or gotten diarrhea. She is normally very easygoing and happy, but she has been in a horrible mood - really quick to get upset and very clingy the last 2 days, which isn't like her. Also, she seems to be sweating a lot and sleepier than usual. But she's also at the age where they're supposed to get more clingy... I'm not sure what to make of it.
#13 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 PM

We went to a second appointment with a chiro yesterday for DS - he specializes in treating kids with allergies. So in the appointment he tested DS for reactions to all sorts of stuff using applied kinesiology. DP was rolling her eyes the whole time. I was scared the chiro was going to see her and be offended
Anyway, the chiro prescribed two supplements for DS based on his findings - a super EPA and a probiotic. We've been talking the whole appointment about DS' allergies. . . and when we get home I see that the probiotic has soy and eggs in it. Silly me didn't think I had to check for it since we'd been talking about his allergies for an hour. Annoying! We also found out that DS has a leaky gut. The chiro acted like I should have already known that. Have I just been dense? Is that a given when it comes to multiple allergies?

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#14 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 PM

Bad news: my high school friends that were supposed to come visit tonight both cancelled. Lame. And I made the vegan raw cheesecake (it's dairy/soy free, made almost completely of soaked nuts; altered the recipe of course) and it came out ... weird. It was good before I froze it per instructions. Then became... weird, consistency wise. I made a huge pan of lasagna for DH today (for him to bring to work for lunches) and I started salivating when I took it out of the oven. Cheese.... noodles... ugh.

Good news: DS is doing better. The pink that started on his lip the other day faded away (so I think it must have been some small cross contamination from the waffles or something) along with the temper flares. And he's taking his flower essences willingly. All the kids like them. And they seem like they're in better moods. Hooray for flower essences (and FF/PB/SM) : After 5 hours of hitting redial (they have one day phone in registration), I finally got the kids signed up for swim school. Maybe that's why my neck hurts.

Who Knows News: My back seems to be better during the day (after going off chocolate a few days ago) but gets worse during the evening every day, and it's really irking me. I can't tell if it's being on the computer, something I'm eating, or what.

I want the recipe for idlis too. Never heard of it but it sounds good.

JacquelineR: hopefully nobody else catches the bug and you can get some well-deserved rest!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#15 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM

I used the top recipe but read the bottom one to double-check methodology, since this is completely new to me, and I wanted a recipe for dip/sauce type stuff.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-ix-idlis.html
http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2006/08/...ambar-chutney/

Next time I'm going to add some water to the rice when I'm grinding it and see if I can make it grind finer--I think mine was too coarse (maybe it needs to be finer if it's brown rice instead of white?).

I made the sambar recipe in the bottom link, with changes based on what I have and the fact that I wanted a very thick soup instead of a watery one, and I made the ginger chutney. Both were good, neither was great, but I am going to fiddle more. And I learned something--asafoetida from Indian markets mostly, I think, contains wheat as a real ingredient. I think asafoetida (also called hing) needs a flour to make it powdery and usable, so I didn't buy it at the local market, and I decided to chance things and I bought some Frontier asafoetida from Whole Foods. I've seen mixed things on Frontier, and I feel sorta like a loser that I decided to use it anyway (it has rice flour as an ingredient, which was the ah-ha moment that I bet normally it has white flour).

I want to try the injera too, I'm thinking in a couple days. I've been feeling inspired lately, which is such a change.

Chlobo--have you ever tried caramelized onions on top of pizza? Chinese Pistache mentioned it long ago, it's been so wonderful.
#16 of 414 Old 03-07-2009, 11:59 PM

what kind of bean did you use? And can you use any kind of bean (we only have a few safe ones)?

never mind, DS can't have rice anyway...

#17 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
what kind of bean did you use? And can you use any kind of bean (we only have a few safe ones)?

never mind, DS can't have rice anyway...
I think I've read that other grains could work in place of rice, but since this was my first attempt, I have no personal experience. And I bought urad dal, it's only in Indian grocery stores, and they make some that's already split without the skin, so it looks like small white half-beans (even though the skin of urad dal is black). But the first link says that other mild-flavored beans could probably also be used--they may require longer soak time up-front.
#18 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
And another week flies past. Thanks JR for putting this together for us AGAIN.

Let's see... good news first: I trimmed Taslyn's nails today and they look better than they have in 7 months! No visible peeling, only one toenail torn. Woohoo! And all that's left of the trunk rash is several white, flat, used-to-be-hives-turned-eczema bumps.
I enjoy putting the chat thread together. It's actually the highlight of my week. Thank you all for letting me do it!
Good luck with the taxes, Lisa, and I hope you're not too lonely while DH is gone.
I have to ask about T's nails... Is that a reaction of some sort for her? DS2 has nails that peel and they're constantly getting torn... They look terrible and drive me mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Bad news: my high school friends that were supposed to come visit tonight both cancelled. Lame. And I made the vegan raw cheesecake (it's dairy/soy free, made almost completely of soaked nuts; altered the recipe of course) and it came out ... weird. It was good before I froze it per instructions. Then became... weird, consistency wise. I made a huge pan of lasagna for DH today (for him to bring to work for lunches) and I started salivating when I took it out of the oven. Cheese.... noodles... ugh.

Good news: DS is doing better. The pink that started on his lip the other day faded away (so I think it must have been some small cross contamination from the waffles or something) along with the temper flares. And he's taking his flower essences willingly. All the kids like them. And they seem like they're in better moods. Hooray for flower essences (and FF/PB/SM) : After 5 hours of hitting redial (they have one day phone in registration), I finally got the kids signed up for swim school. Maybe that's why my neck hurts.

Who Knows News: My back seems to be better during the day (after going off chocolate a few days ago) but gets worse during the evening every day, and it's really irking me. I can't tell if it's being on the computer, something I'm eating, or what.

I want the recipe for idlis too. Never heard of it but it sounds good.

JacquelineR: hopefully nobody else catches the bug and you can get some well-deserved rest!
I'm sorry that your friends didn't make it, Kathy. It sounds like you worked really hard trying to make something special for them. Is the cheesecake still edible at least?
I'm glad to hear that your kids are enjoying their FEs and that DS's rash seems to be clearing. I hope things continue to improve for you.
I hope you figure out what's going on with your back quickly (and that it's not your computer time!).
In hindsight, I'm not certain that DS1 brought home whatever it was (it starts with a sore throat). I think we may have caught it from MIL a week or so ago and *I* brought it home.
Quote:
I used the top recipe but read the bottom one to double-check methodology, since this is completely new to me, and I wanted a recipe for dip/sauce type stuff.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-ix-idlis.html
http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2006/08/...ambar-chutney/

Next time I'm going to add some water to the rice when I'm grinding it and see if I can make it grind finer--I think mine was too coarse (maybe it needs to be finer if it's brown rice instead of white?).

I made the sambar recipe in the bottom link, with changes based on what I have and the fact that I wanted a very thick soup instead of a watery one, and I made the ginger chutney. Both were good, neither was great, but I am going to fiddle more. And I learned something--asafoetida from Indian markets mostly, I think, contains wheat as a real ingredient. I think asafoetida (also called hing) needs a flour to make it powdery and usable, so I didn't buy it at the local market, and I decided to chance things and I bought some Frontier asafoetida from Whole Foods. I've seen mixed things on Frontier, and I feel sorta like a loser that I decided to use it anyway (it has rice flour as an ingredient, which was the ah-ha moment that I bet normally it has white flour).

I want to try the injera too, I'm thinking in a couple days. I've been feeling inspired lately, which is such a change.
All of that food sounds so yummy. I wish I was in experimental mode rather than "settling in" mode so I could try some of it. Some day (in the next year or 2 ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
Hi - I'm joining your chat thread - hope it's OK!

I am trialing corn with DD the last 2 days. Well, more yesterday - I didn't get much in her today. I think she got a rash from corn syrup in the past, so we've been avoiding all corn for a few months.

So far, she has not developed a rash or gotten diarrhea. She is normally very easygoing and happy, but she has been in a horrible mood - really quick to get upset and very clingy the last 2 days, which isn't like her. Also, she seems to be sweating a lot and sleepier than usual. But she's also at the age where they're supposed to get more clingy... I'm not sure what to make of it.
Welcome to the Allergies forum! You're more than welcome to join us in the chat!
Sweating a lot more would be a reaction in DS1 and the behavioral issues sound familiar too. It's all so difficult when they're so little and everything is changing so quickly for them to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
We went to a second appointment with a chiro yesterday for DS - he specializes in treating kids with allergies. So in the appointment he tested DS for reactions to all sorts of stuff using applied kinesiology. DP was rolling her eyes the whole time. I was scared the chiro was going to see her and be offended
Anyway, the chiro prescribed two supplements for DS based on his findings - a super EPA and a probiotic. We've been talking the whole appointment about DS' allergies. . . and when we get home I see that the probiotic has soy and eggs in it. Silly me didn't think I had to check for it since we'd been talking about his allergies for an hour. Annoying! We also found out that DS has a leaky gut. The chiro acted like I should have already known that. Have I just been dense? Is that a given when it comes to multiple allergies?
Many of us have partners who were unsupportive in the beginning, Susannah. I'm sorry that your DP seems to be another. Hopefully she will come around soon.
I'm sorry about the probiotics. It's really frustrating when that happens and so easy to just slip and miss it (especially when you're just starting out!).
It seems to be a "given" with the people on this forum that their (and/or their DC's) guts are leaky, anything beyond that is out of my experience. I had no idea about this whole "leaky gut" thing when I started on the allergy journey almost a year ago either. No, you haven't been dense. I'm feeling badly that no one in the forum had told you... Do you have any questions about it that perhaps we can answer now? However, it must be said that leaky gut (aka permeable intestine) is only responsible for IgG reactions (aka "intolerances") rather than IgE reactions, if I've understood correctly to this point.

#19 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

:
I just realized I only have 11 weeks left until there's 3 of them!! (children I mean)

#20 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Ok, I wasn't sure which supplement thread to hijack, so here's another OT question for you guys.

I finally (after feeling weird for a couple weeks) realized that my zinc supplement is making me nauseous. Does it do that to anyone else??? Just wondering if that's normal. I read somewhere to take it on an empty stomach, but I think I will try it with food and see if that helps.

#21 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 AM

You all "spring forward" with the time change tonight? We're heading to bed.

good-night.

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Oh my heavens JR... you're on the countdown now! You're going to be one busy mama... and you get to hold that sweet precious baby non stop.

About T's nails: for us I think its all about malabsorption. Peeling nails, ratty hair and poor dental enamel. I don't believe its a reaction to a certain food. The cell salt Silicea is supposed to be good for hair and nails AND absorption of minerals. And I drink Chickweed tincture after every meal to help with it too. We're also supplementing iodine... when iodine is low then one can exhibit dry hair and nails too. HTH.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#23 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 AM

CS, zinc seems to make my DH queasy too.

Susannah- didn't the AK chiro muscle test the child to see if the specific probiotics were something that her body needed? My AK chiro would never prescribe something for me without him muscle testing or me crystal testing it.

#24 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

good-night.

Pat
Yikes! Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
The cell salt Silicea is supposed to be good for hair and nails AND absorption of minerals.
I just bought some of that today!! I'm a little concerned that DD will react to the lactose, but FF/PB said that sometimes putting it in water helps. How does T do with the lactose in the cell salts?

Kind of related to the cell salts (well, it's related in my head... the reason I was going to buy them is because DD hasn't had any teeth come in for like 9 months; she doesn't even have her 1-year molars yet.) Anyhoo... she is definitely teething today, and I can see a molar bump on one of her gums!! Yay!! :

#25 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
CS, zinc seems to make my DH queasy too.
Interesting. I wonder why that is? It took me forever to figure out it was the zinc.

#26 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I have to ask about T's nails... Is that a reaction of some sort for her? DS2 has nails that peel and they're constantly getting torn... They look terrible and drive me mad.
Nails are made of keratin, so you might want to check out the keratosis pilaris thread. Mine are really strong, and I also have KP on my arms. If my KP theory is right, increasing blood calcium (higher vit D:A ratio, dietary calcium) and/or cysteine (Mg/B6 or NAC supp or reduce demand for glutathione) might help. Biotin is also supposed to be good for nails.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#27 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
good-night.

Pat
Oh my. Is it that time already? Thanks for the reminder, Pat. Sleep well!
Quote:
Oh my heavens JR... you're on the countdown now! You're going to be one busy mama... and you get to hold that sweet precious baby non stop.

About T's nails: for us I think its all about malabsorption. Peeling nails, ratty hair and poor dental enamel. I don't believe its a reaction to a certain food. The cell salt Silicea is supposed to be good for hair and nails AND absorption of minerals. And I drink Chickweed tincture after every meal to help with it too. We're also supplementing iodine... when iodine is low then one can exhibit dry hair and nails too. HTH.
Oh man. I lived in my rocking chair when DS2 was born... My back was *killing* me. At least I have all the pillows still from making it into a nest! Hopefully DS2 won't be too incredibly jealous.
Yeah, minus the dental enamel (which I'm not sure about) that sounds like DS2. I didn't know that about iodine... I really need to get a supp of some sort for that...

#28 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 AM

from last week's thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I think I missed this discussion. How would it make symptoms worse? I've been having more folate recently and been feeling like crap.
I dunno. I think it's the histamine and dopamine thread? I read tonight you need B12 to absorb folate... I forget if you're doing a sublingual B12 yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Speaking of healing and my remedy... I just noticed that my eczema is slightly flared this morning (that usually only flares when taking my remedy.) Maybe the artichokes we ate last night? hmmmm... This is really getting annoying.
Artichokes are a detox food. But I forget how they're supposed to work... I'll look it up in the morning if someone hasn't beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Is there supposed to be an end to supplementing to open the detox pathways? Or are you supposed to be doing it forever? Just wondering...
The theory that I'm working off of is that you supplement to get things open, and you might need to supplement to clear out any junk. After that, most of the nutrients are only needed in normal food amounts - so you'd only need to supplement if for some reason you're not willing/able to eat the foods your body needs (as in, not liking beans/lentils/spinach so choosing supplemental folate instead).

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#29 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Happy weekend everyone! I'm not happy about losing an hour tonight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I read tonight you need B12 to absorb folate... I forget if you're doing a sublingual B12 yet?
I'm not doing a sublingual B12 yet but it is on my list to get tomorrow. I'm going to try to write up my detox plan tomorrow and post on healthyself for comments. I am so extremely moody right now. I don't know what my problem is. This has been going on for several days (I'm always a bit moody, but it's been much worse). And for the past several weeks (maybe months?) I just cannot concentrate on anything (which is why it's taken me so long to work through all the detox stuff - I just can't focus). Not to mention DH gets annoyed when I'm on the computer. He thinks if I'm not working I should be spending on my time and energy on him and DD (he doesn't value all the research I do to help DD). Sorry about the venting. I feel like I only log on to ask help and vent! You are all so wonderful, thanks for not kicking me out of the club!
#30 of 414 Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM

I think zinc can do that, what form is it? My husband took a zinc oxide of mine a couple years ago on accident, or no, it was to stave off a cold (and it was before breakfast), and felt horribly nauseous for an hour after. I give the kids zinc citrate or picolinate after breakfast--yes, definitely after food.

Holy sh!t, I hit reply, typed 3 sentences, and there are 5 new messages before I can hit Submit. :

Never mind--hello, page 2, I totally missed it the first time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page