Ok, I know the facts, give me some experiences - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has a bunch of food allergies. The one that seems to be most prevalent is her dairy allergy. She will get hives if she comes into contact with it. The hives do not spread all over her body, they just occur where the exposure has happened. They have always gone away pretty quickly (I would say within 1/2 hr to be completely hive/redness free). Yesterday we were at a friend's house and she actually found a little piece of feta on the tablecloth and put it in her mouth. I was pretty surprised by this because generally she doesn't even like to touch the stuff. Anyway, my friend's daughter acted quickly and got it right out of her mouth. I ran over and swept her mouth well. Within a couple of minutes she was itching her bottom lip a little and she developed some redness on her chin with a couple of tiny hives and some redness above her upper lip. As usual this cleared quickly and really she didn't even seem to notice it. She continued to play while it was all happening.

Ok, I read that 80% of children with a dairy allergy outgrow it by age 5. With reactions like I am seeing in my dd does it still seem likely that she would outgrow it? I usually try not to think about this kind of stuff because I know it is not happening tomorrow, so really it has no bearing on my life now; I need to think about what I am feeding her at her next meal. Oh, btw, she is 21mos if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has she been tested for food allergies? Is it a case where you should have an epi pen just in case?

From where I sit, it looks like they're more likely to outgrow food allergies than food intolerances, but it is possible to have both intolerances and allergies, so you do have to take that into consideration.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

First, thanks for the concern. Yes, we have had her tested and we do carry an epi-pen. I have no idea about intolerances (except perhaps soy is more of an intolerance than true IgE allergy) as she has never had anything she is allergic to more than once.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09

#4 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Well, for the most part, on this forum you're more likely to see moms that are in the midst of dealing with allergies. My dd is 3 1/2, my ds is 10 mths. They've not outgrown them yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that magical age of 4 or 5. Now, I've recently discovered that my 6 yr old dd is dairy intolerant. I don't mean lactose, but dairy protein intolerant. I have my doubts that she'll outgrow it and I don't think her problem is IgE, whereas my other kids are.
#5 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 PM

There was a study published in Dec 07 that found most kids are taking longer than previously thought to outgrow milk allergy.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi...rgy/index.html

DS is almost six and still is highly allergic to milk (and others) but his RAST is falling.

If your child's reactions are becoming more severe I would suggest an emergency action plan for how to treat a reaction. An allergist can help you come up with a plan. FAAN has a good template on their website.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#6 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Speaking as someone who supposedly outgrew my milk allergy, I can say I never really outgrew it.

My parents never kept me off cheese and yogurt as a child because they had some misinformation about my allergy and believed "cooked" milk was okay. When I was about 10-12 I started sneaking ice cream when I was at school, wanting to prove that I had outgrown my allergy. I didn't have the severe reactions that I'd had as a child, so when I finally fessed up, we all figured maybe I was right.

I continued to drink and eat dairy until I was about 25. I was constantly constipated, regularly had a hacking cough (several people thought I was a closet smoker), and got ear infections every few months. I had no idea that these were related to milk until I gave it up for a few weeks just for fun. That was when I discovered my eczema, lack of energy, and join aches were also related to dairy consumption.

All that to say, be very careful in assuming a child will outgrow an allergy/intolerance. IME, often was is seen as "outgrowing" is really just a change in symptoms. I no longer had severe asthma attacks after eating milk products, but I was clearly not in optimal health.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
All that to say, be very careful in assuming a child will outgrow an allergy/intolerance. IME, often was is seen as "outgrowing" is really just a change in symptoms.
Exactly. Even though I'm hopeful, I'm preparing for the possibility that it's not going to happen. I've read waaaayyy to many stories like notjustmamie's. People trade symptoms, but the food still causes them problems. Unfortunately, the medical community's definition of "good health" is not the same as most MDC mamas.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page