DD on steroids 5 times in 15months! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH took DD1 to the doc today. She's had this cold that wouldn't go away - then over the weekend - she was coughing CONSTANTLY...even threw up a couple of times. Tried vaporizer, honey, eucalyptus EO, even Robistussin.
The doc seems to think she may have some underlying asthma and wants us to consider putting her on a low dose steroid med - continuously. I DO NOT THINK SO!!!
I really think it is something she is allergic to. She does not drink a lot of milk. She was exclusively breastfed for 5months and continued until she was 3.5yr. She gets this irritating cough that won't stop + some minor wheezing when she gets a cold. Plus she has had her share of ear infections.
She does have yogurt; cheese - mostly cooked (mac -n-cheese; pizza; etc.) She eats eggs. She takes vitamins daily.

Where do I start? has anyone had similar experiences? Has anyone had results?

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Are there colors in the vitamins? Could be a food chemical reaction which can include foods as well as colors/preservatives:

Fed Up with Asthma
http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...ks/FUAinfo.htm

The only way to discover if milk is an issue is a complete elim. diet...a little is still some. I have met many parents/kids in my raw milk co-ops that cannot tolerate pasteurized dairy but raw is very healing.
#3 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM

I wouldn't consider eating yogurt, cheese and drinking a little milk to be a small amount of dairy, actually. If you want to find out if dairy is the problem (and it is the number one allergen), you need to eliminate it completely for 4-6 weeks to observe results. How are her bowel movements? Are they mushy or overly smelly? Does she have skin issues (rashes, hives, eczema)? Does she have dark circles under her eyes? Does she have potty issues (Like wetting the bed) or sleep issues (does she sleep soundly)?
#4 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Her vitamins are from a natural food store - and are made w/ natural coloring (beet juice, carrots - etc.)
I am reading more about elimination diet - I am thinking the same ...we need to go dairy free; I was to read more before I implement.
Her BM's are normal consistancy & not overly smelly; she has KP (but so does DH & I); She does get dark circles when she's sick - but not usually. No problems wetting the bed. She's always had sleep issues - wakes often. She was colicky as a baby.
She's constantly drinking and pees often. (BUt not insatiable thirst - just smalls drinks often) She has issues w/ the feel of clothing - sensitive to irritation.

Heather: wife to Chris ; mama to Sophia (7/03) ; Juliana (8/07):; and Peter (3/12/10)
#5 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

This is a copy of a recent post of mine regarding ear infections and the correlation to mucus and dairy. I'd stop all dairy. Cheese has 10x more casein than milk. http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/...heesePage5.htm Dairy is hidden in many forms. Here is a link about hidden dairy casein: http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...dden-dairy.pdf

Also, soy is highly associated with dairy intolerance. Any inflammatory response could be a variable, but the mucus forming variable is associated with dairy.

Pat

Quote:
:

Diary intolerance is the number one cause of fluid build up in ears.

"In one study an astonishing 86% of the children tested became free of ear problems once they came off dairy food."
http://www.safekids.co.uk/EarProblemsAndAllergies.html
http://www.healthychild.com/ear-infe...ternatives.htm
http://www.vitacost.com/science/conc...infection.html
http://www.femail.com.au/ear-infections-truestar.htm

Additionally, I was just reading that chiropractic adjustments could help with ear infections. I didn't know.

Breast milk in the ear or garlic oil is supposed to help too.

Also, add vitamin C and whole food probiotics, such as yogurt for the immune system.

"In an October study in the medical journal The Lancet, researchers found that antibiotics for ear infections are only beneficial to children under the age of 2 with both ears infected. Study leader Dr. Maroeska Rovers, of the University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands, said that researchers found that in most other cases, watchful waiting is OK."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16140545/#storyContinued
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ear-infections/EI99999

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...ics-vs-waiting

"Evidence has been building over the years showing most ear infections resolve on their own and antibiotics do little or nothing to speed the process. And, overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. The most important factor in treatment for ear infections is pain relief."

A landmark study published in Pediatrics has shown that treating ear infections with antibiotics has no benefit when compared to doing nothing. (McCormick 2005).
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...-Not-Necessary

My recommendation is classical homeopathy.
A friend's daughter had six rounds of antibiotics for ear infections and was scheduled for tube insertion. She saw the homeopath and gave her daughter the proscribed remedy. On return to the physician prior to the surgery, her ears were no longer infected. And she has had no ear infections since.

Our classical homeopathist first learned about homeopathy for her son with ear infections. Then she became schooled about homeopathy. I am a complete believer. Although, I still do not understand how it works. We are all on constitutional remedies and are rarely ever sick.

Another suggestion is Grapefruit Seed Extract. (Not grape seed.) GSE is also a natural anti-inflammatory. It is give orally, diluted in water. It tastes horrible though.

Here are some more ideas:
Garlic is a natural antibiotic.
Collodial silver is a natural antibiotic.
Vit C-large doses (natural fever reducer, iirc)
Cod liver oil- essential fatty acids help the immune system (We use Nordic Naturals -strawberry and our son loves it!)
Chamommilla is good for restlessness, discomfort, insomnia, unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.
Zinc lozenges help the immune system
Echinecea- We use Sambucol for Kids
Probiotics- for immune support, digestive system is 70% of immune system. Many of the serious side effects of cp are associated with a damaged gut, secondary to antibiotic use. Avoid antibiotics with cp and other viral illnesses.

And Dairy is the #1 culprit of fluid and mucus production leading to an environment conducive to ear infections.

Here is some info about homeopathic remedies (and treating ear infections).

* Aconite: Pain that comes on suddenly after a shock or chill.

* Belladonna: Severe throbbing pain; child is oversensitive and cranky.

* Chamomilla: Unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.

* Lycopodium: Pain on right side only; stopped-up nose; cold extremities.

* Magnesia phosphorica (or "homeopathic aspirin"): Pain reduced by the application of heat or pressure.

* Mercurius solubilis: Pain accompanied by swollen glands and sweating.
Do probiotics, cod liver oil, magnesium, vit. C, zinc, coconut oil, bone broths, green juices. Support the immune system. The gut is 70% of our immune system. Antibiotics damage the microbial balance in the gut.

Basically, you have to heal the gut to strengthen the immune system. Check out the "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet" at the top of the forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

I have a blog.
#6 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM

The histamine response is part of the body healing itself. When we are exposed to allergens, there is a 'bucket' effect. As more and more allergens are present, we have the "bucket" overflow with (histamine)----> reactions (mucus, inflammation, etc.). By taking an anti-histamine/steroid, perhaps, she could have less histamine (reactions) and an (appearance of an) ability to eat more nutrient dense foods. I imagine that is the thinking.

However, another alternative is to improve the body's ability to deal with the allergens, rather than cover up the reaction that it isn't, imo. Another alternative is to avoid the allergens, which is difficult when it is environmental.

We use classical homeopathy and this has basically cured my husband's asthma. Dh was on Benedryl and Proventil every four hours, and Claritin and Advair daily, due to allergy induced asthma. He is highly allergic to all air borne pollen: all tree, grass, weed, mold, dust, mites, cat dander pollen, etc. (SPT +) He couldn't be outside for about 6-9 months of the year due to red, runny eyes, sneezing and wheezing and debilitating asthma.

However, since being on classical homeopathic remedy for five years he hasn't had any asthma in over four years. None. And he no longer takes the Benedryl or Proventil (albuterol). Now he never has these issues and only uses Claritin sporadically and the Advair once daily. And no more asthma!

Here is a link with more information about eliminating airborne allergens: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...l#post12748820

Regarding the food allergens, instead of hiding the reactions, I'd focus on improving her ability to digest and absorb nutrients from food, which will help her to eliminate the toxin byproducts of food through the liver properly, rather than have them leaking into his bloodstream and causing the inflammatory histamine response. Doctors can't control what children eat. So, it really is difficult for them to feel effective with just diet control suggestions.

The long-term path to that is to heal the leaky gut, if we are dealing with non-IgE foods. IgE foods just have to be avoided (except there are some allergists doing minute controlled desensitization).

When we suppress the reactions with antihistamines or steroids, the toxins are not eliminated. We just halt the body's ability to respond to the toxin and to remove it. Thus the toxins affect other body organs: lungs (asthma), gut (more and more allergies develop), stomach (poor digestion, reflux, ulcers), mouth (thrush, dental cavities, gingivitis), liver overloaded, etc. (but those aren't the allergist's department)

Also, the skin is an excretory mechanism for us to eliminate toxins.

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM

"Natural" food coloring from fruits/vegs can still cause reactions in a salicylate sensitive kid. Many synthetic vitamins esp. vitamin A palmitate, are also highly reactive.
#8 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

: Wow - I just keep thinking this should be easier to figure out what is causing this. I can understand why many parents just choose to opt for the easy fix w/ meds!

SO - I think before starting an elim diet; many things I am reading suggests doing a food diary for 7-10 days. Should I wait until the current cold is gone...or just do it a bit longer?

We just bought a ton of food w/ dairy in it. Not that I want to expose her - but I really can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of new food - and waste the stuff I have. Perhaps it would give me a baseline prior to starting the ED.

I also want to pay attention to the additives in her diet and amount of refined sugar and flour to see if that is playing a part.
I'd like to get her on a probiotic. What are your favs? And how expensive are they? I just started her on an Omega complex. I know I feel much better when I take my prenatal, enzyme, probiotic & omega complex.

She's pretty good about drinking water - but lots of textures & tastes gag her - so some of the supplements in the past she wouldn't take.

#9 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croleRN View Post
Her vitamins are from a natural food store - and are made w/ natural coloring (beet juice, carrots - etc.)
I am reading more about elimination diet - I am thinking the same ...we need to go dairy free; I was to read more before I implement.
Her BM's are normal consistancy & not overly smelly; she has KP (but so does DH & I); She does get dark circles when she's sick - but not usually. No problems wetting the bed. She's always had sleep issues - wakes often. She was colicky as a baby.
She's constantly drinking and pees often. (BUt not insatiable thirst - just smalls drinks often) She has issues w/ the feel of clothing - sensitive to irritation.
One more thing, sensory issues are often related to gluten and dairy.
#10 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by croleRN View Post
SO - I think before starting an elim diet; many things I am reading suggests doing a food diary for 7-10 days. Should I wait until the current cold is gone...or just do it a bit longer?
Take her out of the poison ivy patch she's playing in immediately, or wait a while longer?

Quote:
We just bought a ton of food w/ dairy in it. Not that I want to expose her - but I really can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of new food - and waste the stuff I have. Perhaps it would give me a baseline prior to starting the ED.
Haven't the last 15 months been "baseline" enough for you? It is not that difficult to cook dairy free. Or even gluten free. We're gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, corn-free and many more. We all eat plenty. And we're not catching every virus that comes along (even though the school district is saying that this year is worst than most).

Quote:
I also want to pay attention to the additives in her diet and amount of refined sugar and flour to see if that is playing a part.
I'd like to get her on a probiotic. What are your favs? And how expensive are they? I just started her on an Omega complex. I know I feel much better when I take my prenatal, enzyme, probiotic & omega complex.
GIProx12 from GIprohealth.com is the probiotic we're using. I take apart the gelcap and pour it into the smoothie when they're not looking. Once you start cooking everything from scratch on your elimination diet, you won't have to worry about additives. Because you'll be controlling them.

Drinking a lot was one of my DD2's food intolerance symptoms.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#11 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Hearing your child might have asthma is sometimes hard to come to terms with -- at least it was for me (my son could run for hours without a wheeze, could play in grass and meadows and be fine... but a small cold would erupt into some scary scenarios quickly, ending up with us in emerg and him on steroids.)

We have been working VERY hard the last two winters to boost his immune system -- cod liver oil, calc/mag supplement, Vit C, a good multi, probiotics, bone broth to cook our rice (he doesn't like it plain), LOTS of sunshine and good sleep, and no dairy. It's made a huge difference. But we have also reconciled to using an inhaled steroid when we see a cold coming on to support his breathing... and these two things have kept us out of emerg and away from the evil prednisone for more than two years (after going 5X/year the two winters before)... and we are hoping as his immune system grows stronger and as his body grows bigger, that he will be able to fight these things better and better.

I do not like the idea of daily inhaled steroids in winter (last year) or when he starts getting a cold (this year)... but I think he had/has such a ways to go in building his immune system back up, that using nutrition/supplements as well as the puffer is doing him good (and it's a directed steroid, vs the predinose which goes thru the body). I can see a day when he won't need the steroid at all... but I don't think we are there yet.

Talking to adults with asthma also helped me realize what was going on. My son has a high pain threshhold, and doesn't complain, so it was hard for me to see how serious asthma can be, or how horrible it feels when you can't breathe.

Good luck as you head down this road... and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
#12 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=kjbrown92;13393200]Take her out of the poison ivy patch she's playing in immediately, or wait a while longer?

Wow - That seems a bit harsh! I am not actively giving her milk,cheese, yogurt, etc - I haven't started eliminating "hidden dairy" sources. And I haven't had a chance to discuss my thoughts w/ her teacher, my parents, etc - other people who feed her and care for her at times. - Really - I just started talking to DD about it. She needs to understand what we are doing before I totally change her lifestyle. She is an intelligent little girl. She will be on board much better if she understands completely and has a moment to prepare. Otherwise - I will see her not being "Compliant" with it (sneaking food, not telling me what she's eaten, etc.)
Not to mention I don't even "know" it's dairy. That's just a guess. It could be eggs or wheat or additives? I'm trying to make the best guess I can - by educating myself, observation of when she eats what foods - does she have any symptoms.

I appreciate all the thoughts, advice and yes, even criticism. This is a totally new arena for me. None of my family has food allergies (that we know of). So I am learning... A LOT.

#13 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM

If a child truly has asthma not treating it isn't a wise choice. Asthma can kill (suddenly) and untreated ongoing asthma can damage/scar the lungs permanently.

I say that because we had to treat my son for asthma for a while and he was completely allergen free (gluten, dairy, soy, corn, citrus, and on and on). We also did a lot to treat his immune system (vitamin D, cod liver oil, probiotics, etc). We did chiropractic and cranial sacral and nasal rinses. We still do a lot of that. But there is more to medication decisions than just "taking an easy way out".

I would, though, wonder at such a large number of infections at that young of an age.

I would caution you, though, that asthma is nothing to take lightly. And we can't control everything no matter what choices we make.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#14 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I apologize - Rachelle - if I offended by saying "medication being an easy way out." I didn't mean that kids w/ asthma do not need medication. DD1 has never had an "asthma attack" or needed rescue treatment. When she is well - she has no problems w/ breathing, coughing, etc. It is when she is ill (cold, ear infection, etc) that it lingers, and she gets bronchospams causing "coughing jags" - she coughs over and over again.

As my profile name suggests - I am a registered nurse - and would never suggest all children can go without medication. I have seen that terrified look in a child's eyes when they can not get the air they need. I simply meant that some parents may not consisder alternative sources of triggers or allergens. And how our society relys on medication to be a magic solution to everything. (Without looking at diet, environment, etc.) I think each case needs to be evaluated individually. How severe are the symptoms? In our case - they definately need attention; but are not life threatening. If she was having ACUTE ATTACKS - I would medicate first, and evaluate other things second. I feel like in our situation we can start with diet, environment - using medication only if needed.

Did you find that chiropractic, cranio-sacral &/or nasal rinses more useful than diet changes? Equally helpful?

By the way - we are treating the current infection w/ antibiotic, prednisone and albuterol nebulizer. She is feeling better and not having the coughing jags.

We started talking today about making diet changes - talking about what she would like to eat; asking before just getting something and making sure she tells us about anything she eats when she is not with us. She seems to be ok with it. And I talked to my parents today. SO now I need to talk to the school and others who watch her.

#15 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Hi there,

I'm struggling with healing my 7 yr old who was diagnosed w/asthma at age 2.5, after several trips to the ER. I haven't got our act figured out so can't offer to much advice there. I have another dd, age 1.5, who has several food allergies or intolerances, and I can't believe the wide range of problems that causes. I can testify to the benefits of doing gut healing on overall health, especially as it pertains to food problems, so would second many of the above suggestions.

Our DD was to the hospital several times, admitted once, and on oral steroids twice one, year, once for 2 more years. Once we FINALLY got to see a specialist, a pediatric pulmonologist, he helped her get stable and she hasn't been to the ER since. I'd like to share something he told us, not sure if it is true or not. He was my hero for a long time, but the point I'm at in my life now is I really don't trust ANY western medicine practitioners at all, and go to them when I have no alternative or to rule something out. But he told us that a year's worth of inhaled steroids had about as much systemic weight as one week of oral steroids, and that are goal should be to avoid the oral, and that more than once a year was a heavy load of steroids for a child. Our dd has been on inhaled steroids for preventative measures, and we up that at the first sign of a cold, and it has helped us stay ahead of the game -she doesn't need to go on oral steroids ever or go to the ER. So we feel that in doing that we have minimized significantly the steroid load on her little body. We are in the process of trying to figure out potential food allergies and have her on some gut healing measures.

I'm curious about the possible dairy allergy thing. Have you noticed a correlation between the dairy and her symptoms? It seems all are assuming she has a dairy allergy since you mentioned it, and I guess I am not sure, but I wonder the same thing about my dd and tried to get her off of dairy but we didn't really stick to it because we had a chiro do muscle testing on her and tell us dairy wasn't a problem for her. No hx of ear infections but she does have one very plugged ear and get constipated badly.

I feel for you and her.

Good luck. Hang with us for a while, learn some stuff, keep us updated.

Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#16 of 21 Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=croleRN;13396092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Take her out of the poison ivy patch she's playing in immediately, or wait a while longer?

Wow - That seems a bit harsh! I am not actively giving her milk,cheese, yogurt, etc - I haven't started eliminating "hidden dairy" sources. And I haven't had a chance to discuss my thoughts w/ her teacher, my parents, etc - other people who feed her and care for her at times. - Really - I just started talking to DD about it. She needs to understand what we are doing before I totally change her lifestyle. She is an intelligent little girl. She will be on board much better if she understands completely and has a moment to prepare. Otherwise - I will see her not being "Compliant" with it (sneaking food, not telling me what she's eaten, etc.)
Not to mention I don't even "know" it's dairy. That's just a guess. It could be eggs or wheat or additives? I'm trying to make the best guess I can - by educating myself, observation of when she eats what foods - does she have any symptoms.

I appreciate all the thoughts, advice and yes, even criticism. This is a totally new arena for me. None of my family has food allergies (that we know of). So I am learning... A LOT.
I didn't mean to be harsh, but you said you thought it was a food allergy, and mentioned that it might be dairy. But then made it sound like you didn't really want to try it. So I was trying to equate it with something a little more obvious, like poison ivy. A lot of mothers do have a good hunch about what the food might be. And if you do want to see if it will help her, then there's no time like the present, in my book. Start a (very detailed) food journal. If she's old enough, have her write down what she eats. Maybe she'd like a little detective work.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#17 of 21 Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Your daughter has taste/texture issues with foods, is sensitive to the feel of some clothing, seems to be sick a lot, and your doc is worried about an underlying asthma problem.

I think you should read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...7518867&sr=8-1

It draws together health problems that are common among many of us, detoxification issues and gut health and inflammation, and explains how they will manifest in different ways in different people, asthma being one of them (and even if this isn't asthma, it really isn't normal or healthy, which is why you're problem-solving).

It is extraordinarily relevant to my life, because I have detoxification problems and my kids' health is directly affected, it is the reason we're on this board. My son gets sick quite a lot, I've had to work really hard on nutrition (foods to take out, foods to add in, and lots of supplements) to bolster his immune system. Vitamin D and zinc are huge, A is big too.

On a practical level--dairy is a problem for almost everyone on this board, and it's highly correlated to EIs. Chiropractic and/or cranial-sacral can help if there are additional structural issues that are contributing, some people need to deal with things both ways before they'll see a change. Starting with dairy is easier.
#18 of 21 Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Your daughter has taste/texture issues with foods, is sensitive to the feel of some clothing, seems to be sick a lot, and your doc is worried about an underlying asthma problem.

I think you should read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...7518867&sr=8-1

It draws together health problems that are common among many of us, detoxification issues and gut health and inflammation, and explains how they will manifest in different ways in different people, asthma being one of them (and even if this isn't asthma, it really isn't normal or healthy, which is why you're problem-solving).

It is extraordinarily relevant to my life, because I have detoxification problems and my kids' health is directly affected, it is the reason we're on this board. My son gets sick quite a lot, I've had to work really hard on nutrition (foods to take out, foods to add in, and lots of supplements) to bolster his immune system. Vitamin D and zinc are huge, A is big too.

On a practical level--dairy is a problem for almost everyone on this board, and it's highly correlated to EIs. Chiropractic and/or cranial-sacral can help if there are additional structural issues that are contributing, some people need to deal with things both ways before they'll see a change. Starting with dairy is easier.
Nodding in agreement with everything Tanya said, including the book rec and the dairy issue. It's very rare for an atopic child to NOT have problems with dairy. Let me see if I can link to a poll
#19 of 21 Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

I actually just picked this up at our library - so I'll pull it to the top of the pile.
Ir really caught my attention. I've glanced through it - but I'd love to really read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

#20 of 21 Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
One more thing, sensory issues are often related to gluten and dairy.
In our case it was salicylates. Since DS has been doing so well back on dairy and eggs I'm rethinking the wheat right now. Not so sure what we're going to do about that given he does have a celiac gene and a gluten sensitive gene...
#21 of 21 Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Many synthetic vitamins esp. vitamin A palmitate, are also highly reactive.
I've been reading Feingold information and this is because vitamin A palmitate is preserved with BHT's... which doesn't have to be on the label. This is why Feingold recommends whole milk which doesn't have vitamin A added as BHT can cause a multitude of reactions including behavior, digestive, skin, asthma, etc.

This is VERY interesting to me. Esp. since I have heard so many many stories in my raw milk coop... wondering if some dairy reactions are actually a reaction to the preservative! Extremely small traces have been shown to elict reactions in sensitive kids.

(obviously if you are IgE to dairy you are allergic period, talking about "sensitivities" and "intolerances" here.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page