how long before benadryl reduces swelling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd was exposed to nuts and sunflower seeds for the first time today and had a reaction. Swelling upper lip. Maybe a little overall swelling elsewhere (belly, etc).

We have a known dairy allergy. Allergist recommended benadryl for mild reactions - defined as skin itching, rash/hives, or swelling as in her lips, face or around eyes. Epi pen for more pronounced and protracted symptoms consistent with anaphylaxis.

I gave her benadryl at least 30 minutes ago, almost 45, and the swelling of her lip is still there. Is that normal? How long should the benadryl take?

Once the swelling is gone, is it ok to let her go to sleep? What if the swelling comes back or comes back worse while she is asleep? It is already her bedtime, but I do not feel comfortable letting her go to sleep yet.

Ugh! I hate this!
#2 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 PM

I've not dealt with swollen lip, but have used benadryl for hives/asthma with allergen exposure. I am most concerned with symptoms not progressing (is swelling getting worse). It sometimes takes awhile for symptoms to go away completely (we had swollen eyes once for almost 12 hours). The benadryl is probably making her tired. For my DD, it would be worse to keep her awake as she would get upset, setting off more of a reaction. It is a good excuse for you to go to sleep with her. That way you would be there for any distress (coughing, wheezing).
#3 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbinsc View Post
I've not dealt with swollen lip, but have used benadryl for hives/asthma with allergen exposure. I am most concerned with symptoms not progressing (is swelling getting worse). It sometimes takes awhile for symptoms to go away completely (we had swollen eyes once for almost 12 hours). The benadryl is probably making her tired. For my DD, it would be worse to keep her awake as she would get upset, setting off more of a reaction. It is a good excuse for you to go to sleep with her. That way you would be there for any distress (coughing, wheezing).

Ok, it has not progressed. She is playing and having fun right now, but I know she is tired. She is usually in bed by now.

I can NOT go to sleep this early. I have stuff I have to take care of before I can go to sleep. But we do co-sleep (I sleep in her full sized bed).
#4 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM

With my kids, it takes about 24 hours worth of doses for facial swelling to go down. What works faster for swelling is corticosterioids.
#5 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

now she vomitted!

We just took a shower, now the swelling is a little less I think
#6 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM

The vomiting would scare me. I'd call the ped or allergist to check in. It may be nothing, or it may be a delayed reaction. Hope she is OK.
#7 of 12 Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know anything about this, but having to worry about something like this for your child would be really scary.
#8 of 12 Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 AM

I'm allergic to benadryl so I'm no help there, but just wanted to send speedy get well wishes to your little one! My kiddos have had some reactions and it's just so hard to deal with. Hugs momma!

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#9 of 12 Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM

How is she today?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 12 Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

today she seems fine.

I took her to daycare and explained what happened and asked them to give her benadryl if the swelling returns.

She had some pieces off a granola bar that had peanuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Should we just avoid them all, or should I have a SPT done to see for sure which one(s) it was she reacted to?
#11 of 12 Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may want to test to see if it's nuts or seeds or both. Sesame seeds are surprisingly allergenic and sometimes people wouldn't think of them, and it'd be good to know if you need to avoid them too. Hummus is a fairly normal dip to have around little kids.
#12 of 12 Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbinsc View Post
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page