Happy Spring!! Chat thread: March 21 - 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, a big : HAPPY SPRING TO EVERYONE! :

Welcome to any and all of the newcomers. We hope you enjoy what this forum has to offer, although we are always sad to see new people who are struggling with the same challenges.
Detox links:
Sticky with most
ellasmama's bile thread
mtn. mama's KP thread
whoMe's sulfur sensitivity thread
whoMe's step by step detox

If you haven't already, please go weigh in on Nimbus' ELISA test poll.
Also of possible interest for the season is Kathy's Easter Treats thread. What are YOU doing for Easter? How is it handled in your house?

My chronic note to myself to get my supplements unpacked: kortner's supplements thread.

Last but not least, here's last week's thread.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM

thanks!

sleep thread

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT:
Newest whoMe thread!!

Also, a thread I started this morning re: vitamin E (to which I'll be adding over the next little while).

ETA: Cross-posted with whoMe.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 PM

wow, you're fast!

#5 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

It's only because I posted my new thread the minute before you posted yours.

#6 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It seems unlikely that the use of small amounts of sauerkraut as a condiment or several servings of steamed crucifers per week would exert adverse effects on the thyroid, and it is possible—though far from proven—that small amounts of the goitrogenic chemicals within them do in fact have some health benefits. At the same time, it may be wise for the nursing mother to practice strict moderation in the consumption of crucifers or to be sure to obtain extra iodine in the diet from the liberal use of fish and seaweed if she consumes them regularly, to insure that her infant obtains optimal amounts of iodine from her milk.

According to the United States Department of Agriculture, green vegetables retain most of their nutrients when we boil them and drain the water. They do lose, however, 45 percent of the vitamin C, 20 percent of the thiamin and 40 percent of the folate.42 If one makes liberal use of crucifers on a daily basis it may be wise to boil them rather than steaming them, especially if one has any signs of thyroid problems. This is especially true of Brussels sprouts, which produce much higher levels of cyanide-generating nitriles than the other crucifers.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...crucifers.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM

focus

#8 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Wait wait wait... You start a thread about focusing and how to increase your ability to focus and then say "Don't post about anything else, keep this thread focused" ?
Does anyone else see the irony?

#9 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I've read that the goiterogenic properties of crucifers can be overcome with increased nutrients - iodine and something else.

#10 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Wait wait wait... You start a thread about focusing and how to increase your ability to focus and then say "Don't post about anything else, keep this thread focused" ?
Does anyone else see the irony?
That's not what I said! I said uncomplicated!

#11 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Neveryoumindthere's quote from the old thread:
Quote:
Kathy, I'm looking into Septra too except I'm nursing a 5month old--and likely I won't be able to get it until Monday by goin in to the clinic (or my dr) again

The macrobid I was prescribed, even in tablets has lactose, so I don't know what to do. Dh is saying to just take it and deal with ds' (and my own) reaction. What do you guys think?
I'm going to go out and get some D-mannose first and give it until Monday.
Dh is ticked off at me for putting it (the abx) off for so long, and really it's ridiculous to pee straight pink/red blood, but I don't want to go on abx!!!
The Septra says on the side to tell your doctor if you plan on becoming pregnant while on it, so I don't know how safe it is for BFing. Look it up first. I think you need the abx if you're peeing blood. Really. The D-mannose didn't work for me. I was taking 2 capsules every 2-3 hours. And Vitamin C. And saurkraut and probiotics. The doctor said it might have worked for someone who didn't have retention issues. And it's a good preventative. But once it takes hold, it's hard to get rid of. Please see SOMEONE if you're peeing blood. You really don't want it in your kidneys. I've had a few kidney infections, and they are anything buy pleasant.

I'm still an itchy rash. I took Zyrtec and I put on some anti-itch gel. It's horrible on my stomach. Hot and itchy. The question is about my immune system. About 5 or 6 years ago, I became allergic to bacitracin and neosporin. Now I'm allergic to Cipro which I've been on plenty before. Is my immune system in overdrive? I thought with adrenal fatigue, you had a depressed immune system, no?

People should be arriving soon for DD2's birthday party. Better put the laptop away. I made another batch of fig newtons today but they're for dessert so I haven't tried them yet. I think they'll be better than the first batch. I'll keep you posted.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#12 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I''m not nursing, but my whole family has been on such a raw (shredded) cabbage kick these days! (With Mexican food) I had thyroid issues during my last preg, tho. Seriously, do I have to worry about everything!?!

About 6 weeks ago, it was suggested that I go off of gluten and dairy as I have GI issues and symptoms of intolerance to both. And while I eat that way at home(GF/CF)--not so much away from home. So here's the problem: Since I was told that, all I want is gluten foods! And I'm having such a mental issue with this! Any tips to get beyond this contrariness? (I know there's a term for this in psychology, but can't for the life of me recall...)
Please say I'm not the only one who has done this!
I so need to get a grip!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#13 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:37 PM

http://www.understand-andcure-anxiet...depression.com
not for the easily overwhelmed and distracted.

#14 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM

After going back and forth on it, I finally went to get the macrobid filled. I talk to 2 pharmacists, and find out that tablets have no gelatin but they do have lactose. Again I go back and forth, do some other shopping and then went back to the pharmacy and said ok fill it. I thought, I'll just deal with the rxn. He goes to fill it and I remind him that I want tablets, not capsules and he says "Oh i can't switch it. they are not interchangeable. I have to call the doctor. You have to wait till Monday" :
I do believe everything happens for a reason and that I am either being led to another way to heal or being protected from something harmful.

So, I got the D-mannose powder. I'm doing 1 tsp every couple hrs, plus the VitC, dandelion root tea, cranberry extract (1000+ mg) and probiotics 3x a day
Within a couple hours pink pee is virtually gone
tomorrow morning i'll re-evaluate
I will keep u posted. Thanks so much for your concern Kathy (and everyone else)

and from the last thread
Quote:
SB doesn't like us to drink plain ole' water. Structured water (ie, mineral water) is allowed. But, the nutritive liquids are preferable.

What about decaf green tea with honey? (and lemon)
Pat
Where would I get mineral water? And what are nutritive liquids? :

I think I will likely do most of my water intake with my teas (licorice, dandelion, milk thistle, nettles) but when I find out what the above things are, I'll try that too

oh and is there some mysterious biochemical reason for me hating to drink water, that I'm missing?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#15 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:39 PM

continuing these over here so the thread police don't get us...

Quote:
CS, the perfect home is coming to you. Visualize exactly what you want.

Let me see if I can find our house hunting LoA story.

Pat
Pat- your story totally gave me the chills. I hope hope hope hope HOPE that our story ends up that perfect. Wait, I mean- our story WILL end up that perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I must confess that I'm confused. What nuts?
The left one and the right one!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#16 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 PM

never- I hate water too. I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink it all day.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#17 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Who has the coppery hair?

"Hair levels of copper are not very helpful in detecting increased body copper because of external contamination. If contamination is ruled out, hair copper is suggestive of body state."

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C514620.html

(and a prize to anyone who can guess what I'm tring to figure out right now...)

#18 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
oh and is there some mysterious biochemical reason for me hating to drink water, that I'm missing?
I've always liked plain (room temp) water best. When pg, water was one of my few aversions (!?!). In light of the taste tests and electrolyte balance, my working theory of the moment is that when plain water is yucky, there are minerals we need? And hydrating without those minerals will throw us further out of balance? Of course, that's assuming it doesn't taste bad due to something obvious. Like swamp water. That *should* taste gross!

#19 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
You have to wait till Monday"
:

Quote:
I do believe everything happens for a reason and that I am either being led to another way to heal or being protected from something harmful.
:

Quote:
So, I got the D-mannose powder. I'm doing 1 tsp every couple hrs, plus the VitC, dandelion root tea, cranberry extract (1000+ mg) and probiotics 3x a day

Quote:
Where would I get mineral water? And what are nutritive liquids?
mineral water is bottled water from natural mineral springs from somewhere in the world. Often, from Europe. Usually available in glass bottles at the regular grocery store, Costco, or health food store.

Nutritive liquids are teas, bone broth, kefir, green juices, smoothies, soups.

Pat

I have a blog.
#20 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Pat- your story totally gave me the chills. <snip> Wait, I mean- our story WILL end up that perfect.
Ok, here is our other LoA story from 2006. :

Quote:
In December, we visited Disney and I heard the Fairy Godmother in the Disney parade say 'If you believe, all your dreams will come true.' But, THIS VISIT, on the heels of The Secret, I believed!

And about 3 weeks before, I had a dream that someone knocked on our front door and offered dh a new job with a LOT of money. I told him about it and he said 'yes, I want someone to knock on the door and offer me a job with a lot of money!!'. He REALLY wanted that! And the next Wednesday, dh told me that a former colleague had called him and said that one of his company's managers would call dh about a huge management position (in town!!). Then, they offered him the job, which he accepted with a LOT of money, a great job, no moving required and limited travel necessary!! He had wanted to change jobs for several years, and not until he was open to receiving from the Universe did the dream come true.

So, all you need to do is Believe!
Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Pat - hugs to you, I hope things take a turn for the better.

Thank you for posting that. My new found love for sauerkraut just got squashed....especially since I'm not eating any iodine. I think it's time to trial the dried kelp I have!!

according to this

a 1/4 cup would be almost double the amount I need daily.
#22 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
Pat - hugs to you, I hope things take a turn for the better.

Thank you for posting that. My new found love for sauerkraut just got squashed....especially since I'm not eating any iodine. I think it's time to trial the dried kelp I have!!

according to this

a 1/4 cup would be almost double the amount I need daily.
Be aware that the RDA for iodine is actually REALLY low.

#23 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I've read that the goiterogenic properties of crucifers can be overcome with increased nutrients - iodine and something else.

JaneS posted the link, so I'm notably concerned with the information. However, I wonder, if the rats fed high doses of the cruciferous vegetables, in the absence of a balanced diet of other essential nutrients is the variable resulting in detox (goiter) concern. One of the "problems" with scientific research is the isolation of a single variable from the "whole". From what we are learning about detox pathways, the cruciferous vegetables are *important* to open both Phase I and Phase II liver detox pathways. http://www.gmhc.org/health/nutrition/liver/food.html

My premise is that a bunch of goitrogens toxins IS an issue, in isolation. It doesn't necessarily follow that when the other *essential* nutrients to maintain open detox pathways are present (B6, B12, folate, magnesium, zinc, carotenoids, flavonoids, selenium, vit C, vit E, glutathione, lycopene, beta-carotene, sulfur, methionine, glutathione, lecithin, lutein, omega-3 fatty acids, etc. etc.), that the same outcomes occur.

I agree a diet of only cruciferous vegetables probably could be detrimental to health, probably.

Pat

I have a blog.
#24 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Be aware that the RDA for iodine is actually REALLY low.
are you trying to give the girl online induced hypothyroid depression?

(ignore extraneous facts and just encourage whole food supplements. )

Pat

I have a blog.
#25 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
are you trying to give the girl online induced hypothyroid depression?

(ignore extraneous facts and just encourage whole food supplements. )

Pat
Not in the least. It's just something that I think the population in general should be aware of considering the whole fear-mongering that I heard as I was growing up about getting "TOO MUCH IODINE". :
I think that when another population in the world is ingesting 10 to 20 times the amount of iodine as our own population with considerably lower rates of cancer (although their heart and stroke rates are increasing as Western foods become more prevalent) and our own population is being advised to be careful not to induce various forms of illness (hyperthyroidism or, from what I've read, TEMPORARY hypothyroidism) by supplementing iodine, the advice needs to come under serious scrutiny.
But that's my own opinion. : Just something each individual has to research and decide for themselves, I guess.

#26 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM

JR:

Pat

I have a blog.
#27 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
:

:

mineral water is bottled water from natural mineral springs from somewhere in the world. Often, from Europe. Usually available in glass bottles at the regular grocery store, Costco, or health food store.

Nutritive liquids are teas, bone broth, kefir, green juices, smoothies, soups.

Pat
nak

Pat (or anyone else),
I'm trying my best to be positive, but am looking for info, in case. The dr's office wouldn't tell me what type of bacteria was in the urine culture. I know 90% of the time it is e.coli, but when I was pg with ds i had gbs in my urine and went on abx (dont even remember which one)

they just said Macrobid is the 'right' abx to be on for the bacteria present..as far as I've read, macrobid is 'proven' for e.coli and staph.
Am wondering though, if it also could be gbs.
Is D-mannose only effective on e.coli?

With GBS, would the protocol be the same or would you add/subtract/change anything?

i know i'm not making sense, hard to concentrate atm

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#28 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM

I'd increase lactobacillus and drink kefir. Both help UTI, from my understanding.

Pat

I have a blog.
#29 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Holy moley, I actually get almost all my dishes washed and my counters cleaned and you guys write up a storm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
About 6 weeks ago, it was suggested that I go off of gluten and dairy as I have GI issues and symptoms of intolerance to both. And while I eat that way at home(GF/CF)--not so much away from home. So here's the problem: Since I was told that, all I want is gluten foods! And I'm having such a mental issue with this! Any tips to get beyond this contrariness? (I know there's a term for this in psychology, but can't for the life of me recall...)
Please say I'm not the only one who has done this!
I so need to get a grip!
It may not be a psychological thing so much as a physical thing. Gluten and casein can really mess with us, and going off can actually be hard. I would absolutely not be able to eat them part-time right now, both because little amounts mess with me almost as much as large amounts, and the cravings would be crazy! As it was, it took me about 6 months of gfcf before I started having real food cravings that I think were fairly related to my actual health needs. So maybe you're not being so much a rebellious wimp as your body is trying to adjust to this in a more physical way.

Quote:
I will keep u posted. Thanks so much for your concern Kathy (and everyone else)
Consider setting up a few doses on your bedside table overnight--I think it's more likely you'll be able to if you keep supporting your body overnight.

Quote:
Who has the coppery hair?

"Hair levels of copper are not very helpful in detecting increased body copper because of external contamination. If contamination is ruled out, hair copper is suggestive of body state."

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C514620.html

(and a prize to anyone who can guess what I'm trying to figure out right now...)
I need to look it up after the kids are in bed, but I think Cutler argues that high hair copper is mostly accurate, he doesn't think external contamination (either at the lab or because of life (washing, and whatnot) is very common--he thinks the washing of the hair at the lab is enough to make this not a big problem). But I need to double-check.

Quote:
Ok, here is our other LoA story from 2006. :

Pat
LoA is what got our house sold. It sounds so weird, but we had a major change in attitude, my husband and I, and we worked on visualizing a buyer who would love the house. I mean--it'd been on the market for about 10 months in that time period, and we never came close to selling it. We had to temper our vision with practicality (to make it work in our minds) so we visualized someone seeing it after Christmas, and someone did, and now it's sold. Strange as it sounds, this is our plan to sell this house and get my husband a great job in Colorado. We're having trouble with him expecting/visualizing a great job, vs an okay job (his current job is really negative, so okay is a huge step up) but this is the plan (plus networking and sending out resumes ).

Quote:
Quote:
JaneS posted the link, so I'm notably concerned with the information. However, I wonder, if the rats fed high doses of the cruciferous vegetables, in the absence of a balanced diet of other essential nutrients is the variable resulting in detox (goiter) concern. One of the "problems" with scientific research is the isolation of a single variable from the "whole". From what we are learning about detox pathways, the cruciferous vegetables are *important* to open both Phase I and Phase II liver detox pathways. http://www.gmhc.org/health/nutrition/liver/food.html

My premise is that a bunch of goitrogens toxins IS an issue, in isolation. It doesn't necessarily follow that when the other *essential* nutrients to maintain open detox pathways are present (B6, B12, folate, magnesium, zinc, carotenoids, flavonoids, selenium, vit C, vit E, glutathione, lycopene, beta-carotene, sulfur, methionine, glutathione, lecithin, lutein, omega-3 fatty acids, etc. etc.), that the same outcomes occur.

I agree a diet of only cruciferous vegetables probably could be detrimental to health, probably.

Pat
My thinking was going in the same direction, though especially the detoxification part was intriguing--I accept that some of the things that increase phase 1 detoxification are bad, but I'm not sure I'm ready to accept that they're all bad, yk?

Groups who consume a lot of iodine can consume almost 100x what we typically do, which is a huge variation for a mineral. This seems like it may be similar to the toxicity of vitamin A / cod liver oil is bad, discussion. Higher intake of A, above a certain level, seems to correlate with problems like fractures, but D deficiency is huge, and A and D need to be in balance, and since it's becoming harder and harder to get D (in the typical diet/lifestyle out there) then a relationship shows up as A is bad, when in reality, it's an overall deficient diet/lifestyle. Given how many types of brassicas we've developed--lots and lots of types of cabbages, broccolis, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, more I'm missing I'm sure, people have put a lot of time and effort into this group of vegetables, a lot of different people around the world. And if there's such a thin line between healthful and harmful, well, I can't yet wrap my mind around that, but I'm going to re-read the article.
#30 of 468 Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM

pat your house story gave me chills too! pat, does it even make any sense that ella reacted to 2 sep trials of mineral water?! i dont understand. and that was when we were doing well.

cs, im invisioning you buying a .....(wait for it)........BEE FARM!!!!

tanya, for your dh's job hunt::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page