Chat Thread: April 4th to 10th - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
DP went out and got me some wine tonight. I'm having a really hard time with the stress this week, and really need to unwind (going with the Kathy method of stress relieving here. ) I told him to look for vegan and/or organic red wine, and he actually found some certified organic syrah at TJ's. (I'm surprised because organic is somewhat harder to find. Usually, it's "organically grown" which is totally different.) And it even lists ingredients! Only organic grapes, so I feel pretty good about it.
Mine isn't stress relief. It's pain relief!! Of course when DH is on night shift, I don't drink at all (which we're in the middle of; spring break with 3 kids home all week and the dog, and our bedroom is right off the kitchen; try keeping them quiet all day long, oy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
ok you know what? I'm not ready to let go of my first fear.
hmmm. I think I need to sit on that for a little bit.
sigh.
ok here it is -
Sometimes what I dream comes true. I wish it was the fairy/Disney sort of way, but it is not. Before I was pregnant, I dreamed that my firstborn died. I've never been able to let it go. How do I? Now I know that not all of my dreams come true, but some truly sad and scary ones have. One event recently happened that repeated scenes from a dream about my recently failed friendship. I remember dreaming what I am about, or just experienced - like deja vu, but not quite. I dreamed it years ago.
Now I've been carrying this fear about my son's death around me for over 6 years. I need to let it go.
I hear you. I have that deja vu-ish thing from dreams a lot. And I don't worry about DD1 for some reason but I've always been petrified of something happening to DS. I think it was because he broke his collarbone coming into the world, and even though he was 9.5 lbs, he was projectile vomiting from birth and he seemed so fragile because of all the digestive issues and stuff. But I'm not worried about THAT stuff. I'm worried about a horrible accident or someone stealing him. Whenever he's away from me, I think something is going to happen. I can't let that fear go either. Though I'd like to. I need to let something go during the waning moon but I don't know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
ooh, that sounds wonderful! im gonna have 1 drink for easter, i really really want one. actually, i cant wait - im so excited for it (check your pathetic-meters people, this one's off the charts). i didnt know if i should try a wine or maybe try that rum you had on new years (was it mt. gay light-colored rum?). what brand of wine is it? i wonder if i can find it... im kindof in the boonies here, i miss having my whole foods right around the corner in nj.
wasnt there some concern with wine and corn or was it just wine and eggs? im so willing to have some wine, it's not even funny (im gonna have such a headache!!)
I thought it was wine and eggs (for clarifying).

I'm baking for a bake sale in the morning and I'm making chocolate chip cookies (so DH and DD1 can have some). I'm drooling on my computer. It smells so good in here. And a pie. It's so unfair. Sniff. Sniff.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#362 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
i'm thinking it's the b6. shit. :

okay. i need to figure out a b complex situation that doesn't involve folic acid. or do i say eff it, and get a pre-made complex and then just take extra folate to compensate for the folic acid? you know, i'm just assuming i have that stupid MTHFR mutation given all the ways my body has failed me in my life, but perhaps I need to put that on hold, just try a B complex and see how that goes? on the flip side, I have a bottle of B6 and a bottle biotin already in my house. why don't i just get the rest of the b vits and have a vit B party every morning. woo.
I've got individual B's. I tried crushing pills/splitting capsules to fill my own capsules and make my own b complex, but now I'm wondering if part of my trouble right now is not getting the proportions right. Back to the B party

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I can't help with that (the folate issue, I mean), wait... okay, I double-checked. I guess everyone should look to the supps that are aimed at the ASD world in order to find folate. There is a lot to pull back from that world to the middle world most of us are in.
That's a really good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok. Here's a TMI question.

When I'm not attempting to find bowel tolerance for vitamin C I have constipation. I've had it since my daughter was born. It seems worse since I started taking the B vitamins.

Is this some kind of blocked pathway thing? What's the poop pathway?
Some things that I know of that slow poop: (low) serotonin, (something) dopamine, (high) progesterone, (low) thyroid

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#363 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
ooh, that sounds wonderful! im gonna have 1 drink for easter, i really really want one. actually, i cant wait - im so excited for it (check your pathetic-meters people, this one's off the charts). i didnt know if i should try a wine or maybe try that rum you had on new years (was it mt. gay light-colored rum?). what brand of wine is it? i wonder if i can find it... im kindof in the boonies here, i miss having my whole foods right around the corner in nj.
wasnt there some concern with wine and corn or was it just wine and eggs? im so willing to have some wine, it's not even funny (im gonna have such a headache!!)
Yep, that was the rum I had. And the wine tonight is just Trader Joe Reserves brand- it's a petite syrah. And it is DELISH. Seriously. I don't remember the last time I had a glass of wine. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, like Kathy said it's wine and eggs. But as far as I know, that's just for white wines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Mine isn't stress relief. It's pain relief!! Of course when DH is on night shift, I don't drink at all (which we're in the middle of; spring break with 3 kids home all week and the dog, and our bedroom is right off the kitchen; try keeping them quiet all day long, oy).
I know, I know. I hope you know that I'm totally joking with you. I'm all about the self-medicating over here. If DD didn't react to every ingredient in every alcoholic beverage known to man, I would be indulging more often.

That really is unfair about the pie and cookies.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#364 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

I still have an hour and a half before I "have" to get my release ritual thoughts in, right?
Friday nights are chat nights with another group I participate in and then I usually spend some time with DH... and then I'm reading 3 books too.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#365 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 AM

WHAT?!? You have other friends besides us? :

#366 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 AM

So much I would like to send.

As the moon wans, I am sending away my: fear of lead paint in (and surrounding) our house and garden, worry over DS's well being, anxiety over our food, and most of all self doubt.

I am safe in my home. We are safe in our home. Our garden will grow safe and nutrient-dense whole food. DS is healthy. All is well. Our food is nourishing and wonderful. I am confident in my abilities and choices.
#367 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
WHAT?!? You have other friends besides us? :

: But but... I don't LOVE them!!

As the moon wanes, I release all fear for my mom's well being and annoyance with situations outside my control.
DS2 is still up because he had a late nap and DH is refusing to do anything with him because I am the one who put him down for a nap. I'll see you ladies tomorrow.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#368 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 AM

I have to get this out...I went to a baby shower last night. 10 women. This is the woman's 4th (and she gave away everything after the 3rd so it was just a little shower to help her along). Her 3 kids are the same age as my 3 and have always been in classes together, so I've known her for about 10 years and I knew most of the other women from preschool, etc. But they were talking last night and I had my tongue firmly lodged between my teeth. One woman was talking about how she didn't know pneumonia could be viral but 4 out of the 6 people had it at her house this winter and when the last one had gotten it, she went to the ped. every day for 8 days until they gave him abx. After she just said it was the VIRAL version. Then her son had a reaction to the abx. Then another women said how horrible it was and that you have to LIE to get abx when they have an ear infection, and just to tell them that they have a fever, etc. etc. to make it sound worse so you can get the abx. And then they started talking about infants, and fully half of them said that their kids were projectile vomiters since birth. The lady whose house it was at had 2 great danes, and they were really gaseous. And one woman actually suggested that they might have a problem with their food and she said no, dogs were just gaseous (my raw food diet dog isn't) and she feeds them bologna with their food every meal (4x day). And then a few of them were talking about eczema and which creams were best. And how this winter was horrible for viruses and ear infections and pneumonia and all (my kids haven't caught a single cold I don't think). And they all looked at me like I had three heads when I said I couldn't eat the cake because of food intolerances. These women were all PTO/Board of Ed members and I didn't want to alienate myself. I didn't know if I should have said something or what. The lady who's shower it was has 3 kids already with tons of ear infections. Her son was just diagnosed with asthma. And her youngest (my DD2's age) has fallen off the growth charts. And I've already mentioned to her a couple times about food intolerances, and trying to take the kids off dairy. People IRL just don't listen to me. I feel so ineffective most times. Just wanted to get it off my chest. It was really bugging me last night.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#369 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I have to get this out...I went to a baby shower last night. 10 women. This is the woman's 4th (and she gave away everything after the 3rd so it was just a little shower to help her along). Her 3 kids are the same age as my 3 and have always been in classes together, so I've known her for about 10 years and I knew most of the other women from preschool, etc. But they were talking last night and I had my tongue firmly lodged between my teeth. One woman was talking about how she didn't know pneumonia could be viral but 4 out of the 6 people had it at her house this winter and when the last one had gotten it, she went to the ped. every day for 8 days until they gave him abx. After she just said it was the VIRAL version. Then her son had a reaction to the abx. Then another women said how horrible it was and that you have to LIE to get abx when they have an ear infection, and just to tell them that they have a fever, etc. etc. to make it sound worse so you can get the abx. And then they started talking about infants, and fully half of them said that their kids were projectile vomiters since birth. The lady whose house it was at had 2 great danes, and they were really gaseous. And one woman actually suggested that they might have a problem with their food and she said no, dogs were just gaseous (my raw food diet dog isn't) and she feeds them bologna with their food every meal (4x day). And then a few of them were talking about eczema and which creams were best. And how this winter was horrible for viruses and ear infections and pneumonia and all (my kids haven't caught a single cold I don't think). And they all looked at me like I had three heads when I said I couldn't eat the cake because of food intolerances. These women were all PTO/Board of Ed members and I didn't want to alienate myself. I didn't know if I should have said something or what. The lady who's shower it was has 3 kids already with tons of ear infections. Her son was just diagnosed with asthma. And her youngest (my DD2's age) has fallen off the growth charts. And I've already mentioned to her a couple times about food intolerances, and trying to take the kids off dairy. People IRL just don't listen to me. I feel so ineffective most times. Just wanted to get it off my chest. It was really bugging me last night.
Yeah I totally know where you are coming from. One mom actually asked me for "alternative" advice about ear infections. So I pointed her to a book on them but said she should try taking him off dairy. Fast forward a year and I hear she's thinking of getting him tubes.

Another mom has a daughter who has been a horrible sleeper and has gotten tons of ear infections. She eventually got tubes for her and she's still a horrible sleeper. But I know if I mentioned dairy she's just laugh. Listens to everything her doctor says and thinks all the alternative stuff is bunk.

It gets very frustrating on the one hand. On the other, who am I to speak? My daughter has digestive problems and gets sick all the time (colds & coughs) and my son is probably almost off the growth chart. So clearly I don't have answers.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#370 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM

kathy, i totally understand what you mean. it's especially difficult when you're trying to be helpful to friends you've had for years before dcs came along and they still kinda laugh you off as their crunchy oddball friend.
#371 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 PM

They don't even think I'm crunchy. There is one lady at preschool and her son was already off milk and eggs and peanuts (IgE w/ epipen), and she said his stomach was hurting all the time. I suggested gluten, which she immediately took him off of, and she said his stomachaches have all gone away. I talked to the father one day when he dropped the son off (my DD2 says their son is her boyfriend; at least they can eat together!) and he said his brother (the boy's uncle has celiac) but he also said he doesn't believe in intolerances. What? At least he's letting the wife control the diet then. I just don't get it. People lying to get abx? And they said they NEED to so that the doctors will listen. Ugh.

I just made some Russian tea cake cookies. Taste great, but they're falling apart really easily so I'll have to keep working on it. It's got almonds and sugar in it, so DS can't have them but they are dairy, egg, gluten, etc. free. If anyone wants to alter a batch a little and let me know how it works out, I'll send you the recipe so far...

#372 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Kathy- that is really hard to bite your tongue in those situations (at least it is for me!) And so sad that those poor kids don't have awesome mamas like us to help puzzle out their problems.

ellasmama- forgot to say earlier, sorry you guys aren't tolerating the pork. I thought you would feel my pain about this- I got into a LONG conversation with the guy from Slanker's yesterday (shocking, I know.) I called specifically to ask if they would make an exception to the minimum order so that I could just order a few pounds of pork to trial.... anyway, he proceeded to grill me about what I'm feeding DD, and explain (since of course I don't know anything about allergies myself...) that ALL allergies are the result of grains, because they cause fungal infections which release mytotoxins, and that is how allergies work. So if you stop eating grains, and grain-fed animals, you won't have allergies. And when I said that she has reacted to 100% grass-fed beef, he said well it obviously wasn't really grassfed. : And he completely ignored the word anaphylactic when I used it like 6 times. And THEN, after 10 minutes of that lecture, said that there was no way he could send out any less than 15 pounds. Because can you just imagine how much money they would lose if they let people do that? I'm like wow dude- do you understand that if you let me trial your meat and it worked, I would be ordering hundreds and hunreds of dollars of meat from you? I'm not asking you to let me order 3 pounds at a time every time. WHATEVER. I will order from someone else. (Although according to him, everyone selling grassfed meat is just lying because his is the only REAL grassfed meat.) I was so irritated after that phone call. I really want to order meat from them, but now I can't.... because I'm seriously grudgefull that way.

#373 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy,
I totally get where you're coming from. Just about every birthday party I take DS1 to (which isn't that many, since my SIL only has 4 kids ), I sit there and bite my tongue, listening to the moms going on and on about how they have to get their kids Ritalin, asthma medications, ear tubes, antibiotics blah blah blah and even how one mom was told by one doctor that she wouldn't be given antbx for her dc anymore (after getting 4 Rxs for atbx in 5 weeks), so she switched doctors. : All while they sit there eating pizza, drinking pop and listening to the kids talk about how they get McDonald's 4 days a week for lunch and other fast food for supper 5 days a week. WTH?! I never used to bite my tongue though, so I'm the social pariah.

#374 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 PM

CS: Have you tried http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com? They even have grass-fed goat and bison and lamb. It does say there's a 15 lb. minimum but maybe they have enough variety that you could order 15 lbs. in a variety of things?

Just realized it's one and the same as Slanker's. Sorry.

#375 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 03:19 PM

kathy, that social situation is so hard. i find myself in an insular circle of like-minded mama for protection. my skin's too thin. although i did say something the other day because it was about family... my niece who is 18m is apparently having blistering diaper rash, liquid poos and is passing undigested food. i in passing suggested it to my MIL "have they considered allergies?" MIL says oh no it's okay. WTF? It is NOT okay. And how quickly they forget. MIL suspected allergies for her kids when they were small, and even had DH on a wheat-free diet for awhile. BIL (niece's dad) had/has asthma. DH had recurrent ear infections then tubes as a kid. Other BIL has major skin issues and was just diagnosed with Crohn's at 27yo. Clearly there is a family history. Also, HELLO??? what does that say about us? have we gone through all of this for show? because we like hardship? grrroar.

margo, sorry about the pork. pork is tasty but is an issue for us too. there is a place around here who sells pastured pork that we seem to do okay on, but i only get it at the farmer's market in the summer, since i'm too lazy to place and order and drive to the other end of the county, apparently.

CS - that sounds like a frustrating conversation. if only he would have understood what you meant about one small order now equally lots of big ones later. customer service is so dead anymore.

we went to an easter egg hunt today. we were 10 minutes late and all 15 THOUSAND eggs had already been found. We were told it was tickets and coupons and not candy, and then it turned out to be 95% chocolate candies. So, on one hand, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. On the other, I'm sad for Lily. Although she did get a balloon sword (she's in a weapons & fighting stage, somehow ) and she got her picture taken with the easter bunny guy. Plus my brother and his LO were there, so we had family to play with. we're having my mom and brothers over tomorrow. i'm excited. i love hosting family get togethers.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#376 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
CS: Have you tried http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com? They even have grass-fed goat and bison and lamb. It does say there's a 15 lb. minimum but maybe they have enough variety that you could order 15 lbs. in a variety of things?

Just realized it's one and the same as Slanker's. Sorry.
lol- yep, one and the same. It really is disappointing, because they have all sorts of good stuff.

meno- sounds like a fun Easter day. Except missing out on the eggs. That's crazy that they were gone so fast!

#377 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

And on the heels of our letting go ritual last night... Good bye, last week's chat thread. Hello, new chat thread.

#378 of 378 Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm posting in this thread by principle

With the waning moon (and this morning's explosive diarrhea/last night's night terror) I am releasing all of our food reactions. We are going to properly nourish ourselves, and heal. Food reactions are just nutrient deficiencies. The actual food cause is irrelevant.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page