Chat Thread: April 4th to 10th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the time going? Only 7 more weeks until this bub is due! Which, of course, means it'll be here in 8 weeks since I'm expecting it to be here in 6. (And, yes, "it". I'm still in denial that it's ANOTHER boy. )

Last things first: last week's chat thread. Thank you so much, Tanya, for getting it up!

The requisites:
Detox sticky in H&H
Kortner's Supplements thread
MomofMine's Copper thread (so glad you added this, Tanya, I'd have totally lost it by this weekend)
whoMe's step by step detox
whoMe's sulfur sensitivity thread
ellasmama's bile thread
mtn mama's KP thread
I know some of them haven't been very active but I keep hoping people will post relevant information they find to them.
whoMe's focus thread
whoMe's sleep thread
Tanya's Planning thread

Emilysmama has started a thread to discuss which air filter is best for airborne allergies here.

I'm sure I'm missing a million things. I wanted to get everyone's "me" threads in too but I really need to get going on my day. Hoping to get my freezer inventory/cleaning done today so I can get a bunch of stuff for a freezer meal session tomorrow and get it done Monday (or something like that) so the boys don't starve while I'm having this new one.

I wrote this this morning but haven't been able to post it until now because there was something wrong with my internet connection and DH has been too busy to fix it.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Pat,
I really enjoyed reading about your spiritual path and beliefs in the recent vegetarian thread. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with all of us on this forum.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#3 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 05:48 PM

hehe, dd redirected dh to the park, so I have alone time in the house :

eta thanks for the new thread!
and I don't want to lose my mouth and tooth thread - *I* think it's really interesting! I *will* draw someone else in

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#4 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
hehe, dd redirected dh to the park, so I have alone time in the house :

eta thanks for the new thread!
and I don't want to lose my mouth and tooth thread - *I* think it's really interesting! I *will* draw someone else in
See? I knew I'd miss something. Thanks for the link. I forgot to add it this morning even though it was on my mental list.
DH kept asking "What're you doing ? What're you doing?" Sometimes he's as bad as the kids.
ETA: And other times, he's worse.

#5 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 PM

:

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#6 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
CS- no CLO here. When I dropped the TwinLabs, I started beta-carotene drops (for a few months, then switched to green juice) and high dose vitamin D and liquid K2. After everything I've read, and everywhere we've been, I don't think we'll go back to CLO.
Quote:
Can you talk about how you feel confident that you're converting the beta-carotene into A? I feel this deep doubt that I will ever be good at that--which is irrational, because it's normal to not convert when one has thyroid problems, but my thyroid's a heckuva lot better than it used to be, and will keep getting better and be great. But I am still skeptical that I can either get enough pre-formed A (ala Price in N&PD--do you think he's just really wrong on the preformed fat-soluble vitamins? would love to hear thoughts) from food or convert enough beta-carotene to be in good shape. So I'd love to hear a bit more about your journey.
I want to hear about this so much I'm transferring my question (2nd quote) to MtnMama's post (1st quote) just so it doesn't get lost!

whoMe--i feel not knowledgeable enough on the mouth/palate stuff to respond--I think I see a whole lot with my kids, to me it unifies Price's pictures of narrowing faces and pointy chins and narrow noses with the anterior and posterior tongue ties and not eating our lots of minerals and tons of fat-soluble vitamins to put the bone where it should be while we're developing, but I don't know of Price pics online (those family shots of the kids getting progressively narrower faces the younger they are is striking), and while to me it all makes sense, it's very visual and lacking quotable references. But that is a huge part of what makes this all come together for me (my unified theory of how we're going to get out of all this!).
#7 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Just made a new thread with chat links. Please pm me with any additions you'd like to see.

#8 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding the link whoMe just posted in Kortner's thread:
Anyone else ever feel like we're reinventing the wheel?

#9 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Just made a new thread with chat links. Please pm me with any additions you'd like to see.
Cool! But at first I was expecting links to interesting chat posts... Kind of like the cliffs notes version I'm not about to volunteer for that job, though

#10 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Who wants to sift the archives for all of Elisabeth's gems? Anyone?

#11 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
YES.
#12 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Hey, I regularly search her old stuff for topics I'm trying to learn on or puzzles I've got. Haven't ever written up notes, but I LOVE the Search function around here.
#13 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Although now that you mention it... if we searched for leaky, or detoxification or something like that, ... too many hits? maybe, or maybe really useful. Organizing it would be difficult... but difficult is not equal to impossible...
#14 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool! But at first I was expecting links to interesting chat posts... Kind of like the cliffs notes version I'm not about to volunteer for that job, though
That's still on my to do list.
This will give me a little more time to do the things on my to do list. It usually takes me a few hours to chase down the threads and post the links to the weekly chat thread (between trying to do that and chasing a toddler, as well as being constantly interrupted by a 9 yo and DH, making breakfast, blah blah... all that Saturday morning stuff). This way I only have one link to post, besides any which may be of more temporary interest, iykwim.

#15 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
YES.
I see this as reorganizing the wheel

Kind of like when you get a new job and the first step is to sort out the mess from the person behind you. And then you get motivated to be all organized so the *next* person doesn't have to sift through your mess. And then you settle in and don't realize how hard it would be to make sense of your organizational scheme...

#16 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about we find the lost Library of Alexandria while we're at it?

#17 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Although now that you mention it... if we searched for leaky, or detoxification or something like that, ... too many hits? maybe, or maybe really useful. Organizing it would be difficult... but difficult is not equal to impossible...
You know you can search by user, right? I am reserving my brainpower for detox biochemistry. If I tried to take on the archives, it'd set back our healing by years!

I'm already having trouble remembering what put the bug in my ear about taurine... Something to do with sulfation?

#18 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You know you can search by user, right? I am reserving my brainpower for detox biochemistry. If I tried to take on the archives, it'd set back our healing by years!

I'm already having trouble remembering what put the bug in my ear about taurine... Something to do with sulfation?
It wasn't what's his names cats, was it?

#19 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I wasn't joking when I said I've searched her stuff many, many times. Yeah, I search by username, I'm just glad it fills in so I don't have to figure out the funny o.

Hmm... let me see how this evening goes... I know that not everything worthwhile has been discussed here at MDC, but sometimes it feels like it's close. It's just a matter of finding it.
#20 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I wasn't joking when I said I've searched her stuff many, many times. Yeah, I search by username, I'm just glad it fills in so I don't have to figure out the funny o.

Hmm... let me see how this evening goes... I know that not everything worthwhile has been discussed here at MDC, but sometimes it feels like it's close. It's just a matter of finding it.
I totally hear you. It's like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes. And aren't the searches limited to the last few years now?

And no, the taurine wasn't Pottenger's cats. I feel like it was something more recent than that. Maybe bladder or salicylate related?

#21 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Going to deal with my freezer now. *sigh*
It's such a mess. Had a nice little break between it and mopping though.

#22 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Just with a quick look I saw stuff back as far as 2003, and the pull-down menu in the Advanced Search for year showed 2001 as a choice, so I think we're okay there. I need to think about this.
#23 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Just with a quick look I saw stuff back as far as 2003, and the pull-down menu in the Advanced Search for year showed 2001 as a choice, so I think we're okay there. I need to think about this.
Awesome. You're officially nominated!

#24 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM

subbing before I forget and miss the whole week's chat...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#25 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I want to hear about this so much I'm transferring my question (2nd quote) to MtnMama's post (1st quote) just so it doesn't get lost!
Tanya, you were asking about "how can I be sure that I can convert beta-carotene into vitamin A" and "if I think that WAP was wrong about pre-formed vitamins"...

I can't be sure. At this point my body seems to be able to absorb vitamin A
properly... or at least my crystal says I don't need to take any of the vitamin A/beta carotene supplements that I have around here.

We're eating a ton of dark leafy greens, plus broccoli, carrots, squash, liver...

I think that WAP was probably mostly right. But I also believe that the foods and supplements that are available to today's consumers is a different realm than when he did his research. Our soils are depleted, food is industrialized, supplements are manufactured.

Honestly, I'm flying through all of this by the seat of my pants, and while reading as much as I can manage, and asking professional opinions... mostly I'm just trying to meld all of it together, make somewhat educated choices and always following the crystals advice.

(As an aside: I think I went overboard on vitamin A for awhile by eating a mountain of sweet potatoes, which are no longer safe for us at this juncture. Don't know if that's really possibility, but it seems to have happened to us. Maybe now that my vitamin D dose has quadrupled, we could tolerate sweet potatoes again? Something I plan to investigate... because what is life without sweet potatoes?!)

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#26 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Something I plan to investigate... because what is life without sweet potatoes?!
Sort of like life without strawberries.

ETA: Strawberries are on sale this week and it's making me sad.

#27 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Sort of like life without strawberries.

ETA: Strawberries are on sale this week and it's making me sad.
It was a really, really sad summer last year, without strawberries. Now that we're eating them again, dd can't get enough, and it makes me so unbelievably happy to buy them for her at the farmer's market. All I can say is, this elimination stuff REALLY makes you appreciate food differently.

#28 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Sorry about the strawberries. They're kind of a double whammy, eh? High histamine (aren't they?) and all those damned seeds. Plus the cross-react with kiwi... I saw a two pound box for $9.99 up here at the grocery store today, right next to angel food cakes. Talk about tempting...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#29 of 378 Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
i talked to elisabeth this week and she is *hoping* to be back around these parts sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

(As an aside: I think I went overboard on vitamin A for awhile by eating a mountain of sweet potatoes, which are no longer safe for us at this juncture. Don't know if that's really possibility, but it seems to have happened to us. Maybe now that my vitamin D dose has quadrupled, we could tolerate sweet potatoes again? Something I plan to investigate... because what is life without sweet potatoes?!)
seriously, i eat sweet potatoes every.single.day and i dont know if id be surviving without them. every morning i have a baked sweet potato with pumpkin seeds and either raisins or blueberries on it. then when i run out of things to eat later in the afternoon, i sometimes have another one . its probably not normal to eat more than one sweet pot in a day, is it?
poor dd eats them a couple times a day because i have nothing else to feed her besides bananas and boob.
#30 of 378 Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 AM

M- that sounds delicious! None of those are safe for us except blueberries! But I hear you. I was eating a couple of sweet potatoes a day too. I'm anxious to see them on our menu again. I wish Taslyn would eat ANYTHING a couple of times a day. She is SO breastfed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page