no phenol/ phenol assist vs. salicylates - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3yo who is sensitive to salicylates. We are pretty good with low-moderate sals, but there isn't a lot of wiggle room before we start getting the not fun reactions. At home, we keep it under control... but we're going on vacation soon. I have a trial size of Kirkman's Phenol Assist enzymes, and I want to know what kind of success others have had with these types of enzymes.

Thanks a bunch!
#2 of 3 Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 PM

I am curious too! BTW, perstephone, what are your DDs symptoms?
#3 of 3 Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the most apparent and immediate reaction is on his face. Since we've cut out most sources of salicylate he gets little pimple-y bumps around his mouth (if he eats something he shouldn't have). Before we knew what we were dealing with, he had constant red cheeks. They looked like windburn almost.
Disrupted sleep is a fun one. If it's bad, he can get to sleep, and is clearly exhausted, but just can't stay asleep. Wakes up every 5-15 minutes, almost all night long. Again, it's way more obvious now that we've cut sals out and then accidentally have something with the sals, but before we did that, he just didn't sleep well. Ever.
Horrible poo. Just awful. Never formed, always stinky. Ugh. This is definitely better.
He's still got cradle cap. I wonder if that is something else, or just taking a long time to get better. It actually started to get better at one point, then we had a flare, and now I really can't tell much of an improvement- he's got a lot of hair! One thing I know is that when it seemed to be clearing, he wasn't nearly as adverse to getting his hair washed. We're back to not liking that again, so I'm inclined to believe it's still there.
He's got dry skin on his arms and legs. I wouldn't call it eczema, but there's definitely some Keratosis Pilaris there, too. That's getting better at the moment, but we've also recently started supplementing Vitamin D- both kids tested low at our last pedi visit and we've upped the epsom salt baths and I'm lotion-ing him more. Can't say what's helping that, or what it's a symptom of- just that it was there and now it's getting better.

As far as helping out the sals thing- we do kefir every morning, and I offer lots of foods that are folic acid heavy. When I have it around, we do bone broth, and even though I don't like it, I bought some liver the other day to see if he'll go for that.

His salicylate intolerance is a direct function of him having Down syndrome, and also, he's three. His food intake varies, and while I wanted to prop up the methylation path with whole food sources... it's a guess as to which foods he thinks he wants to eat from day to day, you know? So we're also supplementing with Kirkman's TMG-B12-folinic acid liquid and we're going to give the enzymes a shot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page