Rashes, ear infections, bacterial infections, I'm lost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay this is going to be long and I am not even sure if its an intolerance/allergy issue but thought you ladies would be able to offer the most info for me.

I'll start about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago every time DD ate one of those little mini easy peel oranges she got a horrible rash and runny, snotty looking poo. It was horrible. We of course stopped letting her have oranges. The rash unfortunately did not go away. We thought it was yeast and were trying various things to get rid of it. In the mean time DD got her first ear infection. Of course we were given antibiotics. Well next month another ear infection. More antibiotics. And the rash by the second month was bad. Really bad. Little pimple like bumps that would bleed sometimes. She had 9 ear infections in 9 months. And 9 rounds of antibiotics and a referral to an ENT by the third ear infection. We were still trying to get rid of the rash at this point and tried a few different creams from our PCP that did nothing.

Spring comes and ear infections end. ENT says come back if she has any more. At this point that rash has been there for almost a year and our PCP is not helping at all. We pay out of pocket to see a NP who is not sure what the rash is but has us try several things. Boric Acid salve got rid of the yeast part of the rash but the big painful bump parts are still there. At this point we are thinking its a bacterial infection. We also cannot afford to pay out of pocket for the NP anymore so we go back to our PCP (sigh) who is very open to what the NP had to say. We tried an antibiotic ointment. Well the rash cleared up amazingly! She was not waking up at night anymore to scream that she hurt. At one point this winter she had an ear infection and we did not do the antibiotics and she has not had one since!

Here I am now and the rash is back and getting worse. I think that it is something she is eating. I notice that her poop is more runny after she has any citrus and some kinds of berries. We are also out of probiotics (the NP suggested she take them) which makes her poo not as solid for some reason. A chiro I know suggested wheat or dairy back when the ear infections were happening but the NP said she did not think it was those things. But can something she is eating cause a bacterial infection like that? I mean maybe its weakening her system or something and she is more prone to the infection. I am lost. We can't afford to see the NP anymore. I am taking her to the doctor next week but I don't just want to treat the rash I want to find the cause of it.

Sorry this is so long. Anyone have any been there done that or ideas, thoughts for me? Thanks.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why would a naturopath think it was not dairy when dairy intolerance is the leading cause of ear infections (because of mucous production)?
Do the probiotics have dairy on them? That could be cause of the runny poo.

Here's my story about DD2.... she has food intolerances that we figured out mostly when she was 13 months old (through elimination and intense food journaling). Corn was her worst, and would give her eczema. Last fall, I started giving the kids chewable probiotics. They are on a rotation diet to prevent them (hopefully) from getting any more foods taken away from them. In the fall, DD2 got bumps on her butt, almost pimple like, that would hurt her. Went to the doctor, said it was folliculitis. Went on Abx. Went away. A few days after she finished the abx, the bumps were back. Went back to the doctor. I asked the doctor if he was sure it couldn't be a food reaction (I had a gut feeling). He said he'd never seen anything like it. She went on another round of abx. Cleared up. A few days after she finished the abx, they were back again. Through the mothers here, I took a second look at the probiotics I was giving the kids. Sure enough. Citric acid, made from corn. Took her off the probiotics, and the bumps went away and haven't come back. So, it was a "bacterial infection" but it was because her immune system was full of corn and weakened her ability to fight it off.

My rec: start keeping a very detailed food journal.
Because of all the ear infections, I would take her off milk. It could be causing the rash as well.
My DS tested severely intolerant to oranges (and most citrus) so it certainly isn't unheard of.
The top 4 food intolerances are dairy, gluten, soy, and corn.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM

My first thought is maybe the rash starts off with just yeast but developes the bacterial part due to the irritated skin from the yeast? So solve the yeast portion and you have no further opportunity for the bacterial infection.

How do you do that? I think the probiotics are absolutely a must. Also, if your dd is having thin or runny stools on a regular basis off the probiotic there may very well be a food intolerance component to it (although its possible to have chronic diarrhea just from an overabundance of yeast in the GI tract or some other factor). Personally, I would recommend trying a dairy free diet for a few weeks to see what happens, along with no citrus or berries. That means the probiotic should be dairy free as well, and most aren't so you'll have to be sure the one you are using says dairy free. Also, limit high sugar foods including juices and give other, non-citrus or berry fruit sparingly at first.

Another important component is fermented foods, but I will let the experts here address that.

After 9 rounds of antibiotics it's a good bet your dd's gut is totally out of balance and it may take some time to get it back in a good place.

HTH's -

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#4 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just more info: She does not have a yeast rash anymore. That was cleared up with Boric Acid salve almost a year ago. The bacterial rash is all that remained. It has been several months (4-5) since the we used the antibiotic ointment topically and the pimply rash has been gone since then. It came back a few weeks ago when we ran out of probiotics. She had also eaten some pineapple so that was maybe the culprit? In the past pineapple never bothered her just those darn little oranges. The berries bothering her is relatively new as they never did before. It was less than a week before I was able to get to the store to get more probiotic and now the rash is even worse and is not going away.

ETA how long does it take a gut to heal? Its been almost almost a year since the antibiotics for the ear infections.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#5 of 6 Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Oranges and berries are very high in salicylates. So is fresh pineapple, some say canned pineapple has less (www.feingold.org)

www.salicylatesensitivity.com

From spending the better part of the last 5.5 years on this... I think that food allergies and intolerances can be caused by a shift in gut flora (yeast, bacteria) and also encourage it to continue. That is, I think the inflammation caused by allergies/intolerances can impede proper gut flora generation and attachment to the gut wall as well. And of course this all effects the immune system in general since most of the immune system is centered in the gut.

Salicylates cause eczema in my DS. Salicylates are also a dose dependent thing... they are not an allergy but a full bucket kind of intolerance. Meaning if she had a bit of berries or just once a week she might do okay, bucket not full. But a serving or more than one serving a week and bam, bucket overflows, and it's rash time.

I think of it as if this is what his skin was doing externally, what on earth was happening internally, so that is how I think of the inflammation issue.

That's a LOT of antibiotics, poor bunny. I would say you really need to up your probiotics she still seems like she is teetering on the brink of dysbiosis without them. Which ones are you using and how often? Recovery from antibx takes a LONG time and usually food intolerances follow hand in hand with that sort of damage I hate to say.
#6 of 6 Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM

... or if she is eating berries plus tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers and grapes... full bucket again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page