BEWARE: peanuts in landscaping and mulch now - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is in response to another thread warning about peanut c-con in flower seeds.

I had a landscape person come to my house for consultation, and he was telling me about different mulches, and he said something about peanut shells. I am sure my jaw was on the ground, and I told him we have a peanut allergy in the house and NO peanuts allowed. He said that peanut shells are being used in mulch for gardens and in landscaping, and in potting material for seedlings. So that pepper plant you bought to put in your garden, could have peanut shells in the soil!! This makes me nervous, because I think this is becoming more popular. It is probably looked at as a very environmentally friendly thing to do, by re-using something that is a waste product, and it adds some good elements to the soil, probably gives good aeration because they're so light, etc.

This is a huge issue. Think about the food you buy, if it has been grown with peanut shells used as mulch??? This would not be listed on the produce item in a store. (Reason # 378 to grow all my own food.) At least at the Farmers' Market I can talk to the actual farmer and be sure they are not using this kind of mulch.

There are so many kids with peanut allergies now, this is insane to me. What if this becomes common practice, and that means there could be peanut shells mixed in with mulch anywhere we go?? And used to grow our food? I really think we need to start a petition of some sort about this.

Plus, peanuts are a very heavy-pesticide crop. I would not want mulch with peanuts in it on my garden or on any food I was going to eat. Peanuts are also often rotated with cottonseed, which is one of the heaviest-sprayed crops. Tons of pesticides.

Scroll down to "regional mulches":

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...den/mulch.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your timing is perfect -- we are just getting ready to do a major landscaping project in a few weeks. I would have *never* thought to check what the mulch was made out of. I would have just assumed bark.

And it does bother me that this could be in other people's yards where my ds may come in contact with it.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I know, that's what gets me too. It is not something I would have even known to ask! Now, I am buying starters and seedlings at the Farmers' Market right now for the garden, and I am asking all of them if they could have this in their potting mixture.

#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM

I noticed a bunch of peanut shells in the mulch at the playground this weekend. I thought they were just there from someone eating peanuts on the bench and tossing the shells instead of collecting them, but now I wonder...
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtarheel View Post
I noticed a bunch of peanut shells in the mulch at the playground this weekend. I thought they were just there from someone eating peanuts on the bench and tossing the shells instead of collecting them, but now I wonder...
See that's just crazy. On a playground??? Aacckk.
#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM

how frightening! i am speechless right now, this really scares me. especially your point about produce, that sounds so very possible and so potentially horrible. thank you for sharing this information.

Momma to my sweet ballerina Sara age 6 and my food allergic love bug Holden age 3.
#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtarheel View Post

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
: Exactly.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page