Help me help my daughter: updated #35 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I posted in the vax thread. Here's a long intro before the question . . /

My dd is 6 months old. We could not breastfeed for medical reasons. At 2 weeks she developed severe reflux. At 4 weeks we though she was having seizures - but it was reflux related. At 6 weeks she stopped breathing and turned blue, also reflux related. We tried a variety of formulas - we are now on Neocate and it MUST be the neocate WITHOUT dha/ara in it. But for some reason I can give her a dha supplement (Dr. Sears brand). Our ped gi said she was doing "okay" on the alimentum and not to bother trying neocate - thank God we didn't listen to him. It has made a huge difference in her gut problems. She apparenlty has secondary reflux which was made worse by MSPI and problems digesting the synthetic dha/ara infant formula . . .

I was very hesitant to vaccine because I felt strongly that due to her gut issues she couldn't handle them. She had a vaccine - the prevnar - at 4 monts (husband/doctor pressure) and had a reaction to it. STopped using her left hand and stopped babbling.

We have worked really hard at healing her gut and boosting immunity due to the reflux/mspi issues . .

Probiotics, Multivitamin and the Dr. Sears DHA supplement.

She has been reflux and med free for about 2 months. Only wakes up twice in te night now.

We slowly started solids this week - sweet potatoes okay, I'm pretty sure she had a reaction to carrots (this morning her face was all pimply looking).

How can I boost her immunity?
ow can I aid her natural detox pathways?
Is a broken out face a reaction to carrots?

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Oh, mama. My heart aches for you. I have so much to say, but as usual I'm short on time. I know you'll get some good answers here and I will try and come back. I just want to throw out there that *I* wouldnt' necessarily be looking to boost the immune system. It seems (given that she had a vax reaction) that it might be skewed and it's possible that boosting it will cause yet more problems. You may want to look more into normalizing it and allowing her to switch back to Th1 dominant.

Yes, her face *could* be broken out as a result of carrots. They can be very difficult for babies to break down for a variety of reasons...nitrites being one.

There are many things you can do (For yourself) at this stage to improve her detox pathways. Given the severity of it though, is there any way you could see an ND?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 PM

I can very much relate to a lot of what you're going through. My dd had all of the above plus more vaxes (to 6 months) minus the seizures plus several other things.

to you. You'll get through it.

I'd venture to say that the sweet potatoes aren't a good choice at this stage.

We started dd on the specific carbohydrate diet as soon as she was eating solids (or shortly thereafter) and it helped a lot. She was b'feeding too so I did the diet as well and it also helped me.

We began working w/a DAN doc to remove the metals and undo the damage that had been done by the vaxes (I also had amalgams removed when she was a baby and nursing too which added insult to injury.)

Pm me if you want more info.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Mama, if Annikate is willing to share her journey with you, JUMP. She would be an amazing asset to you at this point. She is also about the most loving person you could hope to find.

I watched quite a bit of her journey starting about 4 years ago. Every situation is different and you can take what you need and leave what you don't, but I highly recommend you connect with her. She is a gift to everyone that knows her.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why aren't sweet potatoes an okay first food?
If she'd already been having the sweet potato with no reaction, then yes, it's possible that the broken-out face is due to the carrots.

Did she start babbling and using her left hand again, or did she just stall out?

And as an aside, I just need to say, Welcome back Panserbjørne!!!! So glad to see you.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Hey, nice to you too, friend! : Slow and steady over here, slow and steady!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Mama, if Annikate is willing to share her journey with you, JUMP. She would be an amazing asset to you at this point. She is also about the most loving person you could hope to find.

I watched quite a bit of her journey starting about 4 years ago. Every situation is different and you can take what you need and leave what you don't, but I highly recommend you connect with her. She is a gift to everyone that knows her.

Thing is, I can't relate what we've done and are doing as well as you! I think my very impaired brain has forgotten so much of it!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think I tried to pm you, but don't know if it worked. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Karen
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Got it and just replied.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Oh, mama. My heart aches for you. I have so much to say, but as usual I'm short on time. I know you'll get some good answers here and I will try and come back. I just want to throw out there that *I* wouldnt' necessarily be looking to boost the immune system. It seems (given that she had a vax reaction) that it might be skewed and it's possible that boosting it will cause yet more problems. You may want to look more into normalizing it and allowing her to switch back to Th1 dominant.

Yes, her face *could* be broken out as a result of carrots. They can be very difficult for babies to break down for a variety of reasons...nitrites being one.

There are many things you can do (For yourself) at this stage to improve her detox pathways. Given the severity of it though, is there any way you could see an ND?
How does one normalize the immune system?
Hugs to you OP and I know you will get great information here.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Where are you getting Neocate w/out DHA? I didn't even think they made that anymore. Evan reacted to carrots, but his was allergic insomnia. He was a strange kiddo, lol.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt75 View Post
How does one normalize the immune system?
Hugs to you OP and I know you will get great information here.
This is an article I've been meaning to read for a while (doing it now) on Th1 and Th2 and factors involved in them being out of balance. I don't know the answer to your question, I have the same one (though I remember PB mentioning homeopathy helps correct the imbalance).

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/8/3/223.pdf
Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

First of all, don't even get me started on the DHA/ARa in infant formual thing - just google martek and dha or martek and hexane (which is a neurotoxic chemical) to see about the FDA reports associated with the dangers of this synthetic DHA which is put in 97% of our infant formula. It should not be allowed if you ask me.

The non-dha neocate is still listed on their website. But I buy it from ebay where I get a slightly better price. You do have to verify though that it is the dha/ara free version before you buy it.

AS for my detox plan, we do the following - please comment:

1. Epsom salt baths daily
2. I bought a detox clay bath that we do weekly
3. Larger doses of probiotics
4. Dr. Sears DHA supplement - 1/2 tsp twice a day (the recommended dose is once a day).
5. The poly-vi-sol infant multivitamin without iron daily.

We are just starting solid foods so I am trying to give her avocado - which is supposed to be very high in nutrients. She did fine on sweet potatoes. Like I said, I believe she had a reaction to carrots. These are all we have tried.

What foods should I do next and in what order that are less likely allergy causing but high in vitamins/minerals that will aid detoxification.

Also, all with food allergy kids should read Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock, it is excellent.

Does anyone know about taking immunocal (a whey protein) to help in immune boosting and increasing glutathione production (an important antioxidant)?
Also, how can I increase her folate (now folic acid) and selenium intake?

Thank you,
Karen
Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

So fine . . . the link to the DHA article is here http://www.cornucopia.org/2008/04/or...oxic-chemical/

It really caused a lot of problems for my allergic baby . . .
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Healing the new childhood epidemics discusses the t1/t2 imablance also . . .

and don't laugh, but finding this forum and the anti-vax forum - I fell like I found a home. I have really been looking into all this and discussing it a lot. So happy to find others who share my passion and can help.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding her injury . . . I have noticed this past week she has been using her left hand more. I was very joyous this week in the tub to see that she was FINALLY splashing with both hands, not just the right. She babbles some, but mostly only if she has her hand or a toy in her mouth - and this concerns me greatly. She is very smiley and happy though. I have worked and researched very hard to help with her gut problems and seem to be doing really well. She now only wakes 2 times a night - and after 6 months of no sleep (the first 3 months which consisted of screaming in pain 24/7), I'll take what I can get.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Dangit, I lost my reply! Will try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
AS for my detox plan, we do the following - please comment:

1. Epsom salt baths daily
2. I bought a detox clay bath that we do weekly
3. Larger doses of probiotics
4. Dr. Sears DHA supplement - 1/2 tsp twice a day (the recommended dose is once a day).
5. The poly-vi-sol infant multivitamin without iron daily.

We are just starting solid foods so I am trying to give her avocado - which is supposed to be very high in nutrients. She did fine on sweet potatoes. Like I said, I believe she had a reaction to carrots. These are all we have tried.

What foods should I do next and in what order that are less likely allergy causing but high in vitamins/minerals that will aid detoxification.

Does anyone know about taking immunocal (a whey protein) to help in immune boosting and increasing glutathione production (an important antioxidant)?
Also, how can I increase her folate (now folic acid) and selenium intake?

Thank you,
Karen
One of the key things for me has been piecing together my health, and even my family health history, with the kids (5yo DD, 3yo DS). My allergies, anxiety, intermittent depression, hypothyroid, and adrenal fatigue fit together with the kids' health issues.

For us, nutrient deficiencies have been really big, so although my son used to get sick a lot, I've focused on the nutrient-rebuilding side. We're gluten and dairy free, so my knee-jerk reaction is to be wary of something with whey. For us, zinc, vitamin A & D, and vitamin C have been quite involved. One the one hand, your LO is quite young, but when my son was 6 mos old his first fall/winter season was starting and he was constantly sick for about 4 months, so I was giving him vitamin C daily (vitamin C spares glutathione, which I didn't realize at the time). I use sodium ascorbate 3x/day.

I'm giving the kids cod liver oil, not sure if it'd be appropriate or comparable to the amt of DHA in Sears' supp. My kids need the A, that's the main reason I give it, though I like the DHA as well. The stuff on your list looks reasonable, I'm not familiar with that multi.

Foods: red meat for zinc if you're not vegetarian, in general meats seem less allergenic than many other foods. Chicken liver is a good source of folate (people make pates), we've also had discussions on juicing greens, spinach, celery, romaine lettuce, I'm sure other stuff too. I'd avoid cilantro, if it hasn't occurred to you already, it can mobilize metals quite a bit, not sure if you've got any involved, or you just haven't decided yet.

The only reliable, really high selenium food I know is brazil nuts and I'd hesitate to give them to an allergic baby so young. Any of the reactions anaphalactic? Ours are just intolerances, clearly not IgE/ana. Animal products can be high in selenium depending on the soil their food was grown on (same ups/downs with plant foods too), the Dakotas are particularly high in selenium (and I think I've seen grassfed Dakota beef in our grocery store).

http://www.saanendoah.com/map1.html
map of selenium in US soil

How's your LO's gut health now? Poop consistent, variable, seem right?

Quote:
and don't laugh, but finding this forum and the anti-vax forum - I fell like I found a home. I have really been looking into all this and discussing it a lot. So happy to find others who share my passion and can help.
It's done this for a lot of us. It's helped me stay sorta sane these past 2 years, even before we had started the detoxification discussion.

Quote:
Regarding her injury . . . I have noticed this past week she has been using her left hand more. I was very joyous this week in the tub to see that she was FINALLY splashing with both hands, not just the right. She babbles some, but mostly only if she has her hand or a toy in her mouth - and this concerns me greatly. She is very smiley and happy though. I have worked and researched very hard to help with her gut problems and seem to be doing really well. She now only wakes 2 times a night - and after 6 months of no sleep (the first 3 months which consisted of screaming in pain 24/7), I'll take what I can get.
That sounds like good progress. : I mentioned in the other thread a little of the at-home stuff I did with my son. Short form--I don't think there was a specific injury, per se, my health has been affected by the mercury in my amalgam fillings and my son is susceptible to it in a way my daughter isn't (as much), and he was really clumsy as a baby. Weird to look at your infant and think of them as clumsy, but he had a lot of bruises, long before he was trying to walk. He didn't crawl correctly, he wasn't moving in a coordinated fashion left-to-right or arms-to-legs. Lying on back doing some bicycling (cross-wise knee to elbow, obviously not for long stretches of time) and doing things to alternate hands, like at meal times I'd try to encourage him to pick up with his left, then his right, then his left, it seemed to come together due to these things. I'm sure there's more to do, but I wanted to mention it because I think my son's brain wasn't wired right from in-utero, and yet play-based practice, I think, changed how his brain is wired. He's well-coordinated now, truly not clumsy.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

You said: "Lying on back doing some bicycling (cross-wise knee to elbow, obviously not for long stretches of time) and doing things to alternate hands, like at meal times I'd try to encourage him to pick up with his left, then his right, then his left, it seemed to come together due to these things. I'm sure there's more to do, but I wanted to mention it because I think my son's brain wasn't wired right from in-utero, and yet play-based practice, I think, changed how his brain is wired. He's well-coordinated now, truly not clumsy."

Interesting that you should mention - a couple of the books I have read (one being Is my baby autistic and the other a book by a neurologist who works with brain injured children to regain their skills) talks about symmetry and brain wiring. They give activities to help create this in your baby. Apparently babies are born with the two halves of their brain not communicating and this symmetry is important to helping them connect. They also talk about the back to sleep campaign and how it contributes to this wiring issue (not that I am promoting tummy sleeping).

I have already decided she is going to be gfcf. I keep going back and forth on the whey protein. It is hard because she is so young so I guess a lot of the foods we will have to wait for.

edited because I guess I can't get the quote thing to work.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

In answer to your question about the BMs, she now goes DAILY (yeah) and they are getting healthier. They were very firm and dry. But lately have been better. I was not able to bf, but buy breastmilk from the state breastmilk bank (it is expensive so I can only give her 6 ounces a day). This past week I added 1 ounce of diluted white grape juice because of her age. So a combination of the probiotics and probably the h2o/juice has really helped.

Karen
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 PM

What is this detox clay you are using?
What are your LO's reactions?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

We use this http://www.evenbetternow.com/proddet...tox_clay_baths

ll magnetic clay also has one that you can modify and use with children . . .

She has not had a reaction to it.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
We use this http://www.evenbetternow.com/proddet...tox_clay_baths

ll magnetic clay also has one that you can modify and use with children . . .

She has not had a reaction to it.
I shouldn't have used to word reactions...
I guess I meant has the clay benefited her any?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Anecdotedly I would say yes, but I didn't do before and after testing to be able to answer that definitively. She has shown imrovements in the two areas of concern that I mentioned above, and just overall is a more happy, engaged in her environment child of late. She has been sick once - 2 weeks ago. She had a fever of 102 and the doctor said the next day she had an ear infection. But I now believe the fever was because she had a huge probiotic die off reaction and possibly detox reaction (as seen in her diaper) and her ear infection was just a coincidence and didn't really bother her. I did not give her the prescribed antibiotics as I worked so hard to restore her gut flora (and hopefully heal a leaky gut) and she never showed in any way that her ear bothered her.

I will add that I myself have used the ll magnetic clay specifically for aluminum detox (darn me and my Pepsi addiction) and you can see the aluminum in the water and I have definitely FELT improvements. I have since ordered the lead one for my 6 year old (I did natural chelation for her when we found out she had high lead levels thanks to our old neighborhood) and I have ordered the mercury detox clay as last January (2008) I lost an amalganam filling (my only one) and am interested in seeing if I have some high levels of mercury issues.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

TanyaLopez . . . you mention your own health and how it ties in to your children's.

Thankfully I took milk thistle for a while before getting pg, a complete B6 supplement, folic acid and a multivitamin. I also took a prenatal DHA supplement. Because my pregnancy which my dd who has all these issues was MESSED UP:

I had hypermesis gravidarum and had to take Zofran and a B6/Unisom combo
I was on home IV therapy
I tested positive for ana (indicating an autoimmune problem) but they could not find out what
I have always had borderline thyroid function
I was anemic
I was borderline pre-e at the end
I had to have an emergency root canal which resulted in 2 (and I was adamant about this) localized x-rays. But the stupid dentist put formocresol in my mouth (it has formaldahyde) - so I went to another dentist the next day and had it removed.
My 6 year old had the mmr and varicella vax at the end of my second trimester (I didn't know at the time that I could refuse or that it was the live virus and my ob assurred me it was safe)
I developed an anxiety disorder but refused to take the prescribed meds, there was enough in my body already thank you.
My 6 year old was exposed to 5th disease - but none of us seemed to have gotten it thankfully.
And I had a sub-chorionic hematoma. On July 3rd they said the baby had died (I was 19 weeks) and my placenta was almost completely separated. They told me to come in the next day for a d&c. I did not, thankfully. They by the way are the ER. On the following Monday I went and saw a Peri and they said everything was fine.
And . . . I was 35 years old.

I really do see that this pregnancy has affected my dd.

As for the reglan that was mentioned, I took it in my first 2 pregnancies (my second pg ended in a loss) for severe hyperemesis gravidarum and I would never give it to anyone. Incidentally it now has a blackbox warning. Proving that what the science and drug community thinks they know is always subject to change (ala thalimode and vioxx and a whole history of drugs and medical practices) which is why I refuse to take what they say about vaccines at face value (especially when they haven't studied the CUMULATIVE EFFECTS). But I guess that is for another forum.

Karen
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Question about Eggs? Superbaby Foods says after 7 months to give hard boiled eggs with the egg whites removed (this is apparently the allergic part). Has anyone tried this? Right now dd only seems to have a milk issue and carrots.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Based on me and mo and watching the success of others on the SCDiet, I would only introduce what is on there. Use your own intuition.

For my dd when she was just eating, we fed her egg yolks (yes, it's the whites that are a concern), seeded and steamed squash, zucchini, steamed pears, apricots. I'm sure there were a few others (but not many!) until we knew how these affected her. Then we slowly branched out.

Based on her history, I'll say again that the SCD would likely be very beneficial.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so those with more knowledge and experience can maybe help me with these questions. (And I am getting the SCD book and one of the others mentioned).

1. What foods and when do you introduce?
2. What supplements and when can you introduce them? (She is only 6 months now).

Karen
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Okay, so those with more knowledge and experience can maybe help me with these questions. (And I am getting the SCD book and one of the others mentioned).

1. What foods and when do you introduce?
2. What supplements and when can you introduce them? (She is only 6 months now).

Karen
You can read this in the meantime:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

Just mo but we gave dd probiotics and clo when on the SCD in addition to other supps that may or may not have been 'legal.'

I'd also recommend reading the book Children With Starving Brains. Before we found our awesome DAN this book helped me a lot. There's a supplement section.

It's okay to figure all this out yourself but much much easier if you have the guidance of an awesome DAN. Just mo and from my experience.

I did all of this on my own for over a year before we had our doc working w/Kate and I had done a lot of things right, but there were things she needed I couldn't possibly have known about.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM

I think homemade stock (the kind where you simmer bones for a long time) would be SCD legal, and it's definitely soothing to a damaged digestive tract. Chicken stock tastes great, I think beef needs some other flavors to make it more palatable. I'd think meats are SCD legal, I started red meat early for the iron and zinc, but by early I mean when my son was 7mo and started screeching for food, he really wasn't ready to eat solids before then. So I'd use some of your LO's cues in terms of how much/how fast for the solids. My son was a little older when I started CLO, but less than a year, and it took blatant problems for me to figure out that oh, he's A deficient, I should work on that. We were also low in D, I'm just now really twigging to that and working on it this year (my son turned 3 last month).

re: thyroid, did I mention this early, the overlap in our thyroids needing zinc and selenium (as key players) for thyroid hormone production and zinc and selenium for glutathione? And given a potential autoimmune issue, selenium seems especially key--maybe for you? Just saying don't forget to take care of yourself, one of the precipitating factors in my health going downhill was stress, and you've surely got stress! I don't know how I'd decide to supp selenium to such a little baby, I took a lot while nursing not really understanding the complexity of our situation, and my son was 14mo when I started all our current supps.

HG seems like something that's a long time building--my impression, there are one or two others in this forum with HG and a whole thread over in the Pregnancy section and they'd know more. I had significantly worse nausea with my 2nd pregnancy vs my first but it was nothing compared to HG. But it was, I think, about my liver not functioning well. I know for me, it's taking a while to get all this straightened out. I got my amalgam fillings replaced with composite in Apr 08 and I've been chelating with DMSA and ALA (alpha lipoic acid, not the ALA that's a fatty acid) for just over a year now. Lots of high dose vit and min supps, and my adrenals are still worn down (though to be fair, I have been bad lately about staying up too late and other adrenal-stressing stuff). I've seen progress in myself but even taking these at not-low dosages for a year, I can still tell that I have a substantial amount of toxicity left in me. I feel like I'm making good progress, I can see progress based on increasing dosages with fewer symptoms, but it's surprising how impaired we, as adults, can be and seem so functional and normal for so long.

It looks like your pregnancy was really, really tough, but some of that looks more like the culmination of a things that were building for a long time. My history is like that, anyway, I got my fillings when I was 11 or so and things started changing then, but it was subtle and I never realized anything was truly amiss til I was 30 and in the middle of my second pregnancy. It was insidious, how the problems were accumulating without me being aware.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

This is a lot a lot of information . . .

I think this morning I decided for a couple of weeks to stop introducing solids. Last night she had a really time passing a bm and she woke up a lot and cried last night. She also was very stuffy and runny nosey yesterday I noticed - so I never know if it's a cold or an allergy reaction to a food. I do worry though about her tummy so I am going to give it a rest. She has a WBV on the 22nd so I will talk to the doctor and see.

I did contact the DAN doctor here in Ohio that you told me about, but I guess I will have to follow up on that.

My fear is that the digestive issues will lead way to other issues or indicate that there is already another issue present that I just don't know about yet. So I really want to make sure she gets optimal gut health and nutrtional absorption. So I am trying to work out a plan. Your information is helpful and invaluable, thank you.

Adding the book Children with Starving Brains to my list. It's hard to get a hold of.

Yeah, I have the CLO but it says not until 8 months - so for now like I said we are just doing the Dr. Sears DHA.

I have just recently found out about glutathione which you mentioned - I have both a glutatione plesolypeon (or something like that) supplement - but it has alcohol in it and the immunocal, which is whey protein - and I don't have enough confident to use them in such a young baby. Glutathione is mentioned a lot though in the detox and nutrition information - although I had never heard of it before.

How do you know if a stuffy/runny nose is an allergy or just a spring cold? And can't it also possibly be an indicator of teething?

Also, what about the whole sleeping through the night thing? Will that ever happen?

How do you know if reflux/mspi/food allergies are just that - or an indicator that something else is going on? I really want my baby (who is so beautiful and such a blessing) to be okay and just grow out of all of this and be a happy, healthy little girl like her big sister. And can you tell I'm all emotional about all this today - we had a rough night.

Karen

User Tag List