Does your beef bone broth stink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a bunch of beef bones, but when I tried to make broth in the crock, they just smelled yucky. I could get over it, but dh didn't want to eat the rice i made with it. Is it just a cultivated taste? We've done chicken with no issues. FTR, we bought the meat/bones from a rancher we know. They're not totally grass fed, but much better than conventional cows. If this is just a beef issue, what can I do to make it taste/smell better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I made it once and it grossed me out. I used raw grass-fed bones. I'm wondering if you roast the bones first (the chicken carcass I use in my chicken bone broth is roasted) if that helps.... I know I should make it again but it was horrible. I'll be watching to see if anyone else makes good smelling/tasting beef broth!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if that's it. They were raw, not roasted. Maybe I should pop them in the oven for a couple of hours??
#4 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM

I have it on my list of things to do but I haven't gotten around to it yet (and it's been on my to-do list for about 8-10 months!).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I have it on my list of things to do but I haven't gotten around to it yet (and it's been on my to-do list for about 8-10 months!).
I have to-do lists of to-do lists. : I've been treading water for months. . .
#6 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM

I always roast, and I've wondered if raw bones would smell better!

I think it's just the nature of beef broth. I've been able to use it in things that have a strong flavor in some other way, we actually had tasty veggie & sausage soup a couple summers ago, I just used a lot of herbs.

But the smell while it's cooking? Not good.
#7 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM

I must be deficient in some mineral or vitamin (Tanya or KJ, in sert mineral here) b/c my sense of smell doesn't pick up a bad stench from broth. In fact I made oxtail broth last night and it smelled and tasted sweet. I don't do the whole rigamaroll, I just do the bones soaked in RACV and water, and simmer all day

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#8 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I have to-do lists of to-do lists. : I've been treading water for months. . .
I feel that pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post
I must be deficient in some mineral or vitamin (Tanya or KJ, in sert mineral here) b/c my sense of smell doesn't pick up a bad stench from broth. In fact I made oxtail broth last night and it smelled and tasted sweet. I don't do the whole rigamaroll, I just do the bones soaked in RACV and water, and simmer all day
Zinc, I believe.

Technically, broth is just the meat or meat and vegetables simmered... Stock is made using the bones, bones and meat or bones, meat and vegetables. My preferred method is the last: bones, meat (whatever's on the bones) and vegetables- usually peelings of carrots, potatoes, onions etc and theee "trimmings" from "cleaning" peppers. I also add some herbs, at the very least parsley and recently kelp (for the iodine), as well as salt and pepper. I have never had an odd flavour to my stock nor a strange smell... It smells very good. I always roast everything together first- bones and vegetables.
I have never made bone stock with *just* bones.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#9 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM

I cannot remember if I have ever even made beef broth, been so very, very long since I had beef bones. I do know that chicken broth has a bit of a smell to me, sometimes it is better than others = not sure what makes the difference.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#10 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 PM

I love the smell of the chicken broth.
The bone broth smelled/tasted gross to me. I'll have to try it again with roasted bones... I can't put many veggies in there though with DS's restrictions (onion is on rotation, no carrots, no green beans, no peas, black pepper is on rotation; I could put in salt, celery, and.... broccoli? sweet potato? Maybe I'll roast some stuff and try it this week. At least it's supposed to be warmer so I can open a window if it starts to smell REALLY bad. See, this thread got it farther up my to-do list.

#11 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM

I'd skip the broccoli, I've heard that it imparts really unpleasant flavors even to veggie broth which is usually made with much shorter cooking times.

I just do it plain, and then add flavorings later. Water, vinegar, bones. Maybe if I added all the other stuff JR listed, it would smell good when it cooks.
#12 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've found that RAW beef bones smell awful, and beef broth can smell pretty "gamey" during the first few hours, once the broth is finished it smells really good! In fact, it usually smells good within 3-4 hours (out of at least 24)- pretty much, as soon as the beef is no longer raw, it smells fine.

When I use beef bones in soups (I make a "cholent" that's really more like a beef soup)- a raw beef bone plus some tomato sauce, spices, beef chunks, and veggies- I put everything together in the crock pot, add water, and let it simmer for 24 hours or so before eating it- and that smells good from the beginning.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#13 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
When I use beef bones in soups (I make a "cholent" that's really more like a beef soup)- a raw beef bone plus some tomato sauce, spices, beef chunks, and veggies- I put everything together in the crock pot, add water, and let it simmer for 24 hours or so before eating it- and that smells good from the beginning.
I hate to be rude/ignorant, but is cholent a Jewish dish? If I'm not mistaken, you're a Kosher Jew, right? (I've always been interested in Kosher, to the point of trying to read Leviticus at one point when I was told that you had to be Jewish and male to learn all of the "secrets" of Kosher... All I learned from that is that eagle is not Kosher. Sorry if I'm prying.)

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'd skip the broccoli, I've heard that it imparts really unpleasant flavors even to veggie broth which is usually made with much shorter cooking times.

I just do it plain, and then add flavorings later. Water, vinegar, bones. Maybe if I added all the other stuff JR listed, it would smell good when it cooks.
I haven't done vinegar in mine. And I do 48 hours for beef broth. Wasn't there another thread that said the vinegar is what pulls more of the natural MSG out of the bones?

#15 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I hate to be rude/ignorant, but is cholent a Jewish dish? If I'm not mistaken, you're a Kosher Jew, right? (I've always been interested in Kosher, to the point of trying to read Leviticus at one point when I was told that you had to be Jewish and male to learn all of the "secrets" of Kosher... All I learned from that is that eagle is not Kosher. Sorry if I'm prying.)
Cholent is a traditional Jewish dish- designed because we can't cook on the Sabbath, but we can eat foods that were cooked before Shabbos and kept hot. Recipes vary, but generally they contain beef, beans, barley, vegetables, and meat. I've seen vegetarian cholent recipes that have lots of beans and no beef. I've seen gluten-free cholent recipes that use rice, quinoa, or millet in place of the barley. The spices used in cholent vary WIDELY by region! (or, now, by the ethnicity of the cookbook author.)

Since I can't eat legumes, and severely limit my grain consumption, I make mine more of a "beef soup" than the traditional thick stew. Already on Shabbos I'm eating challah (gluten free, rice flour based) and I really don't need to eat quinoa or rice in my cholent in addition to that.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#16 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Since I can't eat legumes, and severely limit my grain consumption, I make mine more of a "beef soup" than the traditional thick stew. Already on Shabbos I'm eating challah (gluten free, rice flour based) and I really don't need to eat quinoa or rice in my cholent in addition to that.
recipe for challah? pretty please?

I know this is totally off topic and I should put it in the chat thread, but... Have you ever had charoset with pears or another fruit? We never have apples in the house because of DD2's apple intolerance (and her ability to get into locked pantries) and I was wondering if I could make it with something else. The wine is safe and the nuts are okay. I could use lime juice instead of lemon, and nutmeg instead of cinnamon. I wanted it a month or so ago and never got around to experimenting. Anyway... back to smelly beef bone broth.

#17 of 17 Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I haven't done vinegar in mine. And I do 48 hours for beef broth. Wasn't there another thread that said the vinegar is what pulls more of the natural MSG out of the bones?
Lovely. I missed that in whatever thread it was in.

User Tag List