Would a "feed the freezer allergen free items" thread fly here? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephienoodle View Post
In my experience, potatoes freeze fine if they're in something like soup or stew or as mashed potatoes. They don't freeze well if they're not suspended in a liquid or something and you expect them to hold their form.

I still need to get some recipes put up here... I have a few new ones since I did a crazy amount of cooking for DH over Memorial Day weekend.
That has been my experience with potatoes as well, have never froze just straight potatoes but have froze different soups and stews w/ them w/ no problem.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#32 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephienoodle View Post
In my experience, potatoes freeze fine if they're in something like soup or stew or as mashed potatoes. They don't freeze well if they're not suspended in a liquid or something and you expect them to hold their form.
Nope, not my stews or soups. The texture gets awful. The pieces of potato become like a shell that is normal, but inside it is watery and grainy at the same time.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#33 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Originally posted by LBMarie 9:
Quote:
though I've stopped for now since son gets red with tomato

allergen free girlscout cookie (thin mints)
My dd gets a horrible case of hives if dh even kisses her after he's eaten tomato sauce, even if he's wiped his mouth. Did you know potato and tomato are in the same family? I'm afraid to try potato - we haven't tried it yet since I realized about the tomatos.

Also, what the heck are you talking about , allergen free GS cookes??? I didn't know they had such a thing!

I'm posting a recipe in the sticky for taragon chix - I made it the other day and am having frozen left overs for my lunch today - I put it over rice. From world's healthies foods:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...ecipe&dbid=140

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#34 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
Originally posted by LBMarie 9:

My dd gets a horrible case of hives if dh even kisses her after he's eaten tomato sauce, even if he's wiped his mouth. Did you know potato and tomato are in the same family? I'm afraid to try potato - we haven't tried it yet since I realized about the tomatos.

Also, what the heck are you talking about , allergen free GS cookes??? I didn't know they had such a thing
~Tracy
I believe she posted a recipe for them to the sticky.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#35 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I thought she meant that she bought from the girl scouts!!!

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#36 of 55 Old 06-04-2009, 03:42 PM

I use Krankedy Ann's menu mailer. It is routinely df, gf and other free? I've had average success with her recipes. Now that we can eat some beans, her menus might be more useful for us.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#37 of 55 Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM

this is the end of this thread? common we need more!! help with filling my freezer (okay it's full right now without any meals but lots of separate ingredients.but still
#38 of 55 Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM

:
#39 of 55 Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM

opcorn:

My favorite freezable back-up is lentil soup. I add some ACV on top when serving it.
#40 of 55 Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM

I rarely do whole meals frozen, because I'm kinda lazy and my freezers are so full already. I did some experimenting and got a freezer bag full of hot pockets for my boys. They're only dairy-free so I'm not sure how helpful they'd be, but I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.
#41 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
I rarely do whole meals frozen, because I'm kinda lazy and my freezers are so full already. I did some experimenting and got a freezer bag full of hot pockets for my boys. They're only dairy-free so I'm not sure how helpful they'd be, but I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.
I'd like the recipe for my kiddos please! :
#42 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM

The crust recipe is:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp yeast
salt

Mix yeast and water until dissolved and let sit a few minutes. Add other ingredients and mix well. Roll out like you would pizza dough and then cut into pieces. I did triangles, but you can try different shapes and see what works.

Inside the pieces, add pizza sauce and whatever toppings you like to half. I used pepperoni, but you have to watch those, some brands do have casein. Fold over and pinch down edges. Bake at 425 until golden brown.

Then you can flash freeze and store in the freezer. Dh found microwaving works really well to reheat.

My pizza sauce is just tomato sauce, lots of garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning.
#43 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM

I just tried freezing hummus recently, and it worked GREAT! I put it in muffin tins, froze, then popped them out into a bag. When you're ready to thaw, just take out the portion you want.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#44 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

pancakes
chocolate pancakes, apple pancakes, bananna pancakes, blueberry pancakes, corn pancakes:

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#45 of 55 Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
The crust recipe is:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp yeast
salt

Mix yeast and water until dissolved and let sit a few minutes. Add other ingredients and mix well. Roll out like you would pizza dough and then cut into pieces. I did triangles, but you can try different shapes and see what works.

Inside the pieces, add pizza sauce and whatever toppings you like to half. I used pepperoni, but you have to watch those, some brands do have casein. Fold over and pinch down edges. Bake at 425 until golden brown.

Then you can flash freeze and store in the freezer. Dh found microwaving works really well to reheat.

My pizza sauce is just tomato sauce, lots of garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning.
Thanks, sounds easy enough! Now to find the time do it.
#46 of 55 Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Do GF muffins really freeze worse than any other kind of muffins? I read somewhere (maybe this thread?) someone didn't like to freeze the individual cupcakes. I haven't tried yet but want to make up a bunch of muffins to freeze, including Kathy's millet muffins. I've always thought bread products did fairly well frozen then thawed. I hope these would be fine as well...

Any thoughts, experiences?

I'm pretty sure cookies would do fine, I think I'll try some of those.

My dh is going to be gone for a week, then home for the weekend then gone for another 4 days soon and I'd really like to set us up well for meals and snacks while he is gone - hard to cook/bake w/three littles at home and no help!

~Tracy

#47 of 55 Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post
pancakes
chocolate pancakes, apple pancakes, bananna pancakes, blueberry pancakes, corn pancakes:
I've tried freezing pancakes with no luck--could you tell me steps? thanks!

I've been freezing soups lately--

I want to make a big batch of vegetarian chili and freeze it in mason jars--is this okay? I' had been using ziploc tupperware containers--does glass do okay? any better ideas? I 've heard of people using gallon ziploc bags too.
#48 of 55 Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM

I froze pancakes for years. I just stacked them in quantities that would make one person's meal and put that stack in a ziploc. When we wanted to eat them, we would put the stack on a plate, microwave them one minute, then separate them and microwave them another 2 minutes.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#49 of 55 Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Dirty rice from recipe sticky: I've been making in large batches up to the point where you're supposed to add the spices and rice then dividing and freezing the meat/veggies. Then I make baggies with the spices and rice in it so all I have to do is heat the meat/veggie from the freezer, add water or broth and soy sauce and the rice/spice mix. Reuse baggies for the spice/rice mix.
I use pork and beef for my spaghetti meat sauce, so I brown all of it, add the veggies and then freeze in batches. All I have to do is add canned sauce and warm.

I've been freezing bone broth in ice cube trays then storing them in baggies in the freezer.
Flash freezing (put on a pan and freeze that way so they don't stick together): meatballs, hamburgers, chicken fingers made in large batches, muffins, pre-cooked bacon.
I'm going to try flash freezing salmon cakes and fish sticks.
I make 2 meatloaves and freeze one, uncooked, then remove it from it's pan and wrap for longer storage.
Plans for: sloppy joes, chicken cacciatore, pulled pork, ginger-pineapple pork balls, chili verde, chili (of course, the classic never fails).
I also want to try to freeze my chicken pot pie, though of that fails, I can just freeze my chicken soup which is the base for the pot pie anyway.

I want to get bagels in the freezer as well as some brown rice tortillas.
I'm also going to freeze safe bologna in 2 slice packages and store bought gf bread in 2 slice packages for "emergency" days for DS1's school lunches.

Also, before I found out that Johnsonville sausages were safe, I was making italian sausage and bratwurst meatloaves and freezing them. If i'd had casings and a sausage stuffer, I'd have just made the sausages.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#50 of 55 Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 AM

We commonly:

1) Bake chicken, shred and freeze it for quick use in a zillion different dinners/soups. We do the same with ground turkey (so much easier than frying/browning) and leftover roasted turkey (diced for use in a pot-pie, etc.)
2) Freeze homemade turkey sausage (just turkey in patties seasoned with a few seasonings and fried.)
3) Freeze pre-made turkey burgers and turkey meatloaf raw.
4) Bake diced sweet potatos, butternut squash and pears then freeze in small 1 cup containers for quick lunches.
5) Homemade muffins and breads freeze wonderfully for us (no texture issues.)
6) Bake and freeze apple turkey fingers and breaded chicken nuggets.
7) Chop bell peppers and freeze for quick use in recipes.
8) Slice carrots and celery then steam or water blanch and freeze for quick use later.
9) I have a good allergen free white sauce that I improvised for a 'cream of something soup' replacement. It uses onion, garlic, chicken broth, rice milk and flour. I've frozen it in casseroles and by itself for use in recipes.
10) Bake meatballs and freeze.
11) Chicken enchiladas w/rice freeze well.
12) I generally don't like soup frozen but I have a yummy and simple veggie soup that does. It is basically chicken broth, diced tomatoes, alphabet pasta (no texture issues), carrots, onion and celery. I love this stuff and could eat it every day.

Prior to cutting out tomatoes, we often froze sloppy joes, chili and numerous tomato casserole dishes. Oh how I long for the day we can hopefully eat tomatoes often again.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#51 of 55 Old 11-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Anyone else have recipes? I'm pregnant and preparing for postpartem times.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#52 of 55 Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM

subbing
#53 of 55 Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM

#54 of 55 Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I froze pancakes for years. I just stacked them in quantities that would make one person's meal and put that stack in a ziploc. When we wanted to eat them, we would put the stack on a plate, microwave them one minute, then separate them and microwave them another 2 minutes.
We just stick them in the toaster.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#55 of 55 Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page