Anyone have an allergic child then go on to have one w/o? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From read people's posts on here and on other forums/blogs as well as IRL friends, it seems that allergies tend to get worse with each subsequent child. Is there any research to back this up?

Have any of you had one child with allergies/intolerances then gone on to have another child who is fine?

I'd like some hope!!!!
#2 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM

Our first has absolutely no allergies.

Our second has life threatening allergies to milk, egg, peanut, and treenuts. Also allergic to dogs, cats, environments, drugs, mold, etc.

Our third is 16 mo.s old and was recently allergy tested. Completely negative. No allergic signs like we saw with our second. Does have eczema but that is been easy to control with frequent bathes and regular old lotion. : So far, so good with this one

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 AM

Our first has no allergies, our second has a dairy intolerance we only recently discovered, our third is full of allergies, food and environmental, our fourth has two mild sensitivities and no other signs. I did a lot of healing between my 3rd and 4th babies, which is why I think he's better off.
#4 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
Our first has absolutely no allergies.

Our second has life threatening allergies to milk, egg, peanut, and treenuts. Also allergic to dogs, cats, environments, drugs, mold, etc.

Our third is 16 mo.s old and was recently allergy tested. Completely negative. No allergic signs like we saw with our second. Does have eczema but that is been easy to control with frequent bathes and regular old lotion. : So far, so good with this one
That's great to hear! Did you do anything different?
#5 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Our first has no allergies, our second has a dairy intolerance we only recently discovered, our third is full of allergies, food and environmental, our fourth has two mild sensitivities and no other signs. I did a lot of healing between my 3rd and 4th babies, which is why I think he's better off.
Very interesting. I need to do some research on healing the gut. Any good links?
#6 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering on allergies vs. intolerances if there's a difference. Allergies seem like they'd be a crapshoot... DH has seasonal allergies + I have seasonal allergies. It goes down to the whole genetic thing of some of them might have it, some might not. But with intolerances, if it's because of leaky gut, and you don't do any healing, you'll get the subsequent worsening. That's just my theory from thinking about this thread.

I have DD1 (allergies to cat, dust)
DS (allergy to ragweed, intolerant to dairy, corn, egg, gluten, soy, etc. etc.)
DD2 (allergy to amoxicillan, some type of seasonal, and intolerant to dairy, corn, gluten, soy, beef, apple, etc. etc.)

I did no "healing" between DS and DD2 because I didn't know that my gut had anything to do with theirs.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Oldest child has food, drug, pollen and dander allergies along with eczema. At one point he had a long list of food allergies that's now much shorter.

Second son has very mild seasonal allergies and occasional mild eczema.

Daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, milk, keflex, and has dander allergies along with eczema.

Youngest son has no allergies, and no history of eczema.

My kids allergies are IgE mediated.
#8 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM

My second is better off than my first for sure, of course that could be partially due to the fact that I caught hers earlier and prevented further damage. I am hoping that #3 is even better as I am now and have been gf/df for a bit now and this is my first pregnancy that way. Last time I ate significantly less and tried to keep the dairy to cultured dairy but this time I am having none. I have done some soy as a trial, but think I will keep it to a very spaced rotation w/ fermented only. I guess I will see in 6 months or so. Of course being I really cannot have the foods myself it will be a while in testing. I think they will be better off w/out it in there system though.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#9 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Watching this thread.

Thinking my summer project will be to increase my diligence about gut healing.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM

A (almost 4-years old) is allergic to dairy, eggs, corn, tree pollen, grass, dust, ragweed.

J (almost 2-years old) is allergic to nothing.

Live and love with your whole being.
#11 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
That's great to hear! Did you do anything different?
Yes! I eliminated fish, shellfish, peanuts and treenuts during the 3rd trimester and have continued to avoid while breastfeeding. I also limited my dairy and egg consumption during this time. I ate tons of peanut butter, eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc while preg. w/#2 to help control my blood sugar.

Exclusively breastfed for seven months with this one. Slowly introduced foods using the Joneja scale as a guide. Had used formula a few times with #2 and took no precautions in introducing foods or delaying the introduction of any foods with #2.

Baby #2 also had frequent ear infections and baby #3 has had no illnesses other than colds during her life (knock on wood).

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#12 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I'm wondering on allergies vs. intolerances if there's a difference. Allergies seem like they'd be a crapshoot... DH has seasonal allergies + I have seasonal allergies. It goes down to the whole genetic thing of some of them might have it, some might not. But with intolerances, if it's because of leaky gut, and you don't do any healing, you'll get the subsequent worsening. That's just my theory from thinking about this thread.
Genes give us tendencies, but I don't think either of my kids, even my son who's very similar to me, health-wise, will have enviro allergies I do because I've figured out why I have them and I'm fixing that in both of us. It seems like a methylation/detoxification issue for us. I agree that my daughter is not likely to have enviro allergies, being a little clone of DH, but his issues, which I think include a really leaky gut, aren't inevitable either. I'm trying (struggling at times) to figure out the nutrients she needs more of so that her gut is good and stays good. So far gluten and dairy are out, but I don't think she's got other intolerances vs DS, whose intolerances seem to go up and down based on how he's detoxifying more than being gut-related.

I guess I'm still in the wildly optimistic phase, because I think I understand why DD and DS have the health issues they do, and their nutrient needs seem different (I'm sure I have more to learn), and as I fix that in all three of us, I am hopeful that kiddo #3 (potential child, probably at least 2 years out!) will have good health, though I'm not certain gluten will be doable even then.
#13 of 22 Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM

We have friends with 6 kids. Only one is allergic to peanuts.
#14 of 22 Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM

This is very interesting to me. DD is intolerant to dairy and eggs, oranges, blueberries, and a few other things I'd like to test. The pedi-allergist thinks I'm nuts and refuses to test.

While figuring out DD's problems DH and I discovered our own intolerances: Dh with dairy and myself with eggs. To boot I drank some orange juice a few weeks ago and got eczema on my hands and ate a banana with hives as a result. I'm off those indefinitely.

I'm scared these things will effect the new baby ... whom I think just had the hiccups!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#15 of 22 Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 PM

both my kids are screwed up--realized this might be offensive--their guts are!

DS1 is celiac - IgE to egg, intolerant to dairy --i dunno what to pears and tomatoes and bananas and we are still learning.

DD2 is allergic to dairy, soy, bananas, raw carrots, intolerant to brocolli (gastro symptoms) and still learning.

I sure hesitate having lots of kids at this rate. I really think that I have issues with gluten too and hope that going off gluten and doing probiotics (gonna start sometime here) will hopefully heal my screwed up gut from dairy and gluten and hopefully that will help not give me an allergenic 3rd.
#16 of 22 Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM

DD1--ana to peanuts--outgrown intolerance to dairy, soy, strawberries

DD2--no allergies or intolerance

DS3--still trying to figure it out--almost 7mos drinks elemental formula--reacts to dairy, soy, bananas, rice, carrots, pears, coconut milk

I'd like to have one more baby but after this last one, I am nervous! I have never done gut healing for myself though. That's something I will be starting.
#17 of 22 Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM

DD #1 - ana to peanuts, allergic to eggs, intolerant of tomatoes, has occasional eczema (brought on by tomatoes and something else we can't figure out). This dd also has alopecia.

DD #2 - absolutely no allergies or eczema

DD #3 - allergic to eggs and milk (pretty severe but not ana. as far as we know). Has mild asthma and eczema that is getting better as she grows (she's 6)

DD#4 - no food allergies. Mild eczema.

DS (son #1, kid #5 ) - only 1.5 years old, but no food allergies that we can tell. mild eczema.

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#18 of 22 Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

DD1 - ana to peanuts, has outgrown eggs, milk, strawberries, bananas, has asthma, controlled eczema, and heartburn/reflux

DD2 - no known allergies, oddly has had several ear infections and older sis has never had one

What I did differently - much lower stress level during pregnancy, no abx (had two rounds for acne and an ingrown toenail during 1st pg), avoided peanuts. DD2 has still never had peanuts, except in possible trace amounts.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#19 of 22 Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 PM

My 8 yo ds has severe allergies and asthma. My 3 yo ds has excema that seems to flair up when he eats dairy, but that's it. Way less severe then 8 yo. So, I think there's hope. Also, during 2nd ds's pregnancy I was naughty and ate all the things I wasn't supposed to, like peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs etc....all the things my 8 yo is allergic to and it didn't seem to cause my lo to have severe allergies too. Hope that all makes sense and good luck.
#20 of 22 Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 PM

DS - ana to peanuts and cashews, allergic to most all other tree nuts and soy. I'm beginning to suspect milk intollerance, so am preparing to trial that. I suspect some environmental allergies, but our last test was negative. He had some health complications at birth, so was on some major abx in the first 6 months.

DD - no food allergies, suspect mild environmental allergies.

In my first pregnancy and while bf'ing, I ate nut products every day. No limitations on any foods, was employed full time and ate a lot more restaurant and take out food.
In my 2nd pregnancy and while bf'ing, I avoided all nuts and was cautious with fish and seafood. On the whole, I ate more healthily, less stress, and got more rest and exercise.

If I was going to have a 3rd, I'd do some major preparation before becoming pregnant, although I think I've healed my gut fairly well. Wish I had been taking probiotics during both of my pregnancies.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#21 of 22 Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM

If it is relevant: I have pollen allegies but my sister, 4 years younger, does not.

I eat well, she eats junk (sometimes living on nothing but Hershey bars). I sleep regularly, she has a very erratic schedule, which often involves very late nights. I have a generally positive outlook on life, and she is miserable and frustrated with the world. I occasionally have a glass of wine, while she drinks a lot, alcohol and coffee, and has smoked on and off and done a variety of drugs. Even so, with all these good health factors in my favor and bad heath factors against her, she is healthy and I have issues.

Thank goodness she is healthy!

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#22 of 22 Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM

my first two have no allergies.

my third had terrible eczema starting at 2 months (exclusively breastfed), which has now vanished as i've been on a total elimination diet for almost 4 months. so far he reacts to a handful of foods.

my diet this last pregnancy (and in general) was healthier than ever, so i'm still puzzled....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page