Need Some Quick/Easy Portable Meal Ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I decided we're taking a little road trip tomorrow to the water park. We just went gluten free about 2 weeks ago so now most of my "easy" ideas are gone. Neither dd nor I can eat anything at the water park or out to eat so we need to bring all our food with us for the day. We are dairy, egg, corn, soy, gluten, avocado, peaches, and lima bean free. We tried strawberries the other day and I don't think it was a success.

We do have a cooler but I also won't want to mess with heating anything up or cooking anything via mini-grill so we'll be eating everything "cold."

Ideas? I'm at a loss.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#2 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM

We eat lots of Mary's Gone Crackers and sardines. Wraps with brown rice tortillas (Food for Life brand, they don't wrap very well so I make it like quesidilla style), salad mix, chicken or turkey, spread with pesto of choice (I love cilantro, I make it with just evoo and lemon or lime juice). Rice pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, olives, roasted red peppers, etc with acv/evoo dressing. I practically live off my apple dip - sunflower seed butter (or other nut butter), coconut oil, and raw honey. Trail mix with raisins, coconut chips, pumpkin seeds. Larabars. Rice or tapioca pudding. I sometimes buy Dole or Del Monte fruit cups if I'm desperate.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 PM

I've been wanting to post a thread like this. I hope you get lots of responses.

I would say homemade hummus with raw vegetables, rice crackers and/or "chips" made out of rice tortillas (I cut them into wedges and bake).

Wraps with cold cuts. This recipe is SO easy and quick, if you've got gf flours in your kitchen.

Make and freeze some gf muffins to take along. The ones that contain a fruit puree (banana, pumpkin, applesauce, etc.) stay moist much longer than ones that don't.

What about cold fried chicken?
#4 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM

buckwheat english muffin with honey and/or nut butter or avocado and deli turkey (if you can find a safe one).

fruit

carrot/celery/pepper sticks (if you have coconut yogurt, you can make a savory dip with minced onion and dill)

my kids will eat cold chickpeas out of a can but maybe they're just weird. they'll eat cold rice noodles too.

And DD2 thinks her new treat is Enjoy life chocolate chips mixed with puffed millet cereal.

rice cakes with peanut butter and honey

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been able to find guar gum anywhere and I can't use xanthum gum due to the corn allergy so many many GF recipes I can't make

Chinese, in that recipe you posted, which looks awesome btw, what do you sub for the buttermilk/non-dairy powder? I haven't found any that are corn free. Is it just for flavoring?

Thanks for the hummus idea...dd was eating and loving hummus all last week and after we ran out it's like I forgot it existed!

Oh and Kathy I just ordered that buckwheat pete cookbook you talked about on your website, maybe I'll get some good recipes out of it.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#6 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Oh and Kathy I just ordered that buckwheat pete cookbook you talked about on your website, maybe I'll get some good recipes out of it.
So far I made muffins that I wasn't that happy with. But the english muffin one is very versatile. I'm going to try to make pizza with it from the "ricotta" someone linked recently. I've got to figure out a better way to make crackers out of it then just letting it go stale though! I can't use guar or xanthan either and it's been frustrating to say the least.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't been able to find guar gum anywhere and I can't use xanthum gum due to the corn allergy so many many GF recipes I can't make

Chinese, in that recipe you posted, which looks awesome btw, what do you sub for the buttermilk/non-dairy powder? I haven't found any that are corn free. Is it just for flavoring?
Shoot, I hope you can find guar. They have it at Amazon for really cheap.

My buttermilk sub was to use 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar and rice milk instead of water. It came out great.
#8 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's so silly, I live in this huge metropolitan area and yet I can't find anything! When I first moved here I was really excited thinking they'd have so much more available but I was so wrong! When I went to visit my parents last year in their little midwest tiny town they had some AWESOME HFS with a great selection.

I saw the guar gum on amazon but you have to buy 6 at a time. Plus of course I can't get it in time for our trip tomorrow.

I got that e-book (www.buckwheatpete.com I think) and I'm going to give the english muffins a try tonight. If they turn out they will be a nice easy portable option tomorrow.

#9 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I got that e-book (www.buckwheatpete.com I think) and I'm going to give the english muffins a try tonight. If they turn out they will be a nice easy portable option tomorrow.
Make sure you cool the goo. If you put it in piping hot, they don't rise as much (learned that on the third batch by doing it right).

We've toasted it and used it as hamburger buns, toasted and put palm shortening and cinnamon-sugar on it, peanut butter-honey sandwich, sprout-turkey-avocado sandwich (for me).

#10 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
buckwheat english muffin with honey and/or nut butter or avocado and deli turkey (if you can find a safe one).

Boar's Head All Natural turkey, ham, roast beef, etc...they're totally safe (even for my GF family with multiple allergies) and they're all DELICIOUS!! I like to stack the meats on rice crackers with Boar's Head Honey Mustard for a quick snack...great with sliced cheese too, if you can do dairy. Throw in some fresh fruit, carrots with hummus or other dip, and you're good to go!
#11 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think the Boar's Head is safe for corn allergies. Applegate farms is supposed to be but there's too much contamination from the deli. Dd is OK if I eat it but she can't eat it without reacting.

I just came back from 3 different Whole Foods and 1 TJs and still no guar gum and none of them even understood what it was. Also it took 2 Whole Foods before I could find buckwheat flour of any kind. This place stinks.

#12 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Are you corn free, CP? I keep thinking you are... You use Boar's Head don't you?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#13 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 PM

My zucchini muffins (recipe is somewhere in the sticky) are my only quick grab-and-go snack. Oh, and sunflower & pumpkin seeds mixed with raisins, trailmix style.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#14 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think the Boar's Head is safe for corn allergies. Applegate farms is supposed to be but there's too much contamination from the deli. Dd is OK if I eat it but she can't eat it without reacting.

I just came back from 3 different Whole Foods and 1 TJs and still no guar gum and none of them even understood what it was. Also it took 2 Whole Foods before I could find buckwheat flour of any kind. This place stinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Are you corn free, CP? I keep thinking you are... You use Boar's Head don't you?
Yeah, only the low sodium turkey and the low sodium roast beef are corn-free and everything else free. The others contain corn, and I think some of the hard salamis (or dry cured stuff) might contain dairy, too, but I could be wrong.
#15 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Kathy, this tapioca stuff in these english muffins is really weird! They're cooking right now though and they do seem to be coming out ok so far though.

Chinese, is it the pre-packaged Boar's Head or the deli stuff?

So far on my list of stuff we are taking tomorrow are bananas, apples, grapes, raisins, fruit dip, potato chips, broccoli, hummus, hot dogs, english muffins with honey on them, applesauce, and yogurt. Oh and some new crackers I found tonight but I'm thinking they won't taste very good since the only ingredients are brown rice and salt.

#16 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Oh and some new crackers I found tonight but I'm thinking they won't taste very good since the only ingredients are brown rice and salt.
Actually, I love those things, and so do both my kids, if they're what I'm thinking of (round, in a plastic package?). Have fun at the water park - when we do something like that, my kids mostly don't eat until we get home anyhow . Sounds like you have a great list of portable food.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#17 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Actually, I love those things, and so do both my kids, if they're what I'm thinking of (round, in a plastic package?).
Bleck. I can't even stand to be in the same room with those things- the smell alone makes me nauseous. DP on the other hand loves them and can polish off an entire package in like 10 minutes.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#18 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 AM

A few portable foods I like:
Cut up chunks of whatever meat I have left over in the fridge,
crunchy veggies and hummus
Fruits
Jicama sticks or slices
Salmon salad (Just canned salmon mixed with whatever tasty looking veggies I have to chop into it, maybe some apple bits or raisins, maybe mustard, etc.) I use lettuce leafs for a wrap
black bean mixed with chopped tomato

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#19 of 19 Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Chinese, is it the pre-packaged Boar's Head or the deli stuff?

So far on my list of stuff we are taking tomorrow are bananas, apples, grapes, raisins, fruit dip, potato chips, broccoli, hummus, hot dogs, english muffins with honey on them, applesauce, and yogurt. Oh and some new crackers I found tonight but I'm thinking they won't taste very good since the only ingredients are brown rice and salt.
Deli stuff. But then I guess I should say that allergic dd doesn't eat it, so if there's cross contam, I wouldn't know (ds doesn't have issues with ME eating it, despite his nursing).

I love those rice crackers with guacamole:

One more thought, besides rice pasta salad, you could also do a cold rice and bean salad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page