Baking sweets and breads--questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are doing gluten, dairy, egg free. Still on the fence with corn derivatives.

My initial attempts at GFCF, egg free baking have not been very sucessful.

We don't ordinarilly do many baked goods and sweets of this nature, but I was hoping to come up with a few decent "go to" recipes for when I had a sweet carb craving I needed to fullfill.

We've done the box brownies and cookies, but they all have seemed way to sweet for me, and left me wth that sugar coma feeling you get from too many sugars floating around in your body unbalanced by proteins. Plus they're pricey and I'd rather buy in bulk anyway.

I tried a few rounds of pumpkin breads and such with primarily rice flour, tapioca, and garbanzo flour. I've tried the Bobs mix (which I think I don't like) and one other.

Can anyone give me the run down on the basic baking flours?

Quinoa and Almond seem good, but very pricey. Millet? At this point I'll probably just be buying them in the store, but if/when I have more time I'd like to look into home grinding.

My first attempts at sweet breads all left me with a nasty chalky metal-like aftertaste. Someone told me this was probably the tapioca flour. Do you know what taste I am talking about? I really hope to avoid that in the future, whatever it is!

And what about the guar gum and xantham gums? what roles do these ingredients fulfill?

Anyone want to share with me your list of basic on hnd ingredients you like to have around for basic baking?

I know this is a lot of questions. I've been digging around online and haven;t found much in the way of ingredient reviews, primarily recipes that for the most part are variations on the rice/tapioca/bean flour theme.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM

I find that gf/ef baking works best with additions such as pumpkin or applesauce, they seem to help bind and moisten them.

I also find that cookies, bars, or cupcakes work better then cakes (with the exception of a pumpkin cake that I make regularly) or breads. I also tend to make on a semi regular basis: Chocolate Chip Cookies w/brown rice flour, a little tapioca and a little potato flour, sometimes millet flour (I hate the taste of the millet flour though), and sometimes barley flour (which works the best but is cheating cause it does contain a small amount of gluten); GF Scones that come out nice, again similar flour blends as above; and also Cornmeal 'scones' (that's what I call them) and they come out good too.

So, as long as I have these types of yummies on hand my kids seem pretty content. I actually decrease the sugar in the pumpkin cake quite often and we have it for breakfast.

I've never tried bean or nut flours cause we have to avoid those too.

I am planning on purchasing some xantham gum, though I've never used it but have heard good things about it, cause I am feverishly trying to create the perfect (if there is such a thing gf white cake, and I think the missing link is the xantham gum.

I'd love to try to share my recipes with you, let me know if you want them. The only problem is that I am one of those bakeers that never makes it the same twice, so I could give you my 'kind of' recipe and then you'll just have to tweak it with your flours etc. At least it's nice sometimes to have a tried and true starting point with this type of baking!

Good luck
#3 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! And yes, I'd love to see your recipes especially for pumpkin cake and choc chip cookies. I LOVE pumpkin and squashes and use them a lot. Apples are on our 'no' list right now so I will hold off on the applesauce.
#4 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post

I tried a few rounds of pumpkin breads and such with primarily rice flour, tapioca, and garbanzo flour. I've tried the Bobs mix (which I think I don't like) and one other.

Quinoa and Almond seem good, but very pricey. Millet? At this point I'll probably just be buying them in the store, but if/when I have more time I'd like to look into home grinding.

I'm a fan of millet, sorghum and gf oat flours. I have an all-purpose gf mixture I put together with rice flours, and I sometimes use it for part of the flour in recipes and fill out the rest with the millet, sorghum and/or oat. The rice flour mix is this: 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup arrowroot starch, 1/2 cup tapioca starch. It's really starchy and smells like plaster of paris to me, which is why I try to use the other flours first.

Quinoa tastes bitter to me and almond is pricey. I know some people use coconut flour, too (also pricey). Buckwheat flour is cheap and versatile and has good texture but my dd reacts to it so I don't use it. Hopefully Kathy can comment on that.

My first attempts at sweet breads all left me with a nasty chalky metal-like aftertaste. Someone told me this was probably the tapioca flour. Do you know what taste I am talking about? I really hope to avoid that in the future, whatever it is! The only time I've had that is when I used too much baking soda.

And what about the guar gum and xantham gums? what roles do these ingredients fulfill?Gluten is like a glue that binds a bread together and keeps moisture in. The gums help gf flours to stick together. They're not so good with the moisture part though. I like fruit purees in gf muffins to keep them moist.

Anyone want to share with me your list of basic on hnd ingredients you like to have around for basic baking?
I grind my own millet and oat. I've bought flour from Bob's Red Mill and Authentic Foods. All my flours are the ones I mentioned plus guar gum. Also vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, canned pumpkin, applesauce.

I know this is a lot of questions. I've been digging around online and haven;t found much in the way of ingredient reviews, primarily recipes that for the most part are variations on the rice/tapioca/bean flour theme.
Yeah, I can't stand bean flours. I highly recommend millet, sorghum and gf oat
I should comment that I'm a gf baking newbie, buy so far I've been happy with the recipes I've tried. GF blogs are my favorite source for recipes and reviews.
#5 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick&jonmom View Post
I find that gf/ef baking works best with additions such as pumpkin or applesauce, they seem to help bind and moisten them.

I also find that cookies, bars, or cupcakes work better then cakes (with the exception of a pumpkin cake that I make regularly) or breads. I also tend to make on a semi regular basis: Chocolate Chip Cookies w/brown rice flour, a little tapioca and a little potato flour, sometimes millet flour (I hate the taste of the millet flour though), and sometimes barley flour (which works the best but is cheating cause it does contain a small amount of gluten); GF Scones that come out nice, again similar flour blends as above; and also Cornmeal 'scones' (that's what I call them) and they come out good too.

So, as long as I have these types of yummies on hand my kids seem pretty content. I actually decrease the sugar in the pumpkin cake quite often and we have it for breakfast.

I've never tried bean or nut flours cause we have to avoid those too.

I am planning on purchasing some xantham gum, though I've never used it but have heard good things about it, cause I am feverishly trying to create the perfect (if there is such a thing gf white cake, and I think the missing link is the xantham gum.

I'd love to try to share my recipes with you, let me know if you want them. The only problem is that I am one of those bakeers that never makes it the same twice, so I could give you my 'kind of' recipe and then you'll just have to tweak it with your flours etc. At least it's nice sometimes to have a tried and true starting point with this type of baking!

Good luck
I'm salivating--can you post recipes? Esp the choc chip cookies abd pumpkin cake? DD's bday is sunday and these would be perfect!
(end of hijack!)
gfgoddess has a good irish soda bread that does well with gelatin or ener-g's egg replacer...
I like borwn rice flour and tapioca combo (2:1)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#6 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Barley is a no-go for someone that needs to eat gluten-free.
#7 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you! And yes, I'd love to see your recipes especially for pumpkin cake and choc chip cookies. I LOVE pumpkin and squashes and use them a lot. Apples are on our 'no' list right now so I will hold off on the applesauce.
We can't do apples either, but in my limited amount of baking I've found that zucchinis (peeled & steamed) work really good. I make some zucchini muffins that are pretty good- the recipe is in the sticky. I've recently started adding grated carrots to the recipe for some added nutrition too.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#8 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
We are doing gluten, dairy, egg free. Still on the fence with corn derivatives.

My initial attempts at GFCF, egg free baking have not been very sucessful.

We don't ordinarilly do many baked goods and sweets of this nature, but I was hoping to come up with a few decent "go to" recipes for when I had a sweet carb craving I needed to fullfill.

We've done the box brownies and cookies, but they all have seemed way to sweet for me, and left me wth that sugar coma feeling you get from too many sugars floating around in your body unbalanced by proteins. Plus they're pricey and I'd rather buy in bulk anyway.

I really like almond but really think that it would be hard to use w/out eggs. At least I haven't run across any egg free recipes- but that of course doesn't mean they aren't out there. Quinoa flour can have a bitter taste.

I think the safest and easiest bets are brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and potato starch for some basics. I just used some millet flour- don't have much experience with it. Here is a break down of different flours:
http://glutenfreemommy.com/gluten-fr...t-flour-blend/

My first attempts at sweet breads all left me with a nasty chalky metal-like aftertaste. Someone told me this was probably the tapioca flour. Do you know what taste I am talking about? I really hope to avoid that in the future, whatever it is!
I had tapioca flour before with no problem but the new Bob's Red Mill has exactly that flavor. So- I have been using potato and corn starch instead
And what about the guar gum and xantham gums? what roles do these ingredients fulfill?
The gums help your recipes "stick" together better as w/out the gluten they can be kind of crumbly
Basics as I said to start out w/ brown rice,, sorghum, and a starch- like potato- xanthum or guar gum. You will also need some apple cider vinegar. Lots of dishes use a fair amount of yeast or baking soda and/or baking powder. Almond flour is a good milk powder replacer. Gelatin is called for as an egg replacer or the EnergG egg replacer Or flaxseeds.
Personally I would stay away from bean flour- at least at first some people love it but lots don't I would stick to the basics. You can replace the tapioca starch w/ another starch and I would use just brown rice but a mix of brown rice and sorghum- rice can have a grittiness to it. Or you could mix it with millet or another flour
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh- and I think someone else already mentioned check out gluten free goddess blog- she has lots of gf/df/ef recipes and everything I have tried of hers has been great. Or search for gluten free vegan recipes.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#9 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM

I mainly use sorghum, buckwheat, tapioca starch, and xanthum. I like the hearty flavor of buckwheat with the sweetness of sorghum. Sometimes I grind almonds to add in. I'm using flax to replace egg. I love, love, love Karina's recipes at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

My fav so far has been the banana snacking cake. It's yummy. I universally sub coconut oil for all oils/shortening, halve the sugar, and use sweet potato/squash/banana/applesauce interchangeably.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#10 of 25 Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM

I like the Namaste brand mixes...their Blondies are habit-forming! They're all good as far as I've seen, and GFCF, no soy, nuts, dairy, etc. Just use egg replacer and you should be fine! Never did figure out all the "from scratch" GF baking tricks, so this is my go-to when I want to bake. Guess I'll be watching this thread for tips.
#11 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 AM

See, I love reading those recipes, but when it comes down to it, I have all these weird flours, some purchased almost a year ago, but I STILL don't have all the ingredients on hand. And I can usually (pre-allergy days) do subbing when I don't have an ingredient, but...

tapioca starch?
xantham gum? - I'm thinking another binder like gelatin?
potato starch?

coconut flour (can I use rice flour?)
almond meal (can I use buckwheat? we can't do nuts)
Dash of stevia powder, to taste (Can I use ...to taste...can I just skip it?)

I am taking DS to his first birthday party tomorrow (as an attendee), and I am looking to bring a treat for the 2 of us.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
See, I love reading those recipes, but when it comes down to it, I have all these weird flours, some purchased almost a year ago, but I STILL don't have all the ingredients on hand. And I can usually (pre-allergy days) do subbing when I don't have an ingredient, but...

tapioca starch?
xantham gum? - I'm thinking another binder like gelatin?
potato starch?

I am taking DS to his first birthday party tomorrow (as an attendee), and I am looking to bring a treat for the 2 of us.
See, and I finally broke down and bought everything and it's been SO easy to make things since. Mostly, I search for recipes on blogs and if the reviews are overwhelmingly good, I give it a go. What I've found is that you can swap out starches: arrowroot, tapioca, potato, or cornstarch. Millet, sorghum and oat can all be swapped with each other, too. Some rice flour (sweet, white or brown) is good in many recipes because it's gummy and can kind of keep things together. Too much though and it's *too* gummy.

And a lot this is just trial and error. Find a recipe that looks good and give it a go
#13 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

CP covered the other parts but wanted to cover this.

Coconut flour cannot be subbed for other flour, not easily anyway- it has a huge fiber content. Almond meal could be subbed with other nut meals. Stevia is a sweetner. The problem w/ subbing for it is that it takes such a little to sweeten w/ it so replacing it w/ something else will likely screw w/ your dry volume so then you will have to tweak other things. I would look for recipes more specific to what you have on hand. Maybe if you tell us what you have and what are your allergies we can find a recipe for you.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#14 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!!!

So where do you all get your sorghum flour? I can't find it any of our local grocers.

For those of you who dislike millet flour, is there any quantity you can tolerate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Oh- and I think someone else already mentioned check out gluten free goddess blog- she has lots of gf/df/ef recipes and everything I have tried of hers has been great. Or search for gluten free vegan recipes.
yeah i have been here--seems like a fair amount have eggs and I am not adept yet replacements--replacing eggs, which may require replacing nut flours etc.

Are the starch powders generally necessary? They seem like such empty ingredienty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
What I've found is that you can swap out starches: arrowroot, tapioca, potato, or cornstarch. Millet, sorghum and oat can all be swapped with each other, too. Some rice flour (sweet, white or brown) is good in many recipes because it's gummy and can kind of keep things together. Too much though and it's *too* gummy.
Great to know, thank you! I have found the few things I've made to be quite gummy.
#15 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I wil be happy to post my recipes, I haven't forgotten, just super
busy!!!

Look in the next day or two and they will be here!
#16 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and what about sprouted rice flour? Can this be used interchangably with regular rice flour?
#17 of 25 Old 05-23-2009, 07:07 PM

OK, here are some of my recipes:

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1/2 cup margerine or shortening (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup sugar (white/brown or combo or whatever you use to sweeten)
1 egg replacer (I use EnerG egg replacer)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/8 cups flour (I use brown rice flour with 1/2 TBLSPN tapioca starch and 1 TBLSPN potato flour; also, if you can handle some gluten, barley flour works wonderfully)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)

Cream margerine and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix flour, salt and soda together then add all at once to margerine mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tsp. onto cookie sheets and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Cool before trying to take off cookie sheet.
NOTE: I find that if I refrigerate the dough first and roll them into balls, the cookies come out a little more cake-like. If I use dough at room temp, they spread out and get more crispy.
Subbing a TBLSPN or 2 of applesauce for the margerine helps to bind them.

I change my ingredients around a lot, so I really use the recipes as a guide; just use the ingredients you have and play around using the recipe as a guide till you find what works best to your tastes.

OK, my lo just got up and needs lunch, so I'll post more later!
#18 of 25 Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that! will wait patiently for the pumpkin....

and anyone use the sprouted rice flour???
#19 of 25 Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Hi again!

Here's my pumpkin cakerecipe. It has 1/4 cup barley flour in it, so just sub that for something else if you are entirely gluten free. I've tried millet flour, but I find the flavor of millet to be bitter and so didn't care for it.

PUMPKIN CAKE

1 C brown rice flour
1/4 C barley flour
2 T potato starch
1 T tapioca flour
2/3 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 C oil
1/3 C water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C pumpkin (I use canned pumpkin-Libby's)
1 egg replacer (I use EnerG)

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another. Add wet to dry and mix thoroughly. Pour in a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 oven for appx 30 minutes. Check for doneness by lightly tapping top, if it springs back it's done, if it sinks cook longer. Cool and then either frost with powdered sugar glaze or you can bake it with a streusel topping (recipe follows).

STREUSEL TOPPING

1/4 C sugar
2 T flour (rice works well)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp cold margerine (I use Earth Balance) (If you use shortening I think you'd need to add a pinch of salt)

In a small bowl combine the flour and cinnamon, mix in margerine until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter before baking.

Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Decrease the sugar slightly and it makes a really yummy breakfast cake that I serve with organic bacon-our favorite breakfast of all times around here! Also, this recipe is very versatile: double it for a 9x13 pan, make muffins with it, sub applesauce for the pumpkin to make more of a 'white' cake, or whatever else you come up with. I have rarely screwed this one up with my experimenting!
#20 of 25 Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I made this 4 minutes after you posted it (I was searching around for recipes) with a few changes.

I subbd buckwheat for the barley flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar for white, and used a bit more pumpkin. And I added some cardamom and cinnamon too.

MMMMMMM
it's almost half gone and I am the only one who's eaten it :

Being gluten-dairy-egg free, it didn't "rise" in the traditional way, but it is the first thing I've made that is more cake-like than bar-like.
#21 of 25 Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM

So glad you like it!! Maybe try adding alittle more baking powder and/or less pumpkin and that may heklp it rise a bit more. Also, if it's seeming really heavy, add a little more baking soda to lighten it up some. I'm telling you, this is a recipe I've probably made a hundred different ways, and always comes out edible, sometimes better then others, but it always gets eaten up. (Oh, and don't feel bad, I usually eat 1/2 of it to myself evertime I make it; I just keep picking and picking until oops, it's half gone!) Hmmm.......I wonder if that's why I keep gaining weight?

Let me know if you make changes that come out good, I always love experimenting with new ideas.
#22 of 25 Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm attempting the pumpkin cake recipe with bananas because I have some very speckly ones onhand, and I'm just realizing that I omitted the baking powder last time, so maybe that's why i did not get much of a rise? I didn't miss it though! This time I'll keep it in to help balance the heavyness of the bananas.
#23 of 25 Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Yummy! Let me know how it comes out; I've strangely never tried it with bananas but can't see why it wouldn't be delicious!

Oh, and I would definatly think that if you put the baking powder in you will get a much better rise on the cake.
#24 of 25 Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, verdict is that the banana version was better right out of the oven, when we were starvin, than a day later. It was on the dry side. It did not rise any more, height-wise, than the pumpkin I made without the baking powder. I also used sprouted rice flour for this one. I might try again adding an additional banana or some other wet ingredient to moisten it up a bit.
#25 of 25 Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 AM

I saw a post recently that said something about gluten free baked goods will be dry unless you add something like xanthan gum. Never tried it and I dont' recall having a problem with this cake being dry...but the xanthan gum could be worth a try if it continues to come out dry for you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page