Gluten free AND dairy free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused. Why is gluten-free so often accompanied for dairy-free? Is it casein that can be found in both foods? Does anyone have a resource for food lists that will cover for GF and DF kids at once? I'd like some ideas, but am a little lost on where to start. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

I know for people w/ gluten sensitivities, the intestines and stomach are damaged and often can't process lactose. It's something that for celiacs in particular they can have after they are fully healed though.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

No, there's no common protein. However, supposedly the casein protein resembles the gluten protein in structure. I can't remember whose blog I read that on, but she was a biochemical engineer and had the same question...
I know there are a bunch of GFCF lists out there but I haven't used any of them so I'm useless in that area.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GFCF is gluten-free/casein-free and it's often recommended for kids with autism. You can find some recipes by searching for that. You might be able to find info about the similarities of the proteins too. From our unofficial survey here, they are the top two intolerances. dogtorj.net has information on why the top 4 (dairy, gluten, soy and corn) are the top contenders for intolerances and how they cause the other intolerances (hint: they're all used in the manufacture of glue/adhesives; no wonder they're hard to digest!).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Gluten-free, casein-free (also "dairy-free") is a really common combination. You can google and finds tons of info and recipes. Many of us here avoid the two. For recipes, I search for gluten-free blogs and just use substitute dairy products (like shortening for butter or rice milk for cow's milk). The gluten part is trickier to substitute without a specific recipe, imo.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM

People who are allergic to gluten are often allergic to casein and dairy as well and casein is a hard to digest protein found in eggs and dairy products.

Binding agents listed as whey or having words like lactoglobin, lactose of delactosed whey will also contain casein but candies and other foods often contain the common allergen without it's being listed. 

Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelHaygoodNC View Post

People who are allergic to gluten are often allergic to casein and dairy as well and casein is a hard to digest protein found in eggs and dairy products.

Binding agents listed as whey or having words like lactoglobin, lactose of delactosed whey will also contain casein but candies and other foods often contain the common allergen without it's being listed. 

Ummm... casein is a milk protein. It is not found in eggs. And this thread is more than 2 years old. wink1.gif

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

No, there's no common protein. However, supposedly the casein protein resembles the gluten protein in structure. I can't remember whose blog I read that on, but she was a biochemical engineer and had the same question...
I know there are a bunch of GFCF lists out there but I haven't used any of them so I'm useless in that area.

You might be remembering it wrong.  Gluten and casein are processed by the same enzyme in the body.  Casein (the milk protein) and soy protein resemble one another.  As a result, 80-85% of people that react to casein will also react to soy (although that reaction may not present the same way).

Many kids in the autism spectrum are suspected of lacking that enzyme--making GF/CF a common combination.  Some are able to supplement with enzymes instead of eliminating the foods if the gut has been healed already.

And yeah, eggs are not a dairy product.  Why are all these old threads coming back to life lately?  shrug.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

User Tag List