Cake ideas for 1st B-day party - DF, GL, EF! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have dairy, egg and wheat allergies (also oats). My LO will be turning one in 2 weeks. My 4 YO is expecting (hoping?) for cake but I just don't see that happening - at least not so the baby can eat it. We've been introducing solids VERY slowly to my soon-to-be one year old due to all the allergies in our family. I'm completely stuck for what to have for "cake" for her party. I was thinking something like an apple crisp, but need something with very basic ingredients. I am *not* a good cook, so this is driving me crazy!

So far the baby has had many veggies, a handful of fruits (apples, peaches, grapes, banana etc.) and very few grains. We've tried millet, quinua, brown rice and buckwheat with success. I've got a bit of time to introduce something new, if we need to for the perfect dessert.

I'm really trying to not have to make two separate desserts. It will only be our immediate family, so it doesn't have to be fancy, but I also don't want to serve cake and have it be off limits to the birthday girl. That just doesn't seem fair. So what do other allergy families do?!?

We've only been dealing with our allergies for a few months, and my parents give me a real hard time about "depriving" our girls because of them. I shudder to think of what will be said if there is no cake at her first birthday, but if I've got a suitable "allergy-free" replacement, it may just go unnoticed.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#2 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still working on my "twinkie" cake recipe. It tastes pretty good though. I put chocolate icing on the kids ones (palm shortening, Trader Joes corn-free powdered sugar, cocoa, water).

Here it is so far. I've only made two passes on it

1 1/2 c. coconut milk (may be able to use rice milk)
1 c. buckwheat flour
3/4 c. sorghum flour (you could probably use quinoa flour instead)
1/2 c. tapioca starch
2 tsp. corn-free baking powder (equal parts tapioca starch, baking soda, cream of tarter)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 c. palm sugar (or cane sugar)
1/2 c. canola oil (or other safe oil)
3 tsp. corn-free vanilla extract
2 Tbs. tapioca starch + 6 Tbs. water (microwaved for 30 seconds; will turn to gel)

Mix well. Pour into 15 cupcake papers in cupcake pan. Bake at 350F for 16-19 minutes.

I just made it for DS's birthday on Monday. For his party on Thursday, I may change it again, though I'm not sure. I use coconut milk because it's a good fat and both my kids can have it (DS can't have rice). DS can't have cane sugar either, so I used palm sugar. I'd like to get it down to less ingredients.

The other thing you could do is a fruit bouquet. Look at www.ediblearrangements.com for ideas. That would be fun (though there's no good place to put a candle). Or a watermelon fruit basket.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM

An apple crisp or cobbler sounds great. Is there a reason they both couldn't eat it? For my lo's 1st birthday, I made unfrosted cupcakes with the Namaste spice cake mix. Rice flour, tapioca, arrowroot and spices, I think.
#4 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
An apple crisp or cobbler sounds great. Is there a reason they both couldn't eat it? For my lo's 1st birthday, I made unfrosted cupcakes with the Namaste spice cake mix. Rice flour, tapioca, arrowroot and spices, I think.
I'd have to tweak an apple crisp recipe, which I'm just not very good at. It's the topping I'd be stuck on, because we can't do oats, and I'm just not sure what would actually work well as a replacement.

The twinkie cake looks promising and I have most of the ingredients already. I'd have to try the LO on coconut milk in advance, to test for reaction. Is coconut milk safe for a one year old? It's not something I've ever considered.

Would you get enough fresh milk from 1-2 coconuts, or would canned be fine? I'm obviously not up on my coconut knowledge! lol!

#5 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM

For a gluten/grain free topping some chopped nuts, oil(like a coconut or something not olive) and some brown sugar is super yummy!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchwormz View Post
I'd have to tweak an apple crisp recipe, which I'm just not very good at. It's the topping I'd be stuck on, because we can't do oats, and I'm just not sure what would actually work well as a replacement.

The twinkie cake looks promising and I have most of the ingredients already. I'd have to try the LO on coconut milk in advance, to test for reaction. Is coconut milk safe for a one year old? It's not something I've ever considered.

Would you get enough fresh milk from 1-2 coconuts, or would canned be fine? I'm obviously not up on my coconut knowledge! lol!
You could use creamy buckwheat cereal as a base (the grains, not made into the cereal) for a crisp.

I get canned coconut milk without guar gum (I get mine at an Asian market). Some people have a problem with coconut milk.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 AM

We just tried this cake for DD3's upcoming 1st b-day and it turned out great. You can always change out some of the GF flour, mik, and oil to those you already have. I was really worried about having a nice tasting cake for us too and am so glad we liked this.

Anyway here you go:
I started with this recipe from Allergy-Free Cooking blog.

http://angkantz.blogspot.com/2008/09...-birthday.html

and changed it a bit so our recipe was

1 c. buckwheat flour
1 c. sorghum flour
1/2c. potato startch
1/2c. tapioca flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. guar gum

(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use on 9 x 13 pan rubbed with a bit of coconut oil and sprinkled with sorghum flour. Mix the above together in a large mixing bowl.

1/2 c. coconut oil
1 14oz can coconut milk
2/3 c. agave syrup
2/3 c. maple syrup
3 t. vanilla (we have homemade to make sure corn free)

(2) Mix the liquid ingredients together with a hand blender.
(3) Add the liquid ingredients to dry, blend until smooth.
(4) Bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean and you see the sides of the cake pulling away from the pan a little. Cool completely.

Then we ground up maple sugar (using a coffee grinder to make it powdered) and used spectrum shorting with some water and vanilla to make the frosting (sorry Mom made the frosting and she's a pro so she didn't measure).

The cake turned out very moist - and smelled so yummy with the maple syrup baking. Anyway we were very excited. My older girls had two pieces, licked the crumbs up and were asking for more. Ha!

I think it may be really good as a base for carrot or pumpkin too.

Good luck on finding something that you like and works for your family.
#8 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM

my 4 year old is now convinced that frozen fruit (blueberries, specifically) in a bowl with yogurt on top is a "cake". the yogurt reminds him of icing. there is ready-made coconut milk out there - turtlemountain.com - though i don't know pricing details. their coconut milk ice cream is heavenly (though my homemade version is better).

if you can do quinoa, you could use cooked quinoa (in place of oats) as a topping on a fruit cobbler of sorts.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#9 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Since extended family are critical I'd do the crisp instead of trying to do an allergy free cake. You can do it (I've done it with those allergies) but it's not going to taste "right" to someone who always eats gluten and egg based products. It'll have a different mouth feel even with taste aside. So I think you're less likely to get comments if you just do a crisp.
But if the 4 year old wants cake and you're going to do a cake for the baby and everyone I'd trial in sorghum. It'll make a better taste for those used to gluten/wheat. Trying to replace it with one of her safe grains will completely change the taste and feel.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM

I think what I might do is get a recipe from Karina's blog and make that for him and frost it up all beautiful, making it small size and then a regular cake on the side for everyone else. I think around here it would not be so crazy for the kid/babe to have their own cake. it is more common for some reason for 1st b-days but it is an option. The big frosting can help make it look normal on the outside for them if that is a worry. Tons of sugar and they won't worry he is being deprived :0

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#11 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM

We actually invited the neighbors over who are not restricted and they liked our cake. Also my mom took a couple pieces home for my dad and her sister, who are also not restricted, and they all liked it. That made me really happy, because sometimes I'm not sure if I like something just because we are so restricted right now - I wonder sometimes if cardboard had frosting on it I might think it tastes great (ok I'm exaggerating a bit but still we are very restricted right now)

Now for our big birthday party I am planning to make the cake for us and get some regular cupcakes for most other people because our guest list is around 50 people and the GF, EF, DF cake is a bit expensive to serve to that many people. Plus I am kind of hoping for left-overs for me Hee Hee!
#12 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM

I came up with this one for our multiple-allergy family, and non-allergic people with discriminating palates (like my stepdad) still think it's delicious:

Banana Blondies

3 eggs, beaten (Substitute 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 1Tbsp water for each egg)
cup canola oil
cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2)
cup water
1 pkg. Namaste Blondie mix
8 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. cinnamon
Enjoy Life Cinnamon Crunch Granola (optional, for topping)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Pour batter into a lightly oiled 9x13 pan. If desired, top with granola. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool, and cut into bars. Store covered.

Variations:
For muffins, pour batter into baking-cup-lined muffin pans. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until tests done.

For an extra nutritional boost, add 1 cup dried fruit such as finely chopped dried apples or pears, raisins, Enjoy Life allergen-free chocolate chips, etc. or an additional 4 Tbsp. ground flaxseed. When adding dried fruit or additional flaxseed, increase water to ½ cup.

Bon appetit!
#13 of 16 Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas! I will be spending this weekend trying to come up with something edible.

#14 of 16 Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=Hedwig_Fly;13873655]
1 c. buckwheat flour
1 c. sorghum flour
1/2c. potato startch
1/2c. tapioca flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. guar gum

(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use on 9 x 13 pan rubbed with a bit of coconut oil and sprinkled with sorghum flour. Mix the above together in a large mixing bowl.

1/2 c. coconut oil
1 14oz can coconut milk
2/3 c. agave syrup
2/3 c. maple syrup
3 t. vanilla (we have homemade to make sure corn free)

(2) Mix the liquid ingredients together with a hand blender.
(3) Add the liquid ingredients to dry, blend until smooth.
(4) Bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean and you see the sides of the cake pulling away from the pan a little. Cool completely.

[QUOTE]

Made this for dd's 3rd b-day today and it was great! Our landlord (lives above us in a duplex) said it should be called "flapjack cake" because it tastes like a pancake with frosting. Thanks for posting it.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#15 of 16 Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 AM

This cake is yummy yummy yummy. My family and everyone who has tried it has loved it. The EF version worked out just fine. Good luck!

http://healthy-family.org/forum/inde...opic,98.0.html

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#16 of 16 Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We did a GF, EF and DF cake for dd for 1st bday. Whole foods has a GF section and I just got one of the cake mixes there and subbed banana for eggs (1 banana with a bit of water =2 eggs) and rice milk for milk. It turned out REALLY good. everyone commented on how good it was. The mix only makes a 9x9 cake though, so if you have tons of people, make two.

We also got a GF frosting and used earth balance to make it.

Have fun!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page