Need info. ASAP--would steam-cleaning couch get rid of cat dander? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found two gorgeous couches on Craigslist for the right price, just exactly what I've always wanted for my living room. But the people have cats that have been on the couches, and I'm allergic to cats. It's a tightly-woven Damask fabric, treated with something like Scotchguard, that she said doesn't hold cat hair or dirt at all.

We do have a steam-cleaner for carpets (Oreck). Do you think that cleaning it well would remove enough of the cat dander for myself and my guests who are allergic to cats to be able to tolerate the furniture? Or would I be better off to keep looking?

Angela
#2 of 3 Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM

I would keep looking. Doubt you could remove all of the cat dander/saliva/proteins from furniture.

But, have you considered Bio-Allers for cat dander? Or classical homeopathy. Dh was severely allergic to cats. We currently have 12 cats (fostering a mama and 4 kittens) and several cats sleep in our bedroom, on the bed every night. No more allergies, nor asthma since classical homeopathy.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 3 Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Nope. Cat protein (fel d 1) takes a year or two to denature and steam cleaning upholstery won't do much, unless you have a true vapor steam cleaning . . . and even then, results vary.

However . . . it might do enough when combined with a heavy slipcover. And after a couple years, it might be just fine.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page