Do you know the colors of your rainbow? Poop edition. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So.

It has come to my attention that even if you pass the beet pee test (i.e. no pink pee) if your poop is red, you've failed. In this same conversation, it was related that not everyone poops green after eating spinach, nor poops orange after eating carrots.

Question: how technicolor is your/your children's poop? Does this correlate to stomach and/or gut problems? (Specifically, stomach acid, I'm thinking...).

How about when eating beans or nuts? Do they come out mostly whole, or undigested bits? Or is this evidence of ineffective digestion?

When eating grains, is there ANY evidence of what you've eaten in your poop after the fact (not just whole grains, but even broken up bits)?

EVERYONE poops out corn kernels, though, right?

I know I have extremely low stomach acid. Everything that should taste sour tastes sweet to me. Kids too. When pregnant with Lily, I had such TERRIBLE reflex/heartburn that I ate bottles and bottles and bottles of tums and MoM. I know that didn't help my situation.

Currently, I take B2, B5, B6 & B12, Vit C, zinc, biotin, Mo and Folate. I drink water kefir. I take CLO. I was taking Betaine, but ran out and didn't replace it.

I usually pass the beet test via pee, with it only being sort of faintly peachy. I always have bright red poo after. BRIGHT.

Come to think of it. DD2 finally ate some beets the other day. Her pee was not red in the slightest and her poop was dark, but not RED. DD1 has peachy pee but RED poop (not as red as mine, though). However, both of them poop green w/greens and orange with carrots. As do I. I thought everyone's poop sort of ebbed and flowed, color-wise, with what they'd been consuming.

Please, enlighten me!

*Deep sigh* I have so, so, so far to go on this journey. I was hoping to TTC around Christmas. Perhaps not.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

We were kinda technicolor a year or two ago, but both dd and I are pretty uniform now. Not even obvious beet poop - it was blatant last year. The only undigested chunks dd gets now are from raw carrots and pumpkin seeds. I think that's largely a chewing issue combined with a hard food? No grain issues whatsoever. Definitely did have those at our low point though.

Sour stuff was really yummy for me last year (low point, digestion-wise, including beet pee) and now it makes me pucker up. Dd still loves raw rhubarb, despite the massive poop improvement.

Just saw the title of the thread

And I can't answer about corn right now, but I don't remember ever seeing them, even when I was eating it.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
So.

It has come to my attention that even if you pass the beet pee test (i.e. no pink pee) if your poop is red, you've failed. In this same conversation, it was related that not everyone poops green after eating spinach, nor poops orange after eating carrots.

I used to have red pee from beets and also bms, but not now (after a couple years of gut healing). I eat them regularly and have no color change.

Question: how technicolor is your/your children's poop? Does this correlate to stomach and/or gut problems? (Specifically, stomach acid, I'm thinking...). Yes, dd used to have a lot of color changes with food. After eating chili, for example, it was like she hadn't digested it at all. Same smell, same color, similar appearance. Now, I don't notice as much of an issue. Though every once in a while, she'll have a paler poo, which I know is related to lack of bile?? I'm not sure what it means.

How about when eating beans or nuts? Do they come out mostly whole, or undigested bits? Or is this evidence of ineffective digestion?

Beans, in the past have come out whole, but her gut is much better now, so she doesn't usually have any bean pieces. Ds (1 yr) does have pieces, and he also reacts to beans, so we aren't giving them anymore. He also has pieces of grape and cherry skins. He's little still, so I don't know if this is a gut issue or any every-baby issue. I try to limit those fruits though because I worry that could *cause* gut damage.

When eating grains, is there ANY evidence of what you've eaten in your poop after the fact (not just whole grains, but even broken up bits)?

No evidence.

EVERYONE poops out corn kernels, though, right? I don't, but then, I haven't eaten them in ages.

I know I have extremely low stomach acid. Everything that should taste sour tastes sweet to me. Kids too. When pregnant with Lily, I had such TERRIBLE reflex/heartburn that I ate bottles and bottles and bottles of tums and MoM. I know that didn't help my situation.

Currently, I take B2, B5, B6 & B12, Vit C, zinc, biotin, Mo and Folate. I drink water kefir. I take CLO. I was taking Betaine, but ran out and didn't replace it.

I usually pass the beet test via pee, with it only being sort of faintly peachy. I always have bright red poo after. BRIGHT.

Come to think of it. DD2 finally ate some beets the other day. Her pee was not red in the slightest and her poop was dark, but not RED. DD1 has peachy pee but RED poop (not as red as mine, though). However, both of them poop green w/greens and orange with carrots. As do I. I thought everyone's poop sort of ebbed and flowed, color-wise, with what they'd been consuming.

I do have darker, somewhat looser stools when I've been eating a lot of vegetables, both cooked and raw. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I look forward to hearing mre replies!

Please, enlighten me!

*Deep sigh* I have so, so, so far to go on this journey. I was hoping to TTC around Christmas. Perhaps not.

#4 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow. Thanks so much both of you! I look forward to more replies, too.

My next question is: what can I do to improve my digestion, beyond what I'm already doing? I fear I am looking down the barrel of SCD or GAPS. But we can't do eggs or nuts or seeds. And I did paleo already (for over a month) and Lily got worse b/c we OD'd on amines (way too much almonds (only safe nut, at least I think it's safe), dried fruits, EVOO and coconut).

ETA: Shannon, I continue to be inspired by/with you. Do you have a summary of where you've been, where you are now and what you did to get there. I have been closely following all the detox stuff since it came into the boards in January, but I don't know that I've pieced together a coherent narrative for you.

#5 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I'm the one with gut problems, my BMs are fairly uniformly brown - sometimes light or sometimes dark. I can't recall seeing a color in there.

DS, the one who reacts to what we eat, has multi-colored BMs. Chili - which he loves - comes out looking like chili. I can see beans (black and kidney) and quinoa, which is the grain I add. It even smells a bit like chili . Corn is always visible, and I even left it out of the last chili recipe, but he gets it in curry, which DH makes with mixed frozen veggies (even in the middle of veggie season, but, hey, he cooks and DS likes it). Curry comes out yellow and smelling of curry.

My urine does sometimes smell like what I've had - coffee, in particular, or garlic.

: to me for introducing smell to this thread. I've always wondered about the smell of DS BM, and my urine as being problematic.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Oh wow. Thanks so much both of you! I look forward to more replies, too.

My next question is: what can I do to improve my digestion, beyond what I'm already doing? I fear I am looking down the barrel of SCD or GAPS. But we can't do eggs or nuts or seeds. And I did paleo already (for over a month) and Lily got worse b/c we OD'd on amines (way too much almonds (only safe nut, at least I think it's safe), dried fruits, EVOO and coconut).

ETA: Shannon, I continue to be inspired by/with you. Do you have a summary of where you've been, where you are now and what you did to get there. I have been closely following all the detox stuff since it came into the boards in January, but I don't know that I've pieced together a coherent narrative for you.
Digestive enzymes were good for me, for a while when things were really bad. Otherwise, I think I've been lucky in that my gut was more or less healthy before all this (the only time I failed the beet test was post dd, though there was a slow buildup of issues starting about in college) and somehow I don't think we have significant gut bacteria issues. We have all the risk factors, but none of the issues . So I've been mostly just healing the mess that I created with elimination diets and that's a LOT easier than cleaning up a lifelong mess, it seems. A bunch of my story pre-january is in the yahoo group foodlab. There might be bits and pieces here on mdc, but I tend to shy away from posting life history in a public/google-able forum. Now that I feel more helpful than whiny, I'm happy to share what worked

#7 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps I need to either explore digestive enzymes again (I did them for awhile. My brain is a sieve and I am not retaining if they helped or why I stopped them). Or, just get really good about always having (homemade LF) sauerkraut or pickles or whatever around.

I think I'm going to actually finally make an appt with a local ND. I just need to bounce my entire history and symptoms list off of one person in one sitting and see where that gets us. I think I can extrapolate whatever I learn for myself for DD1, since she appears to be a mini-me in regards to her food issues. (Though she is a mini-DH in the looks department.)

I know that FAILSAFE messed us up majorly, nutrient-wise. Ironically, it was FAILSAFE that finally cleared her eczema, but we went off of all supplements and dropped all the nutrient-dense fruits & veggies we'd been eating before. We did more or less strict failsafe for nearly 3m (with a sals and amine challenge in there). We had a really hard time recovering from the amine challenge, so we sort of bagged failsafe and got into detox. [Prior to FAILSAFE, I'd done EDs, TEDs, BED, with probiotics throughout.]

I think maybe it's time for me to see if the ND can order me some tests that my NP couldn't. Perhaps pertaining to various vit/mineral levels. Perhaps stool testing to see if I've got some parasite issues, or something.

Wheels are turning...

(Still strongly considering SCD. I can live off of homemade broth and water kefir, right? :roll)

#8 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I need to either explore digestive enzymes again (I did them for awhile. My brain is a sieve and I am not retaining if they helped or why I stopped them). Or, just get really good about always having (homemade LF) sauerkraut or pickles or whatever around.

I think I'm going to actually finally make an appt with a local ND. I just need to bounce my entire history and symptoms list off of one person in one sitting and see where that gets us. I think I can extrapolate whatever I learn for myself for DD1, since she appears to be a mini-me in regards to her food issues. (Though she is a mini-DH in the looks department.)

I know that FAILSAFE messed us up majorly, nutrient-wise. Ironically, it was FAILSAFE that finally cleared her eczema, but we went off of all supplements and dropped all the nutrient-dense fruits & veggies we'd been eating before. We did more or less strict failsafe for nearly 3m (with a sals and amine challenge in there). We had a really hard time recovering from the amine challenge, so we sort of bagged failsafe and got into detox. [Prior to FAILSAFE, I'd done EDs, TEDs, BED, with probiotics throughout.]

I think maybe it's time for me to see if the ND can order me some tests that my NP couldn't. Perhaps pertaining to various vit/mineral levels. Perhaps stool testing to see if I've got some parasite issues, or something.

Wheels are turning...

(Still strongly considering SCD. I can live off of homemade broth and water kefir, right? :roll)
My worry with SCD/GAPS is nutrient deficiencies. The SCD messed me up - I think I was too restricted on top of the SCD restrictions. In GAPS, she talks about the importance of *not* avoiding foods unless it's an IgE reaction. She says to go ahead and eat the intolerance foods. I think there's a lot of wisdom in that, but it's so hard to serve something, *knowing* it will cause a reaction.

But yeah, with such persistent poop issues, it sounds like gut bacteria are a significant part of the problem for you. That's where SCD/GAPS starts to make sense in my mind.

#9 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I do worry about nutrient deficiencies, again. But, I wonder, if I go into it with the mindset that it's a protocol that I'm going to follow. I'm going to do the intro and then the next and the next and the next stage, just as presented and not fret about every little thing...

Perhaps I need to get IgE tested. The only testing I've had is the Meridian Valley labs (theoretically IgE and IgG). I came back positive to sesame seeds and that's it. But we'd been everything-free for so long, I don't know that it was valid. I have a very severe and relatively quick (within a few hours) rxn to cashews and that was reported as an non-reactive food. I had something in a meal a friend made me on Sunday. She claimed it was soy, dairy, gluten, etc free but within a few hours my stomach hurt and I was crazy gassy for a few days. If it had been gluten I would have had diarrhea, so I'm assuming it was soy or dairy. Anyway, that's my long winded way of saying even though I possibly don't have any IgE allergies, there is no way I'd just go ahead and eat some of those foods. PB and (non fermented) lentils give me instant and painful reflux. The benefit does not outweigh the risks, I guess is the bottom line for many of these foods. Still pondering...

#10 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 PM

No help here, just

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#11 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM

We've done a lot less than others when it comes to gut-healing. I only just started making kefir and bone broth a few months ago. However, for about 2.5 years, we've been doing probiotic capsules, Vit C, CLO, glutamine capsules and multi vit. We did enzymes intermittently, but I finally stopped because they just made me feel horrible. It was like taking a stool softener/laxative everyday. Not good. For over a year and a half, maybe more, I've added things like milk thistle, b vitamins (but with folic acid), zinc, calcium-magnesium. I've not done anything to prove tolerance or not, which I guess is bad, since I'm just popping pills. However, it's more likely that I'm not getting enough nutrients as opposed to too few (the only ones I really monitor are vit D and vit A). I feel like complete elimination of allergens has been very important for us (we deal with IgE and IgG). Even though we avoid a lot of foods, I don't feel like our diet suffers for it. If anything it's better (less processed junk), though I do wish we could enjoy nuts and seeds (and who knows, we might be able to, I'm just too scared to try them).
#12 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Sadly, this thread fascinates me, LOL!

I have uniform poops that don't change color when I eat tons of green/red/orange things. And I don't think I have any undigested food, although I haven't looked that closely either. DS, on the other hand, has lots of undigested food bits and varying colors in the rare occasions he eats colorful food.

My current hypothesis is that my gut is actually pretty healthy, and that DS did fine in the first 18 months because he was almost EBF. It's when he started eating food himself (and preferred foods that really challenge his system), that he rapidly depleted his nutrient stores and began reacting to casein, gluten, sals... So we need to build back up his nutrient stores and figure out how to support his system so they don't get depleted again.

The most interesting thing though, is that those of you with low stomach acid find sour foods taste sweet. Is THAT why DS is horking raw goat's milk kefir? (Which I think is pretty darn sour tasting)...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#13 of 59 Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM

I'm not convinced of the sour=low HCl connection. Dd passes the beet pee test, but her poop is a little red, sometimes. I don't think we do that great with beets specifically though, so I'm not sure it's a fair test. Other than that (and the raw carrot and pumpkin seeds) her poop is pretty uniform and so long as she's getting magnesium, not too constipated. All in all, pretty good. As I said before, she LOVES sour stuff. It's definitely a measure of *something* but I don't know what.

We lead field trips at a farm for preK-1st graders, and sample raw rhubarb in the garden. Half the kids tend to love the sour-ness, and the other half can't handle it. I'd chalk it up to personal preference if the difference in taste over time weren't so dramatic for myself...

#14 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Half the kids tend to love the sour-ness, and the other half can't handle it. I'd chalk it up to personal preference if the difference in taste over time weren't so dramatic for myself...
Yes, this. I was surprised at how sweet lemon water is to me now. I have no pucker response to it whatsoever.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#15 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 AM

Wow -i didn't realize my question about red poo would spark a whole conversation! This is soooooooooooooo interesting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mama to
DS 6/08 and DS
9/11
#16 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 AM

I thought the pooping red after beets was normal. When did it come to light that it wasn't? I must have missed that conversation. All of us pee clear after beets. At least DD2 and I have darker poop with a red tinge (not bright red though) after beets. I'll have to ask the rest of the family to look. That'll go over well.

When we were eating corn kernels, they came out whole.
I remember from DD2's diapers that black olives came out relatively undigested, and raisins (which were quite disgusting, because they plumped up in there - YUCK!!). With potty training, I don't get to look at poop as much as I used to (thankfully). Oh and red plastic frogs don't digest either.... Though DD2 does call me in when it's a strange color - sometimes very pale, sometimes orange-ish.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#17 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well, perhaps it's within the range of normal/healthy if your poop turns a bit reddish. ours, however, is bright red and the entire toilet water turns red as soon as the poop hits it. it's crazy (and if it weren't poop, i'd probably take a picture). Okay, ew, I just grossed myself out.

#18 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I thought the pooping red after beets was normal. When did it come to light that it wasn't? I must have missed that conversation. All of us pee clear after beets. At least DD2 and I have darker poop with a red tinge (not bright red though) after beets. I'll have to ask the rest of the family to look. That'll go over well.
I think I'm the one that started the red poop rumor . I can't find where I originally read it, but here is another link.

Quote:
Well, perhaps it's within the range of normal/healthy if your poop turns a bit reddish. ours, however, is bright red and the entire toilet water turns red as soon as the poop hits it. it's crazy (and if it weren't poop, i'd probably take a picture). Okay, ew, I just grossed myself out.
ROFLMAO...

#19 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 03:12 PM

if you look up beeturia, it's beet pigment in pee and/or poop. In theory, if your HCl is decolorizing the pigment in your stomach, it shouldn't be making it too the poop. Maybe some slight color is normal if there were chunks of beet in the stomach and the outside decolorized but the inside didn't? And then as it gets further digested, the red inside of the chunk is exposed but now you're in the small intestine so you don't have the HCl anymore?

#20 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From the link, "Oxalic acid preserves the red colour to the colon, otherwise it is decolourized in non-beeturic individuals by non-enzymic processes in the stomach and colon." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7493168

Basically, concurrently consuming foods high in oxalates will keep poop red, regardless of HCl.

oxalic acid
a poisonous, dibasic acid found in various fruits and vegetables, and formed in the metabolism of ascorbic acid. In plants the acid is present in the form of oxalate.
The commercial acid is highly toxic and if ingested should be neutralized by the administration of lime water (calcium hydroxide solution) or other convenient source of calcium, which reacts with the acid to form insoluble calcium oxalate.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...in+oxalic+acid

Foods high in oxalic acid: Oxalic acid/100g food
Parsley (1.7 g)
Chives (1.48 g)
Purslane (1.31 g)
Cassava (1.26 g)
Amaranth (1.09 g)
Spinach (0.97 g)
Beet leaves (0.61 g)
Carrot (0.5 g)
Radish (0.48 g)
Collards (0.45 g)
Beans, snap (0.36 g)
Brussels sprouts (0.36 g)
Garlic (0.36 g)
Lettuce (0.33 g)
Watercress (0.31 g)
Sweet potato (0.24 g)
Chicory (0.21 g)
Turnip (0.21 g)
Broccoli (0.19 g)
Celery (0.19 g)
Eggplant (0.19 g)
Cauliflower (0.15 g)
Asparagus (0.13 g)
Endive (0.11 g)
Cabbage (0.1 g)
Okra (0.05 g)
Onion (0.05 g)
Pea (0.05 g)
Tomato (0.05 g)
Turnip greens (0.05 g)
Parsnip (0.04 g)
Pepper (0.04 g)
Rutabaga (0.03 g)
Cucumbers (0.02 g)
Kale (0.02 g)
Squash (0.02 g)
Coriander (0.01 g)

http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquariu...xalicAcid.html

Oxalic acid found in spinach, chard and beet greens binds up the calcium present in these foods, making it unavailable for the body to use. It doesn't, however, affect the absorption of calcium in foods served at the same meal.
http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquariu...xalicAcid.html

I believe that red beet poop is ok. Just eat something with calcium along with it. Perhaps toss a lime into the juice.

Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I believe that red beet poop is ok. Just eat something with calcium along with it. Perhaps toss a lime into the juice.
Pat
From what you've said, it would makes sense then that red beet poop with a meal is OK, but with just the beet test, it would be a fail ??

I wonder if red pee is more serious because it indicates low stomach acid + leaky gut, where if the red stays in your gut and comes out in your poop, you maybe have low stomach acid but not so much leaking??

#22 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

So undigested food in poop = insufficient digestive enzymes = compromised pancreas, right?

I had a bout of insomnia last night (well, that and we had visitors over and I let the kids have popcorn, so they both had an amazingly terrible night) and I found this article.

So, digestive enzymes, huh? Now I have to figure out if we can overcome lack of of enzymes with whole food enzyme supps (various fermented veggies; raw honey; kefir) or if we should try pills. FTR, we were doing enzymes last fall with no apparent ill effect.

I do grocery shopping at the co-op on Mondays. I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of enzymes then. Do you ladies have a brand recommendation?

#23 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 08:54 AM

OMG, Best. MDC. Thread. Evah.

10 points to all that have participated! : I'm only posting here so I can continue to be updated. : I don't make it here much anymore, but I see now what I'm missing.

In terms of store bough Enzymes, I really like Enzymedica. Carry on!
#24 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

: This is my favorite thread in quite awhile. :

I just hopped onto vitacost. DH needed more theanine and i had a coupon, so i was browsing around. I just ordered a ton (more) of Vit C, B1, no-flush niacin, betaine with pepsin, pancreatin + other enzymes, 2 more bottles of Mo, and MSM. phew, i think that just about covers it. oh, and i was going to get glutamine, but there was some verbotten ingredient in it and i didn't look around more. i just dropped $88 including expedited shipping cuz DH needs his theanine by tues.

i was sad yesterday thinking i was super messed up. now i see i just have some work to do. ahh the joys of being awake from 12-4a and just thinking, alone, in a (mostly) peacefully quiet house.

#25 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
i was sad yesterday thinking i was super messed up. now i see i just have some work to do.
A very important realization! It's one of the reasons I try to encourage people to see why these are good things...it's simply your body's way of communicating. And, in the end just about everyone who listens is far healthier and happier for it. The biggest thing to remember for me is that it's essential to hold the space for healing.
#26 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM

I posted last week that I mostly passed the beet pee test, but I didn't post that I definitely failed any beet-poop test. I ate beets yesterday and failed both beet pee and beet poop, but....... thinking back, when I passed the beet pee last time, I drank water kefir at the same meal in addition to taking enzymes. This time, I only took enzymes. I guess I need both, huh? Anyhow, enzymes have drastically reduced the undigested food that I see but they don't seem to help me digest everything. I take like 3-5 Digest Gold per meal and some stuff like sunflower seeds (coarsely ground), quinoa, and millet still don't get digested. Aside from the beet issue, I've had less rainbow poop since I starting taking the enzymes, so I guess that most other foods are being digested.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#27 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
i was sad yesterday thinking i was super messed up. now i see i just have some work to do. ahh the joys of being awake from 12-4a and just thinking, alone, in a (mostly) peacefully quiet house.
Those long hours in the middle of the night are when I make my best connections. That's how I really understood and put together the biochem stuff, and I'm forgetting what else, but a LOT of my comprehension happens in those wee hours. It's an annoying price to pay, but I tend to always feel excited by morning.

#28 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So undigested food in poop = insufficient digestive enzymes = compromised pancreas, right?

I had a bout of insomnia last night (well, that and we had visitors over and I let the kids have popcorn, so they both had an amazingly terrible night) and I found this article.

So, digestive enzymes, huh? Now I have to figure out if we can overcome lack of of enzymes with whole food enzyme supps (various fermented veggies; raw honey; kefir) or if we should try pills. FTR, we were doing enzymes last fall with no apparent ill effect.

I do grocery shopping at the co-op on Mondays. I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of enzymes then. Do you ladies have a brand recommendation?
Oh yeah, someone I met IRL who is trying to figure out her 5yo was hypothesizing that the reason for his gut issues/undigested food (they're seeing a huge change on GAPS, I think gut bacteria is big for them) is because of inadequate HCl. Acidity entering the small intestine (through the pyloric sphincter) is one of the triggers for bile to be released. Bile is what contains all the pancreatic enzymes. Another trigger is fats, iirc. So she wants to work on HCl to trigger the digestive enzymes better.

Oh, and (adding to your article) bicarbonate comes from the same enzyme as HCl, so if you're low on zinc, you'd be low on both HCl and bicarbonate, I'd think. Your pH wouldn't get totally messed up, just making acid with no base or vise versa - though the bacteria in your gut might get out of hand, making more acid?

#29 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Or low stomach acid, that is what tells the pancreatic enzymes to get a move on, I think. (ETA - never mind, Shannon is faster than I am, LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
OMG, Best. MDC. Thread. Evah.

10 points to all that have participated! : I'm only posting here so I can continue to be updated. : I don't make it here much anymore, but I see now what I'm missing.

In terms of store bough Enzymes, I really like Enzymedica. Carry on!
I think it should be illegal to post in this thread without sharing your poop details .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephienoodle View Post
I posted last week that I mostly passed the beet pee test, but I didn't post that I definitely failed any beet-poop test. I ate beets yesterday and failed both beet pee and beet poop, but....... thinking back, when I passed the beet pee last time, I drank water kefir at the same meal in addition to taking enzymes. This time, I only took enzymes. I guess I need both, huh? Anyhow, enzymes have drastically reduced the undigested food that I see but they don't seem to help me digest everything. I take like 3-5 Digest Gold per meal and some stuff like sunflower seeds (coarsely ground), quinoa, and millet still don't get digested. Aside from the beet issue, I've had less rainbow poop since I starting taking the enzymes, so I guess that most other foods are being digested.
Well, that is some good clues, I think. I'm about to try the beet test with DS with milk kefir, and see if he passes then. DH, who I am SURE has low stomach acid, passed the beet test - but then we realized he took his digestive enzymes at the same time.

What happens if you spend lots of time chewing things like the sunflower seeds, millet, etc?

#30 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
What happens if you spend lots of time chewing things like the sunflower seeds, millet, etc?
I still see bits. Sunflower seeds for instance... I send them through the blender as best as our blender can do to make sunbutter, but it never gets really smooth. So, before it even hits my mouth it is pretty "chewed", but I've tried chewing further and but it always looks like I've eaten sand a day or so later. When I eat sunflower seeds or grains, I always take a LOT of enzymes, and I've yet to not have evidence of them a day or two later. I can't remember where I read it (maybe Healing the 4As?) but I'm beginning to wonder if I've got the gene that means I don't produce enough enzymes to digest grains. I don't know if correcting deficiencies will make me ok with grains period, or maybe make me digest them as long as I take enzymes/consume fermented foods with the same meal, or if I ought to just stay away from them for good. Right now, I'm mostly staying away from them... only eating grains once a week or so.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page