Salicylate/Amine/Histamine Sensitive Tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 391 Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Resurrecting this thread on advice of another mama!!! I think we have a sals problem here, and I want to find out asap. Problem? DH won't be home, I have a day to shop, and I need a week's worth of recipes and meal ideas that fit the no sals bill plus gluten, dairy, and soy free. One child can have gluten and the other dairy, so if some recipes have one or the other it's ok. I have a lot of reading to do here, but if I could have a little help getting started here on the fly....I'd you all!
http://freedomfromfoodchemicals.blog.../reminder.html
http://naturallythriftyathome.blogspot.com/

Those are my two blogs -- I suffer from sals and histamine intolerance ... my son briefly did the gluten free diet...but now has soy/corn/peanut/tomato allergy ... so most of these are free of tons of stuff. Thought I'd share in case it might help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 391 Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Where does Kale fall in the sals scheme? I like to put it in smoothies, but haven't recently. Our smoothies are really boring, what with banana, mango, and pear. Every time. I'd like to at least beef up the nutrition and roughage...DD's pooping, but they are little round pellets that she's working at. I don't think all of these bananas, rice, and cheese is helping lol! I did buy some brown rice today to help some.
Lots of mag will help with the pooping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFMama View Post
What kind of Vit C do you use? When we do supplements, I try to use whole food as possible. That leaves us with a problem in this category as we can't tolerate oranges, tomato, strawberries, well citrus of any kind.
All high sals. We used sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid (non-whole foods C). DS now tolerates whole foods C fine, but I'd rather fill his sals bucket with real fruit, so we still use the SA or AA forms of C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I like natural C too and use camu camu berry powder, acerola powder, or NOW brand tru C. All are great sources.
If you still have sals issues at your house, those fill up a good chunk of a sals bucket .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#303 of 391 Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
All high sals. We used sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid (non-whole foods C). DS now tolerates whole foods C fine, but I'd rather fill his sals bucket with real fruit, so we still use the SA or AA forms of C.

If you still have sals issues at your house, those fill up a good chunk of a sals bucket .
We have tried SA and AA, and we don't feel that great with it, and that is why we use the natural C forms. Don't tell me they are high in sals. Errg. Good thing I don't get around to giving any to my dd but once or twice a week. I do take it more often, everyday if I can as I feel way better with it. I don't think I have sals issues but terrible amine/histamine issues. without NOW Tru-C, I feel like I am falling apart.

Any thoughts on this- too much calcium using up magnesium and making sals reaction much worse.
#304 of 391 Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM

I find that acerola or camu powder is much gentler from a sals perspective than Tru-C.

Even the ascorbic acid and sa vitamin C forms will cause reactions in a sensitive person, both from reports from others and my DS.

Yes, I agree on the calcium overload, this a major issue as most people have long eaten very high calcium and low mag.

GFMama,
High vitamin cod liver oil (blue ice) supplying at least 20,000 IU of vitaminA and probiotics for the acne. It's no surprise that high chemical vitamin A (accutane, retinol) has long been prescribed for acne. But the natural form of A is what the body really needs, since the chemical forms have huge side effects. See www.westonaprice.org for more info on CLO.
#305 of 391 Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFMama View Post
Hello all!
I am so happy to have found this site, well I think relief is more like it. I have been dealing with food issues for a year now. All 3 of my girls and my-self are celiac. We aren't just gluten-free, but all grass related grain-free (including corn, rice, etc). My middle daughter just seems to be worse, removing grain from her diet helped for a while. When we did skin testing she had a HUGE!!! histamine reaction. She also tested positive for Almonds, salmon, oranges, bananas, apples, coffee to start, but within minutes her entire arm was just a mess. It all just seemed to random for my way of thinking so I've been hunting down the connection and have found that her most sensitive foods are also high in Amines. I am having a hard time finding soaps, shampoos, etc that does not cause major acne. It also triggers near panic attacks. She is extremely bright, but can not focus.

1.How can i detox her safely? We are already eliminating these from her diet, but it just isn't working fast enough.
2. Omegas????she can not tolerate salmon.
3. Has anyone tried Hemp milk or protein powder?
4. I see a lot of discussion about using fermented foods, I thought fermentation was bad (in this case)?
5. She is a teenage girl...always hungry...imagine a hungry lioness on steriods...have any suggestions for snacks?

I apologize if this is redundant, this is such a large thread.
From what you've said, I wonder if she isn't struggling with some other food intolerance. It's not uncommon for folks with one food sensitivity to have others, especially due to the damage to the intestines that happens with celiacs. My acne is triggered by dairy, itchies and dry skin from soy, major mental health breakdowns with corn, so I would definitely consider other food intolerances aside from the gluten (and make sure she isn't getting cross contamination). I do not test as "allergic" to any of these foods, by the way, but I have clear and consistent reactions when I eat them.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#306 of 391 Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoppins View Post
From what you've said, I wonder if she isn't struggling with some other food intolerance. It's not uncommon for folks with one food sensitivity to have others, especially due to the damage to the intestines that happens with celiacs. My acne is triggered by dairy, itchies and dry skin from soy, major mental health breakdowns with corn, so I would definitely consider other food intolerances aside from the gluten (and make sure she isn't getting cross contamination). I do not test as "allergic" to any of these foods, by the way, but I have clear and consistent reactions when I eat them.
I think she has a huge intolerance list, but i am getting concerned that she isn't going to get enough calories.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
#307 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Low sals is going excellent for us, but I need some more to eat! I'm thinking greens. I love to put them in smoothies. I can see that spinach is moderate on the sals list, but what about kale? It's my favorite for smoothies. I don't feel like there is enough roughage going around here...what does everyone do? We are mainly eating pears, bananas, mangoes, meats, cheese, and gluten-free baked goods. I don't feel very well-rounded. I've made green beans. We can't do brussels sprouts. Any other ideas to mix it up a little and get some variety and nutrition in there?

What are the less likely to react items that may be higher in sals? I know I've read that certain items don't seem cause as much reaction, but I don't know which ones.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#308 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 07:09 PM

We were able to get in higher sals veggies first - squash, sweet potato. Then coconut milk. Fruit took a lot longer. Beans are good for fiber, we eat a lot of those. I made things like zucchini muffins early on, to spread a little sals further. DS is fine with sulfur, so we added onions & garlic early. We also used fresh herbs - herbs are high in sals, but they measure them dried - fresh ones add a lot of flavor for a fairly small amount of sals. Fresh tomatoes were OK as well (sauces took a lot longer).

#309 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 PM

I agree with Mamafish ... I am able to eat fresh basil without reacting.
#310 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks. Herbs and spices were my other question! Do you have any idea how much I Mexican???? But I use cumin heavily (or did lol). I need to figure out how much would be an acceptable amount sals-wise. Or what other spices I can use. I have 2 basil plants, and rosemary in the yard that I will have to harvest very soon. I forgot, we are alos eating onions and garlic with no problem I see. So I douse everything with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic.

I'm curious about things like what Feingold allows...he allows pineapple in the beginning, has anyone else found that to be less reactive?

I'm going to need rice and beans recipes I suppose. I need to figure out what to season them with. I'm thinking about making a whole chicken in the crockpot over rice this weekend, with onion, carrots, and maybe some peas in it. I need some soups. I used to make delicious veggie soups, where I threw whatever I had in a pot, boiled it, and then blended it all into a puree soup...so delish. Just need to figure out what I can put in it!!! Maybe a bigger potato base or something to help keep sals levels down while still making it filling? I'm trying to fill the belly of my insatiable DS too. Chili used to be my easy meal, but there is no way my recipe is sals-friendly.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#311 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Fresh herbs in moderation were not a problem fairly early. Spices were VERY hard to add back in - 1 tsp of cinnamon in an entire loaf of zucchini bread was a problem.

Spices & dried herbs are very concentrated (so the sals are concentrated as well) - the fresh herbs seemed to give good flavor in a much smaller amount.

Pineapple was not good for us - I think it's high in histamines as well. No two lists of sals foods agree with each other - frustrating, but true.

We ate (and still eat) lots of rice & beans, bean fritters. Can you do egg? (Sorry, can't remember). We ate tons of rice & meatballs or beans to fill us up, and then whatever sals I could squeeze in. Also, I found it was better to feed DS the sals, rather than me (he reacted to sals if I ate them, but didn't get the belly filling benefits). So I would feed him squash or sweet potato, but not me (I ate low sals for longer). Sucked for me, but it was better than him being hungry.

#312 of 391 Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 PM

We can do eggs, luckily. Makes at least some things easier! I did make some form of meatballs this week, and meatloaf tonight. Bean fritters...that sounds interesting. And cheap. It would be nice to have some cheap foods.

On the bright side, DD2 now poops EVERY DAY. I never thought that would happen. And that is with minimal oral mag, and epsom salt bath every night. This is the child who has not pooped daily ever. Even as a newborn she pooped a couple times a week. And before removing sals, the only other time I got a daily poop from her was with a lot of Natural Calm...and the couple hundred mg she got gave her diarrhea, whereas now she has solid poo. She's working harder for them than I'd like, but I'd say we are on the right track! I am so, so thankful for all the help you all have given me.

#313 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 AM

Awesome about your DD. If she'll take any oral mag at all, that will help soften her poops.

I make these chickpea fritters:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chickpea-...onnaise-356902

Not the sauce, just the fritters. For extra fat, dip in mayo (spectrum makes a canola oil mayo that I think would be OK for you?)

I don't add the hot pepper sauce, I use green onion for the scallions, any fresh herbs for the parsley (and probably not that much, thyme is good), and I fry in spectrum palm shortening. Oh, and you'll need to sub a safe flour.

Very tasty fresh, and decent cold/reheated, so portable snack food.

#314 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks! Looks yummy! I did some searching around the internet and the allergy recipe thread here (which for some reason I never saw???) and copied and pasted a ton of new things to try, yay!

Random thoughts about coconut oil...is there a difference in unrefined and refined when it comes to sals? Just wondering. I've been putting coconut oil on my rxn rash, and DD has been crabby, and now I'm wondering if that's why. Which stinks of course, bc I love coconut oil and was hoping to be able to add that back in! lol

What I really want, though, is a cup of coffee....mmmmmmm.....it's cold here too, it would be so nice for a warm pick-me-up!

#315 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
What I really want, though, is a cup of coffee....mmmmmmm.....it's cold here too, it would be so nice for a warm pick-me-up!
I am on a low sals diet as well - down to 7 foods for almost 3 weeks now, and not a single morning goes by where I wake up and dream about a cup of TEA!!

It's great to here about the progress of your dd. Mine is still itchy on her tummy and thighs (maybe she's reacting to molds in the air, or lack of humidity, or the laundry detergent, or my meds which are still colored, or...? maddening!), but her rash is clearing on her face.
#316 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Amy, JaneS had success with coconut oil, but for us, it caused strong sals reactions. And it absorbs beautifully through the skin. Try some palm oil on your rash?

bigknitwhit, chamomile tea is low sals, if that will satisfy you at all...

#317 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi there. I have asthma and a lot of allergies and sensitivities to many things, too many to list. My daughters have also had some skin sensitivities. My oldest daughter is being asthma/allergy tested in December. I just thought I'd let you know I'm lurking on this thread. I don't know what the Salicylate is, other than I'm pretty sure I've heard the word before, so I'm here, and reading, and hoping to learn something.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#318 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I thought decaf was okay?
#319 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Hi there. I have asthma and a lot of allergies and sensitivities to many things, too many to list. My daughters have also had some skin sensitivities. My oldest daughter is being asthma/allergy tested in December. I just thought I'd let you know I'm lurking on this thread. I don't know what the Salicylate is, other than I'm pretty sure I've heard the word before, so I'm here, and reading, and hoping to learn something.
Welcome
If you have any questions feel free to jump in. The Plant Poisons site has moved here:
http://failsafediet.wordpress.com/
#320 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

#4 on the list from your link is a huge problem for me, triggers my asthma, or will cause contact dermatitis and hives, and seems to have the same affect on Abigail. One of the reasons I don't like crowds, you never know who or what you'll come in contact with.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#321 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Amy, JaneS had success with coconut oil, but for us, it caused strong sals reactions. And it absorbs beautifully through the skin. Try some palm oil on your rash?

bigknitwhit, chamomile tea is low sals, if that will satisfy you at all...
That's what I thought I remembered from earlier. Definitely changing oils, lol!! I thought it was because she got a piece of spelt bread from DD1's plate yesterday, but then realized it had started earlier...oops!

Speaking of oils and salicylates being absorbed through the skin...what are good soaps, etc to be using? I have CA Baby upstairs, I think that one is ok, though it is the 'calming' scent. I'd like to try to keep our sals to just foods, no need to load up in the tub! I suppose I need to examine what I am using on my own body, too. Any suggestions? Soaps, lotions? My makeup is mineral so I think that should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I thought decaf was okay?
Yes, I think it is. I need to buy some. Not the same as a good caffeine kick, but better for me anyway, right? Actually I keep hoping that now that I'm not drinking coffee I'll slip a couple pounds...no sugar, no cream in 2 cups of drink each day should add up. But then again I just mixed up some hot cocoa mix that everyone can drink so we can enjoy that soon. Yum!

#322 of 391 Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM

We use a plain glycerin soap from Whole Foods and palm oil shortening for skin cream. A lot of mineral makeup has bismuth, a serious allergen, so check on that.
#323 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Besides palm oil, what are other safe oils? I got some red palm oil ,and it tastes terrible. My dd got a rash all over her mouth. I only know of the palm shortening besides that, but I am worried about using it all time, and what is in it to make it white. Is that another good one to use?

I took dd to a naturopath yesterday that said that she has great success with healing sals issues, and she did a ton of acupressure/tapping etc, and said that things would start to get better. We will see, but I am very skeptical of anyone with promises...
But she did sleep through the night last night without waking up once!
#324 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Random thoughts about coconut oil...is there a difference in unrefined and refined when it comes to sals? Just wondering. I've been putting coconut oil on my rxn rash, and DD has been crabby, and now I'm wondering if that's why. Which stinks of course, bc I love coconut oil and was hoping to be able to add that back in! lol
My dd is sals sensitive, but is fine with coconut. My I get very sick with coconut, so the 1/2 gallon we have is just for her skin. It makes her skin so soft.
#325 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Organic white palm shortening from Spectrum and Whole Foods 365 is mechanically processed, no chemicals. I would not think red palm is salicylate free

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/palm-oil-nutrition/
#326 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks Jane!

Now what to do with that terribly expensive small bottle of red palm oil? It tastes terrible anyway.
#327 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM

I'm stuck with rejects too it's so annoying. Sometimes I just pay more at WholeFoods for new things b/c they take returns so easily.
#328 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Popping in from the allergy chat to say hi here too.

We're trying to get sals out of DS1's diet, to hopefully calm him down and help him regulate himself. It's a bit of an uphill battle but it is getting easier. He can see that he feels differently after he eats something he reacts to (like yesterday when DH fed him raisins and then sweettarts!) but then once he's had it he craves it and fixates on it. Pretty typical I guess, but frustrating to be arguing with my 5yo about food (and every other thing) all day long.

The whole thing is fascinating... I never realized how much corn we added into our diet after going gluten free this summer! Rice cakes are my new go-to snack food since tortillas and bread are pretty much out. Luckily the kids actually think they're pretty cool.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#329 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Thurs evening it became clear that baby girl was reacting to my sals reaction from coconut milk, which had built up from multiple days. I used energy medicine to help with her pain. Yesterday I avoided coconut but ate my regular diet.
Today I was very itchy, especially after eating homemade pate. (amines?)
I also made butternut squash dried cranberry cookies. I also ate an apple.

Questions.
Do amines use up the same nutrients/ pathways as sals?

How long will it take to get this out of my system?

Are peanuts a problem? (decided to stop all nuts since she had a severe reaction to cashews)

Took a hot long bath with two lbs of Epsom salts. What else can I do??

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#330 of 391 Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Ugh, M2S. Try some mo and oral mag as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page