Salicylate/Amine/Histamine Sensitive Tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post

(the texture makes me think it's more of a protein issue than a sal issue?)

I wonder if this is calcium dysregulation b/c that can cause keratosis pilaris bumpy skin and also the behavioral issues.

Quote:

So I'm back at square one, wondering if it's my food paranoid self wanting to make an association that is not there (with food at least) or whether there really is some big underlying food issue causing all this stuff.....And now I have a newborn and I can barely get food on the table as it is, let alone figure out sals and other food chemicals.

Looking forward to reading through the thread. Maybe I'll post this in a separate thread. Thanks!

I'd be fine if you keep it here.  I think you are onto something b/c what you described above sounds exactly like the frustration that I went through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Cod liver oil has been very helpful for him... and I've been taking borage oil recently which I believe I'm noticing some positive effects on my thyroid function and also salicylate tolerance (you would not believe the mounds of Indian food I've been eating and also chai tea with lots of spices, whew-hoo!.... I used to get interstitial cystitis from high salicylates).  I wonder about GLA (that's in borage oil) and what it does for cellular communication maybe?

This is interesting.  I have all of a sudden (starting shortly  before Christmas) been unable to eat a lot of spicy things or my DS2 (10 months old) will get eczema and scream all night.  I also started to get eczema which I've never had before.  I was taking 1000mg of Borage seed oil and 1200 of Black Currant Seed oil every day and then I ran out sometime around Thanksgiving.  I never got to the store to get some more.  There must be something about the GLA.  Maybe I can get DS1 to take some....

<>< Alison
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

I wonder if this is calcium dysregulation b/c that can cause keratosis pilaris bumpy skin and also the behavioral issues.

Quote:

So I'm back at square one, wondering if it's my food paranoid self wanting to make an association that is not there (with food at least) or whether there really is some big underlying food issue causing all this stuff.....And now I have a newborn and I can barely get food on the table as it is, let alone figure out sals and other food chemicals.

Looking forward to reading through the thread. Maybe I'll post this in a separate thread. Thanks!

I am not sure what calcium "dysregulation" is? But we've been on calcium, mag, and zinc for a while. I've noticed that the arm bumps correlate with eggs too, at least for us.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM

bump

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Histamine sensitive folks-- what are you supplementing?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

I have worked my way through about half of this thread and have learned so much. Thank You.

We have been avoiding allergens and trying to heal our guts over here for 1.5 years, but the feeling that there was something else going on was always there.  One week he is great, sleeps great, and the next he is a hyper, itchy flushed nightwaking wreck.  Last week my aha moment came when he ate an orange at a playdate and my friends and I watched his cheeks turn practically purple.  He then became irritable and could not.stop.moving.  This is the symptom that is the hardest to deal with.  I think this is the "hyperactivity" of sals?  He literally can't stop climbing on things, moving, jumping, dancing, etc.

Epsom Salt baths have ALWAYS made him sleep well. 

I started removing high sals foods today.  He is 2.5.  We literally used to drown everything in olive oil, I'm hoping just taking that out helps!

My question:

I already struggle to get digestive enzymes, probiotics, and CLO down him every day, so I'm wondering how to get the B vitamins, molyb, mag in him?  Any thoughts on that? The Molyb I have is a tablet, I assume they also come in capsule form?  He is at the age where he is catching onto all of this and now refuses smoothies.  I am having some success hiding some of it in pancakes before i flip them...

Also, how do I know if he is high in Omega 3's or 6's?  I'm a little overwhelmed with how to figure this out and balance the two. 

Thank You so much!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I am not sure what calcium "dysregulation" is? But we've been on calcium, mag, and zinc for a while. I've noticed that the arm bumps correlate with eggs too, at least for us.

It means that calcium is not being well absorbed by the body so it goes higher in the bloodstream and deposits itself in various places, tartar on teeth, bumps on skin, effects muscles by makign them stiff, insomnia, etc. different for different people.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post

Histamine sensitive folks-- what are you supplementing?

Vit. C would be most important I imagine since it neutralizes histamine.  Also the bioflavonoids. If you are not sensitive to the sals in acerola or camu powder I would try that first b/c I had such a good response on it.  The bioflavonoids like rutin, quercitin, etc. keep the vit. c circulating longer.  I think it makes sense that whole food c is what the human body is meant to take on a daily basis (not sure it I posted this article here or not forgive me if it's a repeat: http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/whats_wrong_with_ascorbic_acid.  But high doses of sodium ascorbate as medical treatment can be tried as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

We use a tasteless liquid Molyb made by NutriCology--suggested dosage is 1-3 drops once or twice per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post

The Molyb I have is a tablet, I assume they also come in capsule form? 

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM

Please help if you can. I have had Interstitial Cystitis for the past 2 months. It is an awful illness and I am miserable. I suspected Sals after reading here but my question is. Do you think I would have shown some indication that I was bothered by them before?Like allergic type reactions or something else? The reason I suspect them now is because Iwas eating a lot of Sals high foods right before this went down. Ialso have hormone issues which may be causing or exacerbating the IC.But I don't want to avoid yet another food especially healthy ones like almonds and blueberries if I don't need to.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM

A couple of Sals questions I cannot find an answer to:

- ELDERBERRIES?  I'm guessing they are high in sals, but hoping they are not!  I make a syrup for immunity boosting and I hate for him to lose that.

- Nutritional Yeast? I'm not even sure what it is made of, but he loves it and does not react to it... I don't think.  

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 AM

What cooking oils does everyone use.  I use extra virgin olive oil but i read somewhere its high in salicytates, does anyone have info on this, Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM

olive oil is very high in sals and my son goes insane when he has some.  we use safflower oil, butter, and palm oil.  using plant based oils brings up the imbalance of omega 3's to 6's issue, so we supp omega 3's to balance things out... still trying to figure this out though.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM

My 5 year old has been "sick" most of his life.  Same story here, he would react to certain foods one day, then another day they were okay, and then another time is would be up all night with serious knee pain.  I started to notice these sensitivities when he was about 14 months old with his baby foods.  He would react to bananas with OAS and squash would turn his chin red, etc.  Orange juice would create serious wetness in his throat.  Dairy made him so fussy I wanted to just run away.  I know other people though, probably still do, think that I am crazy, literaly obsessed with my child's eating. I was really feeling like he was allergic to EVERYTHING!  I finally took him to get an allergy test at 2 yrs old.  It was so pathetic, I will never put another child through that torture again.  The only things he tested allergic to were pet dander, thistle, and dust mites.  All allergens that trigger allergic responses, but also add to the intensity of his food allergies, or sensitivities, I should say.  Months of research and elimination showed me that Sam was intolerant of citric acid and corn, soy, and dairy.  I didn't know if corn was a true allergy, but I knew that he could not tolerate anything that had a corn derivitive in it's ingredients.  He always had purple bags under his eyes, he was clingy, over emotional, and just a really bad sleeper.  I knew something just wasn't right.  Every few nights he would be up all night with intense knee pain.  More and more foods were tried and found to be culprits of his overall health. Then 2 years ago my entire family got giardia.  We have been suffering ever since, however the intestinal stress is definitely becoming less each month.  We had to give up grain and I began researching the paleo diet.  We were eating tons of kale, since I grow alot of our food, and veggies, low acid fruits, but not too many.  Sam would be allowed to eat pear and blueberry, and occassional melon from the garden.  So with all the meat and increase in fresh produce allowed me to see that he looked his absolute best when he ate more grain and almost NO fruits and veggies. How could my child be healthier when he ate LESS fruits and veggies?  Absolutely exhausted, I googled "can't tolerate and fruits or veggies" and bam, there it was, "the most common food allergies are salicylates, amines, and glutamates."  Why was I never told this by the allergist?  By his pediatrician?  Now 3 years later I have finally completed the puzzle. We are all getting ready to go on the fail safe diet for two weeks, maybe a month to lower our levels of salicylates and amine, especially histamine, because since our bout with giardia we have ALL become sensitive to salicylates and histamines, big time.  Sam's sensitivities has saved us all from a lifetime of suffering.  And now I am so excited to have found this group of mother's with similar experiences that can offer support. This is sam's story:) 

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM

No, nutritional yeast is definitely moderate to high.  I had to stop using it.  However, every now and then I'll give him a sprinkle on something becuase I feel bad because it looks so bland.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Seriously never saw this thread before.  Will be back in a few days after reading through it all.  We are salicylate-free with amazing effects (on me and ds) but I'm still seeking answers for some other issues with ds... and maybe this thread has stuff I missed.

LOVE MDC.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM

We use canola oil and goat butter.  We can't do the only other recommended oil of sunflower because of histamine intolerance and a known aster family allergy, but I did see someone else post that they liked to use palm oil.  Goat butter has been our most recent addition.  We haven't been able to tolerate dairy, but once we removed all the aggrivating histamine and salicylate rich foods we were ingesting on a daily basis we can now tolerate the goat.  Hope this helps!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Have you thought about eliminating histamine foods?  Eggs are definitely one.  Also avocado, citrus, spinach, kiwi, chocolate, the list goes on and on.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing. We have been doing feingold and are about to start failsafe. It would be great if this thread was active again!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM

I do a variation of the failsafe diet.  My current diet consists of plain unbleached flour pastries (homemade muffins, pancakes, biscuits ... anything made without yeast), eggs almost every day, oatmeal occasionally, whole milk occasionally, butter, canola oil occasionally, chicken breast, baked potato, sweet potato, pear, golden delicious apple, carrots, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, celery, plain pastas with butter, mozzarella cheese (in moderation), sushi rice, vanilla ice cream, very occasionally a hamburger.  

I used to eat a lot of whole wheat (have a wheat grinder and made my own breads/muffins, etc).  My asthma got aggrevated once after eating whole wheat cereal so I decided to cut it out for a while ... my overall lung function improved after just cutting that out for a few weeks and my chronic yeast dissapeared  (oral thrush/vaginal yeast for 4 years ... even with antifungals).  I do believe now that I don't just have sal/histamin intol but also oxalate intolerance because of the connection with yeast and asthma.  I can't take straight vitamin C without feeling very tense and OCDish afterwards.  Very strange feeling...  apparently there is a connection between high vitamin C and natural production of oxalates.

I just had some blood work done and all my vitamin/minerals checked were in the normal levels.  My copper was toward the low end and my magnesium was borderline low.  My B6 was medium-high (not too high, though), zinc was normal.  

I would love to find out what the cause of this is.  My eating was normal until about 6 years ago when suddenly something changed I started having throat swelling, tongue tingling and face tingling reactions.  Then it progressed to chronic asthma with asthma attacks.  The failsafe diet has helped a lot but I still don't always feel great.  I would love to find out what caused this ... how to fix it ... what dr to see.  

Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Oxalates mimic a histamine related affect.  I read this and I have also experienced this with myself and my son.  Foods that are high in histamine, such as beets for example, will make him tired and he'll a flash of a headache.  Also rutabaga.  Be careful with citric acid as well.  It causes histamine release.  And sodium benzoate, which occurs naturally in some fruits.  Maybe check to see if any of the things you are eating are high in oxalates, citric acid, or sodium benzoate.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Calcium, Mg, and C.  Calcium helps to remove histamine from the body.  Also Vit. B6 does as well.  And epsom salts work really well for us too.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Where do you live?  I need one so bad.  I'm in Athens, GA.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 PM

We have been having really good luck with MSM.  But also Ca has been most helpful.  It helps to remove histamine form the body as does Vit B6.  Supplement Mg with epsom salts.  

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Sammy - have you looked into the possibility of mastocytosis?  You mention joint or bone pain which is common with masto as well as a lot of other allergies and rashes.   The reason I call myself the "SpottedFoxx" is because I am covered in spots caused by too much histamine in my body.  I have systemic mastocytosis.  If you want more info, please feel free to PM me.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM

My daughte has severe salicylate sensitivity and is suspected of having mitochondrial disease...

http://babyfoodsteps.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/s-is-for-salicylate/

I have a number of friends with mito kiddos who are also being worked up for mastocytosis

have you heard of Dr. Theo? He has found a link between the 2 disorders.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfoodsteps View Post

My daughte has severe salicylate sensitivity and is suspected of having mitochondrial disease...

I have a number of friends with mito kiddos who are also being worked up for mastocytosis

Thanks for posting! Nice blog article ...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfoodsteps View Post

Dr. Theo is the cat's meow!  He's also done some ground breaking research on the blood/brain/gut barrier.  Just google his name and blood brain gut and you'll get the videos.

Have you heard of Dr. Escrobinas in Spain? He's doing some incredible pediatric stuff  as well (he's a sweetheart and so is his wife - met them at a masto conference).  He has a clinic and will answer parent emails so if you find info on him and have questions - just email him.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

My 29 month old daughter has a salicylate sensitivity that was diagnosed by an allergist. The only symptoms she showed were a rash around her mouth and under her eyes and she would stop eating whatever the food was. We have done a good job of avoiding the rash now, but I am wondering if only certain sals bother her or if all do.
My concern is that we are having a terrible time potty training her. She knows what to do and seems interested, but doesn't stay dry for long periods of time. Some days are better than others and I wonder if there is a correlation to what we ate that day.. I read somewhere that several sals sensitive kids were hard to potty train or were potty trained and had accidents after eating high sal foods. Have any of you experienced this? She is a smart girl and I just wonder if I need to cut out more sal foods that originally thought. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 PM

@ellasmommy10 have you looked into if she may also have an issue processing oxalates? They can lead to vaganial pain and painful urination and dumping of oxalate crystals in the urine that others have reported causes alot of issue and pain with potty training...

I have noticed that alot of people on the oxalate board also have issues with salicylates and I believe both are linked by mitochondrial dysfunction/disease.

User Tag List