Salicylate/Amine/Histamine Sensitive Tribe - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried to keep my omega 6s in check the past few days and I am feeling much better. My breathing feels almost normal. I'm not huffing when walking fast and feel almost normal when walking up stairs. My joints are a little achy today, but I went ice skating with the boys so I am attributing some of the discomfort to that.

I need to really address sals. I don't think my youngest has the same level of sals problems as others on here. But, I do think we have a problem and I feel that if I am more selective about what sals he has, then it will open us up to sals that are of a higher nutritive value. So, I am further reducing our olive oil and only using when needed. I am really cutting out most of our cinnamon. He loves pumpkin pie filling though, so I'm not sure what to put in that ideas? just extra nutmeg, etc? I really want him to be able to have more coconut milk and oil.

How are juices? He drinks quite a bit of purple grape juice. My guess it is high in sals. Another option we have is herbal tea - high in sals? How about mango nectar?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#122 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I've tried to keep my omega 6s in check the past few days and I am feeling much better. My breathing feels almost normal. I'm not huffing when walking fast and feel almost normal when walking up stairs. My joints are a little achy today, but I went ice skating with the boys so I am attributing some of the discomfort to that.

I need to really address sals. I don't think my youngest has the same level of sals problems as others on here. But, I do think we have a problem and I feel that if I am more selective about what sals he has, then it will open us up to sals that are of a higher nutritive value. So, I am further reducing our olive oil and only using when needed. I am really cutting out most of our cinnamon. He loves pumpkin pie filling though, so I'm not sure what to put in that ideas? just extra nutmeg, etc? I really want him to be able to have more coconut milk and oil.

How are juices? He drinks quite a bit of purple grape juice. My guess it is high in sals. Another option we have is herbal tea - high in sals? How about mango nectar?
Yay on seeing less inflammation, that's awesome. For me, the ding-ding-ding came when I realized my pale, shade seeking, 30 factor sunscreen wearing self could now hang out in the sun for hours without sunscreen or protective clothing and not burn. Like wow. I didn't think of myself as having inflammation issues, but that change was hard to deny!

Given the sals your son is eating, I'd leave in the cinnamon (maybe reduce it a tad, but pumpkin pie filling is really nutritious - we eat a ton of it), and ditch the juices. Purple grape juice is wildly high in sals. If he drinks quite a bit, getting rid of that alone might get you back pretty much anything else you want. Herbal teas, most are extremely high in sals, except camomile. Mango is one of the few fruits that is moderate in sals, so that juice works better for us than any other. But basically, we don't do juice - I'd rather get the sals from other sources, juice can fill a sals bucket in a BIG hurry.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#123 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Yay on seeing less inflammation, that's awesome. For me, the ding-ding-ding came when I realized my pale, shade seeking, 30 factor sunscreen wearing self could now hang out in the sun for hours without sunscreen or protective clothing and not burn. Like wow. I didn't think of myself as having inflammation issues, but that change was hard to deny!

Given the sals your son is eating, I'd leave in the cinnamon (maybe reduce it a tad, but pumpkin pie filling is really nutritious - we eat a ton of it), and ditch the juices. Purple grape juice is wildly high in sals. If he drinks quite a bit, getting rid of that alone might get you back pretty much anything else you want. Herbal teas, most are extremely high in sals, except camomile. Mango is one of the few fruits that is moderate in sals, so that juice works better for us than any other. But basically, we don't do juice - I'd rather get the sals from other sources, juice can fill a sals bucket in a BIG hurry.
thanks. I will move us away from juices with mango nectar as a support. We highly water them down, but still I can see that they are filling his sals bucket. We both took a bath today with five cups of epsom salts, inspired by Jane. How is lemon on sals?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#124 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lemon is low sals, so is lime.

And moving away from juices is huge - in terms of sals, I bet 1/4c of purple grape juice = an entire can of coconut milk...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#125 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really trying to find healing for my intolerances. Thinking back to Dec. 2005, I had an extremely bad stomach virus/food poisioning which had me vomitting/diarrhea for 12 hours straight (basically 1-2x an hour) ... it was the worse sickness I have ever had. One month later, while eating a couscous salad that was about a week old (had eaten it every day ... contained tons of veggies and olive oil ...) but everytime I ate a slice of tomato my left hand swelled a little ... until the point where it was badly swollen/painful/red/hot. After that point I had several episodes of "lumps in my throat" while eating at restaurants ... always the same thing, spicy/tomato/italian food and a soda -- coke/rootbeer ... throat would start to close a little but then stop if I stopped eating and then just stay as a "lump" feeling. Fast forward several months of these episodes. I get pregnant. During my pregnancy none of these symptoms ... I ate freely without problem. Within 8 weeks postpartum I start having bad symptoms, asthma, tongue tingling, lip swelling, facial tingling. This wasn't just to the spicy foods, now, it was to sooo many foods (apple/blueberry/cheese/yogurt/cereal/crackers/apple juice/pork) ... I dragged myself to an allergist 4 months postpartum and was told other than "mild corn/rice allergy" I'm not allergic to food but a host of other environmental things which I already knew ... and my asthma is so bad I was at 50% on the lung test. Then I went on high dose inhaled steroid which then caused me to develop oral thrush. For over 2 yrs now I've been struggling with oral and vaginal yeast. Several months after the allergist visit (Sept. 2007) I went to an ENT (Mar. 08) and was told I could have salicylate sensitivity because of how narrow/swollen my sinuses were (also known as sampter's triad). So I found the failsafe diet and have been really avoiding most salicylates and amines in my diet ever since.

My question is -- is there a way to heal my body? I just went gluten free in hopes of getting rid of the yeast. I also added in candidase enzyme into my diet. I cut out refined sugar and have lowered the amount of carbs/grains I eat. I just started epsom salt baths. I started taking thyroid meds because in the past few months have also been diagnosed as hypo. What else can I do to improve my enzyme function?

I can't tolerate any long fermented foods (only a little bit of cheese and homemade yogurt). It seems I can tolerate one moderate-high sals a day in my diet without a bad reaction. Not sure about high-amine foods.
Adamsmama is offline  
#126 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adamsmama -

Supping mag/molybdenum/b6 (we use the active form of b6, P5P), and balancing omega 3s & 6s in our diet (which meant trying extremely hard to avoid 6s at all, and add as many 3s as possible), were the keys to improving my son's sals tolerance.

It sounds like histamines might be issues for you too - the supps to help there are vite C, methyl b12, and mag/b6 to a lesser extent.

For supporting methylation (which is often an underlying issue for environmental allergies), supp methyl b12, folate (folinic acid or mthf folate, NOT folic acid), and then mag/b6 help here as well.

To help with yeast, supp biotin, and probiotics.

And a general B complex is a good idea, the Bs work together, so if you take high b6/b12 and not the others, you can create deficiencies in the others.

Basically, being sick, pregnant, and reacting can run down a whole bunch of nutrient stores in your body. I'd try some therapeutic level doses of the supps mentioned above for a month or two, and see if that improves how you feel.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#127 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
And moving away from juices is huge - in terms of sals, I bet 1/4c of purple grape juice = an entire can of coconut milk...
holy smokes I had no idea.

Well that explains why I feel the way I do. I decided to do a sals experiment on myself. But, I did more than I bargained for. I'm trying to drink a lot because of zeolite so I probably had 3/4 cup of juice, plus an entire can of coconut milk. yikes. My bladder is sore and twitchy and my breathing is icky, I'm exhausted, and my lower bowels are very unhappy. So the symptoms I attributed to inflammation - well they might be sals. Will experiment more in the future but first I need to recover.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#128 of 391 Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
holy smokes I had no idea.

Well that explains why I feel the way I do. I decided to do a sals experiment on myself. But, I did more than I bargained for. I'm trying to drink a lot because of zeolite so I probably had 3/4 cup of juice, plus an entire can of coconut milk. yikes. My bladder is sore and twitchy and my breathing is icky, I'm exhausted, and my lower bowels are very unhappy. So the symptoms I attributed to inflammation - well they might be sals. Will experiment more in the future but first I need to recover.
Yeah - fruit is CRAZY high sals compared to almost anything else. And inflammation relates to sals tolerance - not sure how or why, but for DS, it definitely does.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#129 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Adamsmama -

Supping mag/molybdenum/b6 (we use the active form of b6, P5P), and balancing omega 3s & 6s in our diet (which meant trying extremely hard to avoid 6s at all, and add as many 3s as possible), were the keys to improving my son's sals tolerance.

It sounds like histamines might be issues for you too - the supps to help there are vite C, methyl b12, and mag/b6 to a lesser extent.

For supporting methylation (which is often an underlying issue for environmental allergies), supp methyl b12, folate (folinic acid or mthf folate, NOT folic acid), and then mag/b6 help here as well.

To help with yeast, supp biotin, and probiotics.

And a general B complex is a good idea, the Bs work together, so if you take high b6/b12 and not the others, you can create deficiencies in the others.

Basically, being sick, pregnant, and reacting can run down a whole bunch of nutrient stores in your body. I'd try some therapeutic level doses of the supps mentioned above for a month or two, and see if that improves how you feel.
Thank you so much for this info. I've been drinking several cups of emergen-c a day which is high in b12/b6 and c and also contains some other stuff ... but not sure if I need even more. I just purchased methyl-b12 today to start trying. I bought a B complex vitamin as well but I'm not sure if I got the right thing ... it seems to have b12 in it again along with b6 ... was I supposed to get something else (it also has some other b vitamins). As far as vitamin C goes ... which one do you recommend. Is Emergen-c good to still take (I always take this if I have a reaction ... seems to help immediately). I couldn't find folate at our health food store ... will look at the drug store next week. Also, I'm taking a multi vitamin now (actually it is a prenatal, on the request of my OBGYN ... should I not be taking it?)
Adamsmama is offline  
#130 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
Thank you so much for this info. I've been drinking several cups of emergen-c a day which is high in b12/b6 and c and also contains some other stuff ... but not sure if I need even more. I just purchased methyl-b12 today to start trying. I bought a B complex vitamin as well but I'm not sure if I got the right thing ... it seems to have b12 in it again along with b6 ... was I supposed to get something else (it also has some other b vitamins). As far as vitamin C goes ... which one do you recommend. Is Emergen-c good to still take (I always take this if I have a reaction ... seems to help immediately). I couldn't find folate at our health food store ... will look at the drug store next week. Also, I'm taking a multi vitamin now (actually it is a prenatal, on the request of my OBGYN ... should I not be taking it?)
What flavor is the Emergen-C? Any fruit flavor except lemon or lime will be crazy high in sals... I order vitamins online at iherb.com - take a look at the Thorne vites, they are pretty inexpensive and have the right forms of the B vitamins. For C, anything without fruit flavors and bioflavonoids (high sals). Sorry for the short reply, one handed NAK...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#131 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 02:31 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
What flavor is the Emergen-C? Any fruit flavor except lemon or lime will be crazy high in sals... I order vitamins online at iherb.com - take a look at the Thorne vites, they are pretty inexpensive and have the right forms of the B vitamins. For C, anything without fruit flavors and bioflavonoids (high sals). Sorry for the short reply, one handed NAK...
wow! I had no idea...it is tangerine...I could try lemon/lime...
Adamsmama is offline  
#132 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was such a sore tummy and gut today. I think from yesterday's sals overdose. It is a good reminder of what my youngest goes through.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#133 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ... This is what I bought for a B-complex. Is the wrong thing?

Balanced B-50 Tabs

Thiamin 3333%
Riboflavin 2941%
Niacin 250%
Vitamin B6 2500%
Folic Acid 100% 400mcg
B12 833%
Biotin 17%
Panthenic Acid 500%
Choline 50mg
Inositol 50mg
PABA 50mg

I also got methyl-b12 which has 1000mcg 16,670%
Is this too much B12???

I need to figure out a good type of vitamin C. I'm really hoping to see some improvements with these extra vitamins.
Adamsmama is offline  
#134 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.5 year old son who is highly sensitive to b12 can handle 1000mcg a day . Several kids around here take 5x that much. You'll likely find a lot is helpful, with your enviro allergies. Is it sublingual form? If so, what flavor? (Sublingual is by far the best, but fruit/mint flavors are very high sals).

The b vite is fine - it doesn't have the desirable form of folate or b12 probably, but it will help balance out your b's.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#135 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
My 2.5 year old son who is highly sensitive to b12 can handle 1000mcg a day . Several kids around here take 5x that much. You'll likely find a lot is helpful, with your enviro allergies. Is it sublingual form? If so, what flavor? (Sublingual is by far the best, but fruit/mint flavors are very high sals).

The b vite is fine - it doesn't have the desirable form of folate or b12 probably, but it will help balance out your b's.
Good to know. So ... it isn't bad to mix the b complex with the b12 vitamin (since they both contain b12?) Should I also supplement a separate B6?
Adamsmama is offline  
#136 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
 
sunny65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a similar question. Is it enough if I take a prenatal vitamin and extra doses of B12, B6 or should I add another B vitamin in the mix?

My doc put me on mega doses of Omega 3 and after a while I noticed that a my son was spitting more and my skin has turned horribly dry (could be due to low fat intake too). Does that mean I have exhausted my Vit E? Should I supplement that too? If yes, how much?

How long is supplementing with extra B6, B12 necessary? Is it till we can tolerate some sals (moderate)?
sunny65 is offline  
#137 of 391 Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately, I think the how much for how long kinds of questions are very inidividual. For DS, he required extra b6 for about 6 months, but we've been doing a lot to correct the underlying reason he required lots of b6.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#138 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adamsmama, your write up sounds like me and my kiddos. I have added in a b complex called raw B's from garden of Life, and started up on molybdenum, and my kids are seeing big changes.
Not to worry you, but I was not seeing big results for me after trying just about everything. Then I found out that I have lyme disease. I have been treating that instead and all my major symptoms are going away. Taking digestive enzymes has made the most difference for me. The lyme was messing big time with my digestion.
Koalamom is offline  
#139 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Adamsmama, your write up sounds like me and my kiddos. I have added in a b complex called raw B's from garden of Life, and started up on molybdenum, and my kids are seeing big changes.
Not to worry you, but I was not seeing big results for me after trying just about everything. Then I found out that I have lyme disease. I have been treating that instead and all my major symptoms are going away. Taking digestive enzymes has made the most difference for me. The lyme was messing big time with my digestion.
WOW! I didn't know this could be symptoms of lyme disease ... did you just found out you have it?
Adamsmama is offline  
#140 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Adamsmama, your write up sounds like me and my kiddos. I have added in a b complex called raw B's from garden of Life, and started up on molybdenum, and my kids are seeing big changes.
Not to worry you, but I was not seeing big results for me after trying just about everything. Then I found out that I have lyme disease. I have been treating that instead and all my major symptoms are going away. Taking digestive enzymes has made the most difference for me. The lyme was messing big time with my digestion.
Since this is a sals thread, just a note of caution about raw foods supps, including this one. They are almost all ridiculously high in sals... (the first ingredient for this one is strawberry, followed by several other fruits). I tried a whole foods chewable C with DS - and 1/4 of 1 chewable turned him into a wild child. Same story with the herbs in many supps - again, very high in sals.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#141 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Since this is a sals thread, just a note of caution about raw foods supps, including this one. They are almost all ridiculously high in sals... (the first ingredient for this one is strawberry, followed by several other fruits). I tried a whole foods chewable C with DS - and 1/4 of 1 chewable turned him into a wild child. Same story with the herbs in many supps - again, very high in sals.
So for vitamin C ... do you suggest a pill form or dissolvable powder? I agree -- I'm not taking anything that has raw fruits in it because the last time I ate a few berries I got swelling in my lips. Not taking any chances on that ...
Adamsmama is offline  
#142 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
WOW! I didn't know this could be symptoms of lyme disease ... did you just found out you have it?
I found out when I was 7 months pregnant. My baby is 6 months now. It is only since finding that I have lyme, I can figure out how I have so many food issues. If you have only ever been bitten once, I would not even push aside the possibility of lyme. My baby has lyme from me, and that is where his health issue stem from.
Koalamom is offline  
#143 of 391 Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Since this is a sals thread, just a note of caution about raw foods supps, including this one. They are almost all ridiculously high in sals... (the first ingredient for this one is strawberry, followed by several other fruits). I tried a whole foods chewable C with DS - and 1/4 of 1 chewable turned him into a wild child. Same story with the herbs in many supps - again, very high in sals.
Thanks for the caution. I only give the ones that test for my kids, and some of the whole food garden of life sups don't test good, but then again some do. And even thought we have issues with some of the foods listed on the bottles, in the supplement form, my kids are fine, and actually do well.
Koalamom is offline  
#144 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Since this is a sals thread, just a note of caution about raw foods supps, including this one. They are almost all ridiculously high in sals... (the first ingredient for this one is strawberry, followed by several other fruits). I tried a whole foods chewable C with DS - and 1/4 of 1 chewable turned him into a wild child. Same story with the herbs in many supps - again, very high in sals.
Ditto. I tried a living vitamin C from Garden of Life and my bladder went into major spasms for a couple hours!! Thankfully it only lasted that long which was a great sign of healing. I take acerola and acai vitamin C forms just fine but that C complex had a bunch of citrus and berry extracts.

I like liver or liver capsules for the B vits. I just got Megafood's B complex which is also food form and it's from Brewers Yeast so that could be okay for sal intolerance?
http://www.iherb.com/Mega-Food-Daily...lets/3992?at=0

Is the folate from broccoli the right form?

I highly rec Jarrow Methyl B 12 sublingual, the 1000mcg. is lemon flavor (take more than one if an adult) and low in sals but I tolerate the 5000mcg. which is cherry just fine, YMMV.

Taking B12 orally doesn't do any good b/c most people with gut issues don't product the intrinsic factor to absorb it. A sublingual is held under the tongue as it slowly dissolves and the B12 goes directly into the bloodstream.
JaneS is offline  
#145 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
So for vitamin C ... do you suggest a pill form or dissolvable powder? I agree -- I'm not taking anything that has raw fruits in it because the last time I ate a few berries I got swelling in my lips. Not taking any chances on that ...

You could actually be sensitive to the pure form of vitamin C for a number of reasons. Most ascorbic acid vit C are made from corn. Twinlab's allergy C is made from palm, so that might be a good choice. There's another allergy one but I forget, maybe someone else will chime in.

However, many people with sal sensitivity do not do well on vitamin C supplements at all. My son doesn't. I only give it to him when I absolutely have to to combat illness (but now he is doing really well on zinc and high vitamin D in addition to A/D in cod liver oil as his immune support.)

The Plant Poison blog has a very interesting take on vitamin C:
http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstu...ioxidant-myth/

You just have to try some different kinds to see what works for you. Usually I buy anything new at a place I can return it easily if it doesn't work for us.
JaneS is offline  
#146 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone taking a chelated Mo supplement? I'd like to upgrade the one we are on now but cannot find a good one without crappy additives.
JaneS is offline  
#147 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 02:41 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M2S,

Cinnamon has still been a trigger for me beyond the smallest amount and I can tolerate a lot of sals right now. I would take it out.

Other people have their pendulum, I have my Bladder Meter.

I would just add more vanilla which is FAILSAFE right?

Coconut is very high in sals
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/food-guide
JaneS is offline  
#148 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
wow! I had no idea...it is tangerine...I could try lemon/lime...
I would ditch the Emergen-C.

The B vitamins are not in the correct form to do any good, it has fruit extracts which will make you react if you are sal sensitive, and it's expensive compared to just a regular vitamin C supplement for only 1 gram of C per packet.

Aspartic acid is also an amino acid that is an excitotoxin.
JaneS is offline  
#149 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Adamsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I would ditch the Emergen-C.

The B vitamins are not in the correct form to do any good, it has fruit extracts which will make you react if you are sal sensitive, and it's expensive compared to just a regular vitamin C supplement for only 1 gram of C per packet.

Aspartic acid is also an amino acid that is an excitotoxin.
Well, the emergen-c has been keeping me going for a little over a year. If I react to anything and immediately take that it calms my reaction...sometimes I have to take 2 packs -but usually just one. I now believe my reactions are more from histamine intolerance than sals but I could be wrong.

I just bought powdered vitamin c and I hope I don't react because I'm supposed to be avoiding corn. I took 1/4 tsp today in some water.
Adamsmama is offline  
#150 of 391 Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
Well, the emergen-c has been keeping me going for a little over a year. If I react to anything and immediately take that it calms my reaction...sometimes I have to take 2 packs -but usually just one. I now believe my reactions are more from histamine intolerance than sals but I could be wrong.

I just bought powdered vitamin c and I hope I don't react because I'm supposed to be avoiding corn. I took 1/4 tsp today in some water.
C really helps with histamine - but if you take it daily, it will help prevent the histamine reaction in the first place - you need to be taking about 2g a day for it to work that way.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off