Salicylate/Amine/Histamine Sensitive Tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 391 Old 04-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Holy smokes, I just read the plant poison blog about thyroid and food chemical sensitivities. That's a serious turn-around, I was expecting a small nod to other factors besides these things just being bad. Wow. Yeah, I think you're right--the time is coming when, for people looking for answers, you just need to stumble across one place, and then a host of interrelated issues and answers will be there to investigate, figure out which are yours and which aren't.

Woo-hoo! :j oy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 391 Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are so cute, I'm glad you are here.

Did you also notice Emma recognized her low folate status too!! Could have knocked me over with a feather.
#243 of 391 Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Totally unrelated for my DS (he's a little heater, definitely not low body temps!), but I can see how it could be related for lots of people.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#244 of 391 Old 04-11-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Totally unrelated for my DS (he's a little heater, definitely not low body temps!), but I can see how it could be related for lots of people.
Could it be an issue on the other end of the spectrum? Does his temp run above normal?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#245 of 391 Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 AM

No, I don't think so... But taking his temp is an imprecise exercise at best, so who knows, LOL!

#246 of 391 Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Very interesting about the thyroid stuff- I'm always cold. I don't have many other symptoms though. Not sure about ds2.

I thought I'd share sources of info for various food chemical sensitivities, just in case it could be helpful for someone to have a few all in one place.

Failsafe diet (salicylates, amines, glutamates, additives)

Allergy Dietitian - info on sources of Sals, histamine, amines, sulfites, glutamates, additives, etc

Salicylate Sensitivity

High phenol foods

Sals, amines, glutamates

Histamine restricted diet

Benzoates
http://www.allergyadvisor.com/Educational/Aug05.htm
http://www.bsom.org.uk/PatientInform...ietcinbenz.pdf

Oxalates

I know the last few aren't sals or amines, but I found them, and thought they may help someone

I'm still trying to figure out why ds's reaction to sweet potatoes is so much worse than his reaction to berries. My next step is to retest sweet potato, to see if his reaction is still just as bad or if his tolerance has gone up a lot (which would explain the difference in reactions).
I think we have a sensitivity on top of sals. I'm thinking histamine or benzoates (I think he reacted to added benzoates before).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#247 of 391 Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 PM

I was thinking about getting DS1's thyroid checked, now I'm definitely going to do it. I'm fairly certain that I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem while I was pregnant with him (possibly due to a malfunctioning pituitary gland). I'm thinking this might have set him up for problems himself? Or would it be totally unrelated?

<>< Alison
#248 of 391 Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
I was thinking about getting DS1's thyroid checked, now I'm definitely going to do it. I'm fairly certain that I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem while I was pregnant with him (possibly due to a malfunctioning pituitary gland). I'm thinking this might have set him up for problems himself? Or would it be totally unrelated?

Hypopituitary?
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/hypopituitary-faq/

As I understand it, a high TSH will stimulate the fetus' thryroid to produce excess thyroid hormones. I'm not sure of the impact of a low T4/T3 in the mother will do.

TSH is a pituitary hormone, and that is the only test most MD's run... if it is low, your thyroid is pronounced fine. Which is wrong. Free T3/T4 and if autoimmune thyroidistis suspected, anti thyroid antibodies, ATA and anti TPO antibodies as well.

4 different types of hypothyroidism might be helpful to read here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/Best-Kept-Secret.html
#249 of 391 Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Does salicylate sensitivity put one at an increased risk for bleeding during labor/delivery or surgery? I'm planning a homebirth with this one but this has become an increased fear. My thought was - if my body doesn't process salicylates properly leading to an increase of sals does that act as if I've been popping aspirin? I do follow a low sals diet but I still sometimes eat med. sals like carrots, sweet potatoes ...

I'm not sure if I was this sensitive during my last pg ... I was never on a special diet but I was reacting to several foods prior to getting pg last time. During the 2nd and 3rd trimester I felt great and was eating all kinds of high sals/histamine foods (think dark chocolate covered coconut and pizza...) My delivery was induced (for other reasons) but it all went fine -- I remember feeling a little bit "out of it" after the birth -- sort of panicky and shaky but the nurses seemed to think I was fine. I had gotten an epidural right before delivery (within 20 min) and I had been in intense pain - the worse pain of any labor from the pitocin - and I think my blood pressure dropped pretty rapidly. They made me lie flat with warm blankets...I'm not wanting to be at the hospital but not sure if I'm over thinking this or not.
#250 of 391 Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM

I don't know for sure Adamsmama, but I had an issue after giving birth. My blood pressure dropped and I fainted and blacked out the first time I got up. I had to have clots cleaned out of my uterus. I had a long 40 hr. labor with pitocin and all kinds of medical crap b/c I wasn't progressing.
#251 of 391 Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on re: thyroid. And came across this interesting piece of info which sure sounds relevant to how a body is processing salicylates and amines:

Quote:
Another metabolic task [monitored and controlled by the thyroid] is the conversion of alcohol and medicines into a form in which the body can get rid of them.

from: "Thyroid Problems in Women and Children" by Joan Gomez MD
Essentially saying liver function is controlled by the thyroid! I came across the liver connection in another book too but lost it b/c I wasn't aware of it in this way at the time. I will be on the lookout for more specific info. I wonder if people with "rockin' detox systems" just simply have a fully functioning thyroid. This book is generally much too mainstream for my taste, i.e. constantly saying radioactive iodine is the greatest and safest thing on the planet... NOT... but has some good info in there re: children, thyroid issues and pregnancy.

This book also made me aware of the metabolic rate of children needing to be much higher than an adult to spur growth and bone development and how thyroid controls calcium regulation.
#252 of 391 Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I don't know for sure Adamsmama, but I had an issue after giving birth. My blood pressure dropped and I fainted and blacked out the first time I got up. I had to have clots cleaned out of my uterus. I had a long 40 hr. labor with pitocin and all kinds of medical crap b/c I wasn't progressing.
I had the same issue with both my births - and I'm not sals sensitive, and they were both midwife attended, low intervention births (the second at home). My midwife said it's pretty common, and that cultures that put women to bed for several days after birth are smart .

I've looked at all DS' tests, and tried to take his mid-day temps, and no sign that thyroid is an issue for him. So I think there are likely multiple paths to sals sensitivity - for him I think it was mag deficiency compounded by arsenic & antimony toxicity (which impact mag utilization). He's eats berries a couple times a week now, with no issues - so his sals tolerance is way higher than it used to be.

#253 of 391 Old 04-24-2010, 01:07 AM

Yes, I agree, nutrient deficiencies certainly play a role.

#254 of 391 Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Hey all!

I'm new to this tribe, and haven't had a chance to read through everything yet, but wondered if I'm in the right spot.

My 7 month old DD was just diagnosed with urticaria pigmentosa (UP), and I am working hard to make sense of everything.

She has an overproduction of mast cells (which I'm sure you all know, are the cells that produce histamine). Of course the dermatologist does not recommend looking into food, but I am convinced that's where her problems lie (of course, he gave us an epi-pen, but didn't tell us to look out for food allergies - crazy!!). I am gluten intolerant, and have food issues my whole life. I believe most things can be backed by food sensitivities, and plan on finding out what DD's sensitivities are.

My MIL, a master herbalist, is coming to visit this weekend, and we will be doing tons of muscle testing (through me) on my DD. I have been researching as much as possible all the foods containing histamine as a starting point for our testing.

So, two big questions, for anyone that has dealt with a histamine intolerance...Do you have any personal feedback/advice on where I should begin with her? Food wise, she is eating very little...puffed rice, peas, apples (she won't do purees), and my diet is limited because of gluten. Otherwise, my diet is histamine laden...oops. Do I need to do a complete elimination diet? If so, how long until I see results with DD (with gluten elimination it took nearly 3 months for me to feel good, and to see results - will it take so long with a bfing infant?). I am nervous that I might waste away! No gluten and no histamine-rich foods. Yowsa.

There is so much I'd like to ask, or seek advice on, but I'll wait to see if anyone might have an opinion for me to get into more. Thanks so much for anything you can tell me!!

Lauren, wife to Brian, mom to Ruby (05.10.07) and Sylvie (09.30.09) and baby #3 to arrive in March 2014!

#255 of 391 Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM

I'd start taking lots of methyl B12 and vitamin C (maybe consider giving her some as well) - both help reduce histamine levels in the blood.

It will also be important for you to get high histamine foods out of both your diets, at least until you empty her bucket a little.

My son was very salicylates sensitive, and it took about 2 days to see a difference once we switched to low sals foods. With the methyl B12 (or any methyl group donor - methyl groups turn off histamines), if you give your daughter sublingual methyl B12, you'll likely see some impact very quickly (like in less than an hour).

She will always likely need a lot of methyl groups to manage her histamine levels, so you might want to read about methyl donor supplements...

ETA: This is a different situation than salicylates, so you might want to post a separate thread - you might get more input .

#256 of 391 Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Does anyone know if winter squash has histamines? I've read that pumpkin does, and I'm not sure about others.

Also, are leafy greens other than spinach ok? kale?

eta- what do other sal/amine sensitive people use for sauces and condiments? Everything I can think of is out!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#257 of 391 Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM

How do I know for sure that I have salicylate sensitivity/histamine or it is my mold allergy acting up (I have a very bad mold allergy/asthma). http://www.achooallergy.com/mold-all...ensitivity.asp
#258 of 391 Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 PM

....And I had to take tons of notes - took me two days but so grateful for the info

Okay, I am soooooo tired right now and ready to go crash but I have to post right now or else I won't sleep right.

My DS (almost 7 months old) has had problems with oily fish, and just about any fruit and veg I eat (which turns out to be all high sals), also with grains including millet and buckwheat. We've been free many months of all top allergens and intolerances (but recently trialled egg which I don't know what happened as he isn't at baseline). He's still exclusively breastfed because I have had no luck up until now with solid foods. That will hopefully change now that I'm finally getting on the ball with the food chemical stuff. I believe JaneS pulled me up on this around 2 months ago but I got totally side tracked and never looked into it all. I'm a life-long sals junky to be honest but not any more Been off of them for 2 days and I am feeling sparky and bright.

I've got some questions and would love some thoughts - thanks so much....

1) Corn Diapers - Would corn diapers (the eco disposable kind that uses maize) be an issue? Was using cloth up until now but can't cope with the washing as I've got too much going on. I started using these diapers recently and I'm concerned that there may be a sals issue (or some other chemical as I haven't learned by heart what they all are, etc).

2) Omega 3 - help!!! - DS can't tolerate oily fish, I have always been very sensitive to flaxseeds (I got a very tingly and itchy throat from eating them) and my pendulum tested a huge NO for him (almost swung out of my hands). I am at a loss for what to do about omega 3. I want to get that sorted so that it will help with the sensitivities as well as the fact that he needs them (so do I). What do I do? What about sprouted flaxseeds with the lignans? I also don't tolerate EPO. Haven't tried chia seeds yet and doubt my body can covert the plant stuff well tbh. Does cod/white fish have enough in it? Seems to be on the sals ED list and I haven't trialled cod yet.

3) CLO / Fermented or Not - DS can't take any ferments it seems so would the FCLO that I have be a problem too? It does have HVBO added to it and he is dairy sensitive (don't know what type of casein, don't know what type of dairy, as haven't tried them all. The pendulum says a big NO to goat's milk products. I'm trying out ghee right now but he isn't exactly at baseline from a bad reaction to an apple I trialled the other day Sorry I'm rambling, but would it be better for me to try a less superior type of CLO that hasn't been fermented due to the possible sensitivity to fermented foods? Also, is it worth just sticking out the fish oil (without butter) so that we can get to a place where we are less sensitive to sals due to it helping (I think I read somewhere on this thread that clo would be a great help)?

4) I'm out of fats - can't do olive oil, or goose fat (can't remember which chemical is a possible problem with dripping type fats) but that is all I was using and now I have no fats to cook with which will really depress me. What about white palm oil? Is this a no-no whilst I'm figuring out the food chem sensitivities? I know that we can't do coconut milk but haven't tried the oil yet and must do a proper trial, but DS is not at baseline yet.

5) Vit C - what is the safest form to use during this ED? All of the alternatives seems to be from sali fruits. What about tapioca as a source? Any ideas for us here?

6) Calcium - As we are dairy free and not supping for cal (he reacts to cal supps), we were relying on me eating bone broths. I now know that broths are not to be cooked for longer than 2 hours on the ED. I also suspect in my gut (no pun intended) that the broths are not great for us at all, even though it goes against my logic. No broths, dairy or supps - what will we do for calcium? Can you tell I am panicking?

7) Magnesium - I am going to try epsom salt baths for us both. How much for a 7 month old? Like a teaspoon in the bath? Is it a no-no for infants of his age? I do have some Nature Calm I think it's called but my pendulum doesn't like it - but I would take it anyway if I had to. I've always needed megatons of mag just to function over the years which has gradually corrected itself but maybe it hasn't.

8) Enzymes - I took some great tips regarding these towards the end of the thread. Should they be taken just by me? Is DS too young to take them directly?

Lastly, I am finally supping - thanks to mamafish's advice on my threads - I am starting slowly (I think so anyway) and this is what I am taking:

BioCare dairy free bifidobacterium infantis for DS (and taking some myself)
BioCare dairy free acidophilus forte for myself which does contain F.O.S
BioCare mineral complex: mag 90mg, zinc 14mg, manganese 3mg, silicon 500ug, copper 200ug, mo 150ug, chromium 100ug, selenium 100ug
BioCare B Complex: B1 50mg, B2 50mg, B3 50mg, B5 50mg, B6 50mg, Vit C 40mg, Choline 30mg, Inositol 30mg, L-Glycine 30mg, P.A.B.A 30mg, Magnesium 9.5mg, folic acid 400ug, biotin 200ug, B12 50ug

I'm sure these levels are too low for myself, let alone to get through my milk to help DS. Could this be a good starting point or should I go ahead and up the mo, mag, b6, (anything else) right now as individual additional supps?

THANKS!!!!! Sorry this is so long in length....
xxxx
#259 of 391 Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama9 View Post
I've got some questions and would love some thoughts - thanks so much....

1) Corn Diapers - Would corn diapers (the eco disposable kind that uses maize) be an issue? Was using cloth up until now but can't cope with the washing as I've got too much going on. I started using these diapers recently and I'm concerned that there may be a sals issue (or some other chemical as I haven't learned by heart what they all are, etc).

No idea, but guessing not.

2) Omega 3 - help!!! - DS can't tolerate oily fish, I have always been very sensitive to flaxseeds (I got a very tingly and itchy throat from eating them) and my pendulum tested a huge NO for him (almost swung out of my hands). I am at a loss for what to do about omega 3. I want to get that sorted so that it will help with the sensitivities as well as the fact that he needs them (so do I). What do I do? What about sprouted flaxseeds with the lignans? I also don't tolerate EPO. Haven't tried chia seeds yet and doubt my body can covert the plant stuff well tbh. Does cod/white fish have enough in it? Seems to be on the sals ED list and I haven't trialled cod yet.

Decrease your omega 6 intake and don't worry about omega 3s for now. Reactions cause inflammation which makes everything worse, so stay away from stuff you don't tolerate.

3) CLO / Fermented or Not - DS can't take any ferments it seems so would the FCLO that I have be a problem too? It does have HVBO added to it and he is dairy sensitive (don't know what type of casein, don't know what type of dairy, as haven't tried them all. The pendulum says a big NO to goat's milk products. I'm trying out ghee right now but he isn't exactly at baseline from a bad reaction to an apple I trialled the other day Sorry I'm rambling, but would it be better for me to try a less superior type of CLO that hasn't been fermented due to the possible sensitivity to fermented foods? Also, is it worth just sticking out the fish oil (without butter) so that we can get to a place where we are less sensitive to sals due to it helping (I think I read somewhere on this thread that clo would be a great help)?

If he can't tolerate ferments, suspect histamines or amines as well... If he can't do oily fish, I'd stay away from CLO for now as well. There are other ways to address sals issues.

4) I'm out of fats - can't do olive oil, or goose fat (can't remember which chemical is a possible problem with dripping type fats) but that is all I was using and now I have no fats to cook with which will really depress me. What about white palm oil? Is this a no-no whilst I'm figuring out the food chem sensitivities? I know that we can't do coconut milk but haven't tried the oil yet and must do a proper trial, but DS is not at baseline yet.

You must find a fat to use - try the palm oil/shortening, we use that. If you can't do the coconut milk, I wouldn't trial that at the moment. We also used ghee, which is great if you tolerate it.

5) Vit C - what is the safest form to use during this ED? All of the alternatives seems to be from sali fruits. What about tapioca as a source? Any ideas for us here?

Whole foods C's are all a sals issue. We use plain sodium ascorbate, the tapioca one would be fine as well.

6) Calcium - As we are dairy free and not supping for cal (he reacts to cal supps), we were relying on me eating bone broths. I now know that broths are not to be cooked for longer than 2 hours on the ED. I also suspect in my gut (no pun intended) that the broths are not great for us at all, even though it goes against my logic. No broths, dairy or supps - what will we do for calcium? Can you tell I am panicking?

Why two hours? To reduce glutamates? When you're chasing food chemicals, it's really hard to do everything at once. My son never tolerated broths.

If your son doesn't tolerate calcium (mine didn't either) - don't worry about it for now. It's a great clue though that your son is likely deficient in mag and probably K2, both of which regulate calcium (he probably has HIGH tissue calcium because he isn't utilizing it properly, so he reacts to supps). So get his mag up (and K2/D/A), then he may tolerate some calcium (probably in food form first).

7) Magnesium - I am going to try epsom salt baths for us both. How much for a 7 month old? Like a teaspoon in the bath? Is it a no-no for infants of his age? I do have some Nature Calm I think it's called but my pendulum doesn't like it - but I would take it anyway if I had to. I've always needed megatons of mag just to function over the years which has gradually corrected itself but maybe it hasn't.

Two cups (at least) in a bath, put both of you in it, every night. My midwife had me do an Epsom salts bath with my newborn, it's very healing for most babies. Try that first, and see how you both do - you may need to think about more mag than that, but start there.

8) Enzymes - I took some great tips regarding these towards the end of the thread. Should they be taken just by me? Is DS too young to take them directly?

If DS is reacting to your reactions, then enzymes may help, give them a try. I wouldn't give them to a 7mo old.

Lastly, I am finally supping - thanks to mamafish's advice on my threads - I am starting slowly (I think so anyway) and this is what I am taking:

BioCare dairy free bifidobacterium infantis for DS (and taking some myself)
BioCare dairy free acidophilus forte for myself which does contain F.O.S
BioCare mineral complex: mag 90mg, zinc 14mg, manganese 3mg, silicon 500ug, copper 200ug, mo 150ug, chromium 100ug, selenium 100ug
BioCare B Complex: B1 50mg, B2 50mg, B3 50mg, B5 50mg, B6 50mg, Vit C 40mg, Choline 30mg, Inositol 30mg, L-Glycine 30mg, P.A.B.A 30mg, Magnesium 9.5mg, folic acid 400ug, biotin 200ug, B12 50ug

I'm sure these levels are too low for myself, let alone to get through my milk to help DS. Could this be a good starting point or should I go ahead and up the mo, mag, b6, (anything else) right now as individual additional supps?

Get mag straight into him with the Epsom salts baths. Try these supps for you, see where you're at (I'd be very careful with the acidophilus forte, my son reacted badly to both FOS and acidophilus in general, so if you get a bad reaction, that's what I'd suspect first). I'd do more mo and more mag for you. Try that for a couple weeks, if you're not seeing improvements, post again.

THANKS!!!!! Sorry this is so long in length....
xxxx
Good luck!

#260 of 391 Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mama9, you might try magnesium glycinate. natural calm is mag citrate, and citric acid can be corn-derived, or derived from other stuff you're sensitive to. you can also make a supersaturated solution of epsom salts, and put it in a spray bottle and spray it on, if either of you doesn't tolerate daily baths. fish is a very high histamine food, higher as it ages. you didn't mention d3 in your supps- you can find lanolin-derived ones (carlson). the d3 helps you absorb cal and mag, so you need lower supplement levels.
#261 of 391 Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks so much mamafish, I got the Epsom salts today and will order the other supps. He has reacted badly from something (haven't tried the salts yet) and I do suspect the probiotics. Perhaps I will look into one that is free of FOS and acidophilus. I am taking tiny spoons of homemade ghee to cook with until I can buy and trial some palm oil. I bought some ground flax and did a pendulum test and we both got a fat yes so maybe we needed the whole food and not just the oil. I tried some tonight. Maybe I should have waited a bit. Hope it goes okay!

Thank you again! xxx
#262 of 391 Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
mama9, you might try magnesium glycinate. natural calm is mag citrate, and citric acid can be corn-derived, or derived from other stuff you're sensitive to. you can also make a supersaturated solution of epsom salts, and put it in a spray bottle and spray it on, if either of you doesn't tolerate daily baths. fish is a very high histamine food, higher as it ages. you didn't mention d3 in your supps- you can find lanolin-derived ones (carlson). the d3 helps you absorb cal and mag, so you need lower supplement levels.
Thank you so much for your advice, I will include it in my supp shopping! xxx
#263 of 391 Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

We use and prefer mag glycinate - but it tastes awful, the worst of the mags. So if your child will swallow even small capsules, it's great (you can repackage into smaller capsules if you need) - but if they won't, mag glycinate is very difficult to hide/disguise.

#264 of 391 Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
We use and prefer mag glycinate - but it tastes awful, the worst of the mags. So if your child will swallow even small capsules, it's great (you can repackage into smaller capsules if you need) - but if they won't, mag glycinate is very difficult to hide/disguise.
Ah, really? Well what I will do is take it myself and just stick to the baths for DS (I'll bath with him too) for now. I haven't gotten much into DS other than breastmilk directly from the boob since he was born so he would def have a problem swallowing caps right now. When he is ready to go there I will try your tip about putting them into smaller caps, that's a great idea, to bypass the taste.
#265 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Arrrrgh!!!!

I just want to cry right now, but I have to keep it together for my DS.

I started this sali/histamine/amine ED because I suspect this is a problem and literally have no other option right now to my knowledge and judgment on how to try and sort this issue out for DS.

Today my DS is AWFUL. One of the worst flare ups ever. He has passed so much water, mucous, whatever, there is blood in his stool, he is clearly miserable and irritated. Every time he feeds he poops this stuff. He cut his first tooth today and he is climbing the walls with that too. He is so off, it is scaring me.

The only fat I was eating was ghee. I thought that would be okay but it seems that it has caused the bleeding. Been eating it around 5-6 days. It has to be that. Can't be last night's flaxseeds, although it could have contributed to his upset tummy, but then again so could the teething. He started to flare up ever so slowly since the ghee (started with a worsening of his neck rash) but I wasn't sure as I was trying out the non-sali foods which I wasn't eating before (leek, pear, sushi rice, potato, like one or two small portions per day).

Believe me, if there was ANY kind of formula I would feel happy to give my son right now whilst I pump and dump for a while to loose the allergens/chemicals/whatever in my milk, so that he could heal whilst I figure it out, I would do it. But I bloody hate the ingredients in the Neocate for example - I am at my wits end with this - really I am.

I don't care about the inconvenience of a limited diet - that is not my problem. I've been free of practically everything for months now and haven't eaten anything that I haven't made myself. Right now I am down to lamb, chicken and pear. I am frying the meat in its own fat.

I remember trying palm oil when he was a newborn and he was totally reacting to it (I remembered this today). So I won't be trialling that anytime soon.

Just need to get him to baseline as fast as possible.

What I can see happening is that my supply will go down and I really don't think there will be much of an alternative but to either bf whilst eating stuff that upsets him as little as pos, or do elemental formulas or both.

What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks so much
xxx
#266 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM

Hugs mama, what a rough road!

It sounds like the reaction this week could be from probiotics (FOS is very hard on an irritated gut), one of the new foods you were eating - ghee, potatoes, flax, etc, and possibly made worse by teething.

I'd try for a few days (like 3-4) to eat your very limited foods and see if he heals - so give both of you lots of Epsom salts baths (those help with reactions). If he gets back to a better place (I know baseline is hard to find for you), then you need to start adding some foods to try to find a more balanced diet. And I'd start trying to get the mag/mo/B6/C/methyl B12 supps on board, as well as a good B vitamin for you. Can you get Thorne in the UK - they have a basic B complex that is very good, with the right kind of folates.

I'm also going to suggest you start an "about him" thread if you haven't, and collect all your background into one place - you'll get more help than sticking it in this thread.

#267 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks so much for your time and help mamafish

I also suspect the probiotics but didn't think about it today for some reason. I stopped them the day before yesterday as I was suspicious about them.

I'm thinking (when I am able to think!) along the same lines as you are - I will stick to lamb, chicken and pear with a little unrefined pure sea salt for the rest of this week. I may even see the best improvement with him so far, I won't be surprised. Any improvement will be my tip to move forward. Also, we'll do the baths...

As for the supps, do you mean giving everything to him directly (but not the b complex)? I think we do have Thorne here, let me go look it up.

Thanks so much xxx
#268 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Okay, found some Thorne in the UK - just going through what is available in their product range...
#269 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Hugs mama, what a rough road!

I'm also going to suggest you start an "about him" thread if you haven't, and collect all your background into one place - you'll get more help than sticking it in this thread.
Thanks for the tip - I will start that tonight when I can come up for air. Found this magnesium in the UK so far: Kirkman Magnesium Glycinate. Seeing as I'm not eating so much, I can spend the food budget on these supps
#270 of 391 Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

We've used that mag glycinate and like it - it does taste bleck, so take lots for you, and see if you can sneak a little bit into your DS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page