Salicylate/Amine/Histamine Sensitive Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread for those of us struggling through understanding salicylate and/or -amine sensitivity specifically (and any other compound that is found in a wide variety of apparently healthy foods and body products.) I know mamafish is dealing with this, but who else? What tipped you off to the sensitivity? What symptoms do you get? What are your biggest challenges thus far in dealing with it? And what are some new foods or products that you love?

My first DS, almost 3, has multiple food allergies which were all figured out before he was a year old. However, I was constantly dogged by the idea that there was *something* else. My family (DH in particular) got very eye-rolley with me-- they would tease me that everything negative DS did "must be a food allergy." But I was sure there was something else.

The strange thing was that he would react to a food sometimes in a very minor way, but not react to that same food at some other time. (The chief culprits were citrus, strawberries, cinnamon, pineapple, and tomato products.) He would get irritated around the mouth to varying degrees. He would also develop a urine-based diaper rash very quickly even though we do Elimination Communication and he wouldn't have been sitting in a wet diaper. It was enough for him to have had one miss, get the pee on his skin, and BAM- 1/2 hour later, angry red rash. It's also true that he gets what I now recognize is urinary incontinence with a high sals load-- so we would have more misses during those times. I would try everything on the rash (including copious amounts of aloe and aloe-containing hydrocortosone) and nothing would help. And then, just as quickly as it came, it would be gone. Just like that. With no apparent correlation to what I put on it or didn't.

And the real confusing thing was that on occasion, for no apparent reason (i.e., he nor I had had any of the "big" allergens he can't tolerate-- dairy, egg white, nuts, or shellfish)-- he would suddenly just be covered (and I mean covered) in angry, angry eczema or hives.

I've also really noticed that he gets very needy and clingy... and that it comes in waves. This caused me to be really paranoid about sleep, figuring it was just that he would get really overtired. I spent a lot of his babyhood trying to get him to sleep. Now, I wonder if he wasn't tired, but just processing chemicals-- or, I guess, failing to process chemicals.

We're struggling through strawberry season right now. We have a huge strawberry patch in our backyard, and he is crazy about them. He had perhaps a bit too many over the last couple of days, and ended up with slight diaper rash (though he is potty trained), urinary incontinence (which gets more traumatic for him the older he gets) , slight eczema in his creases (though that could be due to the piece of cheese I ate on Tuesday), and the whinies. Oh, the whinies. It makes me crazy.

We are discovering that epsom salt baths are WONDERFUL. He comes out mellow and they seem to help in the long run, too.

But I am eager to build a little sals-amine support group here. Who are the rest of y'all, and how are you doing?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#2 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just came on to ask about sulfites and salicylates because someone mentioned that might be the problem for my neighbor's kids (on/off hives, asthma, reflux -- both tested negative to all the usual IgE suspects). I need to look up the lists of foods this means for them....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM

kids just finished lunch, so i'm subbing for now. BBL.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#4 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM

We have sals issues here, too. But ours seem to be very mild and we only get reactions when the bucket is really full, which is rarely these days.

I had an interstitial cystitis diagnosis when I was in my teens, but I only had symptoms for about a month. Dd has had cystitis symptoms twice now without an infection and I am quite sure this was from sals overload.

Dd has also had random face rashes from food, notably oranges, pineapple, & strawberries, too. She also totally freaked out the one time I wore perfume when she was an infant. I have panic attacks in heavily perfumed areas (cosmetic counter at malls).

We use only baking soda and vinegar to clean. ( I recently had a reaction to Mrs. Meyer's geranium kitchen spray - light-headed, nauseous).
Only Dove unscented bar soap in bath. I wash my hair with baking soda and vinegar.

I'll add more later.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 PM

We're here ...

DS is very sensitive to sals right now, and figuring out how to "spend" his limited allotment to get the best nutrients into him is tricky. Right now I'm focusing on low stomach acid - I think that is hampering his nutrient digestion, so that he doesn't have the things he needs for his detox pathways to work well, meaning sals sensitivity, and probably some other stuff!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#6 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM

I had interstitial cystitis, insomnia and IBS.

DS was just like yours Aletheia, whiny, urinary incontinence, eczema, mouth rashes, insomnia to same high sal foods: tomatoes, cinnamon, pineapple, strawberries, citrus, etc.

Strangely enough, epsom salts baths make him hyper. Me too. I do magnesium oil in AM after shower, but at night it keeps me awake. Wondering if it stimulates ATP energy.

We are starting nutrient loading for him now: Molybdenum and sulfur. And he taste tested low in zinc.

Evidence base for the Management of Sulphate Deficiency
http://www.healthgeneration.com/inde...ask=view&id=55
#7 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
We are starting nutrient loading for him now: Molybdenum and sulfur. And he taste tested low in zinc.

Evidence base for the Management of Sulphate Deficiency
http://www.healthgeneration.com/inde...ask=view&id=55
Jane, how did you taste test for zinc?

In your link, I thought this was interesting:

Quote:
Promote a nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory and fibre-rich, organic diet of vegetables and whole grains with moderate intakes of fruit and essential fatty acids. Include only a moderate increase of brassica vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, sprouts and organosulphur compounds such as garlic and onions as a threshold for absorption of dietary sulphate is ≈0.22g S/d 31. Include MSM foods such as fruit, alfalfa, corn, tomatoes and milk 21. Increase intake of molybdenum-containing foods including: buckwheat, wheat germ, barley oats, lima beans, canned beans, lentils, green beans, liver and sunflower seeds 43.
Low sals tends to increase a lot of the veggies they say to only increase moderately, and leave out a lot of the MSM foods. We're doing well on our molybdenum though! (I'm trying to get brave enough to do liver - blug, I hate liver!)

#8 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 03:52 PM

And don't forget histamine foods...
from here

Quote:
The foods most commonly reported to induce urticaria are shellfish, fish, egg, nuts, chocolate, berries, tomatoes, cheese, milk, and wheat.

Foods reported to release histamine directly from mast cells are uncooked egg whites, shellfish, strawberries, tomatoes, fish, chocolate, pineapple and alcohol.
Cinnamon is also on the list elsewhere. Dd's red rash where raw tomato touches it depends on her folate/methyl group status. It's also probably relevant that *fresh* tomatoes aren't that high in sals, it's when they're concentrated into a sauce or paste or whatever that the sals load gets really high.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#9 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Cinnamon is also on the list elsewhere. Dd's red rash where raw tomato touches it depends on her folate/methyl group status. It's also probably relevant that *fresh* tomatoes aren't that high in sals, it's when they're concentrated into a sauce or paste or whatever that the sals load gets really high.
While fresh tomatoes aren't very high in sals, they seem to be at the top of most sals reactive people's list of problem foods - I'm guessing that many folks with sals sensitivity probably have some "co-occurring" sensitivities that make tomatoes more of a problem. DS reacts to potatoes, I haven't tried any other nightshades yet, but the first tomatoes of the season just hit our farmer's market, so I'll probably do that this week...

ETA: Jane, for nutrient loading for Mo, are you just doing high Mo foods, or a supp? Shannon, what Mo are you managing to get your DD to take?

#10 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
While fresh tomatoes aren't very high in sals, they seem to be at the top of most sals reactive people's list of problem foods - I'm guessing that many folks with sals sensitivity probably have some "co-occurring" sensitivities that make tomatoes more of a problem. DS reacts to potatoes, I haven't tried any other nightshades yet, but the first tomatoes of the season just hit our farmer's market, so I'll probably do that this week...

ETA: Jane, for nutrient loading for Mo, are you just doing high Mo foods, or a supp? Shannon, what Mo are you managing to get your DD to take?
Yeah... We have nightshade issues, but I don't know what to make of them. Tomatoes used to give a rash, but that goes away with folate. Eggplant seems to give a reaction - our only skin reaction (plus a gut one). Potatoes seem to give a gut reaction, but haven't been officially tested. They have a lot of evidence against them, though. Nothing that I can point to with peppers yet.

The country life tablets are tasteless (they're mostly starch) and break up in warm water, but don't completely dissolve. The nutracology is easy non-offensive drops, but I haven't actually gotten any into dd yet. Tempted to do it while she's sleeping...

#11 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Posting to learn more. DS tested negative for everything on his RAST at 6 months, but I know he reacts. I also discovered that I have issues as well. Gluten caused a return of fair loss (AA) and nightshades cause my joints to be "poppy".

DS sounds like yours...he has itching in the corners of his mouth which he will scratch til it bleeds, and sometimes it looks like eczema around his mouth, though someone mentioned the possibility of angular stomatitis (still trying to figure out of that's it or not). At one point, he was covered head to toe in the eczema, not long after his 2nd round of vaxs (stopped at 9 months). Very whiny and easily upset at times, has occassional chunks of food and army green poops, some looser than others, has red/dark circles around eyes sometimes. Sleeps 2-3 hours stretches on good nights, but sometimes it's hourly waking. Don't know if thpse are all typical sal/am issues, but those are mostly the issues we have.

I started feeding him strawberries this month, and it was fine one day, and the next day, he started scratching the corners of his mouth again. Same with raw apples (I'd previously only given them to him raw) and beans that I'd soaked in lemon.

Anyway, I have suspected salicylates/amines but don't know where to start. This looks like a good place for learning. Thanks for starting the thread!
#12 of 391 Old 06-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The nutracology is easy non-offensive drops, but I haven't actually gotten any into dd yet. Tempted to do it while she's sleeping...
::

She'll need therapy when she grows up .

#13 of 391 Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
::

She'll need therapy when she grows up .
Hopefully if I can correct her deficiencies she won't...

#14 of 391 Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Hopefully if I can correct her deficiencies she won't...
If anyone can wrap their head around nutrient deficiencies, I trust you will . She's a lucky kiddo.

#15 of 391 Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jane, how did you taste test for zinc?
I was curious about this too, and found this online:
(http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T291481.html)
Quote:
The best method of accurately determining zinc status is through measuring white blood cell levels. Since this test is not readily available and may be more expensive, serum zinc is routinely used as a screening tool.

Hair levels may show deficiencies or excesses but are generally not considered as reliable as other tests of zinc status. While low hair zinc is likely to be indicative of poor zinc status, elevated hair zinc may be indicative of low zinc in the cells or contamination from the use of zinc-containing shampoos.

The zinc taste test appears to be of some value in determining general zinc status. The test is based on the knowledge that the functions of taste and smell are dependent upon there being sufficient zinc available in the body. Thus, if zinc is deficient then taste function will be diminished. This principle is utilised in the taste test by offering a standard test solution of zinc sulphate for tasting. The response is then compared with a series of defined standards and the zinc status thus determined.

DirectionsThis simple, non-toxic zinc taste test uses a test solution of zinc sulphate in purified water, at a concentration of 1gm/liter. Once prepared, the solution should be stored in a refrigerator and discarded after six months. The solution should be removed from storage and left at room temperature for about two hours before carrying out the test. The test involves taking a sip of the solution (approximately 5-10ml) and holding it in the mouth exactly ten seconds. Due to the possible influence of recently consumed food or drink on the taste experienced, it is essential that neither be taken for approximately one hour before the test.

Expected OutcomeFor the zinc taste test, the defined standards are:

1. Grade one response: no specific taste sensation: tastes like plain water. This indicates a major deficiency of zinc requiring a supplement of at least 150mg of zinc per day.
2. Grade two response: no immediate taste is noticed but, within the ten seconds of the test, a 'dry' or 'metallic' taste is experienced. This indicates a moderate deficiency requiring a supplement of 100mg of zinc per day.
3. Grade three response: an immediate slight taste is noted, which increases with time over the ten second period. This indicates a deficiency of minor degree requiring a supplement of 50mg per day.
4. Grade four response: an immediate, strong and unpleasant taste is experienced. This indicates that no zinc deficiency exists. If this is the response to the first test done then obviously the diet already contains sufficient zinc and no supplement need be taken. If this is the response, however, after a period of zinc supplementation then the diet, prior to the supplement being given, must be assumed to have been deficient. Thus, if a relapse to this deficient state is to be further prevented a regular maintenance dose of zinc is required. One 15-20mg dose per day is usually sufficient for this purpose.
JaneS, is this what you guys did?

#16 of 391 Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Well, that would be tough with a 2yo without enough receptive language to follow those directions . I'll stick with the assumption he's low on zinc!

#17 of 391 Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 AM

... subbing :

ETA - I am curious about salycilates and food cravings. I know that people often crave foods they have an intolerance to. I have noticed that DS2 consistently asks for foods which have high salycilates, I am wondering if those are not the foods he is reacting to? I am still trying to work out exactly what triggers his behaviours (clingy, needy, tantrums - more than most kids I know) some days he is just completely impossible to be around.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#18 of 391 Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Subbing!

I am on the failsafe diet. I believe I am sals sensitive, amine and histamine. I avoid a lot of foods now. I was doing ok with tomatoes but this summer they seem to cause my glands in my neck to swell every time I ate (canned tomatoe/pizza sauce) so I finally gave that and chocolate up (those were my last things I was trying to hold on to).

My symptoms were lump in throat, tongue tingling, facial swelling, lip swelling, wheezing, sinus problems, runny nose ... and now later I realize that anxiety/panic was also related to my diet. With this failsafe diet I'm a much calmer/placid feeling person.

I believe my kids all have this to a degree, too. We haven't started the diet on them yet. My oldest has autism and had gut issues; my 4 yr old has ezcema (it is finally gone -- but I have to watch what sunscreen we use, that he doesn't eat processed foods, no chocolate and no fake cheese, no strawberries); my 2 yr old gets diarrhea from bananas.
#19 of 391 Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM

just wanted to bump this.

I'm working hard on the sals, histamine thing.

I really want to get coconut back.

I just got the Mo that whome mentioned. I'm hoping that by giving him an easy but strong source will help him consistently get enough Mo.

I need to work harder on sulfate. MSM is too strong for us (or at least when i tested a few months ago). The baths aren't working. I'm going to look into other things.

Any discussion on lowering your histamine response? my new md was talking about putting my 3 year old on singular because it would lower his histamine response, thus allowing him to hopefully eat more food and heal more. We won't be doing singular, but I do think focusing on reducing histamine would be a worthy cause for us.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#20 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM

I think the thing that has helped most with sals for us has been balancing our intake of omega 3s & 6s. We haven't bumped up our 3s much (I don't like CLO that much, so we're just eating more salmon - DS loves salmon patties). But we've gotten our 6s intake down in a huge way. I use ghee and coconut oil as our fats (and yeah, he's tolerating coconut oil now!), and some olive oil for flavor. And we get 6s in nuts. But that's way less than before.

So maybe that would help with histamines too, just decreasing inflamation in general?

I'm also giving DS brainchild's intestimend supp, which has some sulfate type stuff in it, and a decent amount of biotin, which I suspect is more important. So maybe biotin supps?

#21 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 AM

yeah i think biotin would help. his cradle cap is back. I'm not getting enough fermented food in him, which would help with biotin (or something like that).

how do you think you got coconut? how did you get to that point? I really want it for health reasons.

#22 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 AM

Methylation is supposed to detox histamine - folate and B12. Does that help?

#23 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
yeah i think biotin would help. his cradle cap is back. I'm not getting enough fermented food in him, which would help with biotin (or something like that).

how do you think you got coconut? how did you get to that point? I really want it for health reasons.
Danged if I know for sure, but my best theory is balancing our omega 3/6s. I am REALLY pale, and I laughed when I read about lots of omega 3s decreasing sunburn. No chance, I burn in 10 seconds. Except this summer, I can be out in the pool in mid afternoon for an hour with no sunscreen. And I haven't burned once. Not all summer. And I only put sunscreen on my nose. That's lifechanging for me (I literally hide in shadows when the sun is at it's peak), but it really drove home to me how much the BALANCE of omegas matters.

Like I said, we really haven't increased our omega 3s a lot. But clearly my inflammation levels are way different now, so I'm assuming the same is true for DS. There was a thread a while back about how some Australian researchers treated sals sensitivity with massive doses of fish oil, and in the thread we talked about how whether they only needed the huge doses because they had to balance the huge amount of omega 6s in most peoples' diets? Well, I think it's true, that part of sals is an inflammation reaction, and if you can bring down your inflammation, you can really impact sals sensitivity. I'd love to see someone else try it to see if it works .

#24 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Methylation is supposed to detox histamine - folate and B12. Does that help?
I've just ordered (or am I still looking? can't remember) a new sublingual B12 that is corn free. We are getting B12 from Thorne multi, but I can't assume we are absorbing it. We are definitely getting adequate folate.

mamafish - we are still burning. Our main fats are bacon, palm oil, olive and avocado. I need to go confirm where they are in omegas.

I will keep you updated.

#25 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM

This is all so fascinating! I wanted to mention that I sharted a new blog about my journey through the failsafe diet (mostly recipe based and idea based at this point). I was really depressed and scared over the lack of food in my diet and then I really started searching for what I could eat instead of what I couldn't. Please let me know if there are any recipes you guys could include on this if you are doing the failsafe diet or low sals/histamine diet.
#26 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

can anyone post the link to the omegas study thread mamafish was talking about? my searches don't turn it up.

i'd heard about that new australian study on the salicylate yahoo group, too, but would like to know more about balancing omegas.

I'm also happy to report that we are (DRUMROLL PLEASE) at BASELINE with my almost three year old for the FIRST TIME EVER. His skin is beautiful! His poops are perfect! His mood is even! Managing the sals sucks, but we are finally coasting in happy land. Thanks so much to everyone here!

#27 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Dietary Fish Oil Reduces Basal and Ultraviolet B-Generated PGE2 Levels in Skin and Increases the Threshold to Provocation of Polymorphic Light Eruption

I think we were talking about it in the prostaglandin and EFAs thread, not sure if it made it to another...

#28 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
mamafish - we are still burning. Our main fats are bacon, palm oil, olive and avocado. I need to go confirm where they are in omegas.
Those are all OK, I think - olive oil is about 1:10 for omega 3:6, but that's way better than sun/saff/canola oils. Do you do any prepared foods, or alternative milks that have oils in them? I was astonished when I realized the number of foods that have omega 6 rich oils in them...

Where do you get your palm oil, I need a good cheap source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
I'm also happy to report that we are (DRUMROLL PLEASE) at BASELINE with my almost three year old for the FIRST TIME EVER. His skin is beautiful! His poops are perfect! His mood is even! Managing the sals sucks, but we are finally coasting in happy land. Thanks so much to everyone here!
Aletheia, that's awesome, how nice for both of you! Hopefully once he has some time on low sals, his tolerance for them will increase.

#29 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Those are all OK, I think - olive oil is about 1:10 for omega 3:6, but that's way better than sun/saff/canola oils. Do you do any prepared foods, or alternative milks that have oils in them? I was astonished when I realized the number of foods that have omega 6 rich oils in them...
So maybe it's more about containing the inflammation than what the 3:6 ratio is. There are a bunch of things that cause inflammation, and more that keep it going. I think my inflammation is more insulin resistance than food sensitivities/chemical sensitivities/celiac/EFA ratios... And until I figure out the insulin resistance, everything else is just a bandaid.

#30 of 391 Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
So maybe it's more about containing the inflammation than what the 3:6 ratio is. There are a bunch of things that cause inflammation, and more that keep it going. I think my inflammation is more insulin resistance than food sensitivities/chemical sensitivities/celiac/EFA ratios... And until I figure out the insulin resistance, everything else is just a bandaid.
Yeah, I don't know. One possibility is that in someone (like maybe me) who doesn't have a "built in" source of inflammation, omega 3:6 imbalance can create it anyhow. I think for DS that undigested food ravaging his gut (gluten, casein, starches, sugars, sals) was creating inflammation, and maybe his metals load as well.

Not sunburning really caught my attention, but other things are better too - my menstrual cramps (from totally awful to pretty minor), DS' teething (from totally awful to tolerable)... My family history is loaded with RA and other inflammation issues, so it doesn't surprise me we're sensitive. I just don't feel like we did a huge amount to address it, beyond lowering omega 6's, a little biotin, and removing some of the worst inflammation sources.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page