My Head Is Spinning... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've read dozens of threads and a stack of books. All of it seems to be a blur right now.

I have tons of questions but the current situation that is bothering me right now is my daughters bum. Every time she poops it burns her skin. Immediately. I can be right there wiping her as it comes out but any place her skin is touched by it is red and raw.

She also gets rashes on the back and tummy. And sometimes her cheeks breakout and look like her skin is cracking.

I'll eliminate something, it clears for a while and then comes back.

So far we are gf, and have also eliminated tomatoes, strawberries, bananas, avocados, and anything with latex or that I understand to be cross-reactive.

I'm afraid I may have sensitized to rice, so that is the next thing I'll cut.

We are pretty much exclusively bf'ing right now. She is 6mo and got her first solids within the last few weeks. So far she has had very tiny bites of blueberries (no skins), applesauce, gf cereal with butter, milk, and jelly, and mashed potatoes with butter and salt. I tried some egg yolk with her this morning, because dd3 loved them but she spit it back out and threw up a little bit later, so those are out for now.

I have done the elimination diet with the top 8 and that didn't seem to make it any better and she didn't get worse when I slowly added all but gluten back in.

I now I've got some gut healing to do but am feeling a bit overwhelmed with a husband having some issues and he has symptoms (whereas I feel fine or at least as "normal" as always), and I guess with limited resources I am thinking his is a more immediate need.

So, what can I do to help my baby??? Keep eliminating? Add something to my diet? I can't afford supplements.

Thanks.

#2 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm heading to bed, but check Where to start? Help 101

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 7 Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 AM

Dairy is THE #1 food allergy. Have you tried cutting it for a few weeks (100%- watching for hidden ingredients) to see if that helps?

Are you keeping a food journal? That, plus elimination/trialing, is really the only way to figure out multiple food allergies/intolerances.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 7 Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 AM

I know I sound like a broken record around here, but you might consider salicylate sensitivity. Red cheeks, rashes, and very acidic poo would all fit for that. Sorry, nak, that's the short version!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#5 of 7 Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 AM

for you dd's bum, have you tried calmoseptine? it can be hard to find (they usually sell it at places where you can buy durable medical equipment) but it is the best thing ever for serious bum problems like that.

it is mostly zinc oxide, but it also has menthol in it, which seems like it woud burn, but it doesn't. it does cause more blood flow to the area though, which promotes healing.
we've only had to use it on dd once (for a few days) but it was a life saver when she got a chemical burn from our attempt at using sposies for traveling
#6 of 7 Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM

If you did the top 8 with no improvement, I would suggest you add corn to that and try again. It's a common (and growing) pediatric allergen.
#7 of 7 Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks. I just have a minute and will be back to read more in detail. (Thanks for the link Pat!)

I did remove the corn also when I did the ed. I will try the dairy again. I don't generally eat a lot but I did have ice cream and cheese this week, which could be the culprit for this latest outbreak.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page